• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows officer falsely telling citizen to stop recording him state law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Video shows WPD sergeant falsely telling citizen to stop recording him because of state law

Must see video at link.

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) -
A Wilmington police sergeant is shown on video instructing a citizen who was pulled over for a traffic stop that he is not allowed to record the interaction due to a new state law prohibiting the recording of police interactions.

Shortly after that, a New Hanover County Sheriff's deputy agrees with the officer that there is a new state law. There is no such law in North Carolina.

The video comes from defense attorney Jesse Bright, who also drives for Uber in his spare time. Bright said he was making a round trip for a customer on Feb. 26 and was stopped shortly after the passenger got back into the vehicle.

The passenger was asked to exit the vehicle and submit to a search. The location where Bright stopped was described as a "drug house" by an officer heard on the video.

When Bright kept recording the interaction, Wilmington Police Sergeant Kenneth Becker, confronted him and told him to stop recording.

In an interview Wednesday, Bright said he's confident the officers knew the information they were giving was false.

"They should know--I'm sure they do know--that it's legal to record police," Bright said.

Officer: Hey bud, turn that off, OK?

Driver: No, I'll keep recording. Thank you. It's my right.

Officer: Don't record me. You got me?

Driver: Look, you're a police officer on duty. I can record you.

Officer walks to driver's side of vehicle

Officer: Be careful because there is a new law. Turn it off or I'll take you to jail.

Driver: For recording you? What is the law?

Officer: Step out of the car.

Driver: What are you arresting me for? I'm sitting here in my car. I'm just recording in case anything happens. I'm surrounded by five police officers.

Officer: You're being a jerk.

Driver: I'm scared right now. I'm not being a jerk. I'm recording in case anything happens.

Officer: You better hope we don't find something in your car?

Driver: You're not searching my car?

Officer: I'm going to search your car.

Driver: You're not searching my car.

Officer calls for K-9 unit

Driver: Bring the K-9s. I don't care. I know my rights.

Officer: I hope so. I know what the law is.

Driver: I know the law. I'm an attorney, so I would hope I know what the law is.

Officer: And an Uber driver?
Bright said he decided to record because he was being asked several questions. He said after being told he would be taken to jail, Sergeant Becker attempted to open his door, but Bright said he held on tight and wouldn't let him in.

Linda Thompson with the Wilmington Police Department said an internal affairs investigation started last Friday, when police became aware of the incident involving the Mobile Field Force. She would not identify the sergeant involved and said police would not be able to comment until the investigation is over.

When asked if it's the policy of the Wilmington Police Department to instruct citizens that it is illegal to film traffic stops, Thompson said, "it is not."

Chief Ralph Evangelous issued the following statement Wednesday in response to the videos:

”Taking photographs and videos of people that are in plain sight including the police is your legal right. As a matter of fact we invite citizens to do so when they believe it is necessary. We believe that public videos help to protect the police as well as our citizens and provide critical information during police and citizen interaction."
The WPD stated that each officer will be given this statement to read as well.

Lt. Jerry Brewer with the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office said there is no internal investigation in that department because their deputy did not violate anything.

Brewer would not identify the deputy involved. He said it has been thoroughly ingrained in deputies that all their interactions are recorded on body cameras. A state law signed last year prevents the release of the video captured on the cameras without a court order.

A K-9 was brought in and apparently indicated the presence of narcotics, which led officers to do a full search of the vehicle.

Bright sent an email explaining what he says happened during the stop:

At that time, the K-9 unit arrived at scene. I repeatedly asked the Sergeant and the K-9 what the dog's indicator was, to indicate that he smelled narcotics in the vehicle. They refused to tell me. The K-9 lead the dog around my car 1 time, in which the dog did nothing but sniff the vehicle. He didn't seem to make any indication at all towards the vehicle, besides sniffing in the places that the K-9 told him to sniff. After the sniff was done, the Sgt immediately went into my vehicle without my permission, and did a full search, checking all areas of the car, and pulling everything out of the center console and glove box. During the search, I was told I had to let them search my body as well, which they did. He found absolutely nothing illegal in my vehicle, or my person, and eventually walked back to his car. Another officer told me that me and my Uber passenger were free to go.

Attorney records Wilmington officer lying about state law during traffic stop

man-uid14890301237774-320x240.jpg

A Wilmington police sergeant is shown on video instructing a citizen who was pulled over for a traffic stop that he is not allowed to record the interaction due to a new state law, but there is no such law in North Carolina.

Jesse Bright is an Uber driver on some days and a defense attorney on others.

”They should know, and I'm sure they do know, that it's legal to record the police," Bright said.

In February, Bright picked up a man who said he needed to pick up a check. On the way home, Bright saw blue lights behind him and several officers arrived to arrest his passenger.

Police told Bright he had taken the man to a drug house.

”They asked me a lot of questions so I started recording. At that point, he told me it's against the law to record the police and he was going to take me to jail," Bright said.

The officer tried to open Bright's car door, but Bright held it tight and never pressed stop on the recording.

A K9 unit was then called in to sniff out Bright's car, which police eventually searched, claiming the dog signaled narcotics were inside.

”Funny how he's real interested in your car," the officer can be heard saying in the video.

Bright said the dog never gave any signal.

”As far as I could tell, the dog just walked around sniffing where the owner told him to sniff, which was the two doors, and then once he was done they immediately went in to the car," Bright said.

Police didn't find anything inside Bright's car and both men walked away free that night.

Now, the ACLU is calling the video disturbing.

”What if this wasn't an attorney? What if he didn't know his rights? It is very concerning the Wilmington Police Department is conveying inaccurate information in that video. You have the right to film police," said Irena Como with the ACLU.

Bright said he believes the officers knew it was legal to film police but had a reason for why they wanted him to turn the camera off.

”If they only record of an incident is on their camera, they kind of control whether that gets released out. It's definitely in their best interest to have the only copy of a video," Bright said.

You can bet these guys didn't expect to pull over a lawyer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One thing that most will never mention is that a lot of drug sniffing dogs will respond to their master/owner/partner's body language, disposition, etc. If a cop thinks there is drugs in a car or elsewhere and the dog picks up on this, and they will because that's what they do, they will often give false positives to please their police officer. Its not a given and it doesn't happen all the time but it can be used by some cops, whether they are aware of the fact or not, to really hassle some people who are totally clean.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I love the drug search justified by faking canine evidence. Dude's going to take them to the cleaners if he sues.

Noaloha

I feel like the officer's "And an Uber driver?" speaks volumes about the dude's varying pull-over strategies.

Lie to a cop and you get charged with obstruction of justice; should be a felony if a cop lies on duty too.

And I'm not even going to get into all the BS with the K9

akira28

well now. I know none of this took place and that this driver is a liar. It's his word against the officer's.

Wait he's a white lawyer? Well now...this just became interestingly possible. It might have happened. Probably not, though.

Oh he has it on video? Well fuck.

We see policing used as a tool for harassment, control, potentially major violence if the circumstances allow. And we're paying for all of this shit. With our actual money from our wallets. They know how to get around the law, they know how to work around the constitutional protections of citizens. they know what lies to say to justify almost anything they could do.

And most of us are ok with this.

spootime

One thing that most will never mention is that a lot of drug sniffing dogs will respond to their master/owner/partner's body language, disposition, etc. If a cop thinks there is drugs in a car or elsewhere and the dog picks up on this, and they will because that's what they do, they will often give false positives to please their police officer. Its not a given and it doesn't happen all the time but it can be used by some cops, whether they are aware of the fact or not, to really hassle some people who are totally clean.

These K9 units are basically probable cause machines. There is no public record of the dogs and how well they perform. The courts have completely failed when it comes to this.

this_guy

Cops are supposed to uphold the law. If they don't know the law or want to make up their own it should be a fireable offense.

Dali

No wonder he's an uber driver. He seems like a pretty shitty attorney. He's singing like a canary when they ask what he's doing. He told the life story of his passenger trying to put himself in a better light when all he needed to say was not a damn thing.

akira28

Man don't put that shit on the dog of all things

Highly trained law enforcement dogs are super hard workers.

I like dogs too, but blaming how police abuse the use of them is not an indictment of the animals. It just goes to show how shitty police can be, using a trained and loyal dog to fabricate a cause for police action.

This makes me so happy. It's a white attorney. These fuckers aren't getting out this.

thank god for white people. for sure. lives that matter.

Cyan

Banned
Cops should already be familiar with the old "if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear" argument.

Cop sounds like he likes to stand in front of the mirror with his uniform on say things like "I am the law" to himself.

This shit is scary. Guranteed if certain parameters of this story were a shade different, that cop would have escalated this shit until someone got shot.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Cops should already be familiar with the old "if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear" argument.

They came up with a great retort: "Wait so you don't trust your police even though they put their lives on the line every day for you? SAD!"

commedieu

Banned
man I wish people could do this without getting dragged out of the car and beaten then shot.

It's cool to watch. Like how law works in a different reality. But it's something that most people can't do, and that's a severe problem. Everyone should be able to shut down police this way when they're being cunts without fear.

The problem is clear. He is treated like a citizen of a nation. And not an animal that needs to be put down in record time.

Tagyhag

The scary thing is what they would have done had the camera not been there.

I wonder if this was a quota mission.

I need to make sure to have a white friend every time I go driving. It might save my life one day.

I expect absolutely nothing to happen to the cop

sangreal

That transcript sounds straight out of 99 Problems

I love the drug search justified by faking canine evidence. Dude's going to take them to the cleaners if he sues.

pretty common problem because, while dogs can certainly sniff out drugs and other contraband, the police procedures simply rely on the cops interpreting the dogs "indications". They can get whatever result they want

what is the logic in there being a law not to record cops? if they DO do something dirty and a judge asks for proof how the fuck can you provide any if you're not even allowed to?

fuck this fucking system

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's good that the guy got this video of harassment.

I'm also pretty sure that if this guy was black, he'd be riddled with about three thousand bullet holes right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom