• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve - "Planned Changes to Steam Store"

ScribbleD

Again: who are you to decide what does and does not "deserve" to be on Steam? What constitutes a video game? This is some GG level bullshit, just to let you know.

You're getting an option to personally filter out what you don't want to see. That's as good as you are going to get.

Aside from all of the other things wrong with that post, what exactly are you talking about with the bolded part?

dr_rus

At this point my only hope is that Valve won't make the storefront or the client UI any worse. I don't expect them to improve anything in either as they are clearly incapable of this.

kafiend

Again: who are you to decide what does and does not "deserve" to be on Steam? What constitutes a video game? This is some GG level bullshit, just to let you know.

You're getting an option to personally filter out what you don't want to see. That's as good as you are going to get.

Do not fucking ever equate me to GG. I actually think you owe me an apology for likening me to them. I never said I should ever be allowed to decide what is on a webstore or not. What I did say is that Steam should have a better filtering system. Fucking GG. You cunt.

Nzyme32

I agree.

Valve absolutely should not be saying "you're not good enough / big enough / interesting enough to be on our store". **** that. It would destroy some of the richness of Steam.

Don't like the games? Don't buy them.

The only thing Valve should do is make it easier to find the types of games YOU are interested in.

You're getting to option to personally filter out what you don't want to see. That's as good as you are going to get.

Absolutely agreed. There are plenty of people already in essence curating what I view on Steam or go in search of. Having the store holder do that leads to the loss of so many great titles. I am more than happy for the downside of some crap getting into the store that others might like (or no one), while some wonderful gems get through and open up surprise. Steam's job should be to minimise the visibility of shit and enhance the ability to find what I am interested in. It has done well with this but still has a lot to tune up.

Overall, I almost never see outright shit. Instead I get about 65% excellent stuff that I'd consider worth having a look at and 35% stuff I couldn't care for. That 35% is very specifically wrong - trending stuff I rarely care for (F2P / Survival) and "friend recommendations" that tend to be VNs that I don't care for at all. Changing that would be awesome.

oneils

you already can by hovering over certain areas of the homepage a customize button shows up.

wow. never saw this. thanks!

Is there a way to filter out free to play titles? I didn't see one. Would be perfect if I could exclude those.

Oh, just how gators go around harassing creators that they think make games that aren't "real games". The most notable being That Dragon, Cancer.

My point being that when you go from simply shitting on people's creations to saying it should not be allowed to be sold, you are inadvertently throwing yourself in with groups that you may be repulsed by.

Steam isn't a physical store. It's digital. It's not going to run out of space anytime soon.

Steam was made for the distribution of video games. You might as well be saying "this or that person doesn't deserve to be making video games".

Battlechili

Banned
Awesome! I will finally be able to have the Steam store covered in Japanese games when I go to the front page. No more seeing random crap that isn't relevant to me.
Steam is full of shovelware in full view of its users, equally tiered with great games hidden amongst the more numerous dogshit. That is not a fun time for someone looking to buy good quality games.
Why do we need quality control? People keep asking for it and complaining about shovelware, but I don't understand why. The current system doesn't make finding the good games any harder. You'll still have the front page splattered with "BUY [insert amazing game's name here]" when such a new game comes out, and it'll still be just as findable on the Steam store.
The alternative would involve Valve deciding for you what games it thinks are good and not, and that could result in maybe some games people are genuinely looking forward to not being available to purchase on Steam. And Steam really is the best online store there is in terms of selection and view-ability. It helps even good games get more noticed and supports such developers in ways they otherwise couldn't on any other online store.
No, its not perfect, but actual quality control would be harmful to consumers and developers alike. You don't have to buy bad games on Steam. Having Steam decide for you what is good and what isn't would suck. A lot of people think Neptunia games are bad for example but I like them and wouldn't dare have them removed from Steam.

I want to see Steam become more open to what is allowed on Steam, not less open.

Caffeine

wow. never saw this. thanks!

Is there a way to filter out free to play titles? I didn't see one. Would be perfect if I could exclude those.

currently I only see in the discovery queue

foMaFhM.jpg

Oh, just how gators go around harassing creators that they think make games that aren't "real games". The most notable being That Dragon, Cancer.

My point being that when you go from simply shitting on people's creations to saying it should not be allowed to be sold, you are inadvertently throwing yourself in with groups that you may be repulsed by.

Steam isn't a physical store. It's digital. It's not going to run out of space anytime soon.

Steam was made for the distribution of video games. You might as well be saying "this or that person doesn't deserve to be making video games".
There's a big difference between narrative games like That Dragon Cancer and the abundance of completely broken, half assed shit that gets pushed on to the Steam store daily.

You're the one bringing games like That Dragon Cancer into the conversation. Without speaking for anyone else, I'm not entirely sure that's what the argument has been about

Battlechili

Banned
currently I only see in the discovery queue
>filtering visual novels and RPGMaker games from the discovery queue
But Danganronpa....and Long Live the Queen...and OneShot....
;_;
I understand though. Most VNs and RPGMaker games aren't very good and Steam currently is a bit saturated with them.
Slipknot_Dirtbike_666's Collection of Games with Anime Boob's, now on the front page.
Honestly, I would probably follow that curator.

Caffeine

>filtering visual novels and RPGMaker games from the discovery queue
But Danganronpa....and Long Live the Queen...and OneShot....
;_;
I understand though. Most VNs and RPGMaker games aren't very good
Honestly, I would probably follow that curator.

honestly if they are well known games I already know about them.

MarionCB

I'd like the option to block specific Curators so I don't have to disable the entire thing to avoid the ones I actively dislike.

These all sound like worthwhile updates, some of them have been asked about constantly for the last few years since the last store update went live.

Please remember that after the update goes live (depending on when that is) Enhanced Steam will probably take a couple of days or weeks to get updated to fix any issues. It's a shame that Valve won't let me take a crack at it beforehand, even under NDA.

you've showed them up too often.

Nzyme32

curators are awful, please allow me to turn them off completely.

I'd like the option to block specific Curators so I don't have to disable the entire thing to avoid the ones I actively dislike.

It should be optional really, no reason not to be.

At best for those that choose to have it, it should be optional to see only those you choose / an open selection / maybe even what you choose and friends choose to view etc etc.

Importantly, the new setup is a lot more interesting than the mostly redundant current state. I might be more open to the informative ones rather than recommendations if there is a curator doing it well with meaningful info, but that would only be suitable on a game page rather than anywhere else

Jintor

It'd be nice to have a add to wishlist or cart button overlay right from the hover menu.

I should note down some UI things I've complained about over the years.

BTA

I mean, if you guys really want to make GG accusations, there's a person on the first page who outright said they write for Techraptor, so...

Anyway: I'm also someone who wishes I could turn curators off or at least block certain ones. Sucks that curator "options" are options for them and not for users. I don't care at all about what 90% of curators say and most of the rest I actively want to see nothing about, so some level of blocking that would be really nice. Guess Valve doesn't agree.

Coreda

I do like that skin but if you middle click anything to open a new window it creates and invisible window on windows 10 it hasn't been fixed lol.

It's also been like that with the theme I use, Air (the 'classic' version or whatever it's called). Not sure if it's a Steam or theme bug. On W8.1 it's been like that for years.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's also been like that with the theme I use, Air (the 'classic' version or whatever it's called). Not sure if it's a Steam or theme bug. On W8.1 it's been like that for years.

Seems to be the latter. I use PixelVision on Win10 and middle-click functions as intended.

Nice to finally have an option to hide early access and VR games. I hope it's also possible to hide F2P.

That would be perfect since I don't have a VR headset, I don't buy Early Access games and I don't play f2p games. I'd also love some options for bringing games from my favorite genres to the forefront.

KonradLaw

As a release platform, Steam should not be a free for all. It should be curated.

This would only make sense is Steam had like 20% of digital distribution market share on PC. But as it is for most games if you're not on Steam you're dead. So curration would effectively turn PC into a closed system. THat's just not acceptable

kadotsu

Banned
I hope at some point they remove the mandatory VR category out of my games list. I know which games are VR. If Steam wants to push it activate a filter as soon as I put on my HMD.

Pixieking

Banned
There's a big difference between narrative games like That Dragon Cancer and the abundance of completely broken, half assed shit that gets pushed on to the Steam store daily.

And, again, Steam is a digital store with a refund system. If something doesn't work, refund it. Physical product online stores like Amazon have no problem with this system, so why should Steam?

If your issue is that there should be some basic QA that ensures games released on Steam functionally operate to a basic level, then two things:

1) The number of PC games being released means it's literally impossible for Valve to QA test every release.

2) It's not Valve's place to QA test, even if they could do it. Your problem lies with devs/pubs who take advantage of consumers to release broken products, not with the lack of Steam curation. If a product does not work, refund, and tell other users (on Steam, Facebook or Twitter) or email a website to alert more people to the fact that a release is broken. This isn't something new or uncommon - physical stores, and online physical products stores like Amazon, have faced this issue for years. Both they and their customers survive.

As for the general lack of curation, asking Valve to gatekeep what's on Steam is just wrong. Ignoring the fact that Valve don't know everything about their user's (or consumer's in general) tastes, why would people want the largest PC digital distribution system in the world to determine what its users see? That's a crazy amount of control in one place. Steam works so well because Valve seek to lessen their power over it, whilst trying to make sure it works equitably for developers, publishers and users (hence the change in reviews, for example). Curation of PC releases was never something they wanted, it was just something that took them time to move away from.

Anyways... Yey! Store refresh! Woooo! I'd love a client refresh and Steam Workshop support for client skins, but you can't have everything. Curation changes sound good, but... Ehhhh... Curators.

I hope they finally implement scaling for higher resolutions. Since whole interface get's rediculusly small when I use downsampling

At last Steam might finally stop recommending me 30fps games (which I generally don't buy) because of curation I'm only using to warn me to stay away in the first place.

Yukinari

Pretty sure TB made an episode specifically covering what improvements Steam could make to the store page so im glad theyre finally doing it.

Top Bottom