• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve is blocking publishers from helping indies bypass Steam Greenlight

VariantX

Greenlight needs to be relaunched or the rules behind it rewritten. Depending on consumers to dictate newcomers in the vidoegame market is strangely myopic and misguided on Valve's part, consumers aren't visionaries or wise enough to say what should or shouldn't be put on Steam.

When customers cant even tell the difference between DayZ and the WarZ, you know you probably shouldn't be relying on them to dictate what shows up on the store.

evangd007

Greenlight is an atrocious mess of a system all around. Consumers don't like it and developers don't like it. I can't believe that Valve is sticking with it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have not heard a single positive thing about Greenlight.

I dont know what Valve are trying to archive keeping this thing around.

what would you replace it with instantly? If they stop Greenlight, they have to have another game submission process to replace it. Unless you go back to the way things were before, which I might remind you guys everyone fucking hated, you have to figure out some other way to do things. That takes time.

The DOTA Company

Basically they will support big games as it brings people to Steam; but smaller titles will only be bought by Steam users. Instead they want them spending their money on Steam's high quality F2P games.

Steam get people spending more time on their free content and those people have more disposable gaming income to buy microtransaction products.

this is the dumbest post

AzaK

Horrible if true. Valve is not always the great company everyone makes them out to be.

Valve is far from it and I think most people see them through Half Life coloured glasses. Every time I hear them talk regarding business related things, you can feel the aggression and seriousness regarding the topic. Now this is obviously great on some ways because they make some great products, but don't think they're a gamer's friend.

inm8num2

Greenlight is an atrocious mess of a system all around. Consumers don't like it and developers don't like it. I can't believe that Valve is sticking with it.

Valve gets to outsource their process of accepting games onto Steam to a community that hasn't given deserving titles like Cognition enough votes in lieu of Slender clones and surgeon simulators. What's not to like? ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was super hyped to play Gunz 2, waited until April 18th's Greenlight list..only to see a Slender clone and already-available Elsword. What a load. Screw Valve.

Wait, GunZ 2 has to go through Steam Greenlight?

Is Serious Sam 4 going to have to?

Sheroking

what would you replace it with instantly? If they stop Greenlight, they have to have another game submission process to replace it. Unless you go back to the way things were before, which I might remind you guys everyone fucking hated, you have to figure out some other way to do things. That takes time.

It's a massive turkey-bone in the throat of what still is the best GOD service around.

If Sony and Nintendo can take massive steps towards indie's self-publishing titles on their own closed platform, Valve has no excuse on the PC.

MrHicks

Banned
Steam can account to like ~80% of total sales sometimes (some ridiculously high amount like that), serious business to get your game on Steam.

Because of the other 20% Valve is fucking people over.

i wonder how much of that is because of these "steam or no sale" idiots you see posting here quite frequently

fuckers are actively encouraging a monopoly

Htown

i wonder how much of that is because of these "steam or no sale" idiots you see posting here quite frequently

fuckers are actively encouraging a monopoly

you don't know what a monopoly is.

go read a book and come back.

FyreWulff

The Greenlight process is a total bust, and continues to promote the falsehood that a digital store has limited shelfspace.

Bad7667

Valve seems pretty far up their ass with the Greenlight experiment in general. They're seemingly more interested in lots of data and patterns to analyze and feed their fascination with automation than just letting good video games through. Popular opinion be damned, having well marketed trash sail through the service while known quantities rot away due to lack of exposure does no favors for an online storefront.

I'm pretty sure Valve would love to be able to look at a title of a game with some pictures and be able to determine if its good or bad. Unfortunately that's not possible. And neither is playing every game they received prior to Greenlight.

Obviously Greenlight hasn't worked the way Valve intended it to, but I'm sure they will improve on it or replace it with something better. Steam was pretty shit when it first shipped.

antitrop

Damn, I'll admit I had the wrong idea of how Greenlight works. I just thought it was a way for indies to get their games on steam when they don't have the backing previously. I didn't know that Greenlight was meant for ALL indie products, and that they have to go through some trial period to get a spot on the store.

That's just unfortunate.

I think that's Valve's fault, because that's how they made it sound conceptually when it first launched.

The greenlight team within valve has grown larger than the old steam team in charge of allowing new games/devs into their service.

Greenlight came into place because of that team being overloaded by submissions so the genius of greenlight was to let the community filter out the gold from the shit.

In turn though, only the large already long term steam publishers are still connected to the old system. And now people are at the mercy of Greenlights automation, and stats. As a dev, you have to basically have a PR team to get in and out of Greenlight successfully and quick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
how would you do it?

I would have people on staff who actively evaluate indie games to pass through and then only have Steam Greenlight exist for games I rejected or have not yet looked at, not for everything.

Anything in like the top 100 on Greenlight (that I hadn't already evaluated) would get evaluated pretty quickly as well and I'd pass through the ones I felt were appropriate immediately after assessment, and then let the community keep bumping up the ones I didn't feel were appropriate until it hits whatever bar Valve currently holds to pass through.

The Greenlight process is a total bust, and continues to promote the falsehood that a digital store has limited shelfspace.

it should be. the number of consumers is finite, and so is the money they're willing to spend. just because valve's approach is wrong, it doesn't mean their goal about limiting which games are sold via the store should be as well

graywolf323

Right, that's the problem. More general-purpose ecommerce vendors are notoriously cheap and Valve seems to be interested in going the same way, but to actually do a good job of stuff like this you just need butts in seats. You could solve a lot of this with some sane upfront policies -- everything from known pubs gets pre-approved, anything from a curated set of indie bundle vendors gets pre-approved, anything that is already out and performing above X level on console or other PC marketplaces gets a free shot -- and then have a small team of people who both deal with incoming applications and scour gaming media for titles to reach out to. Charge a decent amount for developer-requested review, make sure your staff on this are knowledgeable about the state of the industry, and you could dramatically improve this process without spending too much money doing it -- then leave something like Greenlight in place to catch stragglers.

heck just look how cheap Valve is when it comes to Steam's customer service

My last post should have had 'VALVE IS EVIL' at the end but I thought the 'DOTA company' thing would show it to be a bit exaggerated. I don't think Valve are in a rush to allow lots of developers on their store. They don't have any motivation to; their happy with big titles to bring people to Steam and get most of their money from their free to play side.

Indie's getting on Steam is only really positive to them.

I think there needs to be more effort on the PC to push a Steam competitor. It seems to me theres too many games promising to be on Steam and needing to be on Steam to get a sale. am guilty of that myself in the past, its not just because I want a single library but it can be difficult to trust organisations with secure details and bank info.

Not enough of the 'alternative' stores make enough effort to appear more than just 'we sell indie games' imo. They need a bit more professionalism and aggression.

Steam allowing third party retailers on their store would be an acceptable fix but I still feel they need someone to counter-balance them.

I want someone to stick a fucking ad on youtube saying "Cause Steam Don't" basically.

FyreWulff

it should be. the number of consumers is finite, and so is the money they're willing to spend. just because valve's approach is wrong, it doesn't mean their goal about limiting which games are sold via the store should be as well

They could just use the greenlight process to determine which software gets frontpage promotion.

Sentenza

Right. Niro took the question-mark out of the title of this thread but there's still not really any transparency, just like there's no obvious transparency about who does and doesn't need to use Greenlight in the first place. We know that in other cases people have bypassed Greenlight via publishers, but that in this case they weren't allowed to. In conclusion: WTF, Valve, please start sucking less.
My guess is that this is another case of "fake mystery".
There isn't really anything particularly obscure or weird about it: you can still pitch your product directly to Valve, and if they are interested you get a communication and a proposition from them, otherwise they just throw a generic "Please go through GL" at you, which is probably the polite version of "We honestly don't care about what you showed us, so let's the audience decide if they want it".

I have not heard a single positive thing about Greenlight.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/130862114/810919057027590004/
In short: Frozen Synapse's developers deliberately chose to through GL for their second game even if they didn't need to because they like the system and how it works.

BTW I'd like to be devil advocate for one second and suggest maybe valve blocked the publisher in question to better benefit the developer. By not making the dev resort to a middleman and lose percentage of sales.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Horrible if true. Valve is not always the great company everyone makes them out to be.

Seriously, they make some bonehead, awful decisions at times As much as I love Valve and Dota 2, they need to be held accountable for shit like this without excuses like "Oh gaben is just... Oh but Valve does so much for... Oh but I'm sure."

BTW I'd like to be devil advocate for one second and suggest maybe valve blocked the publisher in question to better benefit the developer. By not making the dev resort to a middleman and lose percentage of sales.

The dev is already losing potential sales everyday that the product isn't available. If a dev and a publisher both agree to publish a game for their mutual benefit then what's the issue? Big brother Gabe knows best? He's just intervening to keep the dumb dev from making a big mistake, it's for their benefit! Just imagine if this was EA instead of Valve rofl...

rar

My last post should have had 'VALVE IS EVIL' at the end but I thought the 'DOTA company' thing would show it to be a bit exaggerated. I don't think Valve are in a rush to allow lots of developers on their store. They don't have any motivation to; their happy with big titles to bring people to Steam and get most of their money from their free to play side.

Indie's getting on Steam is only really positive to them.

does valve not get a small cut of profits from game sales?

green light has too much power and control IMO, it's great that it's there for everyone to try but it should not be the end all for releases.

Htown

What the fuck? Steam do have a monopoly. Monopolies don't just affect the consumer but also other businesses. Stop being a clown.

I have to teach you people everything.

edited from wiki said:
A monopoly exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity. Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the good or service and a lack of viable substitute goods.

Is Valve the only supplier of digital PC games?

No.

Is there a lack of competition?

No.

Fin.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Valve needs to sit its ass down and open up Steamworks to everyone. Make it payment process similar to the Humble Store as well.

It'll allow developers on an apparently open platform to sell their game on their own page, providing a Steam key to those who cannot live without their DRM. Once a game hits enough sales, it enters the Steampowered Store page.

nbthedude

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why the specific problem mentioned by the OP is a problem.

Why would it be better for Valve to allow indies to "advertise" and fish their games to big publishers and then just bail on Greenlight once they find one?

This thread has become a general argument against Greenlight ignores the sensibility of the topic specifically mentioned in the OP.

If Valve didn't lock you in to Greenlight once you decided to go that route, then there would be no point to it. Greenlight is supposed to be for indies that want to self publish. If you want to seek a publisher, then you shoudn't be on Greenlight. It is this developer's fault for using the process then wanting take backs.

gngf123

What the fuck? Steam do have a monopoly. Monopolies don't just affect the consumer but also other businesses. Stop being a clown.

Yeah... they don't. There are tonnes of competing services.

you don't know what a monopoly is.

go read a book and come back.

He said that people were "encouraging a monopoly", not that there was one.

The large number of people saying "steam or bust" ARE encouraging a monopoly - they want one supplier, and if it isn't with them, they won't be buying it. It is an attitude against competition, and for a steam-only future. The very definition of encouraging a monopoly, or at least a very unhealthy market dominance.

You want a real monopoly? Call me when you can't log into gamersgate, the humble store, origin, GoG or Greenmangaming and Steam is your only option. You wouldn't know a real monopoly if Time Warner came to your house, pulled out all your cables and forced you to sign their contract.

Monopolies don't just affect other businesses. They prevent the very existence of competition. You have choices if you know the google-fu.

Lingitiz

Valve has that private Greenlight meeting with developers coming soon right? Hopefully that will them figure it out. Greenlight is a poor system but I think Valve can figure something out that works well over time. Whatever they're doing is still far better than what's happening on consoles.

Htown

Valve needs to sit its ass down and open up Steamworks to everyone. Make it payment process similar to the Humble Store as well.

It'll allow developers on an apparently open platform to sell their game on their own page, providing a Steam key to those who cannot live without their DRM. Once a game hits enough sales, it enters the Steampowered Store page.

Why?

The PC is already an open platform. Devs can already sell their game on their own page. What's the benefit?

oneils

its the indie support cycle.

XBLA/XNA first, steam second, sony third, nintendo forth?

start off by welcoming indie developers
indie developers feel like they're important
indies flock to that platform
platform gets overwhelmed with indie games has to budget their digital store fronts.
have to put up release gates and screening process
indies trash platform
indies move on to next platform
the cycle continues

This is probably as accurate a description of what is going on as anything else. Seems like valve is trying to figure out how to screen indie games. Trick is to do it in a way that is efficient, inexpensive and fair.

I think Valve should maybe open up a second store or something. All indie games get user submitted and it is buyer beware. The best sellers end up on steam. Maybe something like that could work.

Exuro

Why?

The PC is already an open platform. Devs can already sell their game on their own page. What's the benefit?
Open steamworks for one. Valve could also see that x game is selling really well on a website and decide to put it on their store without having to do anything. People that wanted the game on Steam can already have it, and Valve can put the game up on their store knowing it'll sell.

quickwhips

It's been clear for sometime now developers are not happy with how Valve has handled Greenlight. This doesn't sound like a step in the right direction.

At least we have PSN and maybe windows 8 store to be able to publish games through if steam doesn't work out for indie guys anymore. Also IOS/Android.

Top Bottom