• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video appears to show Texas police shooting man walking away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A police dashcam video appears to show a Texas officer shoot a black man as he's walking away from the officer and not posing any immediate threat.

A lawyer for David Collie released a copy of the video showing the July encounter with a Fort Worth officer and a Tarrant County sheriff's deputy. The officer and deputy were off-duty at the time and working a security detail together at an apartment complex, attorney Nate Washington said Wednesday.

He said Collie was shot in the back, leaving him paralyzed.

Police at the time were searching for two shirtless black men who they believed had committed a robbery near a gas station, Washington said. Authorities said in a news release they issued at the time that Collie pulled a box cutter from his pocket and pointed it at the officers.

Collie was charged with aggravated assault on a public servant but a grand jury declined to indict him.

Fort Worth police did not respond Wednesday to a request for comment on the incident.

Collie, 33, was walking from work to a friend's apartment when the officers approached him in the patrol vehicle, Washington said. It was the Fort Worth officer who shot Collie, Washington said, and the video appears to show the officer firing his weapon about 10 seconds after exiting the vehicle and as Collie walked away.

The video was obtained about three weeks ago from the Tarrant County district attorney's office through an open-records request, Washington said. The attorney said he released the video Tuesday at a news conference at Collie's insistence because Collie was tired of comments made to his mother by people assuming he must have done something wrong.

Washington said Collie wanted to make clear he "didn't do anything to threaten an officer."

https://apnews.com/f1bfe501d8c142e1bcd54251534e46f2

Shoot me I am black and walking away if old

Video:

dopplr

Holy shit at the vid. Straight up murdered him - looks like something out of a movie where bribed cops are ordered to kill someone.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can you believe they tried to charge him with aggravated assault, when he didn't do anything but get shot?

Holy shit at the vid. Straight up murdered him - looks like something out of a movie where bribed cops are ordered to kill someone.

He was "only" paralyzed, he's still alive.

bman94

Good on the Grand Jury for not indicting that bullshit charge. There's literally no way they can spin this as him being a threat. Walking, not running, unarmed and facing a completely different direction. Fuck this shit man.

dopplr

He wasn't murdered; just paralyzed.

I read that, should've been more clear - sorry. It just looks like one of those scenes in a crime movie where the cops want to talk to someone and then before they even know what's up shoot him dead. That interaction and the resulting actions of the officers make absolutely no sense, in the time it takes the other officer to light his flashlight, the other one already drew his weapon and fired. Like what is going on in his head?

Kettch

The victim being alive to give his side of the story should be helpful, don't often get that in your standard "empty the clip" police shootings. Whether that'll be enough to matter this time...I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

entremet

How did the US police become a terrorist organization?

Well it was founded in displacing and killing most of the native population. And then fueling the economy on slave labor. The veil is coming off. But this nonsense has been going on forever.

Nepenthe

I read that, should've been more clear - sorry. It just looks like one of those scenes in a crime movie where the cops want to talk to someone and then before they even know what's up shoot him dead. That interaction and the resulting actions of the officers make absolutely no sense, in the time it takes the other officer to light his flashlight, the other one already drew his weapon and fired. Like what is going on in his head?

Makes perfect sense once you understand that a lot of officers don't consider black people to be human beings, or even on par with dogs. At least they like dogs.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Holy fuck...dude had his gun out ready to shoot.

Throw the fucking book at this guy and get the victim a pay day.

Earth is round,. folks. Even if he's walking directly away, all he has to do is walk 25,000 miles and he's right behind the officer.

Can't be too safe.

kmax

It's a shame that the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset is prevalent and wide-spread still to this day.

mortal

Gold Member
This is disgusting, it keeps happening over and over again, but I refuse to become desensitized by this.

Those so called cops have no right to think themselves worthy as being police officers. Hope he gets justice, as is owed to him.

He could've been moonwalking toward them.

Trust me, he could have turned extremely fast and thrown a knife at the cops. Or turned really fast and shot the cops. The cops shooting first is perfectly reasonable self defense and therefore no charges should be leveled against them aside from some R&R at the desk.
- I cant remember the asshole police "trainer" who is constantly called as a star witness and plays video of perfectly rehearsed similar situations in cop involved shootings but the above is probably close to what he will say if called as a star witness.

RPGCrazied

Shoot first, ask questions later. The new way. This is so disgusting on so many levels. And is this cop going to say he was in fear of his life and get a paid vacation?

Measley

I almost said that if you're black and get confronted by the cops, the best thing to do is just lay on the ground and let them cuff you.

But then I remembered that several black people were killed by cops while being cuffed on the ground. So there really isn't shit you can do. Your life is in their hands, and you better hope they're having a good day.

Garlador

One of these days, I'm going to read one of these threads and it'll end with "the officer was convicted of all charges and sentenced to federal prison".

Any day now...

BlitzKeeg

I almost said that if you're black and get confronted by the cops, the best thing to do is just lay on the ground and let them cuff you.

But then I remembered that several black people were killed by cops while being cuffed on the ground. So there really isn't shit you can do. Your life is in their hands, and you better hope they're having a good day.

Yep. It seems like you're gambling your safety every time you call the police, or in this case, just happen to be in public.

At the very very least we now have cameras everywhere to expose what has been happening for decades. Soon all these scumbags will find themselves cornered.

Police unions.

Nope, other countries have police unions and we're fine. It's mostly due to your guns, institutional racism, militarisation of your police force, your police being in cahoots with your courts and justice system instead of it being an unbiased 3rd party and most people not giving a shit.

Hale-XF11

Nope, other countries have police unions and we're fine. It's mostly due to your guns, institutional racism, militarisation of your police force, your police being in cahoots with your courts and justice system instead of it being an unbiased 3rd party and most people not giving a shit.

And the reason we have all those things AND nothing changes is because of police unions.

This the same Fort Worth police department that arrested the mother after she called the cops about a neighbor choking her child a few days ago?

it doesn't quite sink in how horrible it must feel to be permanently paralysed by a member of the state and then be charged a crime for that.

What amazes me is 10 seconds after getting out of the vehicle the officer is shooting this man and then just standing there. Not a single fuck given other than maybe, "shit what's our story going to be".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom