• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegans that only eat fruit bench pressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with being a vegan, he is just a noob lifter.

Edit: steve jobs was on a fruit only diet, he died of pancreatic cancer.

Go figure.

patapuf

We have some evidence that some forms of meat may slightly increase the risk for pancreatic cancer. Otherwise, there are no known dietary factors (apart from obesity).

Steve jobs was doing this to cure his cancer, not to prevent it.

that said, his odds weren't great anyway, which may be why he tried it in the first place.

NateDog

Dear me, I'm no good at bench pressing or deadlifts (although considering my gym doesn't even have good enough equipment for me to do that since it all starts at really heavy weights due to people stealing stuff that's not completely my fault), but even I wouldn't do this. Second guy falling and moving all over the place actually irritates me to watch.

dude

dude
Is this a vegans bashing thread? Because it does it poorly.
"fruitarians" are an entirely different thing than Vegans, and anyway they usually eat the botanical definition of fruits, which includes more than what is usually considered "fruits" (such as beans and other legumes.)
One weak fruitarian/vegan says nothing about a diet as a whole.

Vegans that only eat fruit bench pressing.

Vegans that only eat fruit bench pressing.

image.php

jesus christ

SeanR1221

Isn't the codeword for this "bulking"? That seems to be the word fitness people use whenever they want to justify eating a shitty diet of fast food. Perhaps these fine bros are just bulking on fruit.

Yup. Making strength gains eating nothing but shit. CHOO CHOO!

AnAnole

Does anyone here think that a diet that consists entirely of fruit is anything but the least optimal diet for increasing / maintaining muscle mass?

He's weak because fruit is bad for you.

well, i eat meat several times every single day, do pushups and lift weights etc and i'm still weak. my vegan friend can incapacitate me in about 3 seconds.

fruit only sounds crazy though, jeez eat some nuts at least. seriously.. that can't be a thing, fruitarians? no way. no one does that. why would you? too dumb, doesn't happen.

SeanR1221

well, i eat meat several times every single day, do pushups and lift weights etc and i'm still weak. my vegan friend can incapacitate me in about 3 seconds.

fruit only sounds crazy though, jeez eat some nuts at least. seriously.. that can't be a thing, fruitarians? no way. no one does that. why would you? too dumb, doesn't happen.

Your programming probably sucks and you spin your wheels.

Thats the most logical explanation.

AnAnole

Lol. Don't blame effort on genetics.

Except it's completely true. There's a reason researchers have come up with the term non-responders. There's a wide variation in muscular response to resistance training, with some people responding extremely well to resistance training whereas a small percentage of people simply don't respond at all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15947721

"Size changes ranged from -2 to +59% (-0.4 to +13.6 cm), 1RM strength gains ranged from 0 to +250% (0 to +10.2 kg), and MVC changes ranged from -32 to +149% (-15.9 to +52.6 kg)."

Genetic testing can even be used to predict who will respond to resistance training. We also know who some poeple don't respond to resistance training -- they simply don't have an adequate number of satellite cells, which can be measured via biopsy.

Now please kindly remove your head from your ass.

Steve jobs was doing this to cure his cancer, not to prevent it.

that said, his odds weren't great anyway, which may be why he tried it in the first place.

I'm pretty sure he experimented with a fruitarian diet long before he was diagnosed with cancer. Either way, he wasn't sick because of his diet.

His odds weren't actually that bad, had he gone through with the recommended treatment rather than delaying it for six months by seeking alternative "medicine".

styl3s

Isn't eating only fruit dangerous due to all the sugars?
I am not a nutritionist so i can't say for certainty but your body needs protein, right? Eating only fruit with no other supplements seems like that could cause some long term problems. Like maybe not 5-10 years from now but it just doesn't seem like a healthy option to me.

Not a health nut or nutritionist so i can't say that for certainty but even vegans get their proteins.

It is without exaggeration the most useful skill I have developed.

Curious has to what lifting weights has helped you with? Feeling better? I know martial arts can help with anger, self control, patience, etc.. I'm curious as to what lifting weights helps with.

SeanR1221

Curious has to what lifting weights has helped you with? Feeling better? I know martial arts can help with anger, self control, patience, etc.. I'm curious as to what lifting weights helps with.

I can move things around easily.

Downside. Everyone starts asking you to move shit around.

Gilby

Many of those same things. It teaches you persistence, you gain self esteem, it keeps you healthy, people treat you nicer, you feel safer, you move more easily, gets rid of stress, you perform better at physical activity in general, and being able to lift heavy things comes in handy surprisingly often.

I can move things around easily.

Downside. Everyone starts asking you to move shit around.

This is true, but they usually provide food/beer after.

jax

Banned
It takes about 2.69 pounds of soybeans to get 150 grams of protein.

That's a lot of beans.
Why the hell would anyone need 150g of protein? Honestly? You do realize that protein isn't nearly as important as the meat and dairy industry would like you to believe, right?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Why the hell would anyone need 150g of protein? Honestly? You do realize that protein isn't nearly as important as the meat and dairy industry would like you to believe, right?
You don't lift weights do you?

Shadybiz

You feel better, you look better, you're more confident, people don't try to push you around as much, you're less prone to injury. When injured, you'll probably take less time to heal..etc.

And since you touched on martial arts, well, the lifting will help with that, too. You'll be able to go at it longer and harder in training, and in the rare event that you actually get into a real life fight with someone, you will have a better chance at taking someone who is totally above your weight class (though one should avoid fighting altogether, of course, which leads back to the idea that you're less likely to get into a fight if you lift, because cowardly bullies will be less likely to fuck with you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom