• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows officer falsely telling citizen to stop recording him state law

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsKrisp

Scumbag lying cop. Layering on the nonsense by assuming that all defense lawyers are rich and don't need to moonlight for Uber.

MsKrisp

Extending the vehicle stop to make the guy wait for the drug dog is unconstitutional. Cool.

Police can get away with a whole lot when it comes to vehicle searches. In my state, getting a driver's license means you agree to "implied consent" which means cops just need "probable suspicion" to search you without a court order. Basically, "Do you smell something funny?" "Your eyes are red" etc is enough.

KarmaCow

what is the logic in there being a law not to record cops? if they DO do something dirty and a judge asks for proof how the fuck can you provide any if you're not even allowed to?

fuck this fucking system

Of course in reality it's mostly used to hide evidence of wrong doing but I could understand in the cases where the cop is with or talking about another person possibly involved with the crime. If police departments could actually be held accountable, I'd rather they had body/dash cams that were always on and archived, but required court ordered permission to access.

I had a sheriff lie and try to tell me it was illegal to ash my cigarette in public, except he didn't give me a ticket. Is lying about the law a new cop thing?

dude tried doubling down even after he found out the guy was a lawyer. Bad, bad move.

Having had my own experience with being pulled over by cops that were dead set on arresting me for non-existent marijuana, I 100% am familiar with cops doubling down to save face.

I've had a cop use a K-9 to search my car before. He jerked on the dog's chain so hard it yelped and jumped up, then he yelled, "He indicated! He indicated!" They were very suspicious of the newspaper bags I kept in my car for trash, and seemed to think an old yogurt-encrusted spoon was some kind of drug paraphernalia.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've had a cop use a K-9 to search my car before. He jerked on the dog's chain so hard it yelped and jumped up, then he yelled, "He indicated! He indicated!" They were very suspicious of the newspaper bags I kept in my car for trash, and seemed to think an old yogurt-encrusted spoon was some kind of drug paraphernalia.

Nothing gets you higher than Greek Yogurt.

Just to add to how much the police twisted the law here, they were as out of line with the dog search as they were with the recording. They called the K9 in well after the stop had been initiated, and the Supreme Court struck down expanding the length of stops to bring in a K-9 unit back in 2015.

That search most likely wouldn't have even been admissible, it was straight harrassment and fishing for an arrest. It makes it even more clear that either 1) those cops are deliberately disregarding the law to harrass people, or 2) they are comically incompetent in regards to people's rights, either of which is inexcusable and fucking scary.

JZA

I wish there was some kind of reliable quick law search app or something. I really hope this becomes national news.

The scary thing is what they would have done had the camera not been there.

I wonder if this was a quota mission.

I think a lot of stops start that way, and then turn into something else once they feel their authority has been questioned in any possible way.

jami5shp.png

akira28

you gotta assume that there is just so much pain and hate and resentment under the badge, when they're wasting thousands of dollars, calling their cosplay buddies up, bring out their police pets, and portraying some major crime drama. All while digging through the trash you forgot about under your passenger seat.

"I'm gonna need some backup, and some crime dogs. I need to intimidate this person who damaged my already shaky self-confidence. Lets see if we can put him in jail because I hate so much about my life and am not even aware of it." Gotta "fight crime".

On the contrary, we're probably months away from a Trump executive order outlawing the filming of active police officers.

You joke but I have zero doubt that Sessions is prepping some shit that does make it illegal or makes video shot of the police inadmissible in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom