• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

KongRudi

Banned
Chris Michael said:
what are some facts about videogames or the videogame industry that just make you go "wow"?

When Microsoft skipped 358 console generations, I said "wow" (and tought something like; This monster must crush my PC!!)

Dunno if it has been mentioned here, but in International Karate + on the Amiga, you could press T on the keyboard, and the fighters would loose their trousers, down on their knees before pulling them back up..
That were pretty funny I tought.. :)

M3wThr33

Banned
Reilly said:
Never thought there were actually people inside those turrets. They don't take up people points do they?
God no. That would have sucked.

In a similar vein, in Total Annihilation, it was people in robot suits vs. robots with brains copied from people.

in Doom 3, get the mission to retrieve the plasma device to operate the teleporter.
When you are almost in front of the room where it is kept, look around you, there is an office of Andy Chang, as the sign says. Enter it, kill the zombie, then look at the computer, under the UAC logo there is data writing, one of the lines says: "c::Scanning data > load esta.og > ld" (it's "ld", not "id").

Read esta.og backwards

Maybe some people remember this fact, maybe they don't. But it's cool enough to re-iterate for those that weren't around during our next-gen console talks a few years ago.

Xbox 360 received it's name for two reasons. Microsoft looked at the competition and figured that between:
Playstation 3 (THREE) and Nintendo's Revolution (code name), that Xbox2 would seem dated and undesirable if placed on the same shelf.

Therefore, 360 is a full revolution and it has the number 3 in it. I always find this fact to be amazing.

Haunted

zoukka said:
I can't see the letter any more :(
what letter?
:p

Hazaro said:
Ok, I'm posting this here, simply because out of mindless hours slaving at building these things, on custom maps and not, I have never noticed this.

1zz54zq.jpg
Holy shit! Mind blown again.

Tendo

RotBot said:
This isn't quite Chrono Trigger/Rick Astley or Mega Man/Journey, but I randomly started humming Telepopmusik's Breathe to myself while listening to Chrono Corridor from the Brink of Time album a few years ago (when that Mitsubishi commercial was running). So I tried laying them over each other in ACID, and it turned out pretty well.
Wow thats awesome indeed. I love the CT soundtrack. Never gets old.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Not game-related, but some subliminal message freaks swear to God that the flipped Coca-Cola logo says "alo Diabo" ("hello Devil" in Portuguese).

mspub4.gif

I love this kind of stuff, haha :p

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Jiguryo said:
Not game-related, but some subliminal message freaks swear to God that the flipped Coca-Cola logo says "alo Diabo" ("hello Devil" in Portuguese).

mspub4.gif

RotBot

Jiguryo said:

mspub4.gif

Seeing a 'b' there is a bit of a stretch.

some funny fighting games stuff

the character of M.Bison has been completely copied from the Riki-Oh manga (1988)

vega01.gif
washizaki01.jpg

vega02.gif
washizaki02.jpg

same goes for Bryan Fury (Tekken 4) and Roy Batty from Blade Runner

144191425_3dff483c71.jpg
brsm_roy_batty.jpg

roybrian.jpg

Guile is also a ripoff of a Jojo's character (awesome manga)

stroheim2.jpg

what about Feilong's director in his ending movie? Does he look like someone else?

director.jpg
spielberg.jpg

beerbelly

Banned
Has this been mentioned yet? :p

Perfect Dark 64's N64 logo turns into "Pd". I've always wondered why "N" was behind the "Perfect Dark" name.

11w98v7.jpg

Lobster

Banned
beerbelly said:
Has this been mentioned yet? :p

Perfect Dark 64's N64 logo turns into "Pd". I've always wondered why "N" was behind the "Perfect Dark" name.

11w98v7.jpg

Oh shit.

I wonder if Microsoft reads GAF?

Haunted

Anasui Kishibe said:
some funny fighting games stuff

the character of M.Bison has been completely copied from the Riki-Oh manga (1988)

vega01.gif
washizaki01.jpg

vega02.gif
washizaki02.jpg
:eek: :eek:

Not sure about that Guile. I've read Jojo and never noticed. That could also be a stereotypical military haircut.

The Blade Runner one is pretty well known, I think.

Gargantua_koopa.PNG

Koopa means "poop" in Polish. You could imagine my confusion as a non-English speaking child playing Mario. I'm not sure about the spelling but it's pronounced exactly the same.

pgtl_10

1. Nintendo is part owner of the Atlanta Hawks.

2. Yamauchi was forced to marry his wife and his grandfather neglected Yamauchi only to surprise everyone by naming Yamauchi his successor.

3. Mario Bros. first console game was on Atari and it was published by Atari.

pgtl_10 said:
1. Nintendo is part owner of the Atlanta Hawks.

2. Yamauchi was forced to marry his wife and his grandfather neglected only to surprise everyone by naming Yamauchi his successor.

Whaaa...? They couldn't buy into a better franchise?

pgtl_10

Gagaman said:
Haha wow, wasn't there also a screen in one of the DKC games featuring a "Top 3 heroes" starring Mario Donkey Kong and Link, and Sonic's sneakers sitting by a sign saying "No Hopers"?

Also, this reminds me of the PS1/Dreamcast Spiderman game in which if you typed a swear word, Spiderman would give it a slap. :lol

DKC 2 there was an Earthwormjim gun next to the trash can as well.

inconspic

em.. not sure if this has been added in this little trivia thread, that has probably gone a million different directions since it's inception, but does anyone remember that bungie originally developed Halo for the PS2?

Interesting how these things come about.

interesting also that the cute fuzzy Banjo Kazooie isn't Nintendo IP, as he fits the whole nintendo universe of characters so nicely (not that I'm trying to suggest they're a kiddy brand, as a 27 year old nintendo lover, who loves the cube and dislikes the wii).

pgtl_10

I know this is off-topic but in the movie The Longest Yard there is part where Adam Sandler tells the prison warden that his college football team use to play 1-AA teams to get guaranteed wins. He specifically mention Appalachian State as the only example for 1-AA team.

I just found this thread appropriate to mention the irony.

The Hermit

Alfarif said:
The Rick Astley song used to Rick Roll people is ALSO a Chrono Trigger song... ROBO'S THEME SONG IN FACT!!! MIND BLOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZr3JWYdy8 - Paint Roller'd, so you can hear it easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWf_T0jdgQ - Robo's theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhiALeK5rTk&feature=related - One that combines the two... seamless!

I knew it!
I knew I heard the Robo theme before playing Chrono Trigger but I couldn't put my finger on...

K' Dash

You can reflect Ganondorf attacks with an empty bottle in OoT.

Also there's a verson with different music in the fire temple and Ganondorf spitting red blood whe you defeat him, I believe the red blood thing is from the first copies of the game, then changed it to green.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
K' Dash said:
You can reflect Ganondorf attacks with an empty bottle in OoT.

Also there's a verson with different music in the fire temple and Ganondorf spitting red blood whe you defeat him, I believe the red blood thing is from the first copies of the game, then changed it to green.

That was my copy of the game, the original Fire temple music was awesome, but it featured some arabian lyrics saying "I bear witness that there is no god except for Allah".

Obviously for some stupid reason some moron muslim didn't like this so Nintendo quickly changed the music.

For other stupid reason they changed Ganon's blood from red to green...

In the red blood version of OOT, typical glitches like riding a horse with the fishing rod, or flying were absent (in the rush they obviously messed with the code).

I never heard of reflecting Ganondorfs attacks with an empty bottle though... but it was easy to transform your items into bottles =P.

TreIII

Haunted One said:
:eek: :eek:

Not sure about that Guile. I've read Jojo and never noticed. That could also be a stereotypical military haircut.

Go read part 2 again (starring Joseph).

In a lot of ways, Guile could be considered to have his roots in the character of the Nazi soldier Stroheim. At least, the basic design for the character holds up.

But yeah...Capcom, SNK and etc. have been utilizing old school manga/anime/shows like HnK, Jojo, Gundam and etc. for "source material" for years on end. They STILL do so, too, if the likes of Sengoku BASARA's Hideyoshi (see my avatar) being basically a composite of Hokuto no Ken's Raoh is any indicator to show what I mean...

Top Bottom