• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Summer Box Office Studio Report Card (spoiler: Paramount not top of class)

mnannola

Why did Paramount get a C- if both of their movies had WW grosses above their production budgets? Is this due to the way WW grosses are divided up, or because marketing budgets on those movies were probably really high?

Just not seeing a justification for those grades with that data.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Tarzan last year did quite well I believe.

i didnt watched tarzan, but im pretty sure it was profitable, no idea what the heck are you talking about

Hunh. My mistake. No one I know ever said word one about it and I missed pretty much all articles and trailers. I honestly didn't look at the numbers. Ben hur tho

I think it has less to do with old movie franchises (although I don't think you can use the word "franchise" for straight up remakes of one-off films) and more that all those revivals have been terrible. The best thing about Ben-Hur was the 1000 gamerscore I got for beating the tie-in game in less than two hours. Everything else was paint-by-numbers derivative sequences from better films.

King Kong. King Arthur. Godzilla. Universal Movie Monsters ala Dark Universe. Baywatch. Transformers. Alien. Star Wars. Chips. Power Rangers. Planet of the Apes. Jumanji. Flatliners. Some successful, some good, some not. All old ideas. I guess results do vary based on the quality of the revival, but on the other hand, Transformers 5 performance gives me a sense that all the old shit is old now.

Whose going to suggest it's time to trot out Robin Hood again and take a deserved bath, know what I mean? Looks to me like the market supports comic book nostalgia exclusively for the time being... gonna see limp results from Sony's rest of the year.

I'm so happy Baby Driver did well. Edgar Wright finally vindicated.

Also, I keep asking myself what the hell Girl Trip is. Did that even release overseas? We have this movie playing now that's called Girl's Night Out, but apparently that is Rough Night?

See that WW box office? The Alien franchise (unfortunately) isn't dead yet.

Mother! is likely to be one of the best/most interesting films this year though. That alone beats out Universal and Sony's upcoming line-up for me (and Fox probably as well, considering a new Aronofsky is way more exciting to me than Kingsman 2, even though I loved the first one).

Well yeah this is a box office thread. Not a list of best movies of the year (although this summer is arguably the strongest in quality in like a decade. So many dope movies big and small)

If talking most interesting movies on that list Blade Runner and mother! Look so dope. Although I'm also excited for star wars too

Mindwipe

200w.gif

What is going on over there? Jeez.

Blade Runner is a Sony film in every country apart from the US.

(Made by Alcon, released by Warner in the US and Sony everywhere else).

kswiston

I'm certainly no expert but how does this equate to a franchise killer?

Studios get about 55% of the domestic gross, 40% of the overseas gross, and 25% of China's gross.

For franchises, you also have to consider trends. Covenant wasn't a bomb, but it made just over half of what Prometheus did. Do they make a third film and risk another 40% drop? Covenant wasnt exactly well received.

Unless someone wants to make a $50M Alien film, it might be best to let the franchise lie for a decade or so.

Sulik2

Why exactly are beauty and the best and F8 not on this list? The summer movie season starts earlier then it used to.

Studios get about 55% of the domestic gross, 40% of the overseas gross, and 25% of China's gross.

For franchises, you also have to consider trends. Covenant wasn't a bomb, but it made just over half of what Prometheus did. Do they make a third film and risk another 40% drop? Covenant wasnt exactly well received.

Unless someone wants to make a $50M Alien film, it might be best to let the franchise lie for a decade or so.

Thanks for the explanation!

Why exactly are beauty and the best and F8 not on this list? The summer movie season starts earlier then it used to.

The "blockbuster season" (which is what you're trying to refer to, and is becoming more and more of a thing of the past) and the "summer movie season" aren't the same thing anymore. The summer movie season generally means that at the very least, summer vacation is starting/about to start and kids are getting out of school and you get increased weekday totals over the other parts of the year. Which is why it originally started at Memorial Day until we started getting tentpoles every year for the first week of May.

AndyVirus

I wouldn't give Fox a B- looking at that. Small profits at best. Hopefully China can give Apes a Dawn-like boost but their early September schedule is hectic.

You can't count Beauty and the Beast, a March film, for summer season.

berzeli

Banned
Italy too. But you have to look online to know this stuff, so it's understandable to miss it.
No but like I should have known about China. The others I feel less dumb about, they don't matter as much for the film. But using Ghost in the Shell as a template (and it's probably the best one) Valerian really ought to pass King Arthur.
Why did Paramount get a C- if both of their movies had WW grosses above their production budgets? Is this due to the way WW grosses are divided up, or because marketing budgets on those movies were probably really high?

Just not seeing a justification for those grades with that data.
Studios don't get everything from the gross, see kswis post for a pretty good estimate. A (rough) estimate for what a film needs to make in order to make back its budget is 2,5-3x its production budget (on the high end if the rest of world gross is high, on the lower end if its domestic gross is high).

Transformers 5 is the lowest grossing (domestic) by well over $100 million. And it made half of the last one in ROW. That is not good, to put it mildly.
Baywatch was just a disappointment.

Also, Paramount is a garbage company.

kswiston

Apes has some openings left that will prop up the worldwide total, but it is probably looking at a worldwide finish in the range of the much cheaper first film.

Top Bottom