• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Ouya dev console unboxing, complete with early controller

I don't understand why people are so dead set on hating the Ouya. It's a $100 indie game/emulator/home theater box with a controller. I personally think it is going to be a blast to tinker with. :D

Heres the problem, no name recognition. Indie gamers and the ios gamers these would attract will already have a device to play these games on. If you are thinking a mom is going to be going into a store asking what cheap console to get their kid the clerk is NOT going to point to the Ouya abd say Angry Birds? They are going to point to the Wii with Mario and a huge, platinum hits cheap library or a Xbox, which will probably have another price drop by 720 launch, and its huge cheap library. Its not being negative, just realistic when it comes to mass market. $100 is cheap, but still a hundred bucks that with a little more can buy into a bigger stronger console library. Its going to be an interesting experiment to watch.

I don't think the Ouya has any dreams of being a mass market device.

Biff

This looks like a terrible piece of shit. Did they seriously put a fan in a closed box? Oh, but I'm excited for "customizable controllers", "hackable hardware", and the big new reveal..... Mini-USB? LOL

I feel awful for whoever paid $100 for this. They somehow think they are going to scoop up developers to make Ouya-exclusive games? You will have a potential market of 80,000-100,000 Ouya boxes versus 100 million+ Android smartphones.

No wonder they had to fund this through kickstarter. No VC firm with sophisticated investors would drop a dime on this train wreck.

Izick

This console is very intriguing to say the least. 99$ is an impulse buy for a lot of people just interested in the tech or trying out gaming on the thing, but I'm going to wait for the day that a game comes out for the thing that I really, really want to play.

This looks like a terrible piece of shit. Did they seriously put a fan in a closed box? Oh, but I'm excited for "customizable controllers", "hackable hardware", and the big new reveal..... Mini-USB? LOL

I feel awful for whoever paid $100 for this. They somehow think they are going to scoop up developers to make Ouya-exclusive games? You will have a potential market of 80,000-100,000 Ouya boxes versus 100 million+ Android smartphones.

No wonder they had to fund this through kickstarter. No VC firm with sophisticated investors would drop a dime on this train wreck.

100,000 or so dedicate gaming enthusiasts vs 100+ devices owned by people who couldn't give two shits about your indie game nor have a good way to control it? And why do the games need to be Ouya-exclusive?

Also, KS exists specifically for projects like the OUYA. Is it going to sell five million units? Probably not. Is it going to be a fun piece of hardware for a small audience of dedicated enthusiasts? Probably. They let the community decide and the community supported it in record numbers.

As a forum of hardcore gamers, I would have thought we would be more receptive to a new indie game platform. We need more open gaming platforms, and this looks to be one as well as excellent platform for anyone interested in learning how to make games.

Tobor

100,000 or so dedicate gaming enthusiasts vs 100+ devices owned by people who couldn't give two shits about your indie game nor have a good way to control it? And why do the games need to be Ouya-exclusive?

Also, KS exists specifically for projects like the OUYA. Is it going to sell five million units? Probably not. Is it going to be a fun piece of hardware for a small audience of dedicated enthusiasts? Probably. They let the community decide and the community supported it in record numbers.

As a forum of hardcore gamers, I would have thought we would be more receptive to a new indie game platform.

It's not bringing anything interesting to the table, IMO.

Gaming "platforms" are becoming services, services that ideally run on more than just one hardware device. If Ouya was a standardized controller and Steam like platform that ran on a wide range of devices, including TV's, I'd be far more interested.

It is $100 for a nice emulator box.

well for a hundred bucks, you could certainly do a lot worse:

Wii_Mini_1.jpg

Yeah, the Wii Mini is only available in Canada, but for $100.00 it lacks component video, online functionality and no virtual console access.. The Ouya is doing a lot better in those respects. I don't expect the Ouya to light the gaming world on fire either, but it does fill a nice niche for an open source game console. It is really just an Android box for your TV, nothing too wrong with that.

jman2050

As a forum of hardcore gamers, I would have thought we would be more receptive to a new indie game platform.

Oh hush up. I am under no obligation whatsoever to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone because of grassroots sentimentality. I can only judge a product by its own merits or lack thereof. Most independent projects suck and fail, and this is not an indictment on the very idea of independent creative endeavors, it's a pragmatic assessment of what is actually happening. I have no doubt that there will be some kind of following for this device, however long it lasts, but that's pretty irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

R1CHO

I've looked into them, and I could be wrong, but they don't exactly seem all that powerful?

You are not wrong. Tegra3 is not the best thing ever tbh, not even a year ago, but its in another league of performance compared to rPi.

I don't understand why people are so dead set on hating the Ouya. It's a $100 indie game/emulator/home theater box with a controller. I personally think it is going to be a blast to tinker with. :D

Well, you can buy a micro-pc/hdmi-stick equiped with Android for like 60 dollars. They run native Android (JB), all you need is an additional pad (or use a ps3 controller/wiimote). I'm not sure how they compare in terms of specs, but by the time this thing is released they might already outperform it.

Biff

My problem isn't that they are trying something new. My problem is that this is a scam that capitalized on foolish investors who didn't understand what they were getting into.

This was presented to the masses as the next big console. $100 for free gaming. I couldn't see an Ouya media piece without hearing those two things: the price, and "free" gaming.

There will not be a single free full title at launch of Ouya. This is going to be a mess, and the 80,000 people who supported the KS are going to pay for it. That's why I'm not receptive of this initiative.

And that F2P mess is a best case scenario. Notice how we haven't received any details about the warranties that will be provided with each Ouya? All we know is that rooting/hacking your device "won't void your warranty." What if there is a mass manufacturing issue caused by cheap production (likely considering the $100 price point)? This isn't Microsoft and the RROD. This is a small company that will pack up its business and close shop.

Dicer

Banned
Well, you can buy a micro-pc/hdmi-stick equiped with Android for like 60 dollars. They run native Android (JB), all you need is an additional pad (or use a ps3 controller/wiimote). I'm not sure how they compare in terms of specs, but by the time this thing is released they might already outperform it.

Link a setup...

buhdeh

Haven't read much about this but if you can get XBMC on this then it's already a good deal. Hell, people are stupid enough to pay a hundred bucks for a crippled POS like the Apple TV.

Emitan

That said, and I know purists will hang me for this; I'd be fine with next generation controllers ditching the dpad altogether. Use the space on the controller for something more useful.

You have 5 seconds to give me a reason to not murder you.

:p

I am like literally a crazy person and I acknowledge this but I'd rather lose analog sticks than the d-pad.

My problem isn't that they are trying something new. My problem is that this is a scam that capitalized on foolish investors who didn't understand what they were getting into.

This was presented to the masses as the next big console. $100 for free gaming. I couldn't see an Ouya media piece without hearing those two things: the price, and "free" gaming.

There will not be a single free full title at launch of Ouya. This is going to be a mess, and the 80,000 people who supported the KS are going to pay for it. That's why I'm not receptive of this initiative.

And that F2P mess is a best case scenario. Notice how we haven't received any details about the warranties that will be provided with each Ouya? All we know is that rooting/hacking your device "won't void your warranty." What if there is a mass manufacturing issue caused by cheap production (likely considering the $100 price point)? This isn't Microsoft and the RROD. This is a small company that will pack up its business and close shop.

A: People didn't "invest" in the Ouya through kickstarter. They simply preordered one.

B: The "free" aspect simply requires devs to provide a demo or lite version in order to be on the Ouya store. This is no different than XBLA and was clearly spelled out on the project's KS page:

"We're handing the reins over to the developer with only one condition: at least some gameplay has to be free. We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town, and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe."

C: Has any company proactively marketed their warranty policy before its product launches?

D: How is it a scam? That is a pretty heavy accusation to throw out.

Link a setup...

I'm really not an expert on those things, just seen it use.
I think this site is like the main source for those things: http://liliputing.com/
So, let's pick their latest news bit:
http://liliputing.com/2012/12/s21h-android-4-1-mini-pc-features-2gb-of-ram.html

These are the specs:
CPU: RK 3066, Cortex-A9
RAM: 2GB DDR3
Flash: 8GB Nand Flash
WIFI: 802.11b/g/n
Built-in Bluetooth
Not sure about the GPU.

/here's one with a quad-core cpu:
http://liliputing.com/2012/10/hiapad-hi-802-pc-on-a-stick-with-freescale-quad-core-cpu.html

//benchmarks for the same CPU in a tablet:
http://liliputing.com/2012/10/freescale-i-mx6-quad-core-cpu-benchmarks-ampe-a10-tablet.html

/// Live demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19D-vM5RQ4

////I wish someone would make an OT for those.

Raonak

Banned
Didn't really have much interest in this until the kickstarter finished.

quite excited for it now. I dout it'll be a huge success, but im excited for it.

The greatness about the mobile platforms is that they're so open. We don't really have something like that on consoles, XBLIG comes close, but thats pretty much being buried by ms. Ouya brings that mobile store open-ness, but on a console.

Plus it's cheap. Even if it fails, you didn't really loose much.

Blitzzz

I'm really not an expert on those things, just seen it use.
I think this site is like the main source for those things: http://liliputing.com/
So, let's pick their latest news bit:
http://liliputing.com/2012/12/s21h-android-4-1-mini-pc-features-2gb-of-ram.html

These are the specs:

Not sure about the GPU.

/here's one with a quad-core cpu:
http://liliputing.com/2012/10/hiapad-hi-802-pc-on-a-stick-with-freescale-quad-core-cpu.html

//benchmarks for the same CPU in a tablet:
http://liliputing.com/2012/10/freescale-i-mx6-quad-core-cpu-benchmarks-ampe-a10-tablet.html

/// Live demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19D-vM5RQ4

////I wish someone would make an OT for those.

all of these cost almost as much as an Ouya....

The extra $10 or $20 you spend will pay off with dev support. Finding info on what these sticks can do and any devs/hackers that support them are a pain in the ass and not worth the time.

Boerseun

Banned
I backed the Kickstarter and will be receiving a Special Edition console plus 4 controllers come March/April. Every new update has just raised my excitement level for this project. OUYA feels like something special. Sure, the parts are standard, but the people aren't. Other projects have gone after the same market and failed over and over, when somehow OUYA is succeeding in drumming up support and getting mainstream exposure. Is it because the likes of Julie Uhrman and Muffi Ghadiali come across as genuinely passionate about their product? Is it because the Kickstarter was well thought out? Or maybe because of their devastatingly effective community building activities, using all major social network outlets, following the ending of the Kickstarter? I don't know. Maybe it's all of the above. What I do know is that this is one Kickstarter that felt like a sure thing from day one. I had no doubts about backing it and I believe the results will speak for themselves. It's a real shame about the negativitiy here on GAF though. I honestly felt people on here would welcome the breath of fresh air represented by this console.

all of these cost almost as much as an Ouya....

The extra $10 or $20 you spend will pay off with dev support. Finding info on what these sticks can do and any devs/hackers that support them are a pain in the ass and not worth the time.

*digging for info*

1) It's $40 less if you get this, for instance:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Riko...9-1G-RAM-8G-ROM-HDMI-Wifi---Black-313499.html
A review says it has got a "Quad-Core Mali 400" GPU with a dual-core Cotex A9, 1.6GHz CPU.
Still weaker than the OUYA setup (quad Cotex A9, Tegra3), but then OUYA is not out yet.

And yet, apparently it can run demanding Android games/apps too:
Dead Trigger on MK802III in native 1080p.

Zelda OoT on MK802III - Native 1080p full speed.

But I believe that by the time OUYA is released, those sticks could even outperform it.

2) as for the extra dev support, yeah I give you that, but nothing in the other thread made me go shutupandtakemymoney.jpg and there is no guarantee that those games will stay exclusive to the system since it's using standard components and a standard OS with their own layer over it.

3) But anyhow, I was replying to:
The bolded can be had now, for less money. The extra pad is not needed for most of us as Android supports bt pads (PS3, Wii) and even USB pads and then there the native Android games.

This looks like a terrible piece of shit. Did they seriously put a fan in a closed box?
It looks like there are vent slots towards the bottom of the device - look here on this upside-down device a lucky developer took a picture of:

A_OhBCYCIAAPkX8.jpg

Someone else said they saw some towards the top in the video.

You will have a potential market of 80,000-100,000 Ouya boxes versus 100 million+ Android smartphones.
There is already a guaranteed user base of 60,000 on day one, thanks to Kickstarter. You really think they'll only ever sell 20k to 40k more, ever? What exactly do you base that on? Is that based on the sales numbers of previous similar devices?

They had a number of large investors already pour tons of money into them, investors like the man who was in charge of the XBox project at Microsoft. The Kickstarter was only the last stage in funding, to pay for getting the software written and devices manufactured. That's why they only needed $950,000 (though they got $8.5 mill)

jrDev

What a pointless console.

Same thing could be said about the Vita.
Wow! Burn!
The vita do have double stick games on handheld.

Yup, most powerful handheld, only twin stick portable, only dual touchscreen console, utterly pointless.
Yup...pointless...
Please save us, giant international corporate conglomerates!
Damn!

Well, back on topic. Gonna get me a ouya with tax returns. :)

Reads just like the old slashdot threads hating on the iPod when it was introduced.

saunderez

Reads just like the old slashdot threads hating on the iPod when it was introduced.
Anyone who has experience with these cheap Android devices would know they're often unstable and next to completely unsupported once the next model comes out. I've been burned with 2 different Android set top boxes that had trouble running apps, crashed frequently etc and unless things have drastically changed in the past 6 months I'd rather a platform I know is going to be supported. Ouya will be because they want to make money off the storefront.

Anyone who has bought a Chinese tablet and had to rely on community roms knows what I'm talking about.

Social

I didn't invest but I won't hate on it at all. New possible exciting game changing devices should be welcomed by us all!

BrhysH

well for a hundred bucks, you could certainly do a lot worse:

Wii_Mini_1.jpg

Yeah, the Wii Mini is only available in Canada, but for $100.00 it lacks component video, online functionality and no virtual console access.. The Ouya is doing a lot better in those respects. I don't expect the Ouya to light the gaming world on fire either, but it does fill a nice niche for an open source game console. It is really just an Android box for your TV, nothing too wrong with that.

Wii mini plays nintendo games.... and some of the best gems this generation. Sure it only does composite but it Wii mini was designed for kids or grandparents not hardcore gamer jimmy.

Did I just read someone say most indie games suck in this thread? What a terrible statement to make. And what a great way to insult dozens and dozens of people who put their heart and soul into the games they really want to make.

Alchemy

Its only $99, some people are acting like they're investing in 10x that and have to immediately write it off because it lacks a past. Why don't we wait and see what it brings to the table before making any drastic judgments? At worst it is a Tegra 3 Android device that hooks up to your TV with a controller, I can think of worse ways to spend $99.

Card Boy

Banned
Its only $99, some people are acting like they're investing in 10x that and have to immediately write it off because it lacks a past. Why don't we wait and see what it brings to the table before making any drastic judgments? At worst it is a Tegra 3 Android device that hooks up to your TV with a controller, I can think of worse ways to spend $99.

Exactly. Im more intrested in this becoming a ROM playing device.

saunderez

Did I just read someone say most indie games suck in this thread? What a terrible statement to make. And what a great way to insult dozens and dozens of people who put their heart and soul into the games they really want to make.
Not to mention complete bullshit. Some of my favourite games of all time are indie games.

I WAS gonna get one of these for an XBMC box but I picked up a raspberry pi and love it so I'm in no hurry.

if the games for this start delivering after release and arent just the same casual timewasters i can play on my phone I'll probably get one. Doubtful though.

Carcetti

Well this console will be cool to play Android exclusives. And its so small that it will be pretty cool to see.

There are Android exclusives? I'm honestly asking, as I was under the impression everyone knew by now that Android users don't pay for games.

There are Android exclusives? I'm honestly asking, as I was under the impression everyone knew by now that Android users don't pay for games.
Eh I think Android piracy is probably overexaggerated a bit.

GTA 3 for example has sold 500k+ according to the Play store. Minecraft over a million.

Its true there are no exclusives though lol

Truespeed

That's just propaganda generated idiots and regurgitated by drones. A quick look at the Google Play store dispels that lie.

rpgb46

even if it fails, i have a low power media box for my tv, which will no doubt be crammed with emulators and roms

Top Bottom