• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines -Lets play it again with mods!

The
werewolf
mission was terrifying. Haven't felt so weak and defenseless in a game in a long time.

Yeah that was a cool one.

It's been a while since I played that part but there is some dialog you can choose where you say something like "Come on we can take it!" and Nines Rodriguez is all like are you fucking insane? lol

cj_iwakura

Yeah that was a cool one.

It's been a while since I played that part but there is some dialog you can choose where you say something like "Come on we can take it!" and Nines Rodriguez is all like are you fucking insane? lol

And yet Nines
takes the bastard's head off.

Given my leveling SNAFU with my Malk I've restarted...but in order to avoid getting burned out replaying the entire Santa Monica section as a Malk again I've chosen a male Tremere this time, probably going to pursue the
Strauss Camarilla
ending. Very handy having a spell like Blood Strike so early in the game.

cj_iwakura

Given my leveling SNAFU with my Malk I've restarted...but in order to avoid getting burned out replaying the entire Santa Monica section as a Malk again I've chosen a male Tremere this time, probably going to pursue the
Strauss Camarilla
ending. Very handy having a spell like Blood Strike so early in the game.

It's very appropriate for the clan. And a good ending.

Also, god is that a swank haven.
You get a MINI BAR.

Dammit Carson and Lily, in a game with some of the best voice acting of all time why do your VA's have to suck so bad? Totally jarring.

Dammit Carson and Lily, in a game with some of the best voice acting of all time why do your VA's have to suck so bad? Totally jarring.

Fun fact: One of the voices in the game was just a friend of one of the programmers who happened to be in the office one day while we were all complaining about how bad the original actress was, and we asked her to give it a shot.

Less fun fact: I think my voice is in two of the commercials

Fun fact: One of the voices in the game was just a friend of one of the programmers who happened to be in the office one day while we were all complaining about how bad the original actress was, and we asked her to give it a shot.

Less fun fact: I think my voice is in two of the commercials

Had no idea you were involved with production, platy! That's pretty cool. Any interesting anecdotes?

Had no idea you were involved with production, platy! That's pretty cool. Any interesting anecdotes?

When we moved into a new office, our sound guy accidentally locked himself out of his office. They were going to call a locksmith, but one of our environmental artists said that was a waste and then she climbed through the ceiling into his office to unlock it from the inside.

Also, I was way better than everyone at Soul Calibur 2, Chu Chu Rocket, and Bomberman (as far as you guys know).

When we moved into a new office, our sound guy accidentally locked himself out of his office. They were going to call a locksmith, but one of our environmental artists said that was a waste and then she climbed through the ceiling into his office to unlock it from the inside.

That...sounds like something that would happen in the Bloodlines office. Did she have to Blood Buff?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

I wish stealth games would do that... It's always vents vents vents. So many office buildings have tons of empty space right above the ceiling. When I worked at a bookstore, we found out some dude was living in our store. He'd sneak into the bathroom before closing and climb up into the ceiling until everybody left. Then climb down. Scary cause I used to clean the bathrooms too!

vampirebloodlines-07.jpg

Who is this character and where is she found?

The game is so much easier with a Tremere than it was with a Gangrel. Blood Shield + Blood Buff makes them incredible physical tanks on top of having the best magic.

bengraven

I already have a copy, but if I buy a second just to have it on Steam, who gets the money? Because goddammit, we need to show people through money that we need more of these games.

Platy - if you were involved in the production, you know where everyone is these days. Get them together, however you want it done - force, coercion, domination, Kickstarter, whatever, and force them to make another game. I'll supply food and energy drinks.

Nikodemos

Platy - if you were involved in the production, you know where everyone is these days. Get them together, however you want it done - force, coercion, domination, Kickstarter, whatever, and force them to make another game. I'll supply food and energy drinks.
Except another Vampire game would be quite different since White Wolf retconed the lore since Bloodlines.

Denton

I already have a copy, but if I buy a second just to have it on Steam, who gets the money? Because goddammit, we need to show people through money that we need more of these games.

As far as I know, Activision. So no, they will never make a sequel.

Woops, Heather
got killed by the Sabbat
. Last playthrough I let her go, this playthrough I kept her around. Is there a way to get a "happy" ending from this scenario?

Woops, Heather
got killed by the Sabbat
. Last playthrough I let her go, this playthrough I kept her around. Is there a way to get a "happy" ending from this scenario?

Ha, that scene was done really poorly (unless my game glitched or something and I missed a cutscene?)... I just thought it was a
random civilian that was killed until I looked at her body and thought she resembled Heather... wasn't til I got to my haven and she was gone that I realised.
(I had her change her outfit as soon as she joined me and didn't change it back
so her being in her original getup at the end didn't help things either.)

Ha, that scene was done really poorly (unless my game glitched or something and I missed a cutscene?)... I just thought it was a
random civilian that was killed until I looked at her body and thought she resembled Heather... wasn't til I got to my haven and she was gone that I realised.
(I had her change her outfit as soon as she joined me and didn't change it back
so her being in her original getup at the end didn't help things either.)

Sorry. I don't remember why I didn't support her outfit changes there. Could have been an oversight, could have been a deliberate decision due to lack of time or desire to keep that sequence's implementation simple. I almost feel like I did support it and it just got broken though. I'm pretty sure I supported her outfit changes if you switched to a new haven after she changed... so it should have been doable here.

Sorry. I don't remember why I didn't support her outfit changes there. Could have been an oversight, could have been a deliberate decision due to lack of time or desire to keep that sequence's implementation simple. I almost feel like I did support it and it just got broken though. I'm pretty sure I supported her outfit changes if you switched to a new haven after she changed... so it should have been doable here.

Don't be sorry! Yeah I had several glitchy bits in my game so it probably was just that. Overall the game was incredible though, definitely one of my favourite PC games ever.

So at some point in the future I'm definitely going to do a Nosferatu playthrough, but before I start I'm curious how one would go about it. Aren't there several quests that require you to interact with humans? Like questioning Johansen for example? And that's just main quests - there's dozens of sidequests that require it. Do you just have to skip them? How does that effect progression with so few skill points?

Coming to the end of my Tremere playthrough I've come to the conclusion that Animalism > Thaumatergy. Bats' Communion is easily the best offensive spell I've found in the game - kills most enemies in one hit and returns more blood than it uses. Blood Strike is alright but it's weak. Blood Salvo is better but uses too much blood. Blood Boil is effective in certain scenarios but it's expensive and returns no blood.

So at some point in the future I'm definitely going to do a Nosferatu playthrough, but before I start I'm curious how one would go about it. Aren't there several quests that require you to interact with humans? Like questioning Johansen for example? And that's just main quests - there's dozens of sidequests that require it. Do you just have to skip them? How does that effect progression with so few skill points?

Generally, in Elysium zones and combat zones, you can kinda do your thing. It's mostly in the hubs that you need to be careful. You can talk to most (all?) humans that actually have dialogue, though it won't always go well for you.

Wrapped up my second playthrough!

I'll probably take a break for a while but goddamn, what a game. Thanks for all the help you guys have given, I'll be sure to pay it forward if anyone else starts.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So, finally getting around to playing this game. A few questions:

1) I installed the patch. How can I check to make sure it's installed correctly? I did the resolution patch as well, which appears to have worked.

2) Whenever I boot the game I get no image but sound. I have to Alt+Tab in and out and it displays fine. Not a big deal as I keep games minimized for weeks at a time, but is there a fix? edit: looks like the splash logos don't show, apparently a common issues. I removed their files.

3) What's a good race to start with? And how does your character's sex affect the game?

cj_iwakura

3) What's a good race to start with? And how does your character's sex affect the game?

A good first-timer is Toreador or Ventrue, but the only one you shouldn't do first is Malk.

And gender affects dialogue, you can seduce certain characters the others can't, etc.

Ermac

Cool, thanks. I guess my only question is how do I know if the patched installed correctly?

Sykotik

Cool, thanks. I guess my only question is how do I know if the patched installed correctly?

Only way I know to tell is in the character creation menu, when you're putting your stat points in. Top-left, under "Name" it should say which patch it is. It shows on new-game creation, but doesn't show in the same place after you actually start playing.

A good first-timer is Toreador or Ventrue, but the only one you shouldn't do first is Malk.

And gender affects dialogue, you can seduce certain characters the others can't, etc.
I disagree. It's not for everyone, but I think if anything playing a crazy character is only enhanced by not entirely knowing what's going on.

I disagree. It's not for everyone, but I think if anything playing a crazy character is only enhanced by not entirely knowing what's going on.

Agreed. Knowing in a general sense what the Malk's crazy dialogue corresponds to almost feels like cheating.

That said I wouldn't recommend Nosferatu for a first playthrough, either. They're a lot more fun once you've got the game's shortcuts and hidden pathways memorized.

I've never played a Toreador but I understand why people recommend them. My first playthrough was a Gangrel which worked out pretty well (just be sure to pick up Bats' Communion if you go that route). Tremere make for a supremely easy playthrough. Despite being physically squishy mages, Blood Shield makes them some of the best tanks in the game.

Ermac

I used the same settings in the OP to force AA but it messes up my framerate. I've never used Nvidia Inspector to do this before, could someone help me out?

dlauv

As far role-playing goes, maybe, I guess; but, I think some of the humor of the class comes partially by knowing what's ahead.

One of my favorite RPGs btw, right underneathe Arcanum, another Troika game. I most always run Toreador for bullet time, although it trivializes the difficulty later on.

Top Bottom