• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ggnoobIGN said:
I have played through OoT a countless amount of times. How I never noticed this, I will never know.

Biggoron.jpg

It all makes sense now.

I...I'm still not getting how you couldn't have noticed (assuming you're not joking). I mean, you get the sword from the friggin big goron HIMSELF!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There are actually two different kinds of rupees in the whole Zelda franchise. (full credit goes to Xelados Nafshir of Pixelation):

rupee-difference.png

fusoya59

woxel1 said:
144Articuno.png

Articuno

140px-145Zapdos.png

Zapdos

140px-146Moltres.png

Moltres

Mind blown?
I remember reading about that. I wish I can remember what article I read it from. Good find though!

Edit: I dunno if this counts but, is it just me, or is the small "f" taller than the big "F" in this forum? ex. GAFfer

Miniboss1232 said:
The really sad thing is that when the same hint is given in Phantom Hourglass, I assumed it meant to use the arrows. :| Mostly because hint manuals at the time of the first Zelda said that the arrows made a loud "whizzing" sound, which is what the game manual was talking about when it said they hate loud noises. Grrrr.
Haha, I thought the same but with bombs on them since I figured they would have a fairly loud blast. It was pretty effective but not for the reason I was thinking as a kid. LOL

Keru_Shiri said:
I know DKC2 had a screen at the end that compared you to Mario and Yoshi based on the number of DK coins you collected. There was indeed a pair of Sonic's sneakers, as well as Earthworm Jim's blaster rifle next to a trash can labled "No Hopers." If I find a pic, I'll post it.

EDIT: Found it:
1737488272.gif
That screen still cracks me up till this day. First time I saw it, I laughed at Link which reminded me alot of Phillips CDi Link with all the retarded muscle flexing he was doing. Than I saw the trash and immediately recognized Sonic's sneakers. I wasn't sure about the blaster then (I loved Earthworm Jim games) till much later.

jman2050 said:
How the hell did you all not catch the Pokemon bird names right away? :lol

!Yo no comprendo Espanol!

Es un lenguaje muy dificil, ?si?

While we're on the topic of Pokemon with numbers, did you know that Mewtwo?

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Pokemon loves their numbers...

birds = uno dos tres

mew/mewtwo

missingno = missing number

it goes on and on!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ggnoobIGN said:
I have played through OoT a countless amount of times. How I never noticed this, I will never know.

Biggoron.jpg

It all makes sense now.

Want to really blow your mind?

This screenshot isn't from Ocarina.

Dali

woxel1 said:
[IM]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/4/4e/144Articuno.png[/IMG]
Articuno

[IM]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/thumb/e/e3/145Zapdos.png/140px-145Zapdos.png[/IMG]
Zapdos

[IMGhttp://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/thumb/1/1b/146Moltres.png/140px-146Moltres.png[/IMG]
Moltres

Mind blown?

Street Fighter characters (golf terms)

birdie.png

Birdie

10qjkeu.jpg

Eagle

Also Birdie looked like a white guy in the original Street Fighter, but he's obviously not white in the Alpha series. Apparently this is because he was sick during the first Street Fighter.

2rygak8.gif

victory quote said:
Oh, I was pale before because I was sick!

lyre

TheGreatDave said:
Pokemon naming conventions are a thing of genius. Did you know Abra becomes Kadabra who becomes Alakazam?! Wow!
The guy who was popular from bending spoons with his mind tried to sue Nintendo once because of this. He found out when some kid tried to have him autograph one of the Abra family playing cards or something.

Want to really blow your mind?

This screenshot isn't from Ocarina.
I thought it would have been obvious. Big Goron is a LOT bigger than that. :p

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
industrian said:
How in the hell did I miss this:

Consider my mind blown. I love that song from Sonic 2.

holy crap! that music is on the 2-player options screen too, my favourite piece of music from the sonic games.

Yowza

This is going on a slight tangent, but let's just say everyone plays the DBZ budokai tenkaichi games to death:

Like many Dragon Ball characters Buu's name is part of a joke. When placed with his creators Bibidi and Babidi, the names phonetically form the phrase, "Bibidi Babidi Buu" — a parody of the song "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" — featured in Disney's Cinderella

If people are claiming to be so blown away by things like Biggoron and the pokemon numbering, the Cinderella Buu thing will likely generate similar responses.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do you know that having a 6 and a 9 of the same colour in poker is the 69th best starting hand you can get? :-O

...talking about useless knowledge :lol
hmmm... actually... is there a thread about useless knowledge you know but others dont? :D

Anyone ever knew that the mazes of the first Zelda could be put together into a rectangle?

Zeldaknot.jpg

cool? No? well, watch this. If you take the mazes of the second run through said game you would get this (Although they are not in the correct order):

zelda2nd.jpg

bengraven

Dali said:
Also Birdie looked like a white guy in the original Street Fighter, but he's obviously not white in the Alpha series. Apparently this is because he was sick during the first Street Fighter.

2rygak8.gif

Actually, isn't that "Mike" aka "Bison" aka "Balrog" in the American versions?

1) Ocarina of time:

After meeting Princess Zelda for the first time as Child Link, a peek into a nearby window at different angles reveals three very interesting portraits decorating the wall of Hyrule Castle - say hello to Super Mario, Bowser and Luigi.

2rdditk.jpg

jman2050

Anasui Kishibe said:
1) Ocarina of time:

After meeting Princess Zelda for the first time as Child Link, a peek into a nearby window at different angles reveals three very interesting portraits decorating the wall of Hyrule Castle - say hello to Super Mario, Bowser and Luigi.

2rdditk.jpg

Okay, now THAT'S awesome.

Wark

Anasui Kishibe said:
1) Ocarina of time:

What the hell? My game is different or something. Is it a different version or something?

BlackSnakeZelda.png

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Anasui Kishibe said:
Anyone ever knew that the mazes of the first Zelda could be put together into a rectangle?

cool? No? well, watch this. If you take the mazes of the second run through said game you would get this (Although they are not in the correct order):

We hit that on the second page. I actually think the 2nd quest image is mine.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Anasui Kishibe said:
nothing on the second page about this matter

just sayin', maybe its some page further

Sorry, fourth page. I have it set to 100 posts/page. Forgot the default was 50.

Trakdown

Dali said:
Street Fighter characters (golf terms)

Birdie

Eagle

Eagle also has a few moves named after golf terms, i.e."St. Andrews Green".

Less apparent is that Adon and Sagat are both named after felines: Sagat= Tiger, Adon= Jaguar in Thai.

The Hermit

Whoa can´t beleive people didn´t knew about the origin of the 3 legendary birds: artic, zap and molten plus numbers...
The same with Mew2 since he´s a clone of Mew.

ElFly

Chris Michael said:
The big picture: she started out as the anonymous blue fox from Dinosaur Planet, an original IP created by Nintendo owned, UK based developer, Rare. She ended up a "veteran" Starfox character, right up there with the 64 originals like Peppy, Falco, etc.

Epic lateness, but StarFox started in the SNES, not in the N64.

256px-Star_Fox_SNES.jpg

MIND = BLOWN

bjork

doogles said:
Mother Brain is almost directly above the Morph Ball. Like you're coming full circle or something.

Isn't there a way to glitch from the ceiling energy tank near the game's start, up into the area with the actual Metroids?

jman2050

doogles said:
Mother Brain is almost directly above the Morph Ball. Like you're coming full circle or something.

The funny part is that this directly correlates with the map in Super Metroid (and later Zero Mission to a degree), where in the beginning you move through the destroyed ruins of Mother Brain's old chamber and take an elevator down to what was the start of the original game, with the morph ball safely sitting in the exact same spot to the left.

Top Bottom