• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

dude

dude
Supervlieg said:
I dont know if it has been mentioned allready.

monkey1103jw.jpg

Guybrush in the Monkey island games was named so because the brush in the software used to draw the frames of his animation was named "guybrush"

Edit:Head blown at @ cloudbush and fedex
At least get it right: His sprite file was named "guy" until they could think of a better name, and the file filename extension for the program was brush, thus - guy.brush, so his nickname by the team was Guybrush, which they later used for the game. Threepwood was a name for a RPG character of one of the guys working on the game, if I remember correctly.

Chris R

SuperAngelo64 said:
Each Pokemon game takes place in a different area of Japan.

[IG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh108/SuperAngelo64/pokemonhoenn.png[/IMG]
[IG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh108/SuperAngelo64/Johto.png[/IMG]
[IG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh108/SuperAngelo64/sinnoh.png[/IMG]
[IG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh108/SuperAngelo64/Kanto.png[/IMG]
Combine them all to make the Pokemon MMO WE DESERVE NOW

Ezduo said:
The bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just recolored clouds.

smb.jpg

Originally, the designers wanted Mario's hair to react according to his moves and the air and whatnot, but technical issues prevented the programmers to show such effect satisfactorily. To solve this, they gave Mario his trademark cap.

Dali

Philanthropist said:
I guess this belongs here.

There are plenty of games that were meant to be released on other platforms. Is anyone willing to compile a list?

DMC4, Lost Planet, FFXIII and Resistance: Fall of Man were all going to be PS2 games, for instance.

I posted this in response to your Ico post in the other thread. I thought it was common knowledge, but I'll put it here anyway.

Dali said:
That was news to you? In that case, did you know Onimusha also started out as a Playstation game? I think it was close to being completed too, but Capcom decided to move it to the PS2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOFYZ5Cm2I

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Philanthropist said:
Originally, the designers wanted Mario's hair to react according to his moves and the air and whatnot, but technical issues prevented the programmers to show such effect satisfactorily. To solve this, they gave Mario his trademark cap.
He also uses overalls that contrast with his sleeves to help in the animation of his arm motions. The sleeves are of the same color of his shirt and without the overalls the arms would disappear during the movements.

xeicra.png

Philanthropist said:

Alaluef said:
He also uses overalls that contrast with his sleeves to help in the animation of his arm motions. The sleeves are of the same color of his shirt and without the overalls the arms would disappear during the movements.

2i6hox2.png

Not to be a dick or anything, but both of these facts are from Donkey Kong, not Super Mario Bros.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Coolio McAwesome said:
Did you know that you actually fight Metroids in Kid Icarus? (Although they are called Komayto instead.) The manual theorizes that they may have come from another planet. Apparently, Komayto means "baby Metroid" but I can't say for certain.

Baby Metroids, as seen in the game:
KI1.gif

Baby Metroids, as seen in the manual:
KI3.jpg
ko is prefixed to the words for an animal to indicate it in baby form. For example dog and cat to make puppy and kitten. ( inu -> koinu, neko -> koneko)

Cutting kometoroido to kometo and then changing it to komayto to get the pronunciation more or less right in English makes perfect sense.

SappYoda

Supervlieg said:
I dont know if it has been mentioned allready.

monkey1103jw.jpg

Guybrush in the Monkey island games was named so because the brush in the software used to draw the frames of his animation was named "guybrush"

Edit:Head blown at @ cloudbush and fedex

I think that was confirmed not being true.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd never seen photos of this one:

Nintendo was originally going to use Nintendo characters in Wii Sports.

wiisportsproto01.jpg

via Unseen64

dude said:
At least get it right: His sprite file was named "guy" until they could think of a better name, and the file filename extension for the program was brush, thus - guy.brush, so his nickname by the team was Guybrush, which they later used for the game. Threepwood was a name for a RPG character of one of the guys working on the game, if I remember correctly.

Gah, the internet corrects me once more!

Also the sword fighting insults in that game were written by Orson Scott Card, author of Ender's Game.

I think the MJ similarity has been mentioned several times, but it is mind blowing none of the less. I'm guessing the MJ similarities are just a halfway-start for Sega using commercialized sound tracks in Sonic games.

Oh, hey. This means that a Michael Jackson song is in Brawl?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
dogmaan said:
I don't get it?

Nero was the emperor during the time of the Great Fire of Rome and was said to have just sat back and played a musical instrument whilst watching it burn.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
M°°nblade said:
Everybody will probably still remember the super mario galaxy 'UR GAY' boxcover, but it deserves to be in this thread.
U R MR GAY, show some respect, will you.

DangerStepp

indi said:
The Metal Gear Saga DVD's interview with Kojima had some interesting stuff in it. Such as him calling the NES port of Metal Gear "complete garbage."
Where can I get this Metal Gear Saga DVD? MGS3: Subsistance?

Also, it may be common knowledge, but for those who don't know:

Sony and Nintendo were originally going to team together to develop a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES. The catalyst for the team-up was the fact that the SNES used a Sony chip set, which gave the SNES it's superior sound . Unfortunately, due to Nintendo's greediness, conflict erupted between the two companies causing Sony to pull out at the last minute and scrapping the idea in the process. Sony decided to take their own route and develop their own system sans the help of Nintendo, thus giving birth to the original Playstation.

Ever wonder why the Playstation controller bears a striking resemblance to the SNES's? There's your answer.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
DangerStepp said:
Where can I get this Metal Gear Saga DVD? MGS3: Subsistance?

It came as a bonus for those who pre-ordered the MGS3: Subsistance Limited Edition in North America.

It's marked as "Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1", so here's hoping that they release more. I could listen to Kojima talk about MGS for hours, as he's the kind of guy who always has interesting ideas.

DangerStepp said:
Sony and Nintendo were originally going to team together to develop a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES. The catalyst for the team-up was the fact that the SNES used a Sony chip set, which gave the SNES it's superior sound . Unfortunately, due to Nintendo's greediness, conflict erupted between the two companies causing Sony to pull out at the last minute and scrapping the idea in the process. Sony decided to take their own route and develop their own system sans the help of Nintendo, thus giving birth to the original Playstation.

The story started with the SNES sound processor, which was created by Ken Kutaragi. The Sony Corporation as a whole didn't care about video gaming and couldn't care less, but Kutaragi saw the potential continued to beg for funding for the sound chip, and later for the SNES CD-ROM add-on. When that idea died, he begged them again to continue developing it into the PlayStation. And the rest, as they say, is history.

SpacLock

I don't know how popular this secret is, but in Mega Man 3 on the NES, if you plug in a second controller and give it to your friend, he can hold down certain button combinations that will make Mega Man jump over 5x higher, put the enemies in slow motion and grant you invincibility.

I remember falling into endless death pits on accident and being able to jump back out.

megaman3.jpg

(picture just for looks)

Jasoco

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
Not to be a dick or anything, but both of these facts are from Donkey Kong, not Super Mario Bros.
This is true.

DavidDayton said:
I think it's interesting that they reverted to a DK style sprite for Mario after Mario Bros..
I like to think that the reason Mario had an orangish brown shirt and red overalls in SMB was because the blue overalls would have clashed with the blue sky (And water later). Whereas in Mario Bros and DK, Mario was against a black background the entire time.

It was basically a contrast thing. Though by the time SMB2 came along they had figured out a character design good enough to color how they wanted him.

Though oddly, even though they used a dark dark blue for SMB2's Mario and Luigi, they reverted to a black overalls for SMB3. Which made Mario blend in with the nighttime backdrops. (I think Mario looks kinda cool in black and red. That should be a palette swap for Smash Bros.)

Mario%20Through%20the%20Ages.jpg

SpacLock said:
I don't know how popular this secret is, but in Mega Man 3 on the NES, if you plug in a second controller and give it to your friend, he can hold down certain button combinations that will make Mega Man jump over 5x higher, put the enemies in slow motion and grant you invincibility.

I remember falling into endless death pits on accident and being able to jump back out.

megaman3.jpg

(picture just for looks)
Wow cheats are really blowing my mind :eek:
no they don't

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Jasoco said:
I like to think that the reason Mario had an orangish brown shirt and red overalls in SMB was because the blue overalls would have clashed with the blue sky (And water later). Whereas in Mario Bros and DK, Mario was against a black background the entire time.

I meant the actual character art and design more than the color scheme. SMB returned to a dinky little Mario sprite, after Mario Bros. used a larger, more detailed character.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DangerStepp said:
Unfortunately, due to Nintendo's greediness, conflict erupted between the two companies causing Sony to pull out at the last minute and scrapping the idea in the process.
That's not quite correct. It was Nintendo which pulled out at the last minute -- due to unease about licensing issues in the contract -- and made a deal with Phillips. Sony was completely taken by surprise by the whole thing.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
JzeroT1437 said:
How in the hell does that thing on the right look even remotely like Julius Caesar? Seriously. Somebody explain it to me.

And the one on the left is a Zora. Look in your manuals and find a Zora head, then look at the statue.

Still looks like JC to me. then again it took me years to realize the Dead Kennedys logo was the letters d and k...
Poster_14181.jpg

Prime Blue said:
You can't?

Don't even try to escape to the "acceptable quality" statement.

I knew someone would bring that up. What you probably don't know is that they actually couldn't fit everything from the PS1 version in a N64 cartridge, let alone in the original quality. There was an article about this in an old Game Developer mag (September 2000 I believe). There is a noticeable drop in quality in scenes and dialogue compared to the original PlayStation version and certain "duplicate" FMV scenes were also removed, resulting in continuity errors such as Leon and Claire getting off on the wrong side of the police car in the 2nd Scenario and Ada speaking to Annette in Claire's voice. I believe it also lacked the door animations.

Now, MGS1 is longer (both RE2 discs could be completed in less than 2 hours each), it has a LOT more dialogue and music than RE2, it doesn't have nearly as much redundant data spread over the two discs like RE2 did, has some FMV footage (I'm not talking about cutscenes, you MGS fans know what I'm talking about as I don't want to spoil it), etc. MGS has a lot more content than RE2 ever had, and RE2 still had to be downgraded on the N64 because of storage constraints.

Wanna try again?

Kccitystar

human5892 said:
That's not quite correct. It was Nintendo which pulled out at the last minute -- due to unease about licensing issues in the contract -- and made a deal with Phillips. Sony was completely taken by surprise by the whole thing.

Nintendo found out in Sony's contract that they would have complete control over anything released on this new SNES-CD format, so they got pissed and sent I think it was Howard Lincoln and someone else, I forget his name, to Europe to strike a deal with Phillips.

In a sense it was a big FUCK YOU to Sony.

anyway, did you guys know that Sega's Windows CE environment had motivated Microsoft to enter the video game market years later with the XBOX?

the_zombie_luke said:
Nope, the door animations are in the 64 version of RE2, unfortunately.
I see. Well, they did have a game purpose although they were mostly a way to hide the loading times. Inappreciable loading times were easily the best advantage of cartridges and the game design didn't allow that feature to shine.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
oh if you look at n64 boxes, first party titles were made from more recycled post consumer content than 3rd party.

This happens when you go to the video rental store and look over every single game for something you havent played yet

Darunia said:
This may be widely known but I was pleasantly surprised as a fan: in Killer7, all the notes you get are named after songs of The Smiths

Wow, I didn't think anyone else noticed that. Respect.

Jasoco

Banned
DavidDayton said:
I meant the actual character art and design more than the color scheme. SMB returned to a dinky little Mario sprite, after Mario Bros. used a larger, more detailed character.
I'd say it was to keep with the whole 16x16 sized blocks (Tiles) scheme NES games had in spades. Mario Bros and DK could be more flexible because there wasn't really any obstacles in Mario's way. It was all flat floors and enemies. SMB brought out the ability to be small and big and have Mario fit through small areas. If they kept the original sprites they'd be out of place.

SpacLock said:

Sounds like they forgot (or maybe it was intentional) to remove the debug cheats out of the game.

Yesmar

Love this topic.

The only thing I have is from FFVIII:

Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec = Anagram for two of the themes of FFVIII.

"Succession of Witches + Love"

Top Bottom