• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks - Orbis GPU Detailed - compute, queues and pipelines

scently

Gemüsepizza;48338598 said:
What should I prove? I just said, that I don't believe such comments, when they are clearly in conflict with leaked / official specs. I think if someone has to prove something, it should be the people claiming there won't be any big differences, despite those specs.

Sigh. Well I am tired. We shall see when they start showing games. The upcoming MS Conference and e3 should be a good indication of what things are going to be.

But the mandate is a real thing, and if there's a good chance the PS4 versions are considerably better than the 720's you can bet your ass Microsoft will wave that bat in a threatening fashion.

His point is valid. It's a very sly tactic that would prevent any multiplat dev from making the most of the PS4, effectively eliminating any technical advantage.

I really hope this isn't the case. If I am following this line of thought correctly, you guys are saying multi-plats will flat out ignore the possible ps4 advantage.....

Mario007

I really hope this isn't the case. If I am following this line of thought correctly, you guys are saying multi-plats will flat out ignore the possible ps4 advantage.....
Sure didn't stop FFXIII or LA Noire looking better on the PS3, FFXIII considerably so in fact.

There is no sugar coating there. The durango is 33% less gpu FLOPS, 50% less ROP, and 33% less TMU. According to bgassasin, the durango has twice the cpu FLOPS of the ps4. The ps4 will need to be at least 100% more powerful than the durango in raw specs to have a notable advantage. It will need to be at least 100% more powerful in other to render at twice the framerate eg 30fps vs 60 fps, that isn't going to happen. It will need to be more than 125% more powerful with the bandwidth to boot in other to render at more than twice the resolution eg 720p vs 1080p, that isn't going to happen either. What will probably happen is some effects might run at higher precision on ps4 than on durango or it might be missing from the durango build, or the ps4 might have a more steady framerate, or the durango might have a slightly lower resolution etc. Things like that. And this are all based on theoritical performance/specs.

I thought everyone keeps saying the cpu performance isn't that "big" of a deal anymore. So if that's the case, who cares if the cpu on Durango is twice as powerful? I thought it was all about the gpu this generation with (I hate using it) GPGPU and such...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You're saying 4 times that amount? That is literally impossible to do.
I was just doing a hypothetical, but your reply has shown that it's not feasible and not even worth discussing.
I'm just curious how these things work.

In a closed environment like the PS4 in combination with the low level native openGL support, Devs can optimize their rendering and memory management without any overhead. (I doubt multiplats will make 100% use of this potential)

Thanks for answering me. I'm aware that closed platforms can optimize for the one technical spec that all consoles share.

I was specifically interested in the ability of the CPU<->GDDR5<->GPU bandwidth and what kind of impact it would have on games.

I'm raising this question because the lack of the PCI-E bus could be a big benefit of Orbis compared to my own PC and I want to understand if I'm wrong for believing that. Not just reaching the GDDR5 parity which has been a standard in PC graphics cards for a long time.

Gorgon

Doesn't matter how strong ps4 is. Xbox makes it a prerequisite to release game at the same quality for both platforms otherwise they won't let studios publish their games on the system. It doesn't matter if durango does 30 fps and orbis can do 240 fps (lol pachter). They will come out the same to the naked eye.

Lol

Jburton

Banned
Doesn't matter how strong ps4 is. Xbox makes it a prerequisite to release game at the same quality for both platforms otherwise they won't let studios publish their games on the system. It doesn't matter if durango does 30 fps and orbis can do 240 fps (lol pachter). They will come out the same to the naked eye.

Some people talk utter fucking nonsense.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Yes, this is what worries me the most. The only slight difference here is that 1st party devs are going to stretch that gap even wider and I doubt that 3rd party devs are going to like that. Some devs will think 'to hell with it' and actually code PS4 to the metal this time around. But that is entirely down to how well the PS4 does out of the gate IMO... it is worrisome though.

Can you imagine Microsoft saying no to EA (or any other major publisher) because one of their internal teams has a few extra wizz-bangs on the PS4 version of a multiplat? Not a chance.

Indie's and smaller publishers are easier to bully though.

BibiMaghoo

Can you imagine Microsoft saying no to EA (or any other major publisher) because one of their internal teams has a few extra wizz-bangs on the PS4 version of a multiplat? Not a chance.

My thoughts aswell.

MS and Sony NEED publishers, otherwise they have no product. They have a console without software. MS would not turn away games from third parties (which they rely on more than Sony) over a few graphical differences.

antic604

Banned
Yes, this is what worries me the most. The only slight difference here is that 1st party devs are going to stretch that gap even wider and I doubt that 3rd party devs are going to like that. Some devs will think 'to hell with it' and actually code PS4 to the metal this time around. But that is entirely down to how well the PS4 does out of the gate IMO... it is worrisome though.

Well, since from architectural point of view PS4, Durango and PC are much closer to each other than they've ever been, I'm hoping that this time around multi-plat engines will be easily adjusted to specs of host platform and just like you can twaek various effects / quality in PC games, devs will be able to do the same between PS4 and Durango.

JJD

His info is real. It's not confirmed until Microsoft announces it publicly. It's semantics really.

This is interesting.

What made you change your ming Reiko?

Going from past threads you were always pretty skeptic on most Durango leaks until now. Including leaks from GAF insiders that suggested that the Durango's specs were a little bit lower than Orbis.

I'm asking this because while I know that the probability is really low I was still hoping for some bump in performance besides clock speeds and DDR3 RAM amount.

Anyone care to prove that ms has that policy? This is also a new gen, so they could always change their terms and remove that stipulation if true.

If they do indeed require it then it doesn't striae me that ms is doing something anti-developer.

scently

I thought everyone keeps saying the cpu performance isn't that "big" of a deal anymore. So if that's the case, who cares if the cpu on Durango is twice as powerful? I thought it was all about the gpu this generation with (I hate using it) GPGPU and such...

Well MS and AMD engineers care enough to do so. I am sure they are not dumb. I can even speculate on why they are increasing the cpu performance but I would rather not because you can as well say who cares after I state it so why bother.....

Raistlin

While I haven't seen the document in question, there seems to be a lot of confusion here regarding what 'efficiency' typically refers to in this context.

It doesn't mean what you think.

Mandates are real, but that particular one isn't really true.

Even though it's old, you can read MS's 2009 TCR for 360 here (Google webcache)

In the beginning there WAS a mandate that all 360 games had to be 720p 4xMSAA. MS dropped it to keep visual parity between PS3/360.

That poster got it wrong, it's content, not quality. But still not far-fetched.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112562-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available. If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Sigh. Well I am tired. We shall see when they start showing games. The upcoming MS Conference and e3 should be a good indication of what things are going to be.

Erm.. you ARE claiming otherwise. We have specs released for PS4, and rumored ones for Durango, which are undoubtedly worse. Unless you know otherwise, you can't claim "we don't know that." The burden of proof is on you.

Gemüsepizza;48338052 said:
The comment from llhere was probably just him being diplomatic / or he couldn't really say anything because of a NDA. Afaik he isn't even a graphics programmer. The specs tell a completely different story. And the EDGE article was afair very vague regarding a difference in graphic fidelity/performance.

ERP, who works for Sony, has echoed Iherre's statements as recently as a week or so ago... and it's great you've also downplayed Iherre's opinion so even if he wan't being "diplomatic", his opinions now don't count anyway...classy. The real-world difference has been put at around 20-30%, which puts both consoles well within the same ballpark in terms of visual fidelity.

And I say the above things without any intention of buying the next Xbox and completely concede the PS4 is more powerful.

You believe this? Oh boy.

Which part the 720p 4xMSAA? Absolutely, I have a friend who worked for Ruffian (now works for Cisco) for about 9 months and talked about it. In the beginning the mandate was very real, but just as quickly most development companies ignored it, because there was too much of a visual sacrifice to reach such a target with first parties complaining about it MS allowed developers to ignore it and eventually removed it's entry from TCR. The reduction in visual fidelity to reach 720p with 4xMSAA would most definitely put a 360 game at odds visually with the equivalent PS3 game with no such mandate. And it didn't help that UE3 didn't even fully support MSAA.

Biggzy

Which part the 720p 4xMSAA? Absolutely, I have a friend who worked for Ruffian (now works for Cisco) for about 9 months and talked about it. In the beginning the mandate was very real, but just as quickly most development companies ignored it, because there was too much of a visual sacrifice to reach such a target. The reduction in visual fidelity to reach 720p with 4xMSAA would most definitely put a 360 game at odds visually with a PS3 games.

More likely they dropped it because, as you say, developers were ignoring it; heck even first party studios were ignoring it. It was a stupid mandate anyway because the EDRAM just wasn't big enough to fit in that frame buffer, not without tilling anyway.

More likely they dropped it because, as you say, developers were ignoring it; heck even first party studios were ignoring it. It was a stupid mandate anyway because the EDRAM just wasn't big enough to fit in that frame buffer, not without tilling anyway.

Most definitely, but I'd imagine if they strictly enforced it, they would have dropped it anyway. Not screams inferior like your verison of X game running at 720p, but having less effects present. Because let's face it the average gamer doesn't notice the difference between 720p native and upscaled (as this generation has painfully proven). And I definitely agree it was a stupid mandate, MS convinced themselves that developers would tile and everything would be fine (minus the fact that tiling incurs a performance hit).

Well MS and AMD engineers care enough to do so. I am sure they are not dumb. I can even speculate on why they are increasing the cpu performance but I would rather not because you can as well say who cares after I state it so why bother.....

The CPU's are the same.

It's strange how this CPU rumour is not in a single leak. Anywhere.

But because one guy posted that the Durango has 'increased performance' (he didn't even state increased performance compared to PS4 btw), you are convinced the Durango CPU is twice as powerful?

Come on.

Biggzy

Most definitely, but I'd imagine if they strictly enforced it, they would have dropped it anyway. Not screams inferior like your verison of X game running at 720p, but having less effects present. Because let's face it the average gamer doesn't notice the difference between 720p native and upscaled (as this generation has painfully proven).

The worst one is Battlefield 3, as it doesn't even fill up my screen lol. The number of people I have shown that too is really funny; they had no idea about it. Well, let us hope that Microsoft have thought the ESRAM a little better this time.

JJD

I'm not saying this is going to happen, because the difference between the PS4 and 720 won't be that big.

But imagine if BF4 PS4 runs at 60FPS while on Durango it runs at only 30FPS.

That kind of difference would be prejudicial not only to MS but to EA/Dice as well since there would be a considerable difference between both versions.

It would create direct problems for everyone, except Sony. And even Sony would still be affected indirectly.

That is why most publishers are hoping for a minimum difference in performance.

As thruway said times and times again the difference won't be that big.

If the Durango was not comparable to the PS4 it would be better (from a publisher point of view) if it was closer to the WiiU than if it was on category between both of then.

A clear, three tiered generation would be a nightmare for everyone. PS4 >>> Durango >>> WiiU.

Game development would suffer.

This is why the WiiU is going to suffer, because it is on a different tier than the PS4 and Durango. If hardware makers introduced yet another intermediary tier things would be even worse.

wasnt saying it in a negative way man. Just reiterating what I've read.

Gemüsepizza;48338052 said:
The PS4 having 300% more ACEs, 100% more ROPs, 50% more CUs and 200+% of X3's memory bandwidth does sound like a pretty good reason to me.

The comment from llhere was probably just him being diplomatic / or he couldn't really say anything because of a NDA. Afaik he isn't even a graphics programmer. The specs tell a completely different story. And the EDGE article was afair very vague regarding a difference in graphic fidelity/performance.

The bandwidth for both consoles still have to be shared with game code, physics, animation, sound, etc. It's not a PC, which doesn't have to share its vram with other game code.

Klocker

anyone seriously expecting PS4 to have graphics noticeably better to most people's eye (as in wow that looks like a different level of graphics) are going to be SORELY mistaken this gen.

A few games here and there perhaps will highlight some strengths but I am certain MS designed this system to make up for the OMGGDDR5 and most games will be nearly indistinguishable again this gen

Crisis averted

anyone seriously expecting PS4 to have graphics noticeably better to most people's eye (as in wow that looks like a different level of graphics) are going to be SORELY mistaken this gen.

A few games here and there perhaps will highlight some strengths but I am certain MS designed this system to make up for the OMGGDDR5 and most games will be nearly indistinguishable again this gen

Crisis averted
Considering people claim they can't see the jump shown from PS3 to PS4 I'm inclined to believe you. Still doesn't mean the difference isn't there.

My thoughts aswell.

MS and Sony NEED publishers, otherwise they have no product. They have a console without software. MS would not turn away games from third parties (which they rely on more than Sony) over a few graphical differences.

I question how real that mandate is BUT if it came to that you'd have the publishers and MS both bluffing with everything to lose. The publisher may not be able to make back their money if they lose half the users of a multiplatform game and MS may not have a platform if publishers bailed on them.

Biggzy

Crisis averted

Of course Microsoft has designed the console to mitigate the lack of bandwidth that DDR3 brings. The question is whether it is enough?

beast786

Crisis averted

But they weren't.

Respawn

Banned
I'm not saying this is going to happen, because the difference between the PS4 and 720 won't be that big.

But imagine if BF4 PS4 runs at 60FPS while on Durango it runs at only 30FPS.

That kind of difference would be prejudicial not only to MS but to EA/Dice as well since there would be a considerable difference between both versions.

It would create direct problems for everyone, except Sony. And even Sony would still be affected indirectly.

That is why most publishers are hoping for a minimum difference in performance.

As thruway said times and times again the difference won't be that big.

If the Durango was not comparable to the PS4 it would be better (from a publisher point of view) if it was closer to the WiiU than if it was on category between both of then.

A clear, three tiered generation would be a nightmare for everyone. PS4 >>> Durango >>> WiiU.

Game development would suffer.

This is why the WiiU is going to suffer, because it is on a different tier than the PS4 and Durango. If hardware makers introduced yet another intermediary tier things would be even worse.
People still seriously think this after all that we know now? Or?
Game development wont suffer! Headaches galore in some of these threads.

ypo

My goodness some of you are still swallowing that bitter pill? Just ram it down your throat already.

Of course Microsoft has designed the console to mitigate the lack of bandwidth that DDR3 brings. The question is whether it is enough?

Then you would have to assume Microsoft, even Nintendo for that matter didn't do the math.

AMD as well would have had to fail them both, technically and financially.

Binabik15

I predict it'll be like this gen, one version will have (worse) framerate drops and/or less resolution and/or missing effects. And in several cases people will notice and it will affect sales.

That poster got it wrong, it's content, not quality. But still not far-fetched.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112562-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds

And yet tons of games do have extra content on PS3. AC3 is one, a bunch of EA and Ubisoft games have exclusive content on PS3. MGR is a good recent example. MS isn't going to tell a publisher like Ubisoft, "You can't release your AAA game on our system, which we know is going to sell 5M copies."

I predict it'll be like this gen, one version will have (worse) framerate drops and/or less resolution and/or missing effects. And in several cases people will notice and it will affect sales.

I see it potentially being a bigger difference than this. With one console having twice the framerate, or one being 1080p vs 720p, with one having much better IQ and AF as well. The consoles are much more directly comparable now. It's apples to apples. Its going to be much easier to take advantage of these differences. PS4 is going to be very easy to develop for. Therefor it will take much less time and money from the budget to implement these differences. In the end this is all that really matters. Being a tester for Sony for two years, really opened my eyes to the development process and how everything is so affected by time and money.

edit: btw I would like to add, that saying there wont be any multiplatofrm differences, because MS wont allow it, is such utter BS, and people are really reaching with this argument. Its a new low. It really is nonsense IMO.

You think I don't know that? It has more influence over smaller devs than anything (which are a lot of potential devs...) but I was simply stating a fact.

Yet we don't really care about the differences in the smaller budget games. These games rarely push the graphical envelope. It's the big AAA big budgeted games that matter when talking about this issue. The Battlefield's, the Assassin Creeds, ect ect.

And yet tons of games do have extra content on PS3. AC3 is one, a bunch of EA and Ubisoft games have exclusive content on PS3. MGR is a good recent example. MS isn't going to tell a publisher like Ubisoft, "You can't release your AAA game on our system, which we know is going to sell 5M copies."

You think I don't know that? It has more influence over smaller devs than anything (which are a lot of potential devs...) but I was simply stating a fact.

onQ123

Crisis averted

if all the specs we have now is what's what's going to be in the final hardware this will be a way bigger difference than the PS3 & Xbox 360.

we are looking at

maybe 6 -7GB of ram for games vs maybe 5 - 6GB of ram for games,

176GB/s main ram bandwidth vs 68GB/s main ram bandwidth with 32MB of 100GB/s ESRAM

1.84 TFLOP GPU vs 1.2 TFLOP GPU.

100GFLOPs CPU that can be helped by a 1.8 TFLOP GPGPU that's enhanced for computing vs a rumored 200GLOPs CPU that might be helped by a 1.2TFLOP GPGPU.

PS4 is said to have less than 1 CPU core reserved for the OS & XBOX Next is said to have 2 CPU cores reserved for the OS so that's 12.5GFLOPS for the PS4 OS & 50GFLOPS for the Xbox Next OS.

this is all speculations from the info that we do have so nothing is set in stones but this look like a way bigger differences than PS3 & Xbox 360.

the only place where PS4 & Xbox Next are closer in specs than the PS3 & Xbox 360 is the fact that both will be using Blu-ray this time.

vs a rumored 200GLOPs CPU that might be helped by a 1.2TFLOP

WTF..where did that come from.?

200Gflops...I'm going to call Bullshit on that, not even the fastest, over-clocked desktop Intel CPU gets 200Gflops, and sure as hell no AMD based CPU is going to get anywhere near that.

if all the specs we have now is what's what's going to be in the final hardware this will be a way bigger difference than the PS3 & Xbox 360.

we are looking at

maybe 6 -7GB of ram for games vs maybe 5 - 6GB of ram for games,

176GB/s main ram bandwidth vs 68GB/s main ram bandwidth with 32MB of 100GB/s ESRAM

1.84 TFLOP GPU vs 1.2 TFLOP GPU.

100GFLOPs CPU that can be helped by a 1.8 TFLOP GPGPU that's enhanced for computing vs a rumored 200GLOPs CPU that might be helped by a 1.2TFLOP

PS4 is said to have less than 1 CPU core reserved for the OS & XBOX Next is said to have 2 CPU cores reserved for the OS so that's 12.5GFLOPS for the PS4 OS & 50GFLOPS for the Xbox Next OS.

this is all speculations from the info that we do have so nothing is set in stones but this look like a way bigger differences than PS3 & Xbox 360.

the only place where PS4 & Xbox Next are closer in specs than the PS3 & Xbox 360 is the fact that both will be using Blu-ray this time.

Yea I agree. Not to mention it even bigger because of how similar and comparable the architectures are. It's apples to apples now. I feel like this point can't be stressed enough.

I've been saying for a while now, that one of the main reasons the disparity for the consoles may pushed even farther apart, to the point where it's significant, is because of the OS overhead. The specs don't tell the full story. It may be a PS2 vs Xbox situation, instead of a GC vs Xbox situation, completely because of the OS overhead. The difference this time around may be the fact PS4 wont have such the small market share that Xbox had. If its its the same as this gen, almost 50/50, theres gonna be nothing stopping devs from taking advantage of the extra power in PS4.

This part is what really is still unconfirmed rumors at this point though, more than anything else at least. So it's pure speculation, but it is inline with MS vision for console. Which it being an entertainment system and not a gaming machine. Sony strategy is pretty obvious, their going for the core gamer. Tretton made that clear in that recent interview.

Top Bottom