• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines -Lets play it again with mods!

Let's see, where am I stuck now...ah yes, the water pump puzzle in the Hollywood sewers.

Clearly I need to flood the reservoirs to swim out the top. Turning the pump on floods the reservoirs but prevents me from swimming down the tunnel, turning it off lets me swim down the tunnel but empties the reservoirs. There is a computer right next to this switch that upon further experimentation appears to perform the exact same function. Pointless? I've tried turning the pumps of and then on and quickly hurrying down the tunnel before the fan activates, but even though the switch readout says "flooded" the reservoirs are not flooded.

What am I missing? This puzzle feels dumb but I can't think of a solution unless I'm missing a switch somewhere...

Edit: Got it by trying the same thing I've been trying dozens of times. Guess the timing is very exact.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Has anyone else had issues with Sweet FX?

I can't even get to the title screen as the game crashes immediately after loading.. I have it installed in the main folder (non-steam) and I'm running the latest unofficial patch on Windows 8.1. It looks like a must-have mod judging by those screenies.

Has anyone else had issues with Sweet FX?

I can't even get to the title screen as the game crashes immediately after loading.. I have it installed in the main folder (non-steam) and I'm running the latest unofficial patch on Windows 8.1. It looks like a must-have mod judging by those screenies.

Maybe try a different version of sweetfx?

On a side note I just realised that the latest version of the unofficial patch (or maybe it was the one just before it) restores the first person animations for the spells as seen in the original trailer.

I really have no idea why they got cut from the game they look great.

idUm9A6AKtMZT.jpg

Aangster

So are the Hollywood Warrens the part of the game where everyone seems to think Troika started running out of money?

Not quite, that can be attributed to poor level design. If I can recall, one of the designers once declared that if he had the opportunity to do so, he would have shortened the sewer level. For me personally, it's the later stages of the game
where gameplay becomes heavily combat-orientated, highlighting the rushed nature of a finale that goes against its ethos of more open-ended gameplay.

Would it have been possible to finish the syndicate obstacle course in Chinatown without a gun? Would it be possible to walk into that area without a gun, or does the game make sure to force one on you so you don't get stuck?

I assume The Society of Leopold is the point where the game starts to suck?

Used all my blood and blood packs getting through the exterior and interior areas...and then there's this cave. I can't get more blood because I can barely sneak. Whenever I try to force feed during combat I fail despite having max points in Brawl, even if the enemy is one hit from death. I cannot progress. I guess I'm done?

Just getting into this game for the first time. Can't wait to see what this classic plays like. Thanks for the mod recommendations OP.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I started playing this again recently to mourn the CCP dropping the WOD MMO. Too sad. I'll always have Bloodlines though.

I can't seem to not play this game as anything but a Malkavian. I've tried a Nos a couple times but always go back to my Malk.

Disregard last post, I've found that after getting Bats' Communion the whole game sort of becomes a joke. I should never run out of blood again!

Also just discovered that you can have 2 abilities active at the same time, what, 25 hours in? Damn. Here comes Protean + Fortitude.

cj_iwakura

I assume The Society of Leopold is the point where the game starts to suck?

Used all my blood and blood packs getting through the exterior and interior areas...and then there's this cave. I can't get more blood because I can barely sneak. Whenever I try to force feed during combat I fail despite having max points in Brawl, even if the enemy is one hit from death. I cannot progress. I guess I'm done?

There's a few highlights near the end. The ending is great, as is the aftermath of the
Werewolf
mission, especially if you go Anarch.

Just got to the Chiropteran Marauder - how am I supposed to touch this thing with poor ranged skill? Godmode time?

Edit: Tried enabling the console to use cheats but when I use the shortcut with the appended "-console" it can't find Steam and none of the fixes for that problem seem to be working. I can access the game fine through Steam but not the shortcut with the console enabled. I'm quite literally done until I find a way to get cheats working, progress has become impossible.

cj_iwakura

Just got to the Chiropteran Marauder - how am I supposed to touch this thing with poor ranged skill? Godmode time?

Edit: Tried enabling the console to use cheats but when I use the shortcut with the appended "-console" it can't find Steam and none of the fixes for that problem seem to be working. I can access the game fine through Steam but not the shortcut with the console enabled. I'm quite literally done until I find a way to get cheats working, progress has become impossible.

It's doable... damn hard, but doable. Consider spamming save states.

loudog999

If I dont care about graphic upgrades and have never played this game before, should I just download the first mod and go with it?

Volcane

Bought this when it came out. Did any of the patches add the voice acting at the end of the game? As it was a bit annoying with the npc looking like they were talking, but having to read the subtitles.

cj_iwakura

Bought this when it came out. Did any of the patches add the voice acting at the end of the game? As it was a bit annoying with the npc looking like they were talking, but having to read the subtitles.

What are you talking about? The endings have voice acting.

It is the blood of Caine who makes us who we are... Vampire.

Oh shit, I did it! I remembered I had Bats' Communion and just spammed the boss with it, took about 5 hits. Plenty of options for blood so I never ran out. Dammit though, if I were a character without a ranged option (like a Brujah that specialized in melee) it would have literally been impossible. I learned you can apparently use the spotlights to blind him but he just ignored them for me, and once they went out I couldn't turn them back on. So if I was stuck there with just a melee weapon, piss poor ranged skill, and no ranged spells I don't know what I would have done. Would have had to use the console to give myself ranged points I guess.

Anyway, that Anarch ending...lol.
I died with LaCroix the first time because I was leery of giving him the key. I promptly reloaded and strolled out of there like a boss. Still a lot I don't understand about the ending. Was Jack an independent force working outside of the Anarchs? Who was the driver with the black aura and the accent? Was he Caine? An antedeluvian? Was the mummy an antedeluvian or just a mummy?

You know in retrospect I hear a lot of people talk about how the end of the game is trash, but I'd narrow it down specifically to just the Society of Leopold and the final boss fight (which is tragically flawed as I explained above). Game kept me hooked and engaged up until the very end.

cj_iwakura

Oh shit, I did it! I remembered I had Bats' Communion and just spammed the boss with it, took about 5 hits. Plenty of options for blood so I never ran out. Dammit though, if I were a character without a ranged option (like a Brujah that specialized in melee) it would have literally been impossible. I learned you can apparently use the spotlights to blind him but he just ignored them for me, and once they went out I couldn't turn them back on. So if I was stuck there with just a melee weapon, piss poor ranged skill, and no ranged spells I don't know what I would have done. Would have had to use the console to give myself ranged points I guess.

Anyway, that Anarch ending...lol.
I died with LaCroix the first time because I was leery of giving him the key. I promptly reloaded and strolled out of there like a boss. Still a lot I don't understand about the ending. Was Jack an independent force working outside of the Anarchs? Who was the driver with the black aura and the accent? Was he Caine? An antedeluvian? Was the mummy an antedeluvian or just a mummy?

Anarch end's my favorite.
Smiling Jack is 100% Anarch.

As for the coffin... most believe it was just a mummy.

Anarch end's my favorite.
Smiling Jack is 100% Anarch.

As for the coffin... most believe it was just a mummy.

So when he talks about throwing the coffin out there and watching people fight over it the Anarchs are excluded? He's just talking about the Camarilla, Sabbat, and Kuei-Jin?

Thanks, I have been looking into starting this for months. One last question, I heard that I need to focus primarily on one skill, either melee or ranged, being a jack of all trades will screw you. Is this still true with the mod?
You could probably specialize in both if you wanted to sacrifice a social option or a clan power. But yeah I imagine spreading yourself too thin would be fatal. And if there's one thing I learned about the end game it's that it's not an equal opportunity chance for victory - certain builds will succeed and certain builds will fail, and if you fail sometimes there's nothing you can do but restart or cheat.

Dresden

Thanks, I have been looking into starting this for months. One last question, I heard that I need to focus primarily on one skill, either melee or ranged, being a jack of all trades will screw you. Is this still true with the mod?

You basically need to focus on either melee or ranged (pick guns) and one power to use (pick Toreader and go with Celerity). Happily use every other point you get for stuff like persuasion.

Wesp's +patch means that you can't just bloodbuff your way through locks and computers, so you do need to invest some points in them, but... Celerity. Guns. Every combat scenario in the game is trivialized with these two.

I want to do a second playthrough. Like immediately. But I don't know what to pick. I like the idea of doing a Malkavian playthrough for the dialogue but I kind of hate their powers and strengths. Maybe I'll try Tremere? But then I won't have as much incentive to pay attention to the dialogue since it's so fresh in my mind. Decisions.

Edit: Does inspection serve a useful purpose? I didn't mind going in blind the first time but for my second playthrough I'd like to aim for some optimization.

cj_iwakura

I want to do a second playthrough. Like immediately. But I don't know what to pick. I like the idea of doing a Malkavian playthrough for the dialogue but I kind of hate their powers and strengths. Maybe I'll try Tremere? But then I won't have as much incentive to pay attention to the dialogue since it's so fresh in my mind. Decisions.

Malkavian is ideal. All Tremere gets you is (awesome) Thaum, a swank haven, and more Strauss dialogue.

Not that any of that is bad.

Nohar

So... I began as a Malkavian, but I don't understand most of my dialogue options (gosh, they really are crazy). On the other hand, said dialogue options are pure gold, and give the game a very unique feel.

The thing is, I don't know if I should continue. I keep reading that Malkavians are best for a second playthrough, but I don't really want to do multiple runs (at least, not twice in a row). Should I keep the crazy one, or should I pick a more... "normal" race?
Raaah, it's driving me nuts already. I feel like it would be a crazy mistake to miss the opportunity to play a Malkavian, but they are so crazy even my multiple selves don't understand them! And I'm not sure I understand myself either!
Oh great goddess Maniae, why hast thou forsaken your servitor?! Give me back my madness already, you lunatic!

cj_iwakura

So... I began as a Malkavian, but I don't understand most of my dialogue options (gosh, they really are crazy). On the other hand, said dialogue options are pure gold, and give the game a very unique feel.

The thing is, I don't know if I should continue. I keep reading that Malkavians are best for a second playthrough, but I don't really want to do multiple runs (at least, not twice in a row). Should I keep the crazy one, or should I pick a more... "normal" race?
Raaah, it's driving me crazy already. I feel like it would be a crazy mistake to miss the opportunity to play a Malkavian, but they are so crazy even my multiple selves don't understand them! And I'm not sure I understand myself either!
Oh great goddess Maniae, why hast thou forsaken your servitor?! Give me back my madness already, you lunatic!

They spoil a lot of the plot developments on account of their insight. I'd save it for another playthrough.

Raaah, it's driving me crazy already. I feel like it would be a crazy mistake to miss the opportunity to play a Malkavian, but they are so crazy even my multiple selves don't understand them! And I'm not sure I understand myself either!

I'd restart personally. From what I gather the whole point of Malkavians is going into the game already knowing the general flow of the story so you can glean some hidden insight from their madness. Though the idea of going in blind and not knowing where the dialogue will lead sounds sort of appealing as well! Albeit quite difficult.

Malkavian is ideal. All Tremere gets you is (awesome) Thaum, a swank haven, and more Strauss dialogue.

Not that any of that is bad.
Malk it is. I'll hold back on putting points into inspection until someone tells me it serves a purpose.

Dresden

If you're enjoying it, just roll with it.

Malk it is. I'll hold back on putting points into inspection until someone tells me it serves a purpose.

All it does is highlight items in sight. Handy, but there are better places to dump points into.

Sneaking past the guy in the tutorial with obfuscate as a Malkavian is far and beyond one of the hardest things I've had to do in this game.

Do you still get the experience from the tutorial if you skip it?

Early game is tough with just guns - the fight with the Kuei-Jin in Foxy Boxes was a real pain.

I'm getting red dialogue options while playing as a Malk that I never got before. Are these Malk exclusive?

cj_iwakura

Early game is tough with just guns - the fight with the Kuei-Jin in Foxy Boxes was a real pain.

I'm getting red dialogue options while playing as a Malk that I never got before. Are these Malk exclusive?

Sounds like Intimidation. Malk are purple.

No wait, that's seduction... But if it's Malk, you'll know.

Ah, I see. I was originally planning on giving this character seduction as her social option, but is that even necessary with dementation?

Unrelated question: is there a way to look at the front of your character outside of cinematics and the character sheet? I've seen people take screenshots from this perspective but I haven't figured out how.

Ah, I see. I was originally planning on giving this character seduction as her social option, but is that even necessary with dementation?

Unrelated question: is there a way to look at the front of your character outside of cinematics and the character sheet? I've seen people take screenshots from this perspective but I haven't figured out how.

Press Z.

Steez

Just wanted to express my gratitude to OP for reminding me of this game. I only completed it once back in 04 and I've been replaying it for the first time over the last couple of days and I'm having an absolute blast with my Toreador.

Shame that there are basically no Vampire themed RPG's around anymore.

Ultimadrago

The
werewolf
mission was terrifying. Haven't felt so weak and defenseless in a game in a long time.

It's one of those experiences where the "older" visuals, in this case for the
werewolf
, perhaps enhanced my experience (as in made me more likely to shit my pants). It was so hideous and ruthless. I had to tell some of my gaming friends about the mission afterwards.

bengraven

I wish we could mod in more content. Such a great game and world, just not as much to do anymore once you've beaten it. Even towards the end of your first play through.

Top Bottom