• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC Podcast]: Avowed and HBII nearest after Starfield, Fable recently went into full production, Perfect Dark and Everwild "not close"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Seems reliable....

A few people have been saying that though
Data Nevermind GIF by A1 Slovenija

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree with this statement. No offens to anyone here really, but people have no clue how complicated game development is. Especially when new studios that never existed before have to make a completely new high budget title.

They also bought all of these studios and crated them right before covid happened. Not only does it take a long time to get everything in order for the fresh studios, but covid set back the entire industry years.

Oh and no, don't give me the "but Sony released God of War Ragnarok/Horizon) sequels. These studios were already making these games right after the original ones launched. Sony Santa Monica and Guerilla Games have also been around for decades and don't need any management help. Both of those titles are also cross gen.

Meanwhile, Perfect Dark and Fable for example are purely next gen titles. One studio also never made action rpg games. And the other is a completely fresh studio that never existed.

Ninja Theory were also independent and were almost bankrupt until Microsoft bought them. It's the first time for them were now they are under a new management and essentially unlimited budget.

Again, people have no clue how any of this works. They just make assumptions and think without logic. Just my 2 cents. Yes, it sucks waiting, but it what it is and no thanks but I rather wait then have a repeat of Cyberpunk 2077.

Besides, 2023 is already off to a great start with so many amazing games to play. These games will be here before you know it simply because time flies. Enjoy gaming and savor as much as you can, were not getting any younger. Just enjoy your life.
I think most people here understand this, but the question is why MS deserves any slack or benefit of the doubt when they’re charging people $500 for a console just like the other guys are.

Hellblade 2 was announced in 2019. 2019! Before Ragnarok even. They announced Everwild then said “well we need to figure out what the game is still.” They announced Perfect Dark with a new AAAA team and then said no wait we need Crystal Dynamics to make it for us lmao.

This is just horrible amateur hour shit regardless of the circumstances.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think most people here understand this, but the question is why MS deserves any slack or benefit of the doubt when they’re charging people $500 for a console just like the other guys are.

Hellblade 2 was announced in 2019. 2019! Before Ragnarok even. They announced Everwild then said “well we need to figure out what the game is still.” They announced Perfect Dark with a new AAAA team and then said no wait we need Crystal Dynamics to make it for us lmao.

You make a good point about Hellblade 2: Ragnarok and Hellblade 2 are both sequels.

Its funny when some of us brought up the release comparisons it seemed to get dismissed "but Forbidden West and Ragnarok got delayed!"

Yeah...and they also both launched already.

This doesnt even factor in the PS4 games that Sony launched in early 2020...before the PS5 even launched.

Last edited:

If hell blade 2 comes out next year it would be about a 5 year development cycle. That isn’t too bad for a AAA game. Especially done by a smaller studio.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Sony warriors on GAF: well thanks to GamePass, MS is going to just start churning out crap episodic games! they’re buying all these studios to flood GamePass with rushed trash!

Also Sony warriors on GAF: LOL why are all these Xbox games taking years to make??? lurn to make games

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Fable was a revelation for Xbox and perfect dark was a competent shooter franchise. They should give you 1 or 2 of those games a gen. Why didn’t they have fable or perfect dark on Xbox one? Xbox series s? Some say it’s a Zelda wannabe but it could be a cornerstone franchise for Microsoft.

He is the same guy who said that Starfield presentation will be announced this week and MS will sell Xbox if Activision deal will fail.
Sell Xbox? Why would MS sell Xbox after buying up a bunch of studios/publishers just because a deal won't be going through? He must be on some console war fanboy copuim lol... so reliable right...

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Sony warriors on GAF: well thanks to GamePass, MS is going to just start churning out crap episodic games! they’re buying all these studios to flood GamePass with rushed trash!

Also Sony warriors on GAF: LOL why are all these Xbox games taking years to make??? lurn to make games

"I'll take non-sequitur for $1,000, Alex"

vj27

Banned
Tbh all I care about is state of decay that’s what I really want to know about. Played the SHIT out of the first 2, and yes I kept Marcus alive through both games. Legit restarted my save whenever he would die lol.

But damn so when y’all think we’re seeing fable? 24/25? My guess is spring 25. I can see them spacing avowed and hell blade 2 for the ending of 23 and the beginning/middle of 24. I know people are screaming mismanagement and tbh you could be right, but I don’t think it’s going to be desolate years like 22 like how some are claiming.

We still got Indiana jones, whatever ID softwares been cooking up, we still don’t know what/when the coalition will drop gears 6 (these guys are like insomniac btw out of all the MS devs they get there games out in pretty good time frame), contraband, etc etc. tbh they have so many studios that I would be genuinely shocked if there’s another year like 22.

Also fuck hellblade I want ninja theory to make a new enslaved.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Starts at the 15 minute mark.

Andy says Fable is "miles away" and Jordan Miller says the term "Witcher-like" was thrown around a lot for Fable.

This all tracks with most of what we know. Avowed has been radio silent because it had some big team shake ups, which supposedly got it out of development hell. So it makes sense we should be seeing something soon, though I still think 2023 might be a stretch. Hellblade II wouldn't shock me for a winter release though.

The "limited integration" studios seem to be by far MS's most productive, compared to The Initiative or 343 or any of the other fully MS-run studios. I have no faith in Perfect Dark or Fable.

Corndog

Banned
The problem isn't the timeline, but the production issues.
MS/Xbox clearly have problems with their studios.
State of decay 3, project dark and everwild. That is a lot of games that have a production issues.

what the hell is Phil doing? Same thing for Matt booty?

I wish I can get an easy job like that.
Management problems for sure. Maybe some higher ups need replacing.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Doesn't sound like Fable "just" went into full production.

Speaking at PAX West 2022, Booty said that Playground is doing so many cool things with the next generation Fable game that he asks them to share it every time he sees it:

"Part of my job is giving air cover to the team," he explained. "They don't want to show stuff early before it's ready to go, but if there's one game where that's kind of flipped around, where every time I see something I say, 'We should show this', it's Fable. Because there's a lot of cool stuff."

That being said, "the team has made it very clear that I am not going to be able to show anything until it's ready," Booty laughed.

SF Kosmo

The problem isn't the timeline, but the production issues.
MS/Xbox clearly have problems with their studios.
State of decay 3, project dark and everwild. That is a lot of games that have a production issues.

what the hell is Phil doing? Same thing for Matt booty?

I wish I can get an easy job like that.
I'm guessing too much control and not enough supervision. MS needs to put some strong leadership in charge of their internal studios and then give them the latitude to actually run them.

MS already does this with studios like Playground, Obsidian, Double Fine, and Ninja Theory; devs they purchased which had their own leadership and work culture established. But they haven't been able to do the same when it comes to their internal studios.

This is why the Bethesda deal was such a good play, because they kept the whole publishing and production arm, and didn't fully integrate them, and now they have all these studios working on content and they actually run well.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I'm guessing too much control and not enough supervision. MS needs to put some strong leadership in charge of their internal studios and then give them the latitude to actually run them.

MS already does this with studios like Playground, Obsidian, Double Fine, and Ninja Theory; devs they purchased which had their own leadership and work culture established. But they haven't been able to do the same when it comes to their internal studios.

This is why the Bethesda deal was such a good play, because they kept the whole publishing and production arm, and didn't fully integrate them, and now they have all these studios working on content and they actually run well.
I guess Xbox needs this guy back again for the business.
Don mattrick was a great guy, but messed up by MS meddling.

Last edited:
They still don't know whether Everwild is an rpg, a puzzle game, a racing game, a ponzi scheme, or a farming simulator.

They are probably looking back at that reveal trailer and wondering what they were trying to show the game as.

SF Kosmo

I guess Xbox needs this guy back again for the business.
Don mattrick was a great guy, but messed up by MS meddling.
Yeah honestly if I was running Xbox, I would re-org those studios (The Intuitive, 343, The Coalition, Rare, etc) under the Bethesda division, let them figure it out.
Why we haven't seen gameplay of any of those games other than Starfield and hb2
The rumor was that Avowed wasn't really coming together, it was in a bit of development hell, so they changed a lot of the senior leadership on the project and did a major re-evaluation, almost a soft reboot, so that's why the project disappeared for a while. But it's likely we'll see it again at E3.

Last edited:

Beechos

an 'average & decent effort' that cost $160m? not really so sure that that's such a great example to choose (or a model worth emulating)...
It was just used as an example of how a game can be made within a certain period of time with high production values.. New ip, new dev studio it can be done. In the time it took these guys to release a game we havent even seen gameplay from some of these announced titles.

Last edited:
I really do expect a lot of Xbox management and publishing to go when the ABK deal concludes and beds in. Why duplicate those roles? And we know Kotick is sticking around. Hate the guy, but he’s a huge reason behind ABK’s success.
The portfolio management from the Xbox side has been terrible for a long long time.

Perrott

There's also Project Mara from Ninja Theory – a smaller game with a limited scope comparable to that of the P.T. demo from Silent Hills – which has been in development for three and a half years with absolutely no release date in sight.

Xbox Game Studios management is a shitshow.

Yeah honestly if I was running Xbox, I would re-org those studios (The Intuitive, 343, The Coalition, Rare, etc) under the Bethesda division, let them figure it out.

The rumor was that Avowed wasn't really coming together, it was in a bit of development hell, so they changed a lot of the senior leadership on the project and did a major re-evaluation, almost a soft reboot, so that's why the project disappeared for a while. But it's likely we'll see it again at E3.
I hope they stick to only showing games 12 months away. They need to stop showing their hands so soon. Also I'm curious as to what the smaller MS teams are up to like the we happy we few guys and double fine.

SF Kosmo

I hope they stick to only showing games 12 months away. They need to stop showing their hands so soon. Also I'm curious as to what the smaller MS teams are up to like the we happy we few guys and double fine.
Double Fine were staffing up for a AAA project so it might be a few years before we see their next big thing. I know they also had a couple smaller projects they put on ice to divert resources to Psychonauts, so it's possible we could see those soon, if they indeed brought them out of the cooler, but they are likely more smaller downloadable titles.

StereoVsn

When you realize that besides Avowed all these projects were announced before the announcement of Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, Horizon 2, R&C Drift Apart, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls R, GT7 etc....
Yep, it's kind of WTF at the whole situation. Yes, games take a long time to create now days, but most MS studios seem like having issues of some sort.

StereoVsn

I almost forgot about Avowed.

Pillars of Eternity universe is interesting, sort of.
Yes, but I do wish we could have gotten proper PoE3. I rather liked 2, and it's too bad we are only going to see once a gen releases for full fledged WRPG from the studio (talking big games).

Considering last years output, I kind of hoped in terms of the bigger budget stuff, there would be something this year that wasn’t what was delayed in 2022, something like Hellblade later this year would be great as I have no interest in what’s been confirmed so far such as Forza, Redfall and Starfield.

I also hope with the summer show they have , they start showing the likes of Fable and Contraband and they impress.

I don’t know how long this gen will last , there is games announced , at this rate, that’s will fill out the console release schedule before we get to newer stuff.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

How the fuck are these games not even close!? What are they doing over there!?
Live picture of an Xbox dev working on Perfect Dark as we speak.
r80lBkA.jpg

Seriously,I don't mind the waiting but "not even close" for some of these games after all this time is giving me flashbacks of the whole Beyond Good and Evil 2 bullshit and how they said it's "early in development" after like 10 years.

Top Bottom