• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

eso76

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think we should care about sales.

Some of the Xbox exclusives from last gen went the way of the dodo due to dwindling sales.

Remember Blinx? Brute force?

for PS3 and Vita I haven't had to care. Sony perhaps don't get the sales they'd like but from my view are still investing in interesting games. That makes me happy which is what I want mainly :)

Mr.Green

Prepare for disappointment.

I can't stand anything below 60fps on PC, but a stable 30fps on consoles isn't too bad because you're not sitting as close and more importantly, you're not moving the view as fast with a controller.

That's not to say I don't prefer 60fps anyway but you know, I'm setting my expectations. ;-)

I still believe more devs will push for 60fps though. Just not around launch.

daxgame

specs are disappointing in some fields to me and beyond expectations in some others. But I think I'll go with Orbis, thanks.

Oh I agree. But no sane dev will target 30FPS because it's fucking awful.
Devs will target 720p30 in favor of more eye-candy.

The commentary I've read, however, is that if the secret jizz isn't all it's cracked up to be and devs begin with a target of the lowest common multiplatform denominator (i.e. PS4's RAM amount, XBX3's processing power) it shouldn't take much for devs to take advantage of the PS4's additional bandwidth and processing power to up the frame-rate.

for PS3 and Vita I haven't had to care. Sony perhaps don't get the sales they'd like but from my view are still investing in interesting games. That makes me happy which is what I want mainly :)

I present to you: a gamer.

Something you should all aspire to next time you bring up sales or marketing wars.

stryke

I can't stand anything below 60fps on PC, but a stable 30fps on consoles isn't too bad because you're not sitting as close and more importantly, you're not moving the view as fast with a controller.

That's not to say I don't prefer 60fps anyway but you know, I'm setting my expectations. ;-)

I still believe more devs will push for 60fps though. Just not around launch.

My guess would be the other way around. Start off 60fps with decent looking games but as you go further into the generation, I suspect developers will want to push out more fancy effects and sacrifice framerate.

Prepare for disappointment.

People never prepare. The annual brands should be good for resolution/fps next year at least.
Everyone else will be looking to compete on visuals.

I personally actually want devs to target 30fps. Because fps is a problem I can solve by getting a more powerful PC. I will get 60FPS on PC for the same game. But if devs use lower res textures, bad shadow solution and lower quality assets etc, that is not a problem I can solve on PCs. So I would rather have them target 30FPS on consoles.

Heh. This is an incredibly good point.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I personally actually want devs to target 30fps. Because fps is a problem I can solve by getting a more powerful PC. I will get 60FPS on PC for the same game. But if devs use lower res textures, bad shadow solution and lower quality assets etc, that is not a problem I can solve on PCs. So I would rather have them target 30FPS on consoles.

Arnie

If Frostbite 2 isn't running at 60fps on Durango I'll fucking throw a wobbler.

Flicking between my brothers PC and my 360 when I'm home from Uni is torture. I'll take a hit in other areas to reach 60fps.

Leflus

specs are disappointing in some fields to me and beyond expectations in some others. But I think I'll go with Orbis, thanks.
It's a tempting thought to me as well. I don't want to play multiplatform games on the Durango if the Orbis versions have significantly better graphics.

Mr.Green

Devs will target 720p30 in favor of more eye-candy.

The commentary I've read, however, is that if the secret jizz isn't all it's cracked up to be and devs begin with a target of the lowest common multiplatform denominator (i.e. PS4's RAM amount, XBX3's processing power) it shouldn't take much for devs to take advantage of the PS4's additional bandwidth and processing power to up the frame-rate.

Can you imagine the meltdown if a multiplatform game would run at 60 on PS4 and 30 on X3?

Now imagine the other way around...

Hilarious times ahead!

You could have a billion times more power than PS4 and Durango will have and still target 30 fps. It doesn't matter how much power you have, you can always do better/more with half the framerate. Until a point where you hit diminishing returns, of course, but we are far from there.

Oh, diminishing returns haha. As in that juddery seizure inducing 30fps is GREAT and prettier graphics make the seizure better? I'm not following.

I think you will be surprised at how many devs are doing 60fps next gen.

If Frostbite 2 isn't running at 60fps on Durango I'll fucking throw a wobbler.

Flicking between my brothers PC and my 360 when I'm home from Uni is torture. I'll take a hit in other areas to reach 60fps.

Exactly man. I can't fucking handle it anymore. Seriously, I would love for anybody to start gaming on 60fps games with tons of AA and then come back to the consoles and act like everything is all fine and dandy.

meta4

Can you imagine the meltdown if a multiplatform game would run at 60 on PS4 and 30 on X3?

Now imagine the other way around...

Hilarious times ahead!

I really dont think its going to happen. Both machines are capable enough to run at 60.I dont see a situation where Orbis is locked at 60 and X3 is not.

What about that leaked Xbox roadmap document from last year? All the specs in the world won't really matter once everything goes to cloud gaming. Do you think it's possible MS is putting more into things like HDMI in and the more advanced Kinect, and less on pure hardware in order to give people just enough of a decent Next Gen experience to tide them over until they roll out cloud gaming?

Boss Man

Are there any other specs expected then those Eurogamer/DF specs?

Durango specs were based on those early rumored specs...
I don't think anything different is expected, maybe more details though. Plus, we're not totally sure that they won't be different. I think most people are expecting a little more info on what we already know, and at that point (with a couple of reliable sources saying the same thing in different words) we can be comfortable with what's inside of both Orbis and Durango.

It's exciting for confirmation + more info.

eso76

how long till someone contacts crytek or epic or third party developers asking for their impressions on what has been revealed ?

Since specs are out i would assume they are allowed to comment those numbers, right ?

Reiko

Banned
how long till someone contacts crytek or epic or third party developers asking for their impressions on what has been revealed ?

Since specs are out i would assume they are allowed to comment those numbers, right ?

Tiago from Crytek has a NDA bow & arrow pointed to his head.

Arnie

Exactly man. I can't fucking handle it anymore. Seriously, I would love for anybody to start gaming on 60fps games with tons of AA and then come back to the consoles and act like everything is all fine and dandy.

I don't really understand how this proposed card, which is by all accounts more powerful than the GTX 580 my brother uses (is that correct?), can't handle 60fps. My brother does, and he's running an insane image quality on high settings. Factor in that DICE can tune to an exact specification, and extract as much power out of that specific setup, and I'd be infuriated, bordering on boycott territory, if Battlefield 4's a launch title running at 30fps.

No excuse, really. The engine's capable.

The products haven't even been announced yet... you might want to wait for that before looking for developer comments.

i mean in a pc..
How would a radeon 1800xt run battlefield 3 to get things in perspective ?

It won't run it. It doesn't even meet the minimum requirement. If it were forced to run it i.e. somehow BF3 says "Fuck it. I don't care about minimum requirements", it'll run at settings way lower than console version. Enjoy the slideshow.

Arnie

The products haven't even been announced yet... you might want to wait for that before looking for developer comments.

Exactly.

A well known developer with close relations to Microsoft isn't going to publicly comment on unfinalised, leaked specifications. Privately, anonymously, however...

Reiko

Banned
I don't really understand how this proposed card, which is by all accounts more powerful than the GTX 580 my brother uses (is that correct?), can't handle 60fps. My brother does, and he's running an insane image quality on high settings. Factor in that DICE can tune to an exact specification, and extract as much power out of that specific setup, and I'd be infuriated, bordering on boycott territory, if Battlefield 4's a launch title running at 30fps.

No excuse, really. The engine's capable.

Has nothing to do with it. Yeah these consoles could target 60fps for last gen engines.
With new consoles come newer APIs and a higher graphical ceiling. On consoles you target 60fps or target 30fps for more visual fidelity.

PCs when you have power to afford it, takes 30fps games and brute forces them in a higher framerate.

Leflus

Exactly.

A well known developer with close relations to Microsoft isn't going to publicly comment on unfinalised, leaked specifications. Privately, anonymously, however...
Indeed. Didn't a Crytek dev get fired for mentioning a Durango event on Twitter a while back?

You and Microsoft don't see eye-to-eye.

This "secret sauce" stuff drives me nuts. Yes, AMD did have more engineers on the Microsoft project. Yes, the hardware in the Durango is more customized than Sony's. Yes both of their dev kits are more powerful than final hardware will be.

However, consider that even the Wii U had "secret sauce" (ARM core, DSP, etc) to offload certain tasks off the main hardware.

No secret sauce confirmed.

Just Wizard Jizz.

eso76

no, i don't want to wait :p

i thought it would be ok for them to give their pov on what's been leaked, since it's now public info anyway..
Of course i wouldn't expect them to hint these specs are missing something or wrong or anything, just give us their opinion on what we know, pretend this is final hardware and tell us what think they could achieve with it.

sangreal

it's depressing hearing people talk about a game that will be a year old in reference to what next-gen consoles might be able to do

Top Bottom