• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video appears to show Texas police shooting man walking away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you believe they tried to charge him with aggravated assault, when he didn't do anything but get shot?

He was "only" paralyzed, he's still alive.
Yet another reason why initial police reports regarding a shooting should never be believed without corroborating evidence.

Plum

One of these days, I'm going to read one of these threads and it'll end with "the officer was convicted of all charges and sentenced to federal prison".

Any day now...

If "after 4, probably even 8 years at the very least," is any day to you then yeah, you're right.

These events are, sadly, not going away any time soon. I have nothing but sympathy for everyone living with this.

Disgusting. The shooter should be locked up. No threat, no reason to think the guy was armed, he was not making any sudden movement. How those cops can live with themselves after doing stuff like this, I can never understand.

Looking at the video,seemed like Collie raised his arm to shield his eyes while the flashlight beam was pointed at him and thats what prompted the officer to open fire.
These officers racially profiled the guy and because they assumed he was the criminal they were looking for ,wrongly interpreted his body language as hostile and confrontational.
Then they lied to cover up their professional incompetence.

Nope, other countries have police unions and we're fine. It's mostly due to your guns, institutional racism, militarisation of your police force, your police being in cahoots with your courts and justice system instead of it being an unbiased 3rd party and most people not giving a shit.
Its true, those cop unions had racism baked into their DNA (as many American unions do) and its been a self perpetuating cycle since.

Skilletor

Looking at the video,seemed like Collie raised his arm to shield his eyes while the flashlight beam was pointed at him and thats what prompted the officer to open fire.
These officers racially profiled the guy and because he was black they were looking for ,wrongly interpreted his body language as hostile and confrontational.
Then they lied to cover up their professional incompetence.

Fixed that for you.

kirblar

Those exist in other countries too, but without anything even remotely like the fucked up shit you constantly hear about American cops. Something is so very wrong.
USs shitty gun laws escalates things to a degree not seen in most other western nations. Police having a rational proportionate response to a armed population then leads to the shitty ones' shitty behavior being exponentially worse than in other places. Unions compound the the issue and are a huge problem but aren't the source of the issue. (re gun violence, racism on the other hand yup)

Paralyzed from being shot, and then having the bastards trying to charge him for assault on top of it. These pieces of shit deserve the worst form of punishment and wont get even half of it. This country's a fucking joke.

Everytime I watch one of these videos I go in from the Police point of view because I was train as a MP for the US Army.

This is 100% the first time I've seen a video like this where all I can think is holy fuck he got gun down for being black and at the wrong place at the wrong time. The victim was pointing at something that was not in the direction at the cops. The way he was pointing, the brief shot of his head, and his body position says he was openly communicating with the cops and none of it seemed hostile.

Everytime I watch one of these videos I go in from the Police point of view because I was train as a MP for the US Army.

This is 100% the first time I've seen a video like this where all I can think is holy fuck he got gun down for being black and at the wrong place at the wrong time. The victim was pointing at something that was not in the direction at the cops. The way he was pointing, the brief shot of his head, and his body position says he was openly communicating with the cops and none of it seemed hostile.

Really? The 1st time....wow.

You forgot to add a
/s
to your post.

Really? The 1st time....wow.

You forgot to add a
/s
to your post.

I have a few friends that are/were cops and it's incredible but they somehow manage to find a justification for every single video that gets released. In their minds any perceived threat, regardless of how slight, deserves to be met with maximum force to protect their lives so they can get home safely to their families.

I tried to explain to one of them after the Alton Sterling shooting that he was the one who signed up for the dangerous job, not the general public who seems to be getting asked to be more responsible for their actions than trained P.O.s, but he still wouldn't budge. It's like a religion to them, so frustrating.

It's so crazy how poorly trained they seem. He just has his gun out and then shoots the guy. There's no evidence of them trying to handle the situation in any way. He just shoots. It's like no other option even crossed his mind.

I have a few friends that are/were cops and it's incredible but they somehow manage to find a justification for every single video that gets released. In their minds any perceived threat, regardless of how slight, deserves to be met with maximum force to protect their lives so they can get home safely to their families.

I tried to explain to one of them after the Alton Sterling shooting that he was the one who signed up for the dangerous job, not the general public who seems to be getting asked to be more responsible for their actions than trained P.O.s, but he still wouldn't budge. It's like a religion to them, so frustrating.

So whats their explanation for the patience and consideration given to uncooperative White men?

R0ckman

I mean the fucking KKK has congress members and senators in office in the US.

It's depressing.

I'm assuming people are blackmailed into not getting rid of these roaches. If I ever reached any of these positions, the first thing I would do is expose them and get them out of the position.

R0ckman

They should not be in the force with this mentality.

But that isnt their mentality across the spectrum, otherwise Whites would be getting killed at the same rate. We already see anecdotal evidence of a difference in approach to uncooperative Whites:

Old Guy Putting Michigan's 'Open Carry' Gun Laws To The Test

Armed man shot, injured by San Diego police in Mission Bay

Man accused of firing BB gun toward officers

Woman in body armor shoots up Chattanooga after Christmas

Meanwhile we have Tamir Rice, Alton Sterling and Philando Castile shot within seconds. Im not buying what these cops are selling, if they were just equal opportunity with their loose trigger fingers, that would show up in the data. But it doesnt and lo and behold, Blacks are 3.5x more likely to get shot by these cops than Whites.

So whats their explanation for the patience and consideration given to uncooperative White men?
The friend I was arguing about Sterling about refused to admit that it exists, sites stats that more white men get killed by police and blames everything on the media and BLM. He's actually a decent person which I know is very difficult to believe. I just gave up trying to get through to him, he's too far gone.
I agree, but it's extremely pervasive in the ranks. I think that they have to buy into the mentality to avoid being ostracized by the other officers whether they go in agreeing with it or not.

The friend I was arguing about Sterling about refused to admit that it exists, sites stats that more white men get killed by police and blames everything on the media and BLM. He's actually a decent person which I know is very difficult to believe. I just gave up trying to get through to him, he's too far gone.

I agree, but it's extremely pervasive in the ranks. I think that they have to buy into the mentality to avoid being ostracized by the other officers whether they go in agreeing with it or not.

Its interesting how that stat is always brought up by cops & their apologists, its like they dont understand how proportionality works.
But Im almost 100% positive if you tell your friend Whites commit the most crime, he would instantly dismiss that stat and bring up how Blacks are overrepresented in the crime stats, relative to their population percentages. Funny how their understanding of that doesnt extend to police shootings though.
More than anything, its the disingenuousness and intellectual dishonesty from the other side that gets to me.

This just America being America. Ain't like us when we was packed on a slave boat. Didn't like us when we picked their cotton. Still don't like us now. It's just America doing what it has always done. Keep Black folk in their place.

And according to racists it's well earned.

Its interesting how that stat is always brought up by cops & their apologists, its like they dont understand how proportionality works.
But Im almost 100% positive if you tell your friend Whites commit the most crime, he would instantly dismiss that stat and bring up how Blacks are overrepresented in the crime stats, relative to their population percentages. Funny how their understanding of that doesnt extend to police shootings though.
More than anything, its the disingenuousness and intellectual dishonesty from the other side that gets to me.

I'm not sure if I could accurately explain the level to which this guys brain is washed. He claims to be part black (looks 110% white) and says that he's experienced more racism than I have (not going to argue with him, no point) because when people find out he's part black (which they only can when he volunteers the info) they treat him different, stop letting their kids play with his kids, etc.

Meanwhile he thinks racism isn't a big problem in America... I just :/

Another minority shot due to excessive use of force.

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

USs shitty gun laws escalates things to a degree not seen in most other western nations. Police having a rational proportionate response to a armed population then leads to the shitty ones' shitty behavior being exponentially worse than in other places. Unions compound the the issue and are a huge problem but aren't the source of the issue. (re gun violence, racism on the other hand yup)

You post this garbage in every one of these threads, trying to deflect from a story about racist police murder so you can push gun control. FOH. White people stay strapped and this shit never happens to them. The issue is racism. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom