• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vicarious Visions were initially behind Call of Duty for Vita

Zornica

Banned
Actually, compared to most PS3 ports the Call of Duty games perform spectacularly close to their 360 originals. Well, at least the IW ones anyway. As far back as COD4 that developer has been hailed for the quality of their PS3 ports.

As for the reason why they abandoned a straight Vita port of BLOPSII, only reason I can think up, as mentioned earlier in this thread, was the weak Vita launch.

According to this list the ps3 version of black ops II already renders at 880x720 (with resolution drops to 832x624 ? Oo). This is already close to the 960 × 544 of the vita screen.
So, if the metal gear solid hd collection runs at full 720p with 60 fps on ps3 and the vita port can't even do 480p with hickups, how much lower would the cod engine run?

/speculation end

At least the silver lining is that this game killed nihilistic.

Oh wait, that means no "legendary the box" on vita.......what a shame.

Takao

Banned
At least the silver lining is that this game killed nihilistic.

Oh wait, that means no "legendary the box" on vita.......what a shame.

Spark Unlimited made Legendary. They still function, and are working on Lost Planet 3, as well as Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.

Really a shame that they couldn't get the CoD engine working on Vita. That's a huge problem, and Sony should have made sure that the Vita was capable enough to handle modern gaming engines before releasing it.

This can prove to be a costly mistake if the power simply wasn't up to snuff enough.

A true CoD with PS3/Vita cross play would have been amazing.

Really a shame that they couldn't get the CoD engine working on Vita. That's a huge problem, and Sony should have made sure that the Vita was capable enough to handle modern gaming engines before releasing it.

This can prove to be a costly mistake if the power simply wasn't up to snuff enough.

I am not sure if you are trying to make a joke or not? It is all on the developer to make a game for the system. Nothing seems to be wrong with the game performance wise it seem, it looks like it lacks content and a bit of polish.

cyborg009

Banned

The Vita can they just couldn't do it.

Look at assassin's creed liberation and NFS:MW

fernoca

The Vita can they just couldn't do it.

Look at assassin's creed liberation and NFS:MW

Or Capcom's MT Framerwork (Mobile). Or Unreal Engine 3 and CryEngine (though there are no CryEngine games...yet). Mortal kombat used a modified UE3, and had a few sacrificed, but mostly related to the short development time and possibly lack of experience using the engine on the Vita (blocky/low res character models, it still looked nice).

I still wonder if there were other reasons as to why Vicarious Visions couldn't work things out. They're an extremely talented devloper and one can assume that since they're part of Activision they were allowed to use assets from existing CoD games... but seeing how Nihilistic had to make the game in less than 6 months, and had to use their own engine and had to recreate maps, as they weren't even allowed to use assets (and maps; much less zombies) from the other games; and still managed to make something that looks and plays quite close to the console version.

almost certainly for android and iphone

Fixed that for you.

I think you think 24 million dollars is a lot more money than it actually is. 24 million dollars couldn't get IW to write a design document let alone make a game. And it's just an assumption that Ubi got the same deal, no one has explicitly said that. In fact I haven't seen any sony-made adverts for it so there may have been no deal at all other than for the pack in. Who knows.

If $24 million doesn't get a developer to sign a document to make a game, then I don't know what will. I think you're downplaying how much money $24 million is. No, it wouldn't get an exclusive GTA or COD game on PS4/Durango, but it should get a competent port from a competent developer.

Oshimai

explains why the gamescom trailer looked like something that was put together last minute. from what I remember, even the sound wasn't synced in the trailer ><

If $24 million doesn't get a developer to sign a document to make a game, then I don't know what will. I think you're downplaying how much money $24 million is. No, it wouldn't get an exclusive GTA or COD game on PS4/Durango, but it should get a competent port from a competent developer.

To a pub that just made 1 billion in 15 days? I imagine that 25 mill would be enough for a major production for a handheld but it wouldn't be wise to spend that type of money on a handheld title at the start of its life. I doubt any pub would do that. Not even Sony.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sony-tokyo-event-1579.jpg

Such a great moment.

It's sad and funny to reflect back on the NGP/Vita reveal hype. To be fair, it sounded like there was alot of developer support, but those were just words and not real commitments.

Also this thread is great in hindsight.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431550

I remember chuckling at that thread back then. Even if CoD Vita was the full monty, I still doubt it would be that much of a help. But we'll never know now.

Chris_C

This concerns me as much as anything if it's true. I know it isn't always desirable to get a port of a game as opposed to an original title but in certain cases I think it's the smarter move, and Black Ops 2 seems like one of those cases. One of Sony's huge selling points for the Vita prior to its release was how easy it was to develop for and how simple it should be to get PS3 games running on it. What is keeping this from being a reality, I wonder? It's troubling.

He didn't say they tried to get CODBLOPS 2 on Vita, he said they tried to get the COD engine on Vita. It's still a little odd they were unable to do that, as it's apparently quite scaleable and runs on heavily modified Quake 3 engine. That said, it's highly unlikley CODBLOPS 2 would run on the Vita at any rate.

So the MGS4 demo was basically a scam, then? I don't understand why it shouldn't be powerful enough to run something like Black Ops 2 with some minor tweaks to the graphics (they could even shoot for 30 fps as opposed to 60, for starters).

That demo was a small enclosed room featuring no one but Snake and the Otacon robot thingy and no AI. It also ran at 15fps. Tech demo's show off the kinds of visual effects possible, but are not always a representation of what first (or second) generation games will look like. Remember, Vita isn't even a year old in the West yet.

$12 million? What the fuck. How much would it have cost to get Monster Hunter? Did Sony not realize that just a name on the box doesn't push games?

Sony wants Vita to succeed in the West, first and foremost. Monster Hunter has limited cache here.

A lot more. A lot.

Let's be realistic though, Call of Duty as a brand is an order of magnitude bigger than Monster Hunter. They aren't even in the same stratosphere.

To a pub that just made 1 billion in 15 days? I imagine that 25 mill would be enough for a major production for a handheld but it wouldn't be wise to spend that type of money on a handheld title at the start of its life. I doubt any pub would do that. Not even Sony.

$25 million is more than enough to cover for a port of a game that's going to another platform anyways and still be profitable even if you sell 0 units. I have a hard time believing that number as well, but famous has insider friends, just not sure how high up they are, might be rumor in the sony office itself.

Sony wants Vita to succeed in the West, first and foremost. Monster Hunter has limited cache here.

Then they need a tablet and a smartphone SKU that gets refreshed yearly. No ifs/and/maybes. That's what the western market wants and is accustomed to right now.

It's a shame Activision didn't put this across to Raven. They've made a few brilliant FPS this gen & work on COD now, I think they would have been a pretty good fit.

Let's be realistic though, Call of Duty as a brand is an order of magnitude bigger than Monster Hunter. They aren't even in the same stratosphere.

Well, except for the small problem that the latter franchise is aimed at an audience that demonstrably exists in the millions on dedicated handhelds, whereas the former isn't.

Which points to a more fundamental problem with how Vita was conceived, but I digress.

thefro

He didn't say they tried to get CODBLOPS 2 on Vita, he said they tried to get the COD engine on Vita. It's still a little odd they were unable to do that, as it's apparently quite scaleable and runs on heavily modified Quake 3 engine. That said, it's highly unlikley CODBLOPS 2 would run on the Vita at any rate.

Treyarch was able to get BLOPS 1 & Modern Warfare 3 ported down to the Wii with 98% of the gameplay intact.

It wouldn't look as good as the PS3/360/PC versions, but they could have definitely got it running on Vita and looking good for the platform.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Which is very odd given the yen to dollar rate. You'd think securing the farm would be top priority.

I really still think this was SCEA doing(since they still operate separately) while it look like SCEJ don't have any resources or just can't go on a bidding war against a money godzilla that is Nintendo (and iirc rumors says they paid Capcom for MH exclusivity so it will be impossible even if SCEJ got some money)

I really still think this was SCEA doing(since they still operate separately) while it look like SCEJ don't have any resources or just can't go on a bidding war against a money godzilla that is Nintendo (and iirc rumors says they paid Capcom for MH exclusivity so it will be impossible even if SCEJ got some money)

As you say, it's far from certain that there was anything Sony could have done to retain MH. But I think they'd at least have had a better shot, not just at MH but at retaining PSP's Japanese third-party support in general, if they had designed Vita with a focus on the Japanese market and on competing directly with 3DS, rather than pursuing a quixotic dream of bringing back PSP's glory days in the West.

Mr. Robot

This doesn't even make sense.

The CoD wii games, ran pretty great on the wii, they were just missing some scenes that the wii couldn't handle, it makes sense to adapt that engine to the Vita/3DS, given that it seems like both of those handhelds can put up better games than the wii.

Top Bottom