• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Venom' (With Tom Hardy) takes place in the spider-man homecoming universe (MCU)

Quick

Banned
Best case scenario: Marvel Studios is involved and works in Venom in the MCU in their own way, Sony just writes the cheque.

Worst case: Sony Pictures' Venom, Starring Tom Hardy. Featuring the cast of Homecoming, but it's not part of the MCU technically!

SpaceWolf

Banned
Marvel: "Venom is not MCU."

Sony: "Please? Pretty please? Dear God help us."

Marvel: *sigh* "Fine."

More like

Reporter: Marvel, is Venom a part of the MCU?

Marvel: Venom is not a part of the MCU.

Reporter: Sony, is Venom a part of the MCU?

Sony: Why, yes!

Marvel:
DCnHW2kXkAA2DRV.jpg

Replicant

Why is this hard to understand?

Spider-Man's main storyline won't have Venom. But Venom's storyline likely will include Spider-Man in some capacity. The same Spider-Man who will show up in Homecoming.

Spider-Man's main storyline won't have Venom. But Venom's storyline likely will include Spider-Man in some capacity. The same Spider-Man who will show up in Homecoming.

Well Peter's in High School and Eddy Brock is played by a 40 actor. So unless Vemon's Spider-man is all CGI and never takes off his mask and is voiced by an older VA then sure it could work.

Blader

I'd be surprised if Holland has any time in his schedule to even be a part of Venom. He has to go from shooting Infinity War to doing press for Homecoming to shooting Avengers 4 to doing press for Infinity War to shooting Homecoming 2 to doing press for Avengers 4 AND Homecoming 2. And I assume he'll want to do something non-Spider-Man related in the middle of all that, heh.

Also, Sony has Holland signed for movies, three of which he's already fulfilled and another two (Avengers 4 and Homecoming 2) are already on the docket. I imagine they'd rather use that last appearance on a Homecoming 3 than waste it on a bit part in a Venom movie.

brawly

As previously mentioned, Feige has stated in the past that Marvel has no creative control over the Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable spin-offs Sony are currently cooking up.

How could it possibly be in the MCU then? Could kill characters off screen.

Cuburt

I'm pretty sure Spider-Man's extended universe stuff will be like Marvel TV to the films, some stuff may crossover, most won't, and they will spend little time acknowledging each other as best and have the acknowledgement be one way at worst.

Spider-Man Homecoming vs Agents of SHIELD
Main crossover character - Spider-Man = Coulson
Big crossover character to give side universe legitimacy - Iron Man = Nick Fury
Smaller crossover characters to give side universe legitimacy - Happy = Sif//Malick/Peggy/Hill
Recognizable characters that wouldn't otherwise be in the MCU, but could if they wanted - Venom/Silver Sable/Black Cat = Ghost Rider/Quake/Deathlok
Villains that wouldn't otherwise be in the MCU - Vulture/Shocker = Hive/Calvin Zabo/Absorbing Man/Madam Hydra/Whitehall/etc.

Most other references that tie the two universes together likely go one way MCU - > TV or now MCU -> Spider-Man -> Sony spin-offs with possible references going from a spin-off like Venom back to main Spider-Man films.

Pizza

So I guess he will exist in Spiderman movies only but be completely ignored in marvel movie canon? I didn't know venom was being done by the Marvel Netflix and TV series team

That's actually fine for a character like Venom though: Eddie Brock + the symbiote hate Peter specifically. If Peter can manage to step on a pro photographer's toes by taking vastly superior spider-pics and then get the symbiote after Parker ditches it (or even just finds it himself to begin with) that's more than enough for Venom

Cuburt

I'd be surprised if Holland has any time in his schedule to even be a part of Venom. He has to go from shooting Infinity War to doing press for Homecoming to shooting Avengers 4 to doing press for Infinity War to shooting Homecoming 2 to doing press for Avengers 4 AND Homecoming 2. And I assume he'll want to do something non-Spider-Man related in the middle of all that, heh.

Also, Sony has Holland signed for movies, three of which he's already fulfilled and another two (Avengers 4 and Homecoming 2) are already on the docket. I imagine they'd rather use that last appearance on a Homecoming 3 than waste it on a bit part in a Venom movie.

We don't know just how much Holland will be in Avengers 3 or 4. Even a cameo in a Venom film could range from Spider-Man in Civil War (3ish scenes) to Wonder Woman in BvS (2ish scenes) or Batman in Suicide Squad (2 minor scenes). If they were selling the film on the back of Venom, they could even keep Holland as a surprise for the film and not have him on the press tour.

SeppOCE

Spiderman can just fuck up eddie brocks career as usual. Doesn't matter how old spidey is.

Trying to stay positive for now....

Hopefully we at least get a good villain origin movie out of it

like split

or they have some sort of intro where Spider-Man beats his ass..

This could be something really, really good. I think they'll connect it with the Homecoming universe in the same way Daredevil, Jessica Jones and everyone else does: same background characters and locations rather than cameos (which they are quite present). I imagine aunt May appearing in the post-credits scene or maybe in the movie. Maybe Eddie will stumble upon her walking in the street or something like that. A real subtle not so obvious thing. But this is Marvel so who knows? Maybe Samuel Jackson will be the connective tissue.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I still say if they were to just go with Venom as this Jason Vorhees kind of character in an almost horror movie but not quite is the best way to do Venom.

So they won't do that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Honestly I'd go for the Lethal Protector/Anti-hero thing. Start the movie by establishing Brock while Spider-Man gets the symbiote. Do the thing from Ultimate where a hot pop star is kidnapped and Spider-Man almost eats the kidnappers, so he goes to the classic church to get rid of it. It finds an angry Brock, and he goes for Spidey. They fight a few times, while Brock is conflicted about if he's truly good or evil. Something big happens in the city, Spider-Man goes to help, Brock crashes the party, and after one big final fight, he joins Spidey to help the innocent. Brock/Venom decides he'll try the hero thing, lethally. End the film with a Robocop homage, with two thugs about to rape a woman, and cutting her hair with a switch blade. Venom goes full horror movie on them. Woman is left OK, but covered in blood and screaming.

Post credits scene sets up Thunderbolts with Zemo. MCU confirmed

KodaRuss

Its good to see that Venom is at least going to be tied in with Spider-Man. Looking forward to this, Tom Hardy is pretty much great in everything he does so I am in for whatever.

DOWN

Banned
So have we figured out yet if they are going to let Spider-Man from the MCU actually appear in the Sony Venom movies?

Or is Sony just gonna write them as being connected despite totally having no rights to touch any characters or actors the MCU is still using?

Defuser

This makes me sad since this is a origin for venom with very little spider-man involvement means no Tom Holland symbiote. I WANT MY TOM HOLLAND DANCING GIFS.

Dai101

Banned
I get the joke but damn, if you had told 15 year old me that there would be a day when Iron Man was more of a draw than Spider-Man I'd have laughed in your face.

I'm sure a lot of people laughed at Kevin Feige when he was funding the first Iron-Man movie and jump-starting the whole MCU with it.

Sony showing Marvel the way it's done (i.e. trying to milk your IPs for all they're worth. Also counting chickens etc.)

Speaking of which, wtf at the amount of hybrid advertisements cum movie teasers. I never even knew such things existed until now.

Sony showing Marvel the way it's done (i.e. trying to milk your IPs for all they're worth. Also counting chickens etc.)

Speaking of which, wtf at the amount of hybrid advertisements cum movie teasers. I never even knew such things existed until now.
Hahaha Sony love this kind of advertising.

Kind of off putting tbh.

So have we figured out yet if they are going to let Spider-Man from the MCU actually appear in the Sony Venom movies?

Or is Sony just gonna write them as being connected despite totally having no rights to touch any characters or actors the MCU is still using?
I still don't see why people think Tom Holland, who is playing a character that Sony owns the rights to, and is appearing in a bunch of movies that Sony is financing and coproducing, but is somehow not allowed to appear in Sony movies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I still don't see why people think Tom Holland, who is playing a character that Sony owns the rights to, and is appearing in a bunch of movies that Sony is financing and coproducing, but is somehow not allowed to appear in Sony movies.

100% there is a clause that does't let Sony use Holland in a Spidey film without Marvel

Alienous

I don't intepret that as Venom being part of the MCU. Just that if they cast someone like J. Jonah Jameson they'll be the same actor in Tom Holland's movies and is in extended Spider-Man ones. Things like logos will probably be shared too.

vio

Best case scenario: Marvel Studios is involved and works in Venom in the MCU in their own way, Sony just writes the cheque.

Worst case: Sony Pictures' Venom, Starring Tom Hardy. Featuring the cast of Homecoming, but it's not part of the MCU technically!k
This is it probably.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Worrying about canon over a franchise that's on it's third reboot? Cmon guys!

theres only one MCU baby

I don't intepret that as Venom being part of the MCU. Just that if they cast someone like J. Jonah Jameson they'll be the same actor in Tom Holland's movies and is in extended Spider-Man ones. Things like logos will probably be shared too.

yeah hence the term "adjunct"

100% there is a clause that does't let Sony use Holland in a Spidey film without Marvel
Says who?

People keep thinking Marvel had a ton of leverage in their negotiations with Sony, but this is a studio that is making movies practically for free for their rival studio. This is an unprecedented giveaway from a business standpoint and basically amounts to a "do whatever to get it done" type of concession. I doubt Marvel can stop Sony from doing anything with the franchise , even if they have some kind of clause.

Top Bottom