• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch graphics are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture

Kimawolf

Man shit. Nintendo isn’t cheaping out even if they used Maxwell Gen 2.. Maxwell is not some 5 year old AMD shit. Maxwell is plenty powerful, modern and of shrink to 16 or 14nm is no slouch.

People read thread topics then freak out. Jesus calm down.

And the "i told ya so" crowd. Again get a clue, Maxwell is not just some trash. There is a reason Nvidia been kicking AMDs ass for years now.

And again with Nvidia doing the heavy lifting why even doubt its going to be a little powerhouse?

Keyouta

Pascal is based on Maxwell, and so is Tegra X1, so I wouldn't be too worried or overreactionary until we definitely know what's powering this device, whether that's next month at the launch event, or in March and April when the unit is torn down.

Matbtz

As a console, its going to be competing against the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio. Both are leagues ahead in terms of computing power, assuming Maxwell.

As a handheld its going up against itself. And I'm betting that unless they have performed miracles with the battery, it won't get close to 5-8 hours unless its just sitting on a menu screen. Maxwell is a 28nm chip.

Firstly, as à console it should compete with Pro/Scorpio OR Ps4/one because the games are made to work for all these consoles.

And the chip is 20nm, and even if the battery is not 5-8h you can charge it with your phone charger or even greater a power bank. But that's only my opinion.

Why am I not surprised.

These Switch threads were filled with people who continuously confused their desires with reality. Blathering tech talk about what's possible and logical and completely losing the bigger picture in the process. This is still Nintendo and they are out to make a profit on these things.

How about reading some of the first few pages, because the article is full of flaws.

trixx

Have you seen gears of war 4 running on the Xbox one? There's no way the switch gets close to that.

I'm referring primarily to third parties and not first party head development studios. And yeah around the same ball-park which i honestly thought was not only an attainable goal but also would make sense since pro/scorpio prolong the base models as well. Regardless I hope third parties ports are indeed on board.

All i'm saying they could have taken power our of the equation, or perhaps made it less of a factor. Personally I barely play portable games in the first place so it's not the feature I'm primarily interested in, I'd use it like my wii u.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Have you seen gears of war 4 running on the Xbox one? There's no way the switch gets close to that.

GOW4 looks good because of assets and engine more than the specs of XB1. XB1 doesn't compare to pcs running it in 4k on ultra for the record.Regardless this doesn't change the fact the damn game can run on garbage I3 with a intel 4000 so your point doesn't add much to conversation except to be snarky.

It will get closer than any other nintendo platform could.

That's what I expect. Wii U-like visuals but at 1080p with AA and AF.

I wonder if it can run something like Assassin's Creed Syndicate or Witcher 3 at 720p?

Errrm... But the Wii U already hosts two ambitious open-world titles whose universes are bigger than several X4 open-world titles combined in LOZ: Breath Of The Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles X. It hosts them AND displays GamePad content. While it most definitely won't happen, those could be done on the Wii U in some capacity, but would demand "from-the-ground-up" work to make it happen. I know this goes against the tide of long-held and popular belief on here and certain sites whose every word is taken as gospel, and I'm not sorry - It never was orders of magnitude "weaker" than X4 consoles, but more Dreamcast/PS2-XBox than Wii-PS360, and there's plenty of evidence out there to back that up. Switch is obviously more powerful than the Wii U, and has the support of even more publishers on board. We've even had reports of it running Dark Souls 3 - a 2016 title, no less. It isn't beyond the realm of reason to conclude that it's better or more capable than some of the posts in this thread are anticipating. How much better, nobody can say, BUT I don't believe that Bethesda would put the Skyrim: Special Edition Demo on their system, or that they would be fully on board and looking forward to putting more titles on the Switch, if it wasn't able to handle such games, if it presented development nightmares. Eventually, one has to consider these points, and stop dismissing official press releases as "PR fluff". It isn't the "monster machine" some want it to be, and it's not the low-ball end of the spectrum others wish "for the LOLs". I also feel that it's important for members to concern themselves less with spec sheet numbers and what's in the box, and more with what the developers are actually doing with the resources at their disposal. Once more, Dark Souls 3, a title from 2016, with a view to porting the trilogy. Bethesda on board, and vocal about the fact. Reports of PS4 titles being moved (likely ported) to Switch. A growing list of partners - By the way, to qualify as a partner, that means having games in development for it; It isn't just a random list of names, for those who remain eternal pessimists. It's an infinitely better position than the two years of negative momentum the Wii U had pre-and post-launch.

Even if one was to entertain the off-the-shelf Tegra X1 scenario, some perspective is necessary... Please take a look at this clip of the Elemental Unreal 4 Demo. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a clip of this running on the XBox One, but considering that it's less powerful than the PS4, perhaps we can deduce that it wouldn't match the PS4 footage and take a place second from the right. The differences between the three are not such that the Tegra X1 footage starts to look 'bad' or 'outdated' (whatever the hell THAT means...), and it holds its own next to the others. Now, consider that the Tegra X1 has been shackled by Android, whereas that wouldn't be the case for Switch. Consider that Nvidia's own press release literally tells us that they have provided tools for optimisation. Finally, consider that what's in the Switch isn't an off-the-shelf Tegra X1, but a customised design, based on Nvidia's top performing cards (once more, Nvidia's own words), and, by the way, it'll probably do better in CPU performance than X4 consoles, too. So, the lines between those in the comparison clip become even more blurred. I'm not saying it's going to be mega powerful, only that there are enough receipts out there to put concerns to rest. If the Wii U is at the Dreamcast/PS2 end of the 8th Generation scale, the Switch would be somewhere between a "PS2 Pro" or a GameCube, surprising people from time to time during its lifecycle... and that's fine, especially if it's looking to achieve a lower point of entry to ownership. If the Switch misses out on a game, it won't be because it doesn't have the capacity to handle it, but because the publisher decided it doesn't want it there. So, less knee-jerk, and a little more faith, please. **Takes Pitcher; Sips Cocktail...**

As a console, its going to be competing against the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio. Both are leagues ahead in terms of computing power, assuming Maxwell.

As a handheld its going up against itself. And I'm betting that unless they have performed miracles with the battery, it won't get close to 5-8 hours unless its just sitting on a menu screen. Maxwell is a 28nm chip.

In some senses it's competing, in others it isn't. Being a handheld and with what that means in terms of the franchises it will get puts it at a distinct advantage I'd argue. Hell, Pokémon ALONE will guarantee sales of ~20 million units.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Eeeeeh... that's gears of war one and actually running like crap, but ok.

removed it.

Point still stands go find low spec videos of game running on youtube there is no shortage. Switch can punch above it, so do you care to clarify your point or just want to waltz yourself in to certain arguments others are?

Is it really reasonable to expect a device that can practically fit in your pocket to be powering PS4 (or Xbox One) tier titles with a reasonable battery life at a decent framerate?

And if so, why isn't the PS4 Slim or Xbox One S considerably smaller?

Eolz

Is it really reasonable to expect a device that can practically fit in your pocket to be powering PS4 (or Xbox One) tier titles with a reasonable battery life at a decent framerate?

And if so, why isn't the PS4 Slim or Xbox One S considerably smaller?

Imagine that a PS4 game running on medium PC settings, would run on High on Pro, medium with lower res on X1, and low on Switch (with lower res too).
Different expectations and goals.

If the Switch is a success, it wouldn't be surprising to see Sony try it too (it would be surprising for MS due to the whole Windows ecosystem).

Jose92

[Membe
GOW4 looks good because of assets and engine more than the specs of XB1. XB1 doesn't compare to pcs running it in 4k on ultra for the record.Regardless this doesn't change the fact the damn game can run on garbage I3 with a intel 4000 so your point doesn't add much to conversation except to be snarky.

It will get closer than any other nintendo platform could.

Please Read the description of the video you posted, this is the original GEARS OF WAR (2007) GAMEPLAY.

LoveCake

The 3DS is way, way, way overpriced compared to its hardware. You shouldn't compare the two.

People will do though, if both systems are going to sit alongside each other as it seems that Nintendo are going to do, I paid the full whack when the 3DS was released as I got mine on release day, the prices of Nintendo consoles rarely go down, even with all the trouble the WiiU has and still has the price is still £238 (with a game) here in the UK (this is just the price on Amazon) ok the WiiU is £40-50 more expensive than the 'new' 3DS's which people are still buying, so what price with profit for the Switch hardware, if it's too close to the 3DS then the 3DS is finished, if it's too higher a price then it's up against the X1s and PS4-Pro with it's apparent hardware disadvantage.

I think we need to know exactly how much input Nvidia have had with the Switch, would Nvidia want to be involved and end up getting shown up?

In regards to the hardware and Maxwell architecture (maybe due to keeping costs down) is there too much of a compromise, there still is a place for a full home-based console and also a mobile console like the 3DS, I don't really think that mobile phones are up to the level where they are able to compete with actual 'full' games, most are F2P and/or quick fire pick up and play games as opposed to the more in-depth games on the 3DS and Vita.

I think that the graphics that have been seen on the Switch so far on it's mobile screen are one thing, but what about on the TV when it is docked, everyone seems hyped for 4k on their X1s and PS4-Pro is there enough in the Switch when docked to run at 4k and HDR?

This is what I was saying in my previous comment, that by not saying anything Nintendo are letting people run away with any leak or releasing of a snippet of comment in regards to the Switch and it is causing detrimental commenting about the Switch by wild speculation.

Dakhil

Imagine that a PS4 game running on medium PC settings, would run on High on Pro, medium with lower res on X1, and low on Switch (with lower res too).
Different expectations and goals.

If the Switch is a success, it wouldn't be surprising to see Sony try it too (it would be surprising for MS due to the whole Windows ecosystem).

Well, Microsoft has shown Windows 10 running on ARM, so I don't think it's too unexpected for Microsoft to try it out if the Nintendo Switch becomes a success.

But of course, I could be wrong.

This is going to be the third console in a row now where people bizarrely and misguidedly expect a new Nintendo box to be a beacon of hot new tech and hardcore gaming.

It's going to play Nintendo games, the Nintendo games are largely going to be very good and look great thanks largely to art design, we'll get some shitty ports and some decent ports and some weird third party exclusives, and it's going to drop at a fair, accessible price point.

Lookin forward to 2021 or whenever when we can do this all over again. I think the Switch is going to be great for the record.

Eolz

Well, Microsoft has shown Windows 10 running on ARM, so I don't think it's too unexpected for Microsoft to try it out if the Nintendo Switch becomes a success.

But of course, I could be wrong.

By that I meant that they would argue that they already have Surface for that. Arguably could go this way too, but it's more several devices on the same OS, while Sony would go for a different approach.

Buggy Loop

Holy shit, it just keeps pouring in, peoples who just read the thread title and associate maxwell with some old shit tech.

A custom tegra is "based" on Maxwell
Pascal is "based" on Maxwell

repeat

repeat

repeat

Holy shit, it just keeps pouring in, peoples who just read the thread title and associate maxwell with some old shit tech.

repeat

repeat

repeat

Seriously, we're 36 pages in and this is still happening. I expected this thread to end sooner, seems I expected too much.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Why am I not surprised.

These Switch threads were filled with people who continuously confused their desires with reality. Blathering tech talk about what's possible and logical and completely losing the bigger picture in the process. This is still Nintendo and they are out to make a profit on these things.

You're taking this as confirmation that Switch is just a handheld Wii U in terms of performance?

Can a mod please either change the title in light of the fact that this article is incredibly poor or just close this thread?

Maxwell means literally nothing in terms of how powerful this is or can be, and the article is full of incredibly poor understanding of tech and his conclusions are laughable. Seriously, to those who can't seem to read past the title, this article is claiming the Switch might be more powerful than the XB1 and the GPU performance is 1TFLOPS compared to the PS4's 1.8. He comes to this conclusion based on his sources claiming Maxwell.

This thread is incredibly disappointing.

Oersted

Why am I not surprised.

Nintendo, that one company that wants to make profit on these things.

LCGeek

formerly sane

That works well enough, worse than some of the other videos I found. Game is a gem on a decent machine, but it can run on quite a bit low powered tech these days.

Here's another.

Strip out windows bloat, add in some optimization do not see why at 720p switch would sweat the game. There are plenty of other titles that would beg the question but those are on PS4, ryse is doable on switch considering it could do crysis 3.

Nanashrew

Banned

repeat

repeat

repeat

You are more patient than I, Buggy.

atr0cious

Why are people disappointed? It's Nintendo.
More disappointed in shitty posts like these popping up that are responding to no one and very obviously have no fucking clue what the article is actually talking about.

This is the most embarrassing thread in neogaf since the bayo2 thread, and at least those people sorta/kinda had a reason to feel angry.

AzaK

repeat

repeat

repeat

Two year old tech is pretty old.

SURGEdude

Man shit. Nintendo isn’t cheaping out even if they used Maxwell Gen 2.. Maxwell is not some 5 year old AMD shit. Maxwell is plenty powerful, modern and of shrink to 16 or 14nm is no slouch.

People read thread topics then freak out. Jesus calm down.

And the "i told ya so" crowd. Again get a clue, Maxwell is not just some trash. There is a reason Nvidia been kicking AMDs ass for years now.

And again with Nvidia doing the heavy lifting why even doubt its going to be a little powerhouse?

I'm not sure using the market as an example of quality is the way to go. By that metric Tegra and pretty much everything nVidia has done in the mobile market has been a disaster. Both them and Intel have done little to leverage their advantage in the PC space to replicate it in mobile.

And in both cases it hasn't been because the products are bad, I think it has more to do with overcharging and especially in nVidia's case a long history of pissing people off and screwing partners. Just ask Microsoft about nVidia and the OG Xbox. I think it's a pretty well known rumor that the 360 was rushed into design and production partially so MS could get away from nVidia.

All that being said their lack of success in mobile might mean Nintendo is getting a good deal to increase volume and help make their investments worth it. if that's the case then it could be mutually beneficial. And if they nVidia is serious about helping with porting tools that could be huge. Anybody who's played some of the Shield ports can attest to how surprisingly well some of them came out.

Zedark

Two year old tech is pretty old.

You don't get it. Pascal, that new tech people are drooling over, is nothing but a slightly Evolution of Maxwell, the old tech. A custom chip based on Maxwell the same way Pascal is based on Maxwell would be just as new as any Pascal chip.

In fact, simply die shrink in standard Maxwell architecture gives you the exact same results as Pascal architecture would at the same die size.

Speely

Banned
Why is this thread still here?

It's pointless because I still see some posters jumping to conclusions just by only reading the damn title.

If that's the criteria by which you are going to judge thread viability, then GAF is a fail by default. Threads are pretty much all front-loaded based upon the title. Still the best forum on the internet despite that.

If that's the criteria by which you are going to judge thread viability, then GAF is a fail by default. Threads are pretty much all front-loaded based upon the title. Still the best forum on the internet despite that.

I know, but my God is it annoying some people just only read the title and assume that's it.

It's even worse with Nintendo threads.

KHlover

Banned
Ok so all that's been happening ITT in the last two days has been users not reading beyond the thread title spouting BS and users who have read beyond the thread title trying to correct them. Rinse and repeat.

Dowse it in gasoline and burn it to the ground, there's no actual discussion going on anymore

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Was there people really expecting ps4 performances?

In any case as long as i can play games like skyrim and dark souls well(i don't care about visual downgrades) i'm fine with anything.

Top Bottom