• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Games Are Better Without Stories

I'm on board with some of the ideas - just swapping out "all games" for "some games," as the medium has the space for both traditional narratives and games that entirely eschew them - but he lost me when he started talking down to young adult fiction.

Article said:
Feats, but relative ones. Writing about Gone Home upon its release, I called it the video-game equivalent of young-adult fiction. Hardly anything to be ashamed of, but maybe much nothing to praise, either. If the ultimate bar for meaning in games is set at teen fare, then perhaps they will remain stuck in a perpetual adolescence even if they escape the stereotypical dude-bro’s basement.

Dude is like to run into something with his nose held so high in the air.

Mosse

Neo Member
Again, because it limits the medium.

It's not about what I like and what I don't like. I like plenty of games with cutscenes. It's not like I avoid them.

What it's about is video games exploring unique ways to convey emotions and stories. And that progress is constantly lessened the longer the industry sees "Let's just imitate movies." as the standard.

But there is tons of games telling stories in different ways, and I'm pretty sure there is way more different kind of games today then before. I guess we just look at games differently, I don't think of games imitating movies just because they have cutscenes, I see it as games telling stories using different ways depending on the situation. A game like Uncherted 4 is using both gameplay, interactive cutscenes and regular cutscenes depending on the moment to tell the story in different ways. I don't see how a game like that is hurting the progress of storytelling in games.

So lets agree to disagree I guess :)

I feel it's necessary for video games to borrow from other mediums by design because A.) Games inherently share basic characteristics with other mediums despite the interactive element, and B.) Other mediums have a better grasp upon narrative through design than games do, and as a result, reference is necessary.
It would be odd to expect them not to borrow from other mediums. Film borrows from theater, tv from film, and so on, and games contain elements from every other medium - film, music, literature, art, etc.

HardRojo

7Z0bLZ6.png

He is on point.

"Neiled" it.

Nepenthe

It would be odd to expect them not to borrow from other mediums. Film borrows from theater, tv from film, and so on, and games contain elements from every other medium - film, music, literature, art, etc.

Exactly. This is why I don't understand gamers' insistence on having the medium just exist in its own little separate microcosm of design, despite the fact that the ship sailed the moment the first video game was even made.

Maybe if I said this type of story telling shouldn't exist then I would. But I didn't.

You don't need to say they shouldn't exist. Simply making proclamations about what games should and should not try is more than enough to limit the medium.

I just don't get how you can think that taking a prescriptive stance about what games should be is somehow an argument for removing limits.

You don't need to say they shouldn't exist. Simply making proclamations about what games should and should not try is more than enough to limit the medium.

I just don't get how you can think that taking a prescriptive stance about what games should be is somehow an argument for removing limits.
I didn't say any of what you're saying. I said something shouldn't be the baseline. That's completely different than saying something shouldn't exist or that people shouldnt try to do things in certain ways.

dolce

Banned
Depends on the game, imo. Some stories work in tandem with the gameplay, like TLOU, and others take away from enjoying the game

Painguy

Context should certainly be provided to motivate the player but it shouldn't detract from gameplay. I personally dont like The Last of Us because it puts its cutscene and story far ahead of gameplay. Imo it was a incredibly boring game because I really couldnt do much in the game as a player. There was much more watching than playing.

I didn't say any of what you're saying. I said something shouldn't be the baseline. That's completely different than saying something shouldn't exist or that people shouldn't try to do things in certain ways.

You said:

Video games shouldn't be striving for cinematic moments as the baseline for its storytelling. All it does is limit the medium. It would be like if you were reading a comic book and when you turned the page, there was no art. Just a bunch of paragraphs explaining what is happening. At that point, the person isn't playing into the visual aspect of comics, and instead of using those pages to let an artist convey the authors words, they decide to imitate novels and literature and just write a few paragraphs.

You are saying what games should and shouldn't do. You are saying that if games don't comport themselves in the way that you approve, that they are limiting themselves. You also drop some good stuff about what comic books should and shouldn't be as well, so I guess this is just a natural thing for you?

EdmondD

Nier Automata was a mistake. Good thing Taro is leaving the industry and working for a restaurant.
Apparently devs shouldn't even try to make better stories they should just give up entirely. I hate articles like this where the writer is entirely up their own ass.

Hopeford

People enjoy stories in games, they shouldn't go anywhere because of that.

With that said, I actually want to make an argument about why I love stories in games so much.

What I love the most about games stories isn't even interactivity, but the...periphery of it, I suppose. In both movies and books you are only ever allowed to glance at the world through the path presented to you. Either a viewpoint character, or a scene, or through snapshots.

I love Wheel of Time's world, for example. I wish I could just spend hours going to each separate place in it and just seeing the architecture, the story of its people, and many other things of the sort. I find Game of Thrones' world fascinating, but I only really see glimpses of it - I don't know the architecture of the castle, I can't fully imagine the day-to-day lives of people living there.

That isn't to say that I wish the show or book would take the time to show me such things, it would kill the pacing of a linear story.

But games can present a linear story while still allowing you to turn around and just take in the world. This is one of Deadly Premonitions' greatest strengths, in my opinion. You go through the entire story, which is told in a linear fashion, and the "open world" is used as a detailed background to really set the mood for the story and lets you find out as much or as little as you want about it. This...for the lack of a better word, archaeological approach to the environment is just fascinating to me in so many ways.

To me, that is a kind of storytelling you seriously can't find in anything but games by virtue of how they are built.

My ideal game would be open world, but without proper sidequests. I'd just want the world filled with detail and characters that told you interesting things about the world, take part in meaningless daily activities characters in that world would engage in, and a straightforward plot to guide you forward.

Not sure if any of my rambling made any sense, but I hope it did!

Wensih

I would say there is some merit in this article, especially in games where the driving factor is the story and the gameplay elements impede the continuation of the plot. I remember being extremely aggravated during a scene in Spec-Ops where I reached a fail state about 15 times before being able to progress. While some may say the fail state is incorporated into the narrative, it doesn't negate the fact that video games are one of the few mediums where progress is physically haulted. A lot of times this creates a jarring and combative experience between narrative and gameplay.

Rathorial

Definitely can't agree with the article, but rather than cinema envy...I think enough game developers try to mimic movie storytelling, and too few try to push player interaction within a narrative.

"Walking Simulators", or games that just take from Looking Glass environmental storytelling, do involve slightly more of the player in the story. Unfortunately that slightly more is just picking up the pieces of a narrative, and putting them together in your mind like a simple puzzle. I think the medium could do more to involve the player in the tale itself, than leaving a tale for the player to find. Not that these other types of experiences need to be discarded in the process though.

For me, the game stories that have had the most impact in my life, have either been driven around player choice altering the tale (Planescape Torment), or driven by emergent moment generating systems (Civilization series). The latter has been the types of stories games have brought to the table since chess, and are utterly unique to just all types of games. The former though is where I think video games can do them best, because code and AI allow for more organic ways a player can alter the world around them, vs. a book saying turn to page 56 to see an outcome. Dialog trees are fun, but so many other mechanics could branch a story, and too few devs try much beyond that...for now.

I'm thinking about movies released last year, think about the animated genre.

Oscar nominated movies:

Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Life as a Zucchini, Red Turtle. Now, I haven't seen the last two but give me The Last Guardian over the other three any day of my life and I'm convinced my 10 years old self would think the same.

And I'm being fair with the animated genre with just counting 2016 movies.

Falcs

Banned
If games didn't have stories, I most likely wouldn't even play them. 90% of the games that I play, I enjoy them and play them because of their stories.

"Video Games Are Better Without Stories" is simply just wrong. There is no argument. It's like saying "Blue is the best colour".

joecanada

Well this is obviously wrong on a fundamental level but my experience with skipping 90% of cutscenes in games for decades makes me somewhat agree lol

odhiex

I agree with Neil. There's no perfect formula on what a consumer media should and should do.. some will exceed and the others will failed. Simple.

Without direction and story, games start to feel like a total waste of time, unless they're online multiplayer with people you know because that's kind of a social thing. Almost gave up on BOTW even though id been waiting for that game for so long, since so much of the game felt inconsequential and menial.

oneils

Doesn't change the fact that they're both experienced and informed individuals within their fields, and the guy who wrote this article isn't

Not that you have to be in a field to critique said field, but when you start making broad statements on the nature of a medium and its innerworkings, having hands-on experience and knowledge matters

If you think Inside doesn't have a story or narrative, you should play it again

Bogost is a co-founder of game studio that's made quite a few mobile games. Can't speak for their quality, but he is a game developer.

I'm on board with some of the ideas - just swapping out "all games" for "some games," as the medium has the space for both traditional narratives and games that entirely eschew them - but he lost me when he started talking down to young adult fiction.

Dude is like to run into something with his nose held so high in the air.
Yup, that section is especially pretentious and, frankly, snobby. Young adult fiction isn't some lower form of literature than adult fiction, the distinction is based on audience, not on quality. Doubt he knows much about YA fiction anyway since he's making statements like that, but maybe don't generalize if you don't know what you are talking about.

Later on he goes on to say poetry isn't really a storytelling medium either...ignoring thousands of years of poetic story telling. Ever heard of Gilgamesh, Beowulf, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Paradise Lost?

levyjl1988

Banned
I'd like to have a reason why I'm doing something.
So a story is completely necessary, a story is also crafted by the characters action. Shooting at something can only get so far.

Bogost is a co-founder of game studio that's made quite a few mobile games. Can't speak for their quality, but he is a game developer.
Think More_Badass is suggesting he is inexperienced when it comes to writing/storytelling/narrative, which, based on some of the comments he makes in the article, is likely true.

oneils

Yup, that section is especially pretentious and, frankly, snobby. Young adult fiction isn't some lower form of literature than adult fiction, the distinction is based on audience, not on quality. Doubt he knows much about YA fiction anyway since he's making statements like that, but maybe don't generalize if you don't know what you are talking about.

Later on he goes on to say poetry isn't really a storytelling medium either...ignoring thousands of years of poetic story telling. Ever heard of Gilgamesh, Beowulf, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Paradise Lost?

I feel like I read a different article than you. He says stories come later, after the foundations of the medium. According to you, then, he also thinks that film, painting and tv don't tell stories either?

I feel like I read a different article than you. He says stories come later, after the foundations of the medium. According to you, then, he also thinks that film, painting and tv don't tell stories either?
Poetry has been used to tell stories for as long as we've recorded the spoken word in writing. It shows an ignorance of poetry and its history to suggest that storytelling is secondary to poetry. His comments about YA fiction are just plain insulting.

Think More_Badass is suggesting he is inexperienced when it comes to writing/storytelling/narrative, which, based on some of the comments he makes in the article, is likely true.

So a guy who has authored or co-authored ten books and has a Ph.D. in comparative literature is "inexperienced when it comes to writing/storytelling/narrative"?

Wow.

Poetry has been used to tell stories for as long as we've recorded the spoken word in writing. It shows an ignorance of poetry and its history to suggest that storytelling is secondary to poetry. His comments about YA fiction are just plain insulting.
Even further back. Humans were telling stories before writing

Video games can be with or without story, they can work both ways. Pac-Man and Tetris sure as hell don't need stories, but games that are RPGs or Adventures need some semblance of story telling, even if it's subtle ala Dark Souls.

Speaking as a guy with an English Lit degree, literature is not something that's confined to a single medium, it's something that is constantly evolving as we develop new ways of telling stories. Video games are a realtively new medium of literature that has to rely on a catalyst (gameplay) in order to properly convey an interesting story to the player. Though this doen't necessarily apply to games like visual novels, where the only goal is to see all endings/routes/images.

oneils

I feel like he isn't contradicting you. He isn't refuting that at all.

So a guy who has authored or co-authored ten books and has a Ph.D. in comparative literature is "inexperienced when it comes to writing/storytelling/narrative"?

Wow.
I was mistaken in not researching the guy before making such a claim

But the claim isn't inaccurate even in light of that info.

Just like I wouldn't go to a biologist for evidence and discussion about climate science, him being well-studied in literature doesn't give him the knowledge or experience to present such a broad thesis on the storytelling and narrative of games, and thus game design (because aesthetic, level design, gameplay, controls, etc. are as much avenues of storytelling as the actual words and characters)

I mean, he does mention how the visual aspect of games is not really a means of storytelling (it's nothing more than a technical feat of the 3D engine and so on)
These are remarkable accomplishments. But they are not feats of storytelling, at all. Rather, they are novel expressions of the capacities of a real-time 3-D engine.

Wozman23

Video games are a relatively new form of media when compared to movies and books. Have you ever watched and old movie or old TV series and thought it had terrible direction, or poor pacing - like a lengthy scene where the character was just silently driving down a road? Plus, under the logic that there is one ultimate form of media, why would any other exist? Why would you adapt a movie from a book when the book is superior? Why would you create a serial TV show based upon a movie?

Video games are evolving. Decades ago the story was, "There's a princess in a castle." Now they are far more complex. There are going to be some growing pains just as happened with the other mediums.

Games present a unique benefit in that they let the player directly interact with the experience. That isn't something that is as easy to do with a book or movie. So they do need to use that line of delineation to their benefit.

The first person exploration game, or walking sim, is in it's infancy. I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed every one of them I've played. My main complaint is that they don't have enough interaction, or gameplay elements. But you can easily cherry pick examples in any form of media that are poor examples of their craft.

I got bored and didn't make it through Dear Esther or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I wasn't a fan of Gone Home. I thought Firewatch was a step in the right direction, but still far from amazing. Earlier this year, despite some rough edges, Blackwood Crossing moved in a more positive direction once more, with a heartfelt tale. And now What Remains of Edith Finch came along and iterated on the formula once more, creating something that I still had minor grips about, but thoroughly enjoyed. I'd say it's probably the first walking sim that left me satisfied.

Sure any of those could have been a book, or a movie, but they would have lost some of the details that make them unique as a game. There are plenty of benefits that games can utilize, whether it's building worlds that step away from realism, using bold art styles, or offering different perspectives, like using only a first person perspective, which you don't often see in other mediums. All of that enhances the fantasy and immersion, often better than other methods. Thankfully, due to those unique traits, I'm really starting to enjoy the direction story-based games are heading.

In a parallel artistic industry, I've always enjoyed rock music. Years ago I'd heard of the instrumental post-rock genre, but immediately wrote it off because the songs didn't have a singer or words. Now, with some years in me and a better understanding of rock as a whole, it's my favorite genre. Sometimes, the industry doesn't have to change, just the consumer's perspective.

As you age and gather extra intelligence through your experiences. Your tastes and thought processes shift. You sometimes realize the old you was just naive and stupid. I was with post-rock, and this guy is with walking sims.

Elandyll

Banned
The Last of Us, Soma, Life is Strange and many others tell interactive stories that are far better than a huge load of Hollywood movies, and far more immersive.

So..
No?

Wild Card

Considering how Nier: Automata manages to tell a story only possible within the medium of videogames, no I don't think games shouldn't have stories.

Bishop89

Don't see a lot of movies?
Or is it due to the interactivity games provide?
No I see a lot of movies.

I just like videogame stories because more imagination and craziness goes into them.
It might have to do with the interactivity aspect, having all these cool world's and creatures etc...

I dunno.

Modern real life stories in movies are just a bore.
But to be fair I don't really watch movies or play games for the story anyway, only the entertainment / fun value I get out of them

bigjig

I do wish there were more games that use the unique aspect of games - interactivity - to tell their stories, rather than the Naughty Dog school of barely interactive cinematic games.

Less Uncharted, more Nier Automata please.

oneils

I was mistaken in not researching the guy before making such a claim

But the claim isn't inaccurate even in light of that info.

Just like I wouldn't go to a biologist for evidence and discussion about climate science, him being well-studied in literature doesn't give him the knowledge or experience to present such a broad thesis on the storytelling and narrative of games, and thus game design (because aesthetic, level design, gameplay, controls, etc. are as much avenues of storytelling as the actual words and characters)

I mean, he does mention how the visual aspect of games is not really a means of storytelling (it's nothing more than a technical feat of the 3D engine and so on)

He is also a game developer.

Anyway, it shouldn't really matter. If games are art that tell stories, they should be subjected to actual criticism by critics. We can't have it both ways. I feel like the typical reaction to this type of criticism actually sets back the argument that games are art (not pointed at you). If games are art, then we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss genuine criticism.

koss424

One of my favorite video game stories was Thomas Was Alone. A puzzle game that didn't need a story but ended up been a very sweet experience because of it.

The problem with so many story driven games is that the plot goes off the rails 3/4 of the way through as the developers rush to finish the game. But I certain appreciate stories that are done well.

You said:

You are saying what games should and shouldn't do. You are saying that if games don't comport themselves in the way that you approve, that they are limiting themselves. You also drop some good stuff about what comic books should and shouldn't be as well, so I guess this is just a natural thing for you?
You can't read.

He is also a game developer.

If games are art that tell stories, they should be subjected to actual criticism. We can't have it both ways. I feel like the typical reaction to this type of criticism actual sets back the argument that games are art (not pointed at you). If games are art, then we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss genuine criticism.
Considering he doesn't even accept that the visuals and level design of a game is a means of storytelling (which is ridiculous because set design, lighting, and so on are absolutely means of storytelling in other visual mediums), and prefaces his argument by essentially saying everything else is better so why do games even try....what makes his argument genuine criticism?

I do wish there were more games that use the unique aspect of games - interactivity - to tell their stories, rather than the Naughty Dog school of barely interactive cinematic games.

Less Uncharted, more Nier Automata please.

Some of us enjoy both, and don't want either to just disappear in favor of the other :)
ND are very good at what they do

Dynheart

Banned
Weird claim. Video games are better when there is a variety of experiences. I would hate it there was only one way to experience a game (no story, all story, and yes, even both).

oneils

Considering he doesn't even accept that the visuals and level design of a game is a means of storytelling (which is ridiculous because set design, lighting, and so on are absolutely means of storytelling in other visual mediums), and prefaces his argument by essentially saying everything else is better so why do games even try....what makes his argument genuine criticism?

Other mediums are more effective at story telling than video games. That video games are better off without stories. That's a critical argument. So lets refute the argument.

You've already started refuting the argument by pointing at its flaws. 3d representations can tell stories etc.

Lets not argue that the critic is not an authority. Or point to non sequitur tweets (not accusing you of this) etc...

Top Bottom