• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'd assume screenrant would do their homework, no?

Yes, in saying bullshit. Something is confirmed, when the official press releases state that Carnage is coming, or when Amy Pascal or some other Exec or an actor gives the information away. Until now, we have a report from The Hollywood Reporter. Its a report that is most likely true, but confirmed is something different.

Vidiot

Yeah, it's already to soon for Venom but having Carnage too is really rushing it. Seems like they are gonna skip Peter having the symbiote and Venom harassing Peter. Just doesnt sound like this is going to work out well. Unless Carnage is just at the end as a teaser for Venom 2 or something. Even then if they gloss over Peter's time with the symbiote they already failed.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-kevin-feige-talks-spidey-s-future-studio-collaborations-220 said:
No active discussions, no plans at all for that. The only reason I don't say "no, never" is because of the amazing things that have happened over the 17 years here. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Right now, Spidey is in the MCU and it's just Spidey. Civil War, Homecoming, we've already shot a lot of Tom Holland's scenes in the upcoming Avengers films, and we're just starting to solidify our plans for Homecoming 2 - we won't call it that, whatever it is - which is exciting because it'll be the first MCU movie after untitled Avengers in 2019. It'll be the way Civil War informed everything in Homecoming, those movies will launch him off into a very new cinematic universe at that point. Those five movies are we're focusing on.

They have rights to other characters, and I think they're being very smart in saying 'We have to make a great Venom movie.' They're off to a good start hiring Tom Hardy.

Unclear if this took place before or after:

DCnHW2kXkAA2DRV.jpg

I'd assume screenrant would do their homework, no?

No.

ScreenCRUSH? Maybe

ScreenRANT? Noooooooope.

That said: Since this isn't anything but ScreenRant copy-pasting an industry trade's story and adding 6 paragraphs of rewritten shit, it's probably safe to run with, since the story isn't actually coming FROM ScreenRant, but from THR.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
OK, getting better

the only piece left to clarify is if Marvel is making a Spidey trilogy or only 2 movies

Holland let slip they're working on a solo trilogy + his 3 appearances but Feige says
Because its not official yet. I guess they wanted to save it until after the movie release

Glass Rebel

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm 90% sure that they're going to (more or less) adapt the Venom storyline from Ultimate Spider-Man. It'd make for a decent starting point that includes Spidey initially and then would allow them to go anywhere with Carnage etc.

Glass Rebel

In the MCU Tony Stark worked with Richard Parker on the symbiote to cure cancer but was more interested in its military applications and got Parker killed.

Layell

OK, getting better

the only piece left to clarify is if Marvel is making a Spidey trilogy or only 2 movies

Holland let slip they're working on a solo trilogy + his 3 appearances but Feige says

Civil War counted as one of the 6 Marvel Holland films.

I don't like venom much, and I especially don't like the director Ruben Fleischer

But this Tom Hardy Venom could probably be the best movie mcu villain tbh. Plenty of great actors in marvel flicks as the bad guys but they mostly end up underwhelming. Hardy always goes in when he plays an asshole though

Probably been mentioned, but the Netflix shows also "take place" in the MCU. For all the good it's done it.

The Netflix shows reference MCU stuff all the time (especially Daredevil) and every announcement poster for the shows had the Avengers Tower in the background. They're very much in the MCU.

These Sony movies won't be in the MCU at all and thus won't even be allowed to reference stuff in the Spider-Man films as those are part of the MCU.

Pachimari

These Sony movies won't be in the MCU at all and thus won't even be allowed to reference stuff in the Spider-Man films as those are part of the MCU.
Pretty sure the Venomverse movies can reference stuff from Spider-Man: Homecoming, as that is the building block for Spider-Man in the MCU, and for the Venomverse itself. The Venomverse is just not part of the MCU and will not get to take characters from the MCU. What is unclear is if Tom Holland can appear in the Venomverse films.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pretty sure the Venomverse movies can reference stuff from Spider-Man: Homecoming, as that is the building block for Spider-Man in the MCU, and for the Venomverse itself. The Venomverse is just not part of the MCU and will not get to take characters from the MCU. What is unclear is if Tom Holland can appear in the Venomverse films.
Doesnt sound like it

Top Bottom