• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC Podcast]: Avowed and HBII nearest after Starfield, Fable recently went into full production, Perfect Dark and Everwild "not close"

Three

Perfect Dark and Fable were my most anticipated Xbox games going into this generation since they're actual IPs with an Xbox identity.

Sad they're still years off despite being announced like 2-3 years ago?
When you realize that besides Avowed all these projects were announced before the announcement of Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, Horizon 2, R&C Drift Apart, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls R, GT7 etc....

"We are investing in new things, we signed things just recently that I thought, ‘Hey, from a PR standpoint it would be really easy for me to put a trailer on screen’, but then I know the game is not coming for another two and half or three years, so I didn’t want to do that." - Phil Spencer

I guess he changed his mind

ByWatterson

war-dogs-war-dogs-movie.gif

FBeeEye

Banned
Sincerely feel for Xbox gamers. Still waiting for X to give it to them.

pmUcUmL.jpg
MS believes in generations.

Building games from the ground up takes time. It was a calculated risk to drop cross Gen cold turkey, but it will pay off in the long run. Once these new games spin up, they each can generate a fast-follow sequel using the same tech.

The Xbox One was a shit show first party-wise and sadly Xbox owners are still paying for it. Then the pandemic added insult to injury.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Building games from the ground up takes time. It was a calculated risk to drop cross Gen cold turkey, but it will pay off in the long run. Once these new games spin up, they each can generate a fast-follow sequel using the same tech.

The Xbox One was a shit show first party-wise and sadly Xbox owners are still paying for it. Then the pandemic added insult to injury.
Yep it's paying off greatly, 3 years into the gen and they barely have anything and if they had not bought a major publisher they would have barely anything for this year.I still don't see the benefits nor the incentive for Xbox gamers , they should be doing way better even moreso with all that talk since the reveal of the console.

Astray

I hope most of those things are quality single player fare, really want to put my Xbox through it's paces..

quest

Not Banned from OT

Na its about putting unrealistic timelines on xbox teams to cry about studio mismanagement. But leave out other studios like bend released games 6 months before the outer worlds but not a peep. They won't say anything if the last of us 3 and Ghost of tsushima 2 are not released early next year. They released games about 8 months after the outer worlds. If avowed is years late Ghost of tsushima 2 and the last of 3 are late.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Na its about putting unrealistic timelines on xbox teams to cry about studio mismanagement. But leave out other studios like bend released games 6 months before the outer worlds but not a peep. They won't say anything if the last of us 3 and Ghost of tsushima 2 are not released early next year. They released games about 8 months after the outer worlds. If avowed is years late Ghost of tsushima 2 and the last of 3 are late.

The difference is these MS projects are not just late, they are massively late after their announcements, with very little to no progress being shown publicly, and it is really hurting Microsoft’s cadence of releases.

Those other projects may get delayed, that’s somewhat normal, but they are still getting significant content released each year

ChiefDada

Gold Member
For some reason I always thought Avowed would be the first one out, maybe even before Starfield.

Ah well. Would be a hoot if either that or HB2 are holiday 23' games.

This Is Fine GIF

Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

quest

Not Banned from OT
The difference is these MS projects are not just late, they are massively late after their announcements, with very little to no progress being shown publicly, and it is really hurting Microsoft’s cadence of releases.

Those other projects may get delayed, that’s somewhat normal, but they are still getting significant content released each year

So if avowed is massively late then sony is no better. We have bend who is even more massively late. ND who is late as is sucker punch. Blue point is starting to run late. That's what 4 miss managed studios using the same standards as Obsidian entertainment is getting. Lets not forget Obsidian entertainment has 2 more new ip releases than bend, ND, sucker punch since thier games combined.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So if avowed is massively late then sony is no better. We have bend who is even more massively late. ND who is late as is sucker punch. Blue point is starting to run late. That's what 4 miss managed studios using the same standards as Obsidian entertainment is getting. Lets not forget Obsidian entertainment has 2 more new ip releases than bend, ND, sucker punch since thier games.
In the last 10 years, Naughty Dog has released 4 new AAA games, all GOTY winners. The 5th one is expected this year or the next. So 5 AAA games in 11 years.

And that's late? 😄

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

This is why companies shouldn’t unveil games years before they are even in production and this goes for everyone in the industry. All it does is inevitably create disappointment and makes people question a companies competence. I mean we aren’t even getting screenshots, videos or even info for these exclusive games that were announced years ago. Something is going on.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I have a feeling Beyond Good and Evil 2 isn't close.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is why companies shouldn’t unveil games years before they are even in production and this goes for everyone in the industry. All it does is inevitably create disappointment and makes people question a companies competence. I mean we aren’t even getting screenshots, videos or even info for these exclusive games that were announced years ago. Something is going on.
"But it helps create an illusion that a lot of games are coming soon, which helps us sell consoles on the basis of mere promises, and makes us money!"

puss in boots cat eyes GIF

Sony devs making a PS4 game according to him.

I gotta use this one

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Yep! Said it and meant it, because it's true. And you know it's true as well (I know it's fun to pretend..but you have eyes and common sense).

Still waiting to see a 1st party title released that takes advantage of the PS5 (or the Series) hardware that can't be done on old hardware.

Hellblade 2 is the only thing we've seen thus far that is truly current gen. But that wasn't gameplay though, right? Must've been a cutscene, for sure. :)

So if avowed is massively late then sony is no better. We have bend who is even more massively late. ND who is late as is sucker punch. Blue point is starting to run late. That's what 4 miss managed studios using the same standards as Obsidian entertainment is getting. Lets not forget Obsidian entertainment has 2 more new ip releases than bend, ND, sucker punch since thier games combined.
Difference is. Sony has yet to announced a game at the advent of the ps5 launch that takes 4 years to show its face. Ms is the one that showed their hand way too early, way way too early in the case of hellblade 2 and everwild. Now they are flaundering.
So what if ND or Sucker Punch takes 5 years a game, at least sony is not desparate enough to official announced the titles they are working on prematurely.

Last edited:
Those games can take their time.

Hell blade 2 and avowed are a must this year.

Without Bethesda, Xbox is very dry in 2023, considering current 2023 games are from 2022 delays.
For me, Forza is the game that needs to come out and can't be pushed. It's 'for me' going to be the game that finally shows off the power of the XBox.
I also can't wait for Contraband and really hope that makes it out this year. Fable I get, but Perfect Dark and Everwild are to me taking the piss

j.k.2021

Banned
People here tend to overreact.They forget that Playground games had to build an entire new team from scratch and work on a genre they had no experience with.That's a big deal than some people realize.They tried to create a new studio for Perfect dark but it didn't work out so working with another studio will obviously take time.The only question mark here is Everwild.WTF is Rare doing?...They just had their most popular game Sea of thieves.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
It's pretty obvious that next games will be Avowed and Hellblade II and Fable was 2024 at best.You don't need analyst for that.

Poltz

What on earth is the XGS pipeline? games revealed in 2019/20 are nowhere near close?

Last edited:

pasterpl

Interesting to hear them talk about Microsoft going after Activision so that Activision can take over Xbox Games Studios and steer that part of the business in the right direction

It actually, sort of make sense. ABK being an independent publisher had to keep a tight ship managing multiple studios to make sure they are profitable. With XGS it seems that everyone got in the back of their head that they have got a massive trillion dollar company backing so can take it easy as a delay will not make the company to get in trouble financially.

pasterpl

What on earth is the XGS pipeline? games revealed in 2019/20 are nowhere near close?

I think the pipeline is not an issue, issue is when the games that still need years of development are being announced. They fixed that last year showing only games releasing in the next 12 months during their June show.

People here tend to overreact.They forget that Playground games had to build an entire new team from scratch and work on a genre they had no experience with.That's a big deal than some people realize.They tried to create a new studio for Perfect dark but it didn't work out so working with another studio will obviously take time.The only question mark here is Everwild.WTF is Rare doing?...They just had their most popular game Sea of thieves.
I agree with this statement. No offens to anyone here really, but people have no clue how complicated game development is. Especially when new studios that never existed before have to make a completely new high budget title.

They also bought all of these studios and crated them right before covid happened. Not only does it take a long time to get everything in order for the fresh studios, but covid set back the entire industry years.

Oh and no, don't give me the "but Sony released God of War Ragnarok/Horizon) sequels. These studios were already making these games right after the original ones launched. Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla Games have also been around for decades and don't need any management help. Both of those titles are also cross gen.

Meanwhile, Perfect Dark and Fable for example are purely next gen titles. One studio also never made action rpg games. And the other is a completely fresh studio that never existed.

Ninja Theory were also independent and were almost bankrupt until Microsoft bought them. It's the first time for them were now they are under a new management and essentially unlimited budget.

Again, people have no clue how any of this works. They just make assumptions and think without logic. Just my 2 cents. Yes, it sucks waiting, but it what it is and no thanks but I rather wait then have a repeat of Cyberpunk 2077.

Besides, 2023 is already off to a great start with so many amazing games to play. These games will be here before you know it simply because time flies. Enjoy gaming and savor as much as you can, were not getting any younger. Just enjoy your life.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree with this statement. No offens to anyone here really, but people have no clue how complicated game development is. Especially when new studios that never existed before have to make a completely new high budget title.

They also bought all of these studios and crated them right before covid happened. Not only does it take a long time to get everything in order for the fresh studios, but covid set back the entire industry years.

Oh and no, don't give me the "but Sony released God of War Ragnarok/Horizon) sequels. These studios were already making these games right after the original ones launched. Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla Games have also been around for decades and don't need any management help. Both of those titles are also cross gen.

Meanwhile, Perfect Dark and Fable for example are purely next gen titles. One studio also never made action rpg games. And the other is a completely fresh studio that never existed.

Ninja Theory were also independent and were almost bankrupt until Microsoft bought them. It's the first time for them were now they are under a new management and essentially unlimited budget.

Again, people have no clue how any of this works. They just make assumptions and think without logic. Just my 2 cents. Yes, it sucks waiting, but it what it is and no thanks but I rather wait then have a repeat of Cyberpunk 2077.

Besides, 2023 is already off to a great start with so many amazing games to play. These games will be here before you know it simply because time flies. Enjoy gaming and savor as much as you can, were not getting any younger. Just enjoy your life.
So Perfect Dark and Fable should be excused because they were new teams?

But then what about Everwild (Rare), State of Decay 3 (Undead Labs), Avowed (Obsidian), Compulsion Games' new game, Coalition's next game? None of those were new studios and new teams.

Avowed, Perfect Dark and Fable were announced in 2020 lol

Definitely should see something on these games now but the pony dogpile is cringy.

Outerworlds 2 as well.
Forza Motorsport reboot was 2020 too. So was state Of Decay 3.
Shit, Redfall was announced 2021 (along with Contraband).
HiFi Rush shadowdropped.

Nevermind these trolls.
Their crown jewel TLOU2 came out 4 years after it was announced (with its multiplayer mode axed)..never heard a peep about it.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Yep! Said it and meant it, because it's true. And you know it's true as well (I know it's fun to pretend..but you have eyes and common sense).

Still waiting to see a 1st party title released that takes advantage of the PS5 (or the Series) hardware that can't be done on old hardware.

Hellblade 2 is the only thing we've seen thus far that is truly current gen. But that wasn't gameplay though, right? Must've been a cutscene, for sure. :)
What does that has to do with what he said?
He said that Sony announced and released games after those MS games were announced, and you answer that they are basically ps4 games?

Crossgen games have shorter development times because magic? Or the weather conditions?

Dr. Suchong

Microsoft should release some sort of "Extra thumbs" peripheral, because I'm running out of ones to twiddle.
Also, oxygen tanks because I'm almost hyperventilating from the constant sighing.

pasterpl

In the last 10 years, Naughty Dog has released 4 new AAA games, all GOTY winners. The 5th one is expected this year or the next. So 5 AAA games in 11 years.

And that's late? 😄

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Playground released 5 Forza Horizon games in the past 10 years (game every 2 years), we have got 5 gears of war game in the last 16 years (game every approx 3 years), both critically acclaimed series with multiple awards.

Sony Santa Monica took sweet 8 years between God Of War 3 and God Of War 2018. Polyphony is notorious for taking 5-7 years to develop the next GT game and next instalment is never revolutionary, Sucker punch took 6 years to release Ghosts of Tsushima after their last game etc. based on this should we say that Sony cannot manage their studios?

Top Bottom