• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Introducing Pipeline

adg1034

tkr5YsL.jpg

8pnZdwr.jpg

Hello, Austin!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I signed up! I'm still quite young, and if I'm not successful at what I'm doing right now, I'd rather just get into this.

blamite

from the FAQ

Yup... the future

"'Pipeline' however, best displays the ideas that this team is working with. The idea of directing information at people who want it. The name pipeline displays a direct feed of knowledge from Valve to the general public."

This reads like something straight out of a bad high school essay. It's actually kind of adorable, in a "awww, I used to write like that too" kind of way.

Also they write video games as one word which is pretty lame.

McSpidey

I could't tell you how many times I've heard from game developers how useless most "game schools/courses" are (there are exceptions obviously), so so this is an interesting experiment that I think should work pretty well PROVIDED Valve senior devs actually spend time with/work with the newbies.

People are fast practical learners when given the chance and who knows what we'll get with a new generation of devs not specifically bred for the role.

Dear Valve,

Here's an idea: Before you set up yet more stupid distractions, why not concentrate on bringing down your average customer support response from about 1 1/2 years to, I don't know, 24 hours like most people?

Love,

Kurtrussell

I laughed. I guess Valve is interested in running its company to the ground by employing uneducated brats instead of qualified professionals.
Fresh blood often generates fresh ideas. And it doesn't take a lifetime to learn a particular field in the game industry. Two or three years and you're pretty much vetted in any one thing.

Fresh blood often generates fresh ideas. And it doesn't take a lifetime to learn a particular field in the game industry. Two or three years and you're pretty much vetted in any one thing.

2 or 3 years is not enough to even become a bottom of the barrel software engineer if you are learning from scratch. You have to be a certified genius to be able to accomplish that without an education. This program should be aimed at Universities, not at high schools. Many of these kids may not even attend higher education.

Shosai

Banned
Got excited until I saw that it was for teenagers and specifically students.

Aim a bit wider Valve. It's a great idea but it's missing the key demographic of the 20+ school leaver who wants that starting point into the industry, despite their school choices.

But teenagers and college students don't expect a salary...

2 or 3 years is not enough to even become a bottom of the barrel software engineer if you are learning from scratch. You have to be a certified genius to be able to accomplish that without an education. This program should be aimed at Universities, not at high schools. Many of these kids may not even attend higher education.
I don't know about engineering so I'm not even going to speak on that but if you're a artist, game designer or sound designer, you should be good two or three years in of doing it for a living for videogames. Especially if you have talent. A formal education is just a formality in those fields.

McSpidey

I think this may also be a way of competing with the current trend of senior, experienced devs going indie/kickstarting their new studio, which is obviously a talent leak that is hard to replace at the same rate.

nickp

Neo Member
This is fucking awesome. Go, Valve!

I have personal experience teaching industry-standard development tools to teenagers and I will say that, given the right tools and guidance, they will blow your mind.

EinSof

interesting that all the kids talking are in positions that have very little to do with video game production. the most being the girl who was a graphic designer, even then that's objectionable.

Smash88

Banned
interesting that all the kids talking are in positions that have very little to do with video game production. the most being the girl who was a graphic designer, even then that's objectionable.

Are you sure you watched the same video as us?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Interesting idea. I have doubts at how applicable the experience acquired at Valve would be to then in turn advise others in terms of the video game industry as a whole. The way Valve does things is certainly... unique.

Top Bottom