• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velcro® releases video urging you to stop calling velcro velcro

LordCiego

33 years old and from Spain and this is the first time in my life that I hear this has a name that is not Velcro. I don't think many people would know what is a hook and loop is you asked them.

My mom still calls it Nintendo. In fact she calls every video game system I've ever owned a Nintendo since that's as much as she cares about this hobby.

Where I live, most moms and grandmas call all video systems “Playstation”.

I once saw an online ad for a used “Playstation DS.” (Pic showed an OG 3DS)

I really like all those terms that name the thingie after the origin.
Klettverschluss.
It's all about that uncopyrighted burdock, yo.

Zomba13

Tbh, jokes aside, this is a serious thing.

Htf Google gets away with it is bullshit.

I think Google gets away with "google" being a term used for searching stuff on the internet is because everyone just literally uses google to google stuff. Nobody says "google cheese" and then the person goes to Bing to search for cheese, they go to google.com (or whatever region).

Like the Nintendo example is valid because older people would call any game a Nintendo and any handheld a Gameboy, regardless of if it was from Nintendo or Sega or Sony but usually people only search with google. Unless you're trying to be a smart arse and tell people "bing it!".

So Velcro isn't actually called Velcro? The product has a name?????? Wtf?

This is like how everyone in the UK (or at least; quite a lot of people) say "hoover" when they mean vacuum cleaner. "I'm gonna get the hoover out" - and then pull out a vacuum cleaner that isn't a hoover. "I'm gonna give this a hoover."

Jacuzzi, I think, is another one.

CookTrain

So Velcro isn't actually called Velcro? The product has a name?????? Wtf?

This is like how everyone in the UK (or at least; quite a lot of people) say "hoover" when they mean vacuum cleaner. "I'm gonna get the hoover out" - and then pull out a vacuum cleaner that isn't a hoover. "I'm gonna give this a hoover."

Jacuzzi, I think, is another one.

And yet Hoover's most popular product ISN'T called a Hoover by most people. What a world.

massoluk

Banned
My favorite one is dry ice, because people assume that's just like, the scientific term for it. Nope, it's literally just an arbitrary brand name from way back when.
Wow, shit. This is news to me. We literally translate it to dry ice in my language in my country

lenovox1

So they made half a billion last year? What else do they sell beside [censor] Velcro?

Specialized fastening products.

"We are constantly developing new proprietary technologies and always pushing the envelope to solve problems in the marketplace," [Scott Filion, President of the Americas] says.

"One example is certainly in the diaper world," he says, where Velcro fastening technology is very different than the "traditional" Velcro product.

Another example can be found in transportation, specifically automotive seating. In many instances, the seating fabric is held in place with Velcro brand products, "and it's a real unique, specialized technology," Filion says. "It's very custom designed, proprietary and … conforms to stringent specifications that a customer might have for us. And that's how we tend to work with customers. We'll sit down with them, they'll explain what their needs are, and we'll develop a unique product and technology for them that meet their requirements."

http://www.industryweek.com/manufacturing-leader-week/velcro-ubiquitous

Orbis

It's like here in the UK I call every vacuum cleaner that exists a Hoover.
And kitchen roll is Fiesta
I've not heard the latter but yeah I've never called a vacuum cleaner anything but a hoover. It's also verb, as in "make sure you hoover your room' or 'I am hoovering the house'.

I'll admit I didn't know velcro was a brand. It's far worse than the hoover situation because I don't think anyone knows the actual thing is called 'hook and loop'. But we all know what a vacuum is.

KonradLaw

Here in Poland we call it rzep, which is also the name of the Burdock plant that's inspired the design :)

At the same time every sport shoes here are called addidas in common tongue :D

There's a Wikipedia page on genericized trade Mark's.

This is actually eye-opening!! Never knew this could occur.

Sucks for Adobe then... trying to fight against people using "photoshop", "photoshopped" or "shopped" as a verb on the internet is battle they'll never win.

The usage is so pervasive.

MicH

O had no idea velcro was a brand, always assumed it was just the name for that stuff.

That wiki list is really interesting. I didn't know stuff lije cellophane, heroin and dry ice were originally trademarks.

Nikodemos

Generic trademarks can also disappear over time.

Before the second WW, people in the US used to call all fridges 'Frigidaires', yet nobody does that nowadays.

Though, interestingly, the word has remained in use as a generic term for a fridge in other languages.

theaface

Br1JPrICYAAJjbX.jpg

As this 1990 NOA poster shows it's a very real fear for a company's brand.

c3e.jpg

TheGrizz

So you're telling me I'm supposed to call them 'Hook and Loop' shoes? Go fuck yourselves, this is fucking Velcro.

Top Bottom