• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Are you asking if a company that owes much of its success to the mod community will allow the Steambox to support mods?

I'm wondering what it would be like. How would it be regulated so that people don't just cheat all the time? Would there be restrictions for certain games/playlists?

7threst

This. I know some people who know about Steam and how much cheaper they can get games there, but don't get into it because they don't like gaming on PCs for various reasons.

This is me. That's why a Steambox would be great. Steambox + Nintendo console & handheld sounds great to me.

Mandoric

Banned
im a bit confused doesnt linux only mean most steam games wont work?

Depending on how optimistic you are, backward compatibility will likely (assuming a WINE or similar wrapper) range somewhere between slim PS3 and launch 360. Absolute worst case, basically, yeah.

I'm fine with this, even being Linux based. People saying "But only a handful of games run on Linux", well how many games run on any newly launched console? That's right, only a handful. You don't need more than a small strong launch lineup to introduce a new console, it's how it's been done for decades. More games will come with time.

This is like a Valve console, not a PC replacement. The Steam branding is the source of confusion/disappointment for many, but for the tons of gamers who are not yet invested in Steam, it won't matter.

manzo

The objective with something like Steambox is (I assume) not "Hey, you guys who own a PC, use Steam, and like Valve games! Buy this new piece of hardware!", but instead "Hey, you guys who do not use Steam or PC regularly/at all, but are interested in Steam services and Valve games! Here's hardware for you!".

How I see the problem with that is the current segregation that's happening on the PC market thanks for EA and Ubisoft trying to put their own games exclusive to their own services. Steam is not alone in this one - and now that Steambox would be Linux only, you get even more segregation...

Still waiting to be able to buy Battlefield 3 from Steam. :(

iceatcs

I'm really want to able to play all of my steam collection on day one with this box, but I don't think it will happen especially 3rd party publishers rather not let it happen.

Jb

I'm fine with this, even being Linux based. People saying "But only a handful of games run on Linux", well how many games run on any newly launched console? That's right, only a handful. You don't need more than a small strong launch lineup to introduce a new console, it's how it's been done for decades. More games will come with time.

This is like a Valve console, not a PC replacement. The Steam branding is the source of confusion/disappointment for many, but for the tons of gamers who are not yet invested in Steam, it won't matter.

But Valve doesn't make enough games to justify the investment, and 3rd parties won't port their games to linux unless there's enough buyers out there. It just doesn't seem very appealing to buy a box that only plays a bunch of old Valve titles and some interesting indie games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You mean fostering the growth of a non-Windows audience. With Win 8, MS seems to be pushing for a transition to a Microsoft-branded app store model as an integral part of the platform moving forward. How is that enticing from Valve's perspective? What do they stand to gain from it? Seems reasonable that they're looking for an alternative.

Obviously that wouldn't be enticing to Valve, but the idea that future Windows applications will need to be distributed through the Microsoft Store is nothing more than a presumed inevitability that, given Microsoft's past run-ins with anti-trust law, is highly unlikely to actually eventuate. Valve alienating its current Windows users -- that's ~95% of the Steam userbase -- because of such a grand fear would be rather ridiculous. Even if Valve did decide to drop Windows altogether, there's no need to do so until it's deemed absolutely necessary, as those invested in the platform will move with the tide.

I'm wondering what it would be like. How would it be regulated so that people don't just cheat all the time? Would there be restrictions for certain games/playlists?

It would be like how things are right now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
One of biggest downsides to Steam is that you can only log in on computer to play games at any one time. I've never tried it across two different OSs, does that make a difference? If there's no difference, isn't that another problem?

JaseC

One of biggest downsides to Steam is that you can only log in on computer to play games at any one time. I've never tried it across two different OSs, does that make a difference? If there's no difference, isn't that another problem?

No, it wouldn't make a difference. Concurrent logins across the same device type are not possible at this juncture (meaning you can be logged into Steam on your PC as well as your mobile, but not on two PCs).

Doikor

But Valve doesn't make enough games to justify the investment, and 3rd parties won't port their games to linux unless there's enough buyers out there. It just doesn't seem very appealing to buy a box that only plays a bunch of old Valve titles and some interesting indie games.

Developing a linux version of a game is going to be a lot more easier if you just do it for one single distro (steambox) and a limited hardware set (steambox) so you might see more linux port for it then usual. A big problem with porting games to linux is driver problems and the distros fragmentation. Both of these problems should be taken care of with valves own linux box.

As I said before, Valve might be a great company but they simply lack the manpower that enough to run a big business like video games console manufacturer. I think that Steamboat will not be a typical games console like most people here imagine, I'd argue that it's targeted toward PC gamers than the other way around.

Gowans

I said this in an other thread but I think this is a Android box (Ouya) or AppleTV competitor from Valve. It makes a tonne more sense to me.

Danj

I don't really get the draw for Steambox if it's Linux based but I guess nice if some do. More competition is good.

I think the idea is to get comfy couch gamers into PC gaming via the back door. Present them a PC that looks and works like a console (boots up straight into Steam Big Picture mode for example). They'll have to use an SSD as a boot drive to make it work though, console gamers won't put up with regular Linux PC boot times.

imjust1n

Banned
If this happens I will be alllll about the system and will not buy PS4 or 720, but onlyyyy if I can transfer my steam library over to the system.

Depending on price, exclusives and DRM measures I might be getting this.
I like the fact that the system will be Linux based, hoping for some customisation potential.

Burai

shitonmychest57
How I see the problem with that is the current segregation that's happening on the PC market thanks for EA and Ubisoft trying to put their own games exclusive to their own services. Steam is not alone in this one - and now that Steambox would be Linux only, you get even more segregation...

Still waiting to be able to buy Battlefield 3 from Steam. :(

I'm not sure your worry makes much sense. PCs are "segregated" by their flexible nature anyway. Not all PC gamers have access to the same content on Steam whether that be due to their choice of platform, their PCs being too old or, ironically, their PCs being too new.

You're basically advocating a closed-down system that eliminates all competition to Valve and all choice in the hardware people buy. That's not PC gaming.

Skunkers

I don't see what the big deal is. I highly doubt Valve will close this thing off with security. And Big Picture mode is available for all versions of Steam.

1) Buy Steambox and hook it up
2) Format the bitch
3) Insert Windows 7 install thumb drive
4) Install Windows 7 and Steam
5) ?
6) Profit

They just don't want to pay MS licensing and deal with MS viewing them as a direct competitor to the Xbox.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If Valve can bring this shit to market for $350 or less I'd jump. Make Left 4 Dead 3 a launch showpiece!

Too many damned PC exclusives I want to try that I'll never get to, and I bet pretty much every PC game of note going forward would be made compatible.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™

gabbre

I don't see what the big deal is. I highly doubt Valve will close this thing off with security. And Big Picture mode is available for all versions of Steam.

2) Format the bitch
5) ?
6) Profit

They just don't want to pay MS licensing and deal with MS viewing them as a direct competitor to the Xbox.
What if it has a locked bootloader?

Harlock

* I hope the SteamBox will allow dual boot, if you wish install Windows and have access to the full Steam catalog.

KAL2006

Banned

2) Format the bitch
5) ?
6) Profit

Bingo, also install Netflix, VLC Player, Dolphin, MAME, PCX2 emulators and it will be the ultimate game machine/media centre.

JaseC

What if it has a locked bootloader?

I don't see Valve restricting choice. No doubt the shipped configuration will be the only one that's officially supported, but essentially closing off the platform is antithetical to what Valve appreciates about the PC as a platform. Everybody wins if the device is left malleable -- those who don't see the need or are otherwise unwilling to fiddle with the machine beyond its default configuration get exactly what they pay for while "power users" can turn the device into something more.

7threst

2) Format the bitch
5) ?
6) Profit

I highly doubt it'll be that easy...

Sorc3r3r

So we have steam running on windows with all his games, and steambox with few of them, we have the pc space that is still and will be open, and the steambox able to run just what Gabe want, or what devs may want to port on it.
Put like this there is no sense in what Valve is doing.
So there will be and there must be a strong exclusive game policy, as usual it is the software that drives the hardware.

What we will get Gabe?
Gimme games i cant have anywhere else and i will begin to think to give you some of my money.

Mario007

Just wondering, so the Steambox will basically be allowing you to play Steam games on your TV. But couldn't you do that anyway with the HDMI out output and the Big Picture mode from steam?

Just wondering, so the Steambox will basically be allowing you to play Steam games on your TV. But couldn't you do that anyway with the HDMI out output and the Big Picture mode from steam?

I kinda feel like this product is for me. I like PC gaming, but feel like building a PC is to complex. Plus if given the choice between Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or Valve I would chose to have Valve as my company of choice.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well if that's the case, and given the limitation that Linux will offer at the start, why would anyone who has a steam account and thus presumably a PC want to bother with a Steambox?

The assumption is that they'll open up some of the limitations of Linux with this if it becomes a big success.

wsippel

Banned
I don't see Valve restricting choice. No doubt the shipped configuration will be the only one that's officially supported, but essentially closing off the platform is antithetical to what Valve appreciates about the PC as a platform. Everybody wins if the device is left malleable -- those who don't see the need or are otherwise unwilling to fiddle with the machine beyond its default configuration get exactly what they pay for while "power users" can turn the device into something more.
It's possible they use non-standard hardware for performance or economic reasons. Linux technically doesn't require a BIOS/ EFI for example and boots a little faster on systems without that PC cruft. The hardware wouldn't be locked, but Windows simply wouldn't support it.

Mario007

I kinda feel like this product is for me. I like PC gaming, but feel like building a PC is to complex. Plus if given the choice between Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or Valve I would chose to have Valve as my company of choice.
But wouldn't buy a set box with Steam on it, essentially a console, basically mean all the advantages of PC gaming would be gone? That would mostly related to the hardware being set in stone for a few years.
The assumption is that they'll open up some of the limitations of Linux with this if it becomes a big success.
Oh so like a trojan horse for linux? That could be interesting.

R1CHO

Well if that's the case, and given the limitation that Linux will offer at the start, why would anyone who has a steam account and thus presumably a PC want to bother with a Steambox?

a) People buy dumb shit all the time
b) People don't have their pcs connected with their tvs
c) Maybe it's not going to be just the linux catalog, and uses some compatibility layer.
n) etc

JaseC

It's possible they use non-standard hardware for performance or economic reasons. Linux technically doesn't require a BIOS/ EFI for example and boots a little faster on systems without that PC cruft. The hardware wouldn't be locked, but Windows simply wouldn't support it.

Fair point, but I have my doubts. We'll know soon enough, in any case.

Not really up to date with linux, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but do Amazon, Hulu and Netflix have linux versions of their video apps?

Krelian

I'm very interested in this. I can see myself buying one in the future if they get it right. I don't care about my Steam library (don't have a big one anyway) and in time they will get more and more games Steambox-certified for sure.
Not really up to date with linux, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but do Amazon, Hulu and Netflix have linux versions of their video apps?
I don't think so. If Valve is successful with their idea there's nothing preventing the companies from developing one, though, if that's why you're asking.

Fjordson

Very interesting. As of now, I'm not really sure what the point of a Steambox is but...I guess that's why I'm not running Valve.

Top Bottom