• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
How in the hell did I miss this:

ckohler said:
Did you know that the ending theme to Sonic 2 is based off a real song with lyrics?

When Sonic 2 rolled around, Nakamura's band has become wildly popular and the band's sound would influence the game's music even more. This time, the ending song for the game would be the song "Sweet Sweet Dreams" on the band's latest album title "The Swinging Star" released the same year. This album would go on to be the most popular selling album in Japanese music history for the next several years.

> > Download and listen for yourself!

Consider my mind blown. I love that song from Sonic 2.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Here's two that I noticed a looooong time ago but was only recently reminded of.

In Okami:

1. Onigiri Sensei's henshin dance (when his head spins around) is almost exactly the same as Viewtiful Joe's henshin. His eyebrows even resemble Joe's "V."

2. The ink bottles are flipped and redrawn V-Juice bottles:

okami-20060404024021005.jpg

viewtifuljoe_062403_18.jpg

webrunner

Struct09 said:
I'm sure a number of people here already know this one, but some might not.

Conker's Bad Fur Day was originally going to be a completely cute and innocent platformer named Conker Twelve Tales.

Here's a video of the beta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNuIKBgZMcw

I think the market was saturated with cute platformers at the time, so Rare decided to take a different approach. I'm glad they did, Conker's BFD was awesome.

The interesting thing about this, there was a Gameboy Color game called Conker's Pocket Tale's.. it's sort of a spinoff of the N64 game that never saw the light of day. It actually got released, before they decided to change the direction, so there is something of Conker's old ways out there.

batbeg

webrunner said:
The interesting thing about this, there was a Gameboy Color game called Conker's Pocket Tale's.. it's sort of a spinoff of the N64 game that never saw the light of day. It actually got released, before they decided to change the direction, so there is something of Conker's old ways out there.

My friend had that game, it was really fun.

Neo Child

Banned
I love this thread.

I love all these gaming secrets/signs/beta shit. Hell I spent days just looking up as much Sonic 2 Beta stuff I could find e.g Wood Zone, Genocide City (the name actually freaks me out) and the Crystal Palace Zone.

Mario's black overalls are likely more of a pixel art improvision than an attempt at true accuracy, as black contrasts better against most backgrounds, and on black backgrounds Mario's other colors let him stand out. Not to mention black outlines can look pretty good if done right.

I believe the All-Stars versions of pretty much all four Super Mario Bros. games correct the overalls in the sprites, and there's a Japan-only version of All Stars that includes Mario World, and Luigi's sprite AND jumping ability was changed in the All Stars version of Mario World (TMK likely has more info on this).

Threi

notag
batbeg said:
A simple google search will tell you guys he's making it up. It'd be somewhere on the internet if true.
not only that, whichever name is in quotations refers to the name the person is most commonly known as. Sephiroth isn't commonly known as Robert.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
KittenMaster said:
there's a Japan-only version of All Stars that includes Mario World, and Luigi's sprite AND jumping ability was changed in the All Stars version of Mario World (TMK likely has more info on this).

Actually, I believe that cart is only available in America. I have a copy of it, myself.

The Hermit

Cheerilee

Hmmm.... I think I found one for this thread.

In Lunar: SSSC for the Saturn/PSX/PC, the Goddess Althena's outfit was originally supposed to show more skin than even Dark Althena's racy outfit, but then it was censored.

Her original outfit apparently had her wearing nothing more than a long white cloth draped across her chest, crossed behind her back, and draped across her arms, and a purple/blue scarf tied around her waist. After it was animated, somebody apparently thought it went a little too far (even though she might actually have been overdressed by Goddess of Love/Beauty standards), so they had her midriff and legs colored red (and most likely a drawn navel erased), suggesting that she was wearing some kind of strapless red gown under what now became merely her accessories (I don't think red is a good color for her, and it clashes with her "belt").

Since the censorship was last-minute, a few frames were missed.

25ovr7l.png

2rmbmf8.png

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
True Story:
I was Starbucks tonight and I saw that "my kid was on meth" book and TOTALLY dropped the "that's the guy who wrote GAME OVER..." (what?) "and the last guy to interview John Lennon" megabomb. I got 4 quality nods of appreciation and at least one jaw-drop.

Thank you GAF.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
KittenMaster said:
I believe the All-Stars versions of pretty much all four Super Mario Bros. games correct the overalls in the sprites, and there's a Japan-only version of All Stars that includes Mario World, and Luigi's sprite AND jumping ability was changed in the All Stars version of Mario World (TMK likely has more info on this).
I have a US All*Stars+SMW cart. Luigi has a new sprite and jumping. I don't know where else this cart was released I believe it was packed in with SNES consoles sometime after the release of SMAS

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I always wondered why the SMB2 box had a mattel logo on it. seeing it here reminded me. Anyone know?

batbeg

scola said:
I always wondered why the SMB2 box had a mattel logo on it. seeing it here reminded me. Anyone know?

Some sort of distribution deal with Nintendo, by the looks of things.

anyone else remember the "FUN" letters in Super Mario 64?

Behind the wall in the American version we got a "F"

In Japan they got a "N"

And in Europe they got a "U"

I can take pics later if you want to see.

bridegur

Is this really what Banjo-Kazooie originally looked like (Project Dream)? It looks incredible for an N64 game. Also, are there more screens of it?

projectdreambanjoproto.jpg

bridegur said:
Is this really what Banjo-Kazooie originally looked like (Project Dream)? It looks incredible for an N64 game. Also, are there more screens of it?

projectdreambanjoproto.jpg

The original title for Banjo-Kazooie was "Dream". This I know. And I remember when it was unveiled. The pic you posted, I have no idea where it came from.

DarthWaiter said:

In Japan they got a "N"

What the hell? Need pics please.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DarthWaiter said:

In Japan they got a "N"

Eh? Behind what wall?

DarthWaiter said:

In Japan they got a "N"

Night_Trekker said:
What the hell? Need pics please.

This is the American version, and is the only version of Super Mario 64 that I have access to. Just go behind the door with the 3 stars on it (the first snow stage) and go right up to the stage painting. Position the camera to see behind the painting and you will see it.

You will see the letter F. Its different for other releases; Japanese and PAL.

It spells out FUN. The N64 was called the FUN Machine internally for quite awhile.

Its in Super Mario 64 on the N64 and on the Virtual Console. Not sure about the DS release. I'm about to check

just took some pics:

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

I just checked Super Mario 64 DS. "F" is not there. It was either taken out because the DS is region free or because its running on an entirely different engine and design compared to the original.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well it blowed my mind. So I checked it for wanting to be blowed again when I can see it with my own eyes on my own tv.
So yeah. VC SM64 Europe has the F.
Which seems to be the same as the ntsc american SM64.
My guess is that they havent put up 3 completely different version of sm64, but 3 times the same with different language settings to safe some work? or space online?

Toma said:
Well it blowed my mind. So I checked it for wanting to be blowed again when I can see it with my own eyes on my own tv.
So yeah. VC SM64 Europe has the F.
Which seems to be the same as the ntsc american SM64.
My guess is that they havent put up 3 completely different version of sm64, but 3 times the same with different language settings to safe some work? or space online?

so i guess its only on the original release of Mario 64 and not the virtual console.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nexus Zero said:
That FUN thing's awesome, but Biggoron Sword? Are you lot blind?

Thats the catch to it. Things you should have seen but you didnt. Cloudbushes, FedEx Arrow... Sometimes you just cant see it because you arent expecting anything like that. But WHEN you can finally see it you cant unsee it :D

tnw

Banned
Toma said:
Thats the catch to it. Things you should have seen but you didnt. Cloudbushes, FedEx Arrow... Sometimes you just cant see it because you arent expecting anything like that. But WHEN you can finally see it you cant unsee it :D

amirite is actually 'am I right'

:O

Haunted

ggnoobIGN said:
Biggoron Sword = BIG GORON SWORD

Holy crap. Just found this out.
MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE

!! How... how could I not see this? That's just shameful. Going to kill myself, brb.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Nexus Zero said:
That FUN thing's awesome, but Biggoron Sword? Are you lot blind?
I have played through OoT a countless amount of times. How I never noticed this, I will never know.

Biggoron.jpg

It all makes sense now.

Top Bottom