• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

bjork

Not exactly mind blowing but i've always loved that some of the arcade version of shinobi's art assets were "inspired" by Sonny Chibas character in shadow warriors, one of the best ninja series ever created

I was more surprised by changed made to the title screen in later revisions of Revenge of Shinobi to resemble Chiba less. Maybe just the VC version? Not sure.

iidesuyo

Super_NES_designs.png

Early concept designs for the US Super Nintendo.

Wow.

Super_NES_designs.png

Wow.

In a way, my brain is attracted to its novelty, but then the oddities smack me in the face: namely, why the flap? What functional purpose does it serve?

Well, I guess there's a reason we never received this version, ha.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
In a way, my brain is attracted to its novelty, but then the oddities smack me in the face: namely, why the flap? What functional purpose does it serve?
Back then we did shit just because it looked cool, didn't have to be functional. Good times

Some of these prototypes always reminded me of the NES redesign.

database-hardware-nesredesign01.jpg

Also check this out.
The early proto of both NES and SNES, check the controller, SNES style with red NES buttons. Cool. Also a better shot of the early controller without the L and R buttons, and non slanted select and start buttons.

prototypefamicomsuperfamicom6g.jpg
sfc.jpg

Early Dreamcast prototypes, it looks like they had a Wii remote controller design.
dcwii.jpg

Clearly Sony was looking at Nintendo's early grill designs when it came to PS3.
nes_design.jpg

Electronics design was a scary, scary world before the iPod.

Aw, well, the iconography of the iPod is its own accomplishment, but I think the quirkiness of older products is kind of fun. Not everyone cares for "character" when it comes to electronics, but eccentricity is sometimes more memorable and meaningful.

Meelow

Banned
Some of these prototypes always reminded me of the NES redesign.

database-hardware-nesredesign01.jpg

Also check this out.
The early proto of both NES and SNES, check the controller, SNES style with red NES buttons. Cool. Also a better shot of the early controller without the L and R buttons, and non slanted select and start buttons.

sfc.jpg

Early Dreamcast prototypes, it looks like they had a Wii remote controller design.
dcwii.jpg

Clearly Sony was looking at Nintendo's early grill designs when it came to PS3.
nes_design.jpg

Mind = shocked.

Utako

Banned
Aw, well, the iconography of the iPod is its own accomplishment, but I think the quirkiness of older products is kind of fun. Not everyone cares for "character" when it comes to electronics, but eccentricity is sometimes more memorable and meaningful.
Perhaps more novel, but certainly not more memorable, nor meaningful.

I love seeing concept designs. They remind you that great ideas are themselves products of iteration. They don't simply explode from heavenly inspiration. Many who fail in their endeavors will forget this.

sfc.jpg
It's a shame that idea was dropped. That NES redesign is beautiful and sits really well alongside that early SNES (still better design than the US SNES had).

DAT NES, closeup:

protosufami.jpg

Some more SNES:

earlysfc1yz0.jpg

earlysfc2xv9.jpg

People above might as well post all prototypes for Play Station controllers:

playstation2kx21.jpg
psxprototypesarq.jpg

features-050204-famicomcd2.jpg

1_01.jpg

features-050204-famicomcd.jpg

prototype.jpg

Super_NES_designs.png

Wow.

Kind of reminds me of this type of design, the NES got at a late stage (the NES 2 apparaently):

800px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg

and

AVFamicom.jpg

Well, I guess there's a reason we never received this version, ha.

It's badly drawn, but it's just a cool deisgn feature to cover det controller ports.

DAT NES, closeup:

protosufami.jpg

Some more SNES:

earlysfc1yz0.jpg

earlysfc2xv9.jpg
So that's where the PAL SNES got it's design from, the best looking SNES of them all.

You do know the PAL SNES is the same as the Japanese Super Famicom right?

I do now! Always though the way uglier NTSC SNES was in the US and Japan and since we got it later in Euroland we got a redesign. So why on earth did they remodel it for the US?

BTW: Does anybody have any prototype console pics from Sega? Nintendo seem to release stuff like this much more than they do.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I actually think Sony's design was pretty awesome back then. All of those alternate controllers and logos are neat.

blackbelt1.jpg

Sega Black Belt, AKA Saturn 2/Dreamcast.

Damn, so cool. So I wasn't just making things up when I'd read about a machine called Black Belt that would follow up the Saturn way back in the day. I remember my friends not believing me. I wonder if it was something they completely scrapped and went with Dreamcast later on or if it developed into Dreamcast if you know what I mean?

Some more:

blackbelt2.jpg

HWProtoDC2.jpg

P3090019.jpg

psxomg.png

Also, it is interesting to note that one of these controllers looks strikingly like the original XBox Duke:

RMGfo.png

Obviously the Duke adds a second analog stick and more buttons, but the shape looks identical.

Anybody know about the relationship between Sega and Microsoft. Wasn't the Dreamcast powered by some sort of Windows version? The Xbox controllers were clearly inspired by the Dreamcasts.

Anybody know about the relationship between Sega and Microsoft. Wasn't the Dreamcast powered by some sort of Windows version? The Xbox controllers were clearly inspired by the Dreamcasts.

Bill Gates invested in the Sega Dreamcast because he had an interest in videogames. So the Dreamcast got the ability to run games built for Windows C.E., which was a special low-impact, low-resources version of the OS designed to run on "embedded systems" (ATMs/etc.) and early smartphones.

I remember hearing somewhere that might've been what sparked interest to create the Xbox, but that's anecdotal. A similar rumor is that when Sega shut down hardware production, Microsoft was apparently interested in buying the whole company. That's where Sega's partnership with the Xbox began, which lead to JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gun Valkyrie, etc. But again, just a rumor, I think.

Bill Gates invested in the Sega Dreamcast because he had an interest in videogames. So the Dreamcast got the ability to run games built for Windows C.E., which was a special low-impact, low-resources version of the OS designed to run on "embedded systems" (ATMs/etc.) and early smartphones.

I remember hearing somewhere that might've been what sparked interest to create the Xbox, but that's anecdotal. A similar rumor is that when Sega shut down hardware production, Microsoft was apparently interested in buying the whole company. That's where Sega's partnership with the Xbox began, which lead to JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gun Valkyrie, etc. But again, just a rumor, I think.

I wonder if the Xbox had been Sega branded, but with MS running the economy and strategy (Sega clearly have made so many mistakes with this through the years) how the console would have been. Sega exclusives etc.

TheYanger

I wonder if the Xbox had been Sega branded, but with MS running the economy and strategy (Sega clearly have made so many mistakes with this through the years) how the console would have been. Sega exclusives etc.

They got a lot of sega exclusives as it was, I know a lot of people at the time saw the Xbox as the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast (yeah, it wasn't the only system that got Sega games, but it definitely got a lot of the experimental quirky ones that totally fit the DC era innovation Sega had.

Super FAmicon?

Is this an image of what the Sony/Nintendo Collaboration would have been?
No, that's afterwards; notice it's Sony only.

Sony had given themselves the right via the deal with Nintendo to do SNES compatible machines, so their plan for Playstation was playing SNES games in spite of what Nintendo wanted. In time, though, they dropped it.

Not a rumour. Sega execs thought it was poor taste.

They also approached Nintendo.

They got a lot of sega exclusives as it was, I know a lot of people at the time saw the Xbox as the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast (yeah, it wasn't the only system that got Sega games, but it definitely got a lot of the experimental quirky ones that totally fit the DC era innovation Sega had.

True, guess it's just part of me that would have loved a Sega logo on that nice shiny black Xbox 360 slim.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Electronics design was a scary, scary world before the iPod.

Now, it's just a boring one :(
The iPod and its clones are some of the blandest design I have ever seen. These old designs at least had some character and were memorable.

Now, it's just a boring one :(
The iPod and its clones are some of the blandest design I have ever seen. These old designs at least had some character and were memorable.

That's the downside to minimalist design. It sure lasts longer and doesn't date as fast, but years later it doesn't show must resemblance on the time you're trying to remember. Timeless design versus popular design for it's time period I guess.

Top Bottom