• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VF2 Model 2 (1994) vs. VF2 PS2 (2004). 56k'ers will be SPoDded

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SEGA's heritage as a hardware manufacturer meant their developers were always involved in the design of the platform on which they'd work. The systems were shaped to some extent to their interests, so the developers have become quite discerning towards a machine on the basis of its hardware. It's more important to their work ethic than some typical third party who's used to just working on whatever's served to them.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lazy8s said:
SEGA's heritage as a hardware manufacturer meant their developers were always involved in the design of the platform on which they'd work. The systems were shaped to some extent to their interests, so the developers have become quite discerning towards a machine on the basis of its hardware. It's more important to their work ethic than some typical third party who's used to just working on whatever's served to them.

...give me a second I'm still looking for the 'point'....

snapty00

Banned
Lazy8s said:
What the fuck are you even talking about, anymore?

Talk about mountains out of mole hills. Everything that's been bitched about (from what I read) is focused on aesthetics. What about the gameplay??? I'd much rather pay $25 for this over a hundred(s) to play the arcade version, if the gameplay is faithful. Also, what TV are you using for those screen grabs because the display can differ greatly. Also, is it calibrated properly? All these things factor into the sharpness (downsampled textures aside) of the overall picture.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The only thing I find odd is the geometric differences in the modeling.

Miburou

Did you take the pics of the PS2 version running in full-screen mode or the the mode with borders that emulates the arcade's resolution?

I wish I could buy a VF2 arcade machine (and a SRC while I'm at it) just to relive my colleague years.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
DarienA:
...give me a second I'm still looking for the 'point'....
The explanation that the design of a system matters more to SEGA than to most developers pretty well relates why there's such a disparity between the craftsmanship of SEGA's games on different platforms.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
DarienA:

The explanation that the design of a system matters more to SEGA than to most developers pretty well relates why there's such a disparity between the craftsmanship of SEGA's games on different platforms.

I suppose that speaks volumes about the current talent residing at Sega...

Quite a shame.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lazy8s said:
DarienA:

...at some point you're going to tie this back... I know if I wait long enough...

Great screenshots, Sho. Can you make your camera take 60 shots per second so we can count how many missed frames the PS2 version has? This thing is as stuttery as the DC port of Sega Rally.

maskrider

AndriaSang said:
Great screenshots, Sho. Can you make your camera take 60 shots per second so we can count how many missed frames the PS2 version has? This thing is as stuttery as the DC port of Sega Rally.

If so, I am glad that I hadn't bought it as I don't have time to go to the stores yet before I read your message (I am currently playing the US version of SH II (SH Covenant)). That save me some cash for Nightmare before Chrismas (already available, heh !).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's a very interesting text that talks to great detail about this 'port' (when you read it, you'll see that it's not really a port but rather a Model 2 emulator on PS2 running VF2, as they couldn't port it because the original source code and model and texture data were lost)

http://www.sega.jp/community/segavoice/041014/01_4.html
(use babelfish)

Considering that Model 2 emulators on PC require monster hardware in comparision to what PS2 has, it's not really a bad work by Sega's programmers.

*edit* It also explains why they opted for 57.7 FPS instead of 60. Due to the timing of the original hardware, reproduction of the exact framerate was necessary or the game would not work in the emulated environment. Too bad, as I think having timed frame drops all the time must be annoying thing to watch.

nitewulf

i see the lighting is off, it looks very flat, and the textures obviously took a hit. personally i didnt see the point of this port to begin with though, when you have VF4 whats the point? ports of never released games like Scud Racer is one thing but this is just for sheer nostalgic reasons.

jett

D-Member
If it was running on an emulator some of the textures wouldn't be so drastically different. Hell just look at the roof of the temple, very different. This is no emulator. They just built the game from the ground up on the PS2 and tried to reproduce the arcade version as much as they could.

They failed, obviously.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
does anyone here want to buy my VF4 deluxe cabinet (with VF4 of course)?

serious replies only.

dark10x

jett said:
If it was running on an emulator some of the textures wouldn't be so drastically different. Hell just look at the roof of the temple, very different. This is no emulator. They just built the game from the ground up on the PS2 and tried to reproduce the arcade version as much as they could.

They failed, obviously.

You can modify an emulated game...

jenov4

So like, are there any GOOD Sega Ages games out there?

And when is this coming to North America? I believe THQ is supposed to release a single DVD with all these Sega Ages games on it.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
You can modify an emulated game...

If you are gong to end up modifying it to this extent why bother creating a freaking Model 2 emulator for a complicated piece of hardware like the PS2? :p Sorry no, there's nothing that indicates me that it's running on an emu.

snapty00

Banned
They lost the source code? Really?

I'd bet you anything that Nintendo still has the source to freaking Super Mario Bros. How did Sega lose the code for a relatively recent game like Virtua Fighter?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They just built the game from the ground up on the PS2 and tried to reproduce the arcade version as much as they could.
You'd be better off reading that text if you are interesting in the matter at hand.

I would say VR-FlatOut is the only good one.

dark10x

jett said:
Sorry no, there's nothing that indicates me that it's running on an emu.
そこで頭に浮かんだのは、“エミュレーション(PS2上に MODEL 2 のプログラム動作環境を仮想的に再現する)” という手法でした。

So they are just making shit up now?

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing it's emulated given the textures, models and lighting is all noticably different. Unless they went into the game itself, dropped polycounts, changed lighting and used lower rez textures... but then I'd assume they'd need the source code to do all that. ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing it's emulated given the textures, models and lighting is all noticably different.
You need to look no further than the development shots of various emulators to see that they can run the game with graphics all screwed up, with wireframes instead of polygons, etc. That is especially true if the 3D hardware of the original is emulated by mapping functions to a 3D hardware of the platform that is running the emulator (which of course is the case here as the software rendering emulation would be way too slow)

jarrod

Banned
Well, it could possibly explain the lighting and modeling... but what about the textures? They're actually different, easily seen in the shots? :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They have the whole section in that text dedicated to textures and what they did with them, so go and read it :) Seriously, the text is about as technical as texts on Gamasutra, perhaps even more so.

well, alot of the bugs and glitches work, like magic throwing akira from across screen on a bodycheck

and the textures don't look vastly different, just off color and with alot of misalignments... anyone ever use an emulator where the game's textures are misaligned depending on what filters you use?

Koshiro

Marconelly said:
Here's a very interesting text that talks to great detail about this 'port' (when you read it, you'll see that it's not really a port but rather a Model 2 emulator on PS2 running VF2, as they couldn't port it because the original source code and model and texture data were lost)
:lol :lol :lol

Astro City machine: Free with $60 shipping. VF2 board: $60. Harness: $20. Having this shit in your house: Priceless

wait, so you managed to get the whole cab and board for under $200? Is this what these machines normally go for or did you just get a lucky find?

jarrod

Banned
Yow, it is emulated. :/

Though they didn't lose the source code entirely, just the 2.1 revision. Also there was a problem extracting graphic data due to toolsets or something?

Still doesn't explain the textures miraculously being lower rez though. In fact the article says the PS2 & Model 2 textures are identical (which they pretty clearly aren't). Maybe it'd help if someone translated directly?

OmniGamer

jarrod said:
Not true, PS2 has 4MB VRAM while Saturn had about 6.09MB total system RAM.

I think the point was that PS2's 4MB of VRAM was more than any of Saturn's one type of RAM(System, video, audio)...not that PS2's VRAM was more than Saturn's total RAM.

jarrod

Banned
OmniGamer said:
I think the point was that PS2's 4MB of VRAM was more than any of Saturn's one type of RAM(System, video, audio)...not that PS2's VRAM was more than Saturn's total RAM.
Well, I took "any kind of RAM" to mean just that. :p

Also with the RAM cart added, Saturn would've had 6MB of main RAM (about 10.09MB total).

Emulation makes sense since lack of RAM on PS2 for shitty texture explaination falls apart when you realise that the entire Model 2 hardware has like probably less than 8MB of RAM (I think it's even less to 4MB, actually). If the game was re-coded/ported for PS2, 32MB+4MB+2MB of PS2 would have been more than plenty without any streaming of textures from main RAM to VRAM.

But for emulation, 38MB is really bare. I can see them compressing the shit out of existing textures to make emulation of Model 2 VF2 work with 38MB of PS2 RAM.

Emulation also makes sense of the slow down. If PS2 can do massive geometry of Soul Calibur 2 (conservatively, 75,000+ triangles per frame) without problems @60fps while doing more complicated animations and physics etc., only emulation can make sense of struggling with less than 5,000 quads per frame @58fps.

stage3.jpg

Why, why, why did we not get an updated VF4 version of this stage? We get an updated dojo (big whoop), a great wall (actually the great wall stage was pretty cool) and then a bunch of bleh stages like the cave and the harbour but not this. Not the stage which is probably the most fondly recalled in all VF history. They'd better do a dazzlingly gorgeous version for VF5.

He does admit that they had to compress the textures in order to make them fit. He says that the Model 2 has more texture memory than the PS2.

The 57.5 framerate thing is, he says, both for control and for graphics output. People internal to Sega complained that the Sega Saturn version felt too fast, so they wanted to change the speed at which the controller is read.

mosaic

go eat paint
Wow, the blurry, stretched textures are a damn shame.... looks like they made the backgrounds in a homebrew Windows app. At least the Saturn port is almost 10 years old.

john tv

jenov4 said:
Phantasy Star: Generation 1 is surprisingly decent, so far (bout 14 hours in). If you like the original Phantasy Star, that is.

Argyle

If they're using an emulator, that makes more sense. I didn't look at the article, but I bet the emulator core just emulates the CPU and geometry coprocessor, and then the commands sent to the graphics chip are run through an emulation layer that maps Model 2 graphics commands to GS graphics commands.

If they're not poking into the state of the program for hints (like "it looks like the game is trying to render Sarah, I should load the textures for Sarah now and not have any other textures loaded") then I could see them statically loading the VRAM and hoping for the best, since they wouldn't know what the emulated game is trying to do.

It's too bad that they didn't give us options to run the game at full NTSC framerate, or to ignore vsync when rendering at 57Hz (you'd see a tearing effect scroll down the screen every so often but the motion would be more fluid)...

SaitoH

This is a real shame. I would of loved an arcade perfect version of Vf2, but sadly, it seem that won't happen.

Die Squirrel Die said:
stage3.jpg

Why, why, why did we not get an updated VF4 version of this stage? We get an updated dojo (big whoop), a great wall (actually the great wall stage was pretty cool) and then a bunch of bleh stages like the cave and the harbour but not this. Not the stage which is probably the most fondly recalled in all VF history. They'd better do a dazzlingly gorgeous version for VF5.

They sort of updated it for Shun's VF3 stage - but no bridge. I really loved some of those VF3 stages. Don't know why VF3 gets such a hard time with fans, I really loved it (though I can never go back to playing it since VF4 admittedly, I think I loved the game's art design and music more than anything else, whereas VF4 / Evo / FT is pure gameplay euphoria).

hirokazu

couldn't they have just built a Model2 emulator for PS2, like Nintendo did for Zelda? or is the PS2 not capable of handling that either?

dark10x

hirokazu said:
couldn't they have just built a Model2 emulator for PS2, like Nintendo did for Zelda? or is the PS2 not capable of handling that either?

That's kind of what they did. Did you not read the thread? :p

It's not like you can compare an N64 emulator to a Model 2 emulator, though. I mean, there isn't even one single fully functional, high speed Model 2 emulator available on the PC whereas N64 emulation has been around for years now.

Emulating Model 2 is FARRRR more complex.

Top Bottom