• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Not really the point. It was developed by Sony and then used later by 3rd party devs. This is the downside of a complicated architecture, devs don't want to get bogged down in tricks. Less dev time means more money.

In the case of MLAA, devs started using the lower IQ FXAA (developed by Nvidia).

I hope FXAA dies with this gen. No matter how much nvidia pushes it, it looks like crap.

I’ve enjoyed mostly lurking in these next-gen threads but what the hell…these last few pages.....it’s like I’m reading postings from 14 year old gamefaqs users. GAF I am disappoint. Maybe at 29 I’m just too old for this trivial shit, but making a ton of puns on ‘special sauce’ isn’t funny; it just makes the poster look like a sophomoric fool. llhere has already said what's needed to be said. Think I’m done with these threads until solid information comes out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gemüsepizza;46757229 said:
Should he...

a) ...break his NDA and take sides (what would he gain from that?).

b) ...not break his NDA and give a diplomatic, vague answer.

What would you do? They are obviously targeting the same people, thus they are in the "same ball park", but that doesn't mean there won't be differences for us graphic enthusiasts.

Oh come on.

I’ve enjoyed mostly lurking in these next-gen threads but what the hell…these last few pages.....it’s like I’m reading postings from 14 year old gamefaqs users. GAF I am disappoint. Maybe at 29 I’m just too old for this trivial shit, but making a ton of puns on ‘special sauce’ isn’t funny; it just makes the poster look like a sophomoric fool. llhere has already said what's needed to be said. Think I’m done with these threads until solid information comes out.

was better than the 5 pages of wii u analogies.

meta4

was better than the 5 pages of wii u analogies.

Oh come on. You must have atleast smiled after seeing this.

Orbis
tonystarejeml.gif

Durango
iUy7wSBjCWR7F.gif

WiiU
ibbzIHg775hDFU.gif

deanos

Banned
thank you.

sangreal

He doesn't post too too much on here. Every once and awhile he might post in a Uncharted or TLOU thread.

Tho the other members of Naughty Dog from what I can tell lurk gaf often. They even mention some of the threads here on twitter lol.

He was quite chatty here when he worked for (a PR firm for) Microsoft

Hopefully both companies are smart enough to know that just shooting for straight power is the absolute wrong way to do it. Power works for fanboys on forums(you can spot these people easily by their "Just read the rumors. X is more powerful than Y, lol I'm buying that one. We won") posts, but in the real world it's not the path to success.

It depends on what their adding as extras.
I don't see the point in all the additional Cable-esque features as I get them already.

Other social features interest me more as their specifically based around the console, community and games (although it does go beyond just that). Input methods are interesting too; which is why am excited for the new Playstation controller.

Shooting people down for discussing the specs is pretty silly when it can effect the final product.

coldfoot

Banned
MS better not be using all that RAM for DVR features that few people will actually use. Better to make a DVR addon like Sony's been doing since the PS2, as that's a niche feature not related to gaming, and could be easily sold as an addon that comes with its own cpu and memory, etc, since it's not going to affect anything on the gaming side.

Just want to add that an NDA can be written in a way that prevents you from indicating in anyway which system is more powerful.

These companies know that if word gets out before a system even launches that the competition will be "more powerful", that that kind of information can go viral and it can kill a system before it even launches.

For reference, this sort of happened to the Dreamcast. (not really, but you get the idea)

Point is, if somebody has information, they are not likely going to risk giving an indication one way or another.

Just want to add that an NDA can be written in a way that prevents you from indicating in anyway which system is more powerful.

These companies know that if word gets out before a system even launches that the competition will be "more powerful", that that kind of information can go viral and it can kill a system before it even launches.

For reference, this sort of happened to the Dreamcast. (not really, but you get the idea)

Point is, if somebody has information, they are not likely going to risk giving an indication one way or another.

NDA written this way would also prevent anyone from saying they are pretty equal.

Reallink

It depends on what their adding as extras.
I don't see the point in all the additional Cable-esque features as I get them already.

Other social features interest me more as their specifically based around the console, community and games (although it does go beyond just that). Input methods are interesting too; which is why am excited for the new Playstation controller.

Shooting people down for discussing the specs is pretty silly when it can effect the final product.

The best Cable-esque feature would be streaming any live TV or recording (from your OTA or Cable/Sat sub) to any phone/tablet, anywhere, on any connection (a la Slingbox 350/500). This would be a system selling feature, and is something most people don't get already.

deadlast

The best Cable-esque feature would be streaming any live TV or recordings (from your OTA or Cable/Sat sub) to any phone/tablet, anywhere, on any connection (a la Slingbox 350/500). This would be a system selling feature, and is something most people don't get already.

or for your cable company to lease you an Xbox 720

Reiko

Banned

That happened with the Xbox. And the PS2 did more than fine.

Proelite

The best Cable-esque feature would be streaming any live TV or recording (from your OTA or Cable/Sat sub) to any phone/tablet, anywhere, on any connection (a la Slingbox 350/500). This would be a system selling feature, and is something most people don't get already.

I don't think cable companies would be happy with that.

Pug

I really can't see why anyone would question ERP. Yeah he works at Sony but I have no doubts he has cross referenced the spec of each machine. In the main he's been very defensive about Durango giving examples of where it's advantages could be. Further I don't understand why posters are not pleasant surprised that one of the aims of data move could lead to a cache miss dropping from 300+ GPU cycles to 10-20. As ERP put it hiding 10-20 cycles is easy compared to 300. That type of efficiency seems very impressive to me.

Reallink

I don't think cable companies would be happy with that.

Yea that's the only problem. Consoles are so visible, cable co's and studio's would be suing down the doors for their portions of the proceeds unless it was something MS or Sony could get widespread approval for beforehand--likely by passing it off as a cord-cutting and piracy countermeasure and driver of new subs (all of which is true).

Proelite

I really can't see why anyone would question ERP. Yeah he works at Sony but I have no doubts he has cross referenced the spec of each machine. In the main he's been very defensive about Durango giving examples of where it's advantages could be. Further I don't understand why posters are not pleasant surprised that one of the aims of data move could lead to a cache miss dropping from 300+ GPU cycles to 10-20. As ERP put it hiding 10-20 cycles is easy compared to 300. That type of efficiency seems very impressive to me.

I think ERP used to work at MS, maybe he is still harboring some old flames.

nordique

I am hoping MS will include backwards compat with retail 360 games, and not just XBLA

Given the specs, I am not sure how this will be achieved however, short of including 360 hardware in the system,

Unless someone knowledgable could explain how 360 titles could be emulated - would be appreciated :)

Jadedx

Banned
I am hoping MS will include backwards compat with retail 360 games, and not just XBLA

Given the specs, I am not sure how this will be achieved however, short of including 360 hardware in the system,

Unless someone knowledgable could explain how 360 titles could be emulated - would be appreciated :)

Karak says it's full hardware bc. The leaked roadmap says that as well.

pr0cs

can't see how XBLA titles would be compatible and not retail titles.
It's either 100% compatible or not at all.

or sort of a hybrid where it was pseudo-emulated like the XBOX->360, which is still better than no emulation at all.

Violater

Well at this point I doubt we will get much more leaks.
The Ninja's should be on high alert by now.
Time for software leaks I say.

Mrbob

I understand that BC can be a nice feature but not sure why it is so important. If it didn't have BC I would just keep my 360 plugged in too.

Or is there another reason people want BC so bad?

Space and convenience basically. I'd rather have one device which works for both platforms. Also, my entertainment center only has so much room.

Jadedx

Banned
Well at this point I doubt we will get much more leaks.
The Ninja's should be on high alert by now.
Time for software leaks I say.

I want to see what MS' teams have been working on. Most of the teams have been idle for 2+ years. I also want to know more about the new studios, hell a name for some of them would be great

pr0cs

1) need yet another machine plugged in, to the wall, to the TV, to your receiver
2) what happens when your old machine dies, you just throw away all the DD software you bought? They're not going to make 360s forever
3) all your software in one place (as opposed to spread across 2 machines even if they're on the same network platform)
4) benefits of running on the new system, clearer, faster loading, free anti-aliasing, additional network support (streaming, video capture, etc, etc)
5) carry-over until the new system software catalog ramps up. the lag between releases for the 360 was extremely painful, I used the gutted version of BC for the 360 to entertain myself between releases.

there are a lot of reasons to want everything to be BC

Yeah. Am from the UK where the internet-TV services seem pretty strong (basically BBC iplayer dragged them along); but am never sure how good it is elsewhere.

Still. I think if this was as achievable as some think then I'd be able to do it with my Cable Provider already...who is also my Internet provider. Who you'd expect to be able to create the system more than someone just making a box.

Much better would be to download on home wireless to your phone/tablet and then be able to look at the content outside the home.

We'll see what comes, am not too excited for any of it though. I just don't see what MS can bring to the market no one else can.

Mascot

At this point i'm going to be disappointed if one of these two don't include a bottle of secret sauce with every console as a joke.

"Durango Premium Edition with Secret Sauce!"

A bottle of secret sauce? Unlikely.

A Kleenex smudged with wizard jizz? Plausible.

nordique

Karak says it's full hardware bc. The leaked roadmap says that as well.

Ah, thank you :)

Great news if true/turns out to be true.

I understand that BC can be a nice feature but not sure why it is so important. If it didn't have BC I would just keep my 360 plugged in too.

Because I don't want 5 consoles connected to my TV.

^ Exactly this

Top Bottom