• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Dark Souls 3 Patch 1.11 PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test (Unlocked Frame-rate)

valkyre

This whole framepacing and unlocked framerates without giving users the iption to lock the damn thing is fucking disgusting and i honestly have no damn clue how an experienced developer would do such a thing...

ffs...

Stevey

I wish they'd unlock it on PC so I can try and hit 144, or is the engine not up to it?

But this sounds disappointing for PS4 owners.

convo

This whole framepacing and unlocked framerates without giving users the iption to lock the damn thing is fucking disgusting and i honestly have no damn clue how an experienced developer would do such a thing...

ffs...

This Pro part of this patch really seems like an after thought,like putting of some limits and seeing what happens.It's important to give them feedback because they eventually listen to it and this thing really requires it.

It's like they are mentally incapable of comprehending "smooth". They look at the words of the angry mob and have no clue at all why they are upset. "Look here, we gave you more FPS! More is better, isn't it? Frame Pacific what? Bloodborne is 30 FPS slready!"
I laughed

Joey Ravn

Banned
Do they at least give you the option to lock it to 30FPS or you screwed like FF15?

edit: looking at the video it isn't that bad. Mostly sits at 50 fps.

dat framepacing, though.

Lowering the bar to accomodate to FROM's poor implementation of this patch isn't the way to go. And, just to be clear, it goes up and dow 30 to 50 FPS in some areas by the end of the video. That's not acceptable.

Its pretty close to 60 in many scenarios.

The same goes here. Seriously, stop trying to justify this shit.

Frostman

Honestly, reading this thread made me think it was terrible. FFXV terrible. But it averages around 50FPS which is honestly quite surprising to me.

There may sometimes be dips to the mid 40s but there are equally increases to close to 60.

I agree it's not great, especially not having a cap, but although it's not great for me personally, many will be happy with this.

BeeDog

What happened with most Japanese development teams? Seems quite a few of them have taken complete nosedives regarding the technical merits of their games, and if something was not broken, they sure seem eager to fuck it up afterwards.

Such a crying shame, they used to be in the forefront. :(

Rien

Jelly Belly
Haha what? What was the framerate on consoles before? 30?

Yes, but with the typical Frame Pacing Shit... Curious how it plays when i get home but i hope it isnt as bad as some ppl make it out to be.
Really want to start a new car since i still have to play both DLC's,
There is no way to play the coming DLC without having this patch right?
Man, i really hope that From fix their engine for the next game.

ISee

Offering an uncapped framerate as an option is fine, but they definitely need to implement a way to lock it to 30 if the game isn't running at mostly 60fps.

That said I recently bought ff15 on my pro because of the price error (wanted to wait for the pc version but 13.70€ was to tempting) and I have to say the unlocked lite mode feels way better then the capped 30fps high mode with terrible framepacing.

Variable 45-60 has never really bothered me. It's how i played it on my pc and it was great. However there are people who cant play it that way (i hate it if it varies from say 30-50 as its way more noticeable for example). But not including a simple 30 fps lock seems pretty dumb.

kek_lel

This 'patch' is a real shame, since its worse than a nice steady 30fps.
Is there a way NOT to use pro mode on a ps4 pro console? Im in a position where I can upgrade from a normal ps4 to a pro for very cheap. I fear they might 'patch' bloodborne someday on pro. So I might actually be better off with a normal ps4...

Dahaka

The 30fps before weren't fine either. Fix framepacing, up the resolution@locked 30. enough.

Yet still the fluctuation doesn't really bother me. Guess I'll die.

yume_2501

I will never understand the hatred for variable frame rates.
Amen brother, and honestly from the video don t seems a mess to me like a lot of people are saying here. I ll try the game later today but i already know from what i see that for sure i ll like it better than the 30 FPS capped version. Obviously if there is an option to lock the FPS the better for all but for sure i ll play with unlocked option on if there Will be a choice here

Holykael1

Banned
Even if its not ideal. I always prefer unlocked close to 60 fps, I never saw what the big fuss was about, still feels like a smoother game than locked 30. To each his own.

horkrux

As usual, giving us the option to unlock framerate would be nice. This approach here is just a mess.

This 'patch' is a real shame, since its worse than a nice steady 30fps.
Is there a way NOT to use pro mode on a ps4 pro console? Im in a position where I can upgrade from a normal ps4 to a pro for very cheap. I fear they might 'patch' bloodborne someday on pro. So I might actually be better off with a normal ps4...

Well, unless you're big into online in Bloodborne you could just refuse to install the patch. But there is no way to force Amateur mode, no.

Bloodborne won't get patched anyway. Not in a million years.

Bl@de

latest

ISee

You would think that the Pro could manage 60 fps... smh

The gpu is actually quiet powerful and definitely strong enough for 1080p/60 with some reduced settings (= not pc ultra settings). The CPU may be the problem here. Granted it is overclocked but still pretty weak, especially when compared to pc desktop cpus. I remember reading that people with older i5s like the 2500k had problems with holding 60fps (some drops to the 50s) on PC when ds3 came out. And an i5 2500k is way faster and more potent then what we have in the pro, so i'm not that surprised tbh.

EmiPrime

45-60fps.

That Platinum Games feel.

IMO this is far preferable to 30fps with frame pacing issues, not perfect but a good improvement. The overreaction here is puzzling.

Fbh

If it averages at 50fps it doesn't sound that bad. Sounds like something like Bayonetta 2 which I still found smoother than a 30 fps.

Still, they need to give an option to lock it at 30fps. And given the nature of the pro I think the preferable option would have been to lock it at 30fps, improve the IQ and finally fix the framepacing issues.

Every time one of these come up I wonder why they don't just make an additional option for people to toggle between a locked 30fps or unlocked. Too much work?

Bullshit. There are games that look better than DS3 that run at 60fps. Sensible people know that FROM are lazy when it comes to technical aspects of their games.

it certainly can be done.............if FROM's engine supported dynamic resolution like IDtech6 ala Doom........but FROM's apparently not as technically competent as we hoped.

whew, FromSoftware...

Yep, Final Fantasy XV and Dark Souls III are both quite unfortunate on PS4 Pro right now. Consistency is key -- I'd prefer visual enhancements, even just an upres, locked at 30fps with minimal or no framepacing issues over all of this.

In my eyes, this is my performance profile preferences from most preferred to least preferred:

120/144fps hard locked @ native display refresh rate
60+fps uncapped with Gsync/Freesync
60fps locked+v-sync, no/minimal framepacing issues
30fps locked+v-sync, no/minimal framepacing issues
uncapped running at < 60fps

... I hate uncapped framerate. It is literally just uneven framepacing all over the damn place and radically shifting all the time. I just want the timing and response of the game to feel consistent and predictable, and I feel like framepacing is the absolute bane of achieving that.

Planet

So variable framerate around 45fps and STILL with frame pacing issues?
Variable framerate is frame pacing issues by definition. But some talented devs managed to combine a steady 30 FPS with frame pacing issues - that's like cooking an absolutely delicious meal then spicing it with a few bogeys. Many won't even notice, but others feel the urge to spew...

Donos

So DSIII has also framepacing? Still have to finish DSII Def. Edition. Have plat trophy for DeS, DaS and BB but don't know i want that for DSII. Haven't played it for over half a year.

Can't really compare as I haven't touched the game for almost a year but the light armor dodging feels like slo mo coming from Horizon. Still excited for both dlc's.

ManeKast

Just ran a few areas, played a lot of DS3. It is a major improvement and feels great. Even when it dips it's never jarring. Majjor thumbs up here.

Top Bottom