• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: Meet the Female Gamer Born of Anti-Feminist Internet Drama

mavs

Your false descriptions of both situations are cute but I'll correct you:

Donald Sterling had publicly donated millions to black progressive organizations while secretly being a disgusting racist piece of shit = /v/ (some good, most bad) donating some money to TFYC while (most) publicly being disgusting sexist pieces of shit... but anonymously.

The LA NAACP was also a sack of shit, though. Same goes for TFYC, then?

the only time iv seen /v/ do anything is recently with "vivian"

/v/ is generally a "your game is shit" "no its not" or "your system is shit" "no yours is" or "pc mustard race lel consoles"

But the recent event has had /v/ stop as a whole and look at the greater threat to video games

"SJW "feminist" extremists with nothing better to do with opinion pieces that is pure click bait to cause a stir.

in their minds, Its almost as if female equality has been achieved in the real world and now its time to take over the virtual.

Video games is where its at right now, people like anita would be a virtual NOBODY if she tried to take to the real world issues rather than video games.

"The greater threat to video games"?? The "greater threat"! Jesus. You sad, delusional boy. Sorry, "truth stings".

I know I shouldn't bother responding since he was already banned for his previous hateful and utterly childish post, but it's hard to come to grips with THAT being what the Anti-Social Warriors actually believe. That gaming is under threat.

I really hope the majority of these people are children. Because I don't want to believe my hobby is full of actual adults that think like that.

Frolow

Banned
Hoo boy. I hate coming out of lurking but some of these comments, while you are free to make them, are honestly embarrassing and frustrating.

I am a regular browser of 4chan. I frequent multiple boards, /v/ included. I am also a woman. While I can't speak for /v/ as a whole, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

/v/ never needed to "make" a woman to agree with their message. We're out there. The shouting has just gotten so loud that we are being ignored and dismissed too. Please consider that before you contribute to this toxic "us vs. them" behavior.

When journalists, bloggers, or otherwise try to paint broad strokes over /v/ and gamers as a whole, it's very disappointing. What's going on right here and right now is hurting everyone in the industry, and not just the "enemy". We shouldn't be censoring opinions, namecalling, turning people who love games against each other; we should be having discussion. On a whole, this wedge being driven into the industry is more damaging than it is helpful. You will change a lot of hearts and minds with discussion over accusation.

When 4chan chose to support TFYC, Mattie~senpai held a very long Q&A on Twitch. He shared his views as a feminist, the situation at hand, how he felt being supported by 4chan. While some anons didn't agree with him, there were also quite a few that acknowledged that maybe some of what he was saying wasn't so bad. Over the past week, I've seen a lot of anons saying that they don't care who makes a good game, or who or what was the main protagonist of a good game is. They just want more good games.

For the sake of this campaign, some anons have accepted that their once venomous, scary, secret club might be changed forever. That's really something.

For those who are unaware:

It was found that TFYC's IDGG was killed in the cradle with misinformation and the clever use of a twitter following.
Note: One of the five women will have her game design developed by Autobotika, and the art, rights, and 8% of the funds go to her. The rest goes to charity. Because /v/ was their sole supporter at one point, they were given the choice of where the money would go. /v/ screamed at each other for a while then chose to "chemo butthurt," I'm not sure what's going on with the shirt's charity situation. Probably more screaming.

A lot of anons were really skeptical about donating at first. After hearing that the head of TFYC was doxxed, the site was knocked offline by the sheer influx of people who went to their site, and they lost all contact with game journalists after one person with a large following denounced it, there was a lot of agreement that they were dealt a crap hand. The donation flood began in spite of some dissenters, we've been spreading the word about it as much as possible, and we are going in deep 'til the end. Honestly, a lot of /v/ really wants Ghost Empire. I do too. It looks really cute.

Since /v/ has chosen to support it, the TFYC IDGG has been hijacked and taken down twice. This has been ignored by almost everyone outside of /v/ and TFYC. /v/ has reported many of these death threats and hackings/crackings to the proper authorities. As a whole, /v/ don't know who's doing it either, and doesn't want anyone undermining the message.

By the way, Vivian is grumpy because she doesn't get enough sleep. She doesn't get enough sleep because she plays games all the time. Please don't look into it so hard, I personally don't think /v/ as a collective group can into character design that well.
Good post. Hate it when people try to think of communities with thousands of users as one collective base.

Toxi

Banned
I'm glad to see that /v/ has adopted the "I have black friends" excuse. Means some people are motivated to do some good before getting back to speculating what Zoe Quinn will wear tomorrow.
Yes, you definitely will hear calls for people to repudiate endorsements or reject donations from, say, white supremacists. (Not to compare these guys to white supremacists, just to show that this exists.).
Don't worry, /v/ has a healthy Stormfront audience.

Mooreberg

The lengths these anonymous people from a board with over a hundred thousand unique posters per day have gone to so they could not be held accountable for possibly spreading mean words in the web astound me.
That is what amazing to me in all of this. I am not aware of a previously existing personality like TB or Thunderfoot having suffered a huge loss in subscribers or ad revenue. Who "lost" on the 4chan side of things, and how did they lose? Better question: who are they? I went there once during all of this and every user name was "anonymous" as far as I could scroll.

The end result is money for FYC's project, a cosmic irony given this whole mess started as a result of the behavior of someone who hates them.

I guess the lesson is, to use a labored analogy, not to get goaded into jumping into the mud wrestling pit when you are in an expensive white suit. The people down there enjoy it, and they never lose at their own game.

Hoo boy. I hate coming out of lurking but some of these comments, while you are free to make them, are honestly embarrassing and frustrating.

I am a regular browser of 4chan. I frequent multiple boards, /v/ included. I am also a woman. While I can't speak for /v/ as a whole, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

/v/ never needed to "make" a woman to agree with their message. We're out there. The shouting has just gotten so loud that we are being ignored and dismissed too. Please consider that before you contribute to this toxic "us vs. them" behavior.

When journalists, bloggers, or otherwise try to paint broad strokes over /v/ and gamers as a whole, it's very disappointing. What's going on right here and right now is hurting everyone in the industry, and not just the "enemy". We shouldn't be censoring opinions, namecalling, turning people who love games against each other; we should be having discussion. On a whole, this wedge being driven into the industry is more damaging than it is helpful. You will change a lot of hearts and minds with discussion over accusation.

When 4chan chose to support TFYC, Mattie~senpai held a very long Q&A on Twitch. He shared his views as a feminist, the situation at hand, how he felt being supported by 4chan. While some anons didn't agree with him, there were also quite a few that acknowledged that maybe some of what he was saying wasn't so bad. Over the past week, I've seen a lot of anons saying that they don't care who makes a good game, or who or what was the main protagonist of a good game is. They just want more good games.

For the sake of this campaign, some anons have accepted that their once venomous, scary, secret club might be changed forever. That's really something.

It was found that TFYC's IDGG was killed in the cradle with misinformation and the clever use of a twitter following.
Note: One of the five women will have her game design developed by Autobotika, and the art, rights, and 8% of the funds go to her. The rest goes to charity. Because /v/ was their sole supporter at one point, they were given the choice of where the money would go. /v/ screamed at each other for a while then chose to "chemo butthurt," I'm not sure what's going on with the shirt's charity situation. Probably more screaming.

A lot of anons were really skeptical about donating at first. After hearing that the head of TFYC was doxxed, the site was knocked offline by the sheer influx of people who went to their site, and they lost all contact with game journalists after one person with a large following denounced it, there was a lot of agreement that they were dealt a crap hand. The donation flood began in spite of some dissenters, we've been spreading the word about it as much as possible, and we are going in deep 'til the end. Honestly, a lot of /v/ really wants Ghost Empire. I do too. It looks really cute.

Since /v/ has chosen to support it, the TFYC IDGG has been hijacked and taken down twice. This has been ignored by almost everyone outside of /v/ and TFYC. /v/ has reported many of these death threats and hackings/crackings to the proper authorities. As a whole, /v/ don't know who's doing it either, and doesn't want anyone undermining the message.

By the way, Vivian is grumpy because she doesn't get enough sleep. She doesn't get enough sleep because she plays games all the time. Please don't look into it so hard, I personally don't think /v/ as a collective group can into character design that well.

Great post. No good comes from judging the whole by the actions of a few.

SOLDIER

Surprised no one's brought up how Vivian is basically lifted from Tomoko.

WataMote.Tomoko-Kuroki-Android-wallpaper.1440x1280.jpg

That said I do like the design and wouldn't mind seeing it used in an actual game or webcomic. Just because her conception was done out of spite doesn't mean she can't be used for something positive.

Frog-fu

Banned
I tend to avoid 4chan like the plague because the few times I've visited that place, I've always regretted it but I'm still astounded by those tweets Quinn supposedly wrote. Has the collage been verified or is it just BS? Are we even allowed to discuss her in relation to TFYC or should I stop posting about it altogether?
I really don't want to get banned over this.

Frog-fu

Banned
Considering it's /v/, you're probably not going to get an answer to that.

Probably not. There has been so much disinformation and contradicting sources out there lately, I don't know what to believe anymore. Maybe somebody will write up a nice, objective overview some day, but I'm done with this topic for now.

Dugna

Probably not. There has been so much disinformation and contradicting sources out there lately, I don't know what to believe anymore. Maybe somebody will write up a nice, objective overview some day, but I'm done with this topic for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiWADnV8pmw video related to it. In the description is this and if you don't believe that link put in any handle you want into it it's real, she actually did say all of this.

Toxi

Banned
Look who is playing now the "conspiracy" card.
It's called common sense. Unsourced and easily shopped info distributed by anonymous posters who love to make up shit is not something you take seriously.

One of the reasons why I get a kick out of people who believe /v/ leakers without decent pics.

It's called common sense. Unsourced and easily shopped info distributed by anonymous posters who love to make up shit is not something you take seriously.

One of the reasons why I get a kick out of people who believe /v/ leakers without decent pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiWADnV8pmw video related to it. In the description is this and if you don't believe that link put in any handle you want into it it's real, she actually did say all of this.

Now you can take it seriously. If it were fake, it would have proved soo ages ago, like any of these /v/ fake leaks.

That's also common sense.

Phades

Sorry, I'm not familiar with vice. Is this like an onion article or something?

You can see her tweets here in the collage

That's just... I dont have the right phrase to describe it. My brain is failing atm.

If I'm reading this right, she incited some DDOS attack? Intentional or not, that just... Weird considering the source and the pure hate flowing through the keystrokes there is on par for what some people likening to /v/ behavior.

This would be aside from the implied common goal shared between them... I just, I just don't get it.

Tawpgun

I don't really know much about the whole Zoe Quinn nonsense but I think the entire scenario is hilarious.

It's like 4chan are being dicks by being nice and unexpected. Because people want to be outraged by them, but then they look like dicks themselves by being outraged by a group thats doing good.

Tik-Tok

Isn't there a rule, or at the very least, it's largely frowned upon to refer to NeoGaf as a single entity. How come no one ever gets up in arms when that happens with other Internet Communities like Reddit or 4Chan.

mugwhump

I do like her character design.

The internet drama continues to reinforce my belief that Twitter is the single worst medium of human communication ever invented.

Anyway, do we know what the game will be about?

I don't really know much about the whole Zoe Quinn nonsense but I think the entire scenario is hilarious.

It's like 4chan are being dicks by being nice and unexpected. Because people want to be outraged by them, but then they look like dicks themselves by being outraged by a group thats doing good.

hahaha yeah, 4chan always manages to troll everyone no matter what.

I don't see anything wrong with what /v/ is doing or the way they treat each other. It must be one of the "things to do" to belong in that circle. Most people don't like treating/being treated like that. Then again, I don't post there or go often as my experiences there have left me scarred for life.

Dugna

I do like her character design.

The internet drama continues to reinforce my belief that Twitter is the single worst medium of human communication ever invented.

Anyway, do we know what the game will be about?

indiegogo page on TFYC basically they vote the idea which these women pitched and they fund and make it, and said character made Vivian can make a cameo in it or be the main character whatever they choose.

SeanTSC

That said I do like the design and wouldn't mind seeing it used in an actual game or webcomic. Just because her conception was done out of spite doesn't mean she can't be used for something positive.

Man, that's definitely lifted from Tomo. My girlfriend loves Tomo and says she identifies with her; I'm going to have to show her this new character. It looks like a teenage version of her with longer hair, but White skin instead of Olive (Brazilian+Mediterranean) - right down to the hair color, eyes, complexion and all.

broham

This is about the best summary of /v/'s involvement with the TFYC and their indiegogo. Hopefully people read it and and stop making dumb posts speculating about the TRUE motivation of these people.

It wasn't a surprise for me when I first found out about Vivian on another board. 4chan loves Tomoko and Watamote, so them making their own western version of her is ultra appropriate.

Brawl96

Quick question,
Is anyone on gaf *actually* homophobic or anti-LGBT or anything of the sort? I always imagined everyone here as being really cool and accepting people at a religious/lifestyle level (of course not at a game level)...

Isn't there a rule, or at the very least, it's largely frowned upon to refer to NeoGaf as a single entity. How come no one ever gets up in arms when that happens with other Internet Communities like Reddit or 4Chan.

To add on, according to the 4chan site stats, there are currently 164,523 users.
Attempting to generalize a hundred people tends to be faulted, generalizing hundreds of thousands just seems absurd.

SystemBug

Hah, nice post overall. I just find the bolded pretty clever, I can see that being a common feature amongst many gamers.
Gamers aren't grumpy because they don't get a lot of asleep.

To add on, according to the 4chan site stats, there are currently 164,523 users.
Attempting to generalize a hundred people tends to be faulted, generalizing hundreds of thousands just seems absurd.
A good amount of people use the term "n*gger f*ggot" to describe people and commonly call others autists. It has that rep for a reason.

Quick question,
Is anyone on gaf *actually* homophobic or anti-LGBT or anything of the sort? I always imagined everyone here as being really cool and accepting people at a religious/lifestyle level (of course not at a game level)...

For the most part, but gaf has its bad apples like any other internet forum. Most bad apples are pretty obvious and get the banhammer, though.

MacNille

Banned
Quick question,

Have not seen anyone yet, but we had a pro-ISIS guy here. It took all my restraint not to call him what he truly was as I didn't want to get banned.

BosSin

This whole debate has been a bunch of pointless bullshit from the start and it's been boring to watch.

Stay classy internet

JoeInky

Quick question,

A quick trip to off-topic will show you that GAF members can be just as disgusting as 4chan posters can be in what they'll defend or say.

Only difference is 4chan posters will also use offensive language, which doesn't really matter when some of the things said on GAF are worse, even if they are more 'polite' about it.

Nymphae

Banned
“social justice warriors." People who, according to Urban Dictionary, engage in “social justice arguments on the internet... in an effort to raise their own personal reputation.” In other words, SJWs don’t hold strong principles, but they pretend to. The problem is, that’s not a real category of people.

Stopped reading here. SJW's are a fucking thing, there's really no denying that.

One of the only generalizations I allow myself to make about 4chan is that its users either love to troll, or wish they did.

And hot damn, the trolling is magnificent, and elegant in its simplicity: wait until an SJW fights another (but more moderate) SJW, then back the moderate and watch the fallout.

And what they're doing is also very important-- they're forcing people to recognize that progress is about issues and not messiahs.

mugwhump

indiegogo page on TFYC basically they vote the idea which these women pitched and they fund and make it, and said character made Vivian can make a cameo in it or be the main character whatever they choose.

Neat ideas there, I like the ghost one.

Most of them seem like they'd be kind of hard to fit Vivian into, though. Don't think they could make her the protagonist without contradicting the original idea, so she'd be an npc at most.

Rojo

Thanks for posting this i feel that this needs more attention to help end some of the ideas that some have of what is going on.

Quick question,

There definitely are, but those vocal with their hate don't last long.

Heavy and unforgiving moderation is the only thing that keeps Gaf afloat above the cesspool of video game related comments sections.

lefantome

TFYC is not 4chan, please consider supporting it even if you don't like the board, their goal is noble and they have been silenced without any reason.

The only thing we can be sure 4chan did in this story is creating Vivian James and funding the project.

We should ask to the journalists why they aren't supporting them. If there is a reason must be known, if there isn't we must demand to cover it.

Post scriptum: the article is awful.

SeanTSC

Sure. We have all types on GAF. Hell, there's at least one gay person who argues against gay marriage and gay rights on a religious basis.

Plenty of people on here are jerks to each other about all kinds of shit.

Yeah, but I think GAF is relatively civil and level headed for the most part. Especially when compared to other places. I enjoy this environment so much more than where I was before due to the moderation here. It's strict, but not overly so and works well.

I had spent most of my life at my other board and community and had built up a lot of stuff there, but as people left and admin and moderation changed hands it slowly degraded. It got to a point where the incredibly daft admins/mods decided that trolls were content creators and drove discussion and it just became non-stop shitposting and idiocy and I just had to leave the place. It's just a totally empty shell of a once great MMO and general board sadly.

Thankfully I had finally gotten approved for gaf (had lurked a long time and finally registered sometime this past year or maybe last fall) and had been posting here for a few months and I'm incredibly grateful for this place (though I do miss what my home was, smaller, easier to keep up, etc). It made the decision to finally leave a lot easier and I really respect how this place is run and the overall atmosphere.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for sharing some finer details about this situation; it can be hard to keep up with all that has transpired, and having to wade through the sweeping generalizations and improper summaries kept me from drawing a clear picture of what exactly is going on.

It's doing nothing of the sort. The one thing /v/ is famous for is fucking HATING video games. That's /v/. Hatred of games and rage. That was their original mascot, a guy so angry that he was on fire. That was about a decade ago, if I remember correctly. Vivian's grumpy expression is meant to represent /v/, and thus is actually a reflection on male gamers, not female ones. Vivian is simply a bunch of males creating a female persona of themselves, rather than imagining an actual female character with her own personality.

That may be, and it does make sense. Still, it seems to me that most fictional female gamers represented anywhere come in two flavors; perpetually angry and clueless (the mythical "fake geek girl"). In this case it might just be coincidence and even justified.

Also, absolutely no one takes 4chan seriously and they rarely get media coverage for anything. That's as it should be.

... this entire thread is about an article written about them?

We shouldn't be censoring opinions, namecalling, turning people who love games against each other; we should be having discussion.

The one thing /v/ is famous for is fucking HATING video games. That's /v/. Hatred of games and rage.

So... which one is it? :D

Top Bottom