• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

Acorn

IF and its a big if this is true (and there isn't any other hidden Anti consumer rights bullshit) then I will look at my position again.

Triple U

Banned
Coincidence? Naw. It's almost obvious that this comes from someone with a stake in the next Xbox, I won't necessarily say from MS. I think they were feeling the sting of the big wave of disapproval and negative press.

Good news.

stackable?

32x.jpg

This isn't even my final form.

Kimawolf

Honestly sounds like Microsoft "accidentally" sprung a "leak" today with several sites suddenly receiving "leaked" information.

*MS exec sitting in bar with some journos "accidentally" leaves his files marked XBOX sucessor, CLASSIFIED" on bar counter... Next day....*

"No online required!!! Only for smaller unit!! What a scoop!"

Donos

Idea is rather good i think. The (gaming) durango part can stay rather "cheap". Hardcore is going to buy the AppleTV/BC box nonetheless. What a year this is going to be.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LOL, how is this different than just keeping your 360 side by side with a Durango?

The convenience of accessing your 360 content via your Durango, the Durango interface etc. without having to fiddle separately with your 360.

Like I say, I hope it works also with a regular 360. Just connect them on the same network, leave your 360 somewhere, and the user interfaces just with Durango to play content off the 360. You can sort of hide the 360 away and forget it's there (except that you keep it plugged in and hooked up with the requisite cables :p).

Basically just makes it more convenient to keep using your old machine in a 'new machine' context.

Zia

Not requiring to change tv inputs?

Or having a massive box in your living room. Not sure why it's so confusing to some people (and if it is just an add-on you'll probably be able to flip your 360 for a decent portion of the cost), and sounds like a much better plan than Sony's (which is just a vague promise at this point).

I wonder how small this new 360 will be if they plan on that being their go to backwards compatibility option. I already have 3 devices hooked up to my TV, I'm sure others have more.

Lots of leaks today as well, IT"S COMING.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The 2-3 threads on this need to be merged and the thread title needs to better reflect the most important info in the article.

How did all these threads get made and none of them mention used games and always online in the title? Now I'm convinced BC is a big deal, I really never thought it was important. Play old games on your old console.

Its like I've been in one of those 'you're not you when you're hungry' Snickers commercials for the past few days. Everybody is grumpy and shitting on everything Nextbox and then this drops and everybody goes back to normal.

Or having a massive box in your living room. Not sure why it's so confusing to some people (and if it is just an add-on you'll probably be able to flip your 360 for a decent portion of the cost), and sounds like a much better plan than Sony's (which is just a vague promise at this point).

This "add on" is still an entire 360 minus the disc drive. It would still be fairly large and require its own power.

Master_JO

Banned
This is the dumbest idea ever. Buying a console that piggybacks off another console to give me BC from my last console doesn't sound like the best way to go about this.
Stop complaining and don't buy the small one for BC. You still got your 360 right? If not, why bother playing last Gen games on a next Gen console? Do you buy next Gen console to play old games? Better yet, why not buy a PS4?
Never knew this site was overwhelmed with childish behavior. Not directly to but to everyone who can't stop complaining about something that isn't revealed yet.

iavi

I can get behind this. So, it's like an add-on for BC that'll include 360 internals?

E: ohh. This is like the 32x/CD all over again. Hopefully better implemented

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not so sure existing 360s would interface with Durango in the same manner as this proposed device.

See no reason why not, technically?

I'm sure it probably will, but the new revision will probably carry stylings consistent with Durango, and may sit alongside it better etc.

MechDX

The way I understand it:

Durango: new console, plays games without requiring an online connection

Stingray: ad on device which allows IPTV type features and backwards compatability with 360 games

Correct?

Having bought 3 360s already due to problems, I'm pretty pissed off at the prospect of having to buy yet another just to get backwards compatibility..

Xilium

In the same way my 360 was always online(i.e it automatically connected to XBL when turned on), but being offline didn't stop it working (which was the big fear arising from the earlier rumours).

I don't know. Seems like that wouldn't be something worth mentioning in all the other rumors if this was the case. Of course, all those rumors could have been BS but so could this one...

Personally, I think the original rumors were true and after seeing the backlash, MS decided to backpedal on that decision and "leaked" this information.

Trevelyon

Sounds like a controlled leak. But it is good they are getting out in front it before it spirals further out of their usually very message controlling hands.

Offline play and a viable, if not ideal BC substitute for Durango is GOOD news, very good news.

Iacobellis

I feel like Microsoft will capitalize on the fact the Durango will theoretically have BC on day one, whereas Sony hasn't confirmed when it will be available on the PS4.

GavinGT

Banned
See no reason why not, technically?

I'm sure it probably will, but the new revision will probably carry stylings consistent with Durango, and may sit alongside it better etc.

I hope it does too, but maybe the new one includes a special chip or something that handles the interface. I don't know.

Basically you have to buy two Xboxs if you want to have BC. Basically the only people this is targeting is for people who want to opt into the whole Xbox family. Since you can't just buy this mini Xbox to just play 360 games.

I guess this is a good way for Microsoft to have BC without gimping the Durango.

So by keeping my 360, I can play games on the Durango?
I don't think the old 360 can connect to the Durango.

Top Bottom