• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Cheerilee

I think the most mindblowing thing about the whole Mariners/Zelda thing is finding out that Nintendo owns the Mariners, which I never knew. I'm not a baseball guy at all, by the way.

Don't worry, neither is Hiroshi Yamauchi. He's never once been to a Mariners game, despite owning them since 1992. Not even when they visit Japan.

Actually, he's just not fond of going out in public. Too many enemies. And by "enemies" I mean the "would seriously entertain the notion of murdering him if they knew it was possible" kind of enemies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
What nonsense backwards part of England are you referring to. Ive got friends and family in london and Ive never heard of this made up gesture

check my gif. It's from "Ashes to ashes", sequel to "Life on Mars"

also, I'm from the backward part called London
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign
"The sign's meaning depends in part on the way the hand is positioned. With the palm of the hand facing the signer (i.e. back of the hand facing the observer), it can mean:

An insult – largely restricted to the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland."

here's the Victorian gentleman robbie Williams giving his version
800px-Robbie_paparazzi_V_sign.jpg

What nonsense backwards part of England are you referring to. Ive got friends and family in london and Ive never heard of this made up gesture

your index and middle finger in a v shape with the top of your hand facing the person is classed as swearing like the middle finger. *edit* as that picture above shows.

Bowser has his arms crossed people. He's not doing any up yours. Also the rude gesture is not done by palming your bicep, but by putting your other arm across it.

Bowser has his arms crossed people. He's not doing any up yours. Also the rude gesture is not done by palming your bicep, but by putting your other arm across it.

OK, first off...to the left is the Japanese pose, and to the right is the American pose. In neither image is Bowser's arms crossed:

eCwzI.gif

The story of a rude gesture being the reason NOA requested Bowser's sprite be changed has been passed around for years, and not because it isn't plausible. True, he's not palming his bicep. But in a small 16-bit sprite played on a TV in 1995 via RF coaxial output, that wasn't so clear.

6nlaZ.png

A few more dark brown pixels, and his left hand would be in front of his right arm.

Also, when Bowser closes his fist the middle finger/knuckle is the most visible.
Maybe that had something to do with it (assuming censorship had anything to with the change at all)?

The Super Mario World theme song sounds very similar to Green, Green by the New Christy Minstrels.

Also, Witch Doctor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JQmdZVTqiuQ#t=14s

skyward sword bamboo cutting room...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shibvkpyb8E&sns=em

sounding like super paper mario soft light theme...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA9sjF3gnVs&sns=em

The beginning is a little too close to be a coincidence, but being that these composers all work for the same company and may even share the same offices, I think this is likely an example of cryptomnesia at play.

Can we have a moratorium of music comparisons?

We need a moratorium on these types of complaints! If there are people who dig music comparisons, there's no use in complaining about it. Whether it's people complaining about songs sounding nothing alike (meanwhile, I posted a very valid example of a certain Nintendo song being based on a famous children's song a while back), or the inevitable music snobs that swoop in to whine about "common chord progressions" or whatnot, it's getting very, very annoying. I keep saying someone should start a thread just for video game songs that sound like other songs, but maybe I'll have to be the one to do it. Rule #1 would be: "if it sounds like a coincidence to you, don't cry about it".

Utako

Banned
When this thread is bad, it's really bad.

Fuck your music comparisons. They aren't facts, and they aren't mindblowing. Make a new thread to lame up.

I think if someone has two music tracks that are similar and they can prove that the developer definitely used y as their inspiration to make x, then that's fine and interesting.

"Hey guys, this sounds a bit like this if you listen on cheap speakers at low volume and don't pay too much attention" is rubbish though, because it shows no actual link between the games whatsoever.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This may have been posted and might not be mind blowing but the reason we have the familiar Zelda tune is because Nintendo couldn't license Ravel's Bolero, which was going to be used for Zelda 1's intro.

Thought it was a neat fact anyway :)

Toppot

Not minding blowing but pretty neat, don't think its common knowledge anyway.

In the Ratchet & Clank logos the A and C are joined to make a wrench.

oDdfX.png

So make the thread. You get your music discussion without the complaints, and this thread ditches the endless vague/nonexistent musical similarities.

Really? Do you honestly mean that?

Robo's Theme/Rick Astley is not vague. Paper Mario Intro/Inchworm is not vague.
SF2 Ken's Theme/Top Gun is not vague. The problem is everyone goes up in arms whenever a huge stretch is posted, but whenever the music matches up well it gets ignored by you haters. Its fine if you don't think it mindblowing, but apparently others do. So even if someone were to make such a thread, what's to stop people from shitting that one up?

This may have been posted and might not be mind blowing but the reason we have the familiar Zelda tune is because Nintendo couldn't license Ravel's Bolero, which was going to be used for Zelda 1's intro.

Thought it was a neat fact anyway :)

I did not know this! Cool, but source, please, if you remember where you learned that from.

bjork

If you click the actual link to the KIG page, it shows the 1996 release date. Wikipedia isn't completely accurate.

Also, as far as the music comparisons go, there should probably just be a thread for that since a lot of times it's "this item jingle sounds like my neighborhood's ice cream truck if you squint real hard", similar to people going "hey, so and so looks like actor x" when they really don't. Fine if there's an interest in that, but it's always felt out of place here aside from the actual factual ones.

SF2 Ken's Theme/Top Gun is not vague. The problem is everyone goes up in arms whenever a huge stretch is posted, but whenever the music matches up well it gets ignored by you haters.

Videogame coincidences that blow your mind.

A "fact" is so called for a reason =P

RedCoyote

Driving home from work one day, I was half-listening to the radio when I realized an add for a local flooring or carpeting store was using an acoustic guitar rendition of the Yoshi's Island Atheltic song. It took me a moment to realize that it was really happening, and I realized towards the end that I didn't get the name of the store, so I haven't been able to get a recording or anything.

Videogame coincidences that blow your mind.

A "fact" is so called for a reason =P

Fair enough, a lot of these are coincidences. But not all are. Of the three I posted there, only Robo/Astley is a confirmed coincidence, the other two seem to be directly inspired by and borrow from well-known songs.

Driving home from work one day, I was half-listening to the radio when I realized an add for a local flooring or carpeting store was using an acoustic guitar rendition of the Yoshi's Island Atheltic song. It took me a moment to realize that it was really happening, and I realized towards the end that I didn't get the name of the store, so I haven't been able to get a recording or anything.

It's a shame you can't remember the name of the store. If you're unable you record it yourself, other GAFers in your area just might be able to catch it with a little more information.

Mike M

Nick N

Robo's Theme/Rick Astley is not vague. Paper Mario/Inchworm is not vague.
SF2 Ken's Theme/Top Gun is not vague. The problem is everyone goes up in arms whenever a huge stretch is posted, but whenever the music matches up well it gets ignored by you haters. Its fine if you don't thinks it mindblowing, but others do.

You've listed three legit examples out of how many music postings in this thread? The problem isn't that no one cares about music Easter eggs or whatnot, it's that the signal:noise ratio on these examples is pretty minimal.

So even if someone were to make such a thread, what's to stop people from shitting up that one?
Well for starters, it would be the stated purpose of the thread and not a defacto hijacking of this one.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

SF2 Ken's Theme/Top Gun is not vague. The problem is everyone goes up in arms whenever a huge stretch is posted, but whenever the music matches up well it gets ignored by you haters. Its fine if you don't think it mindblowing, but apparently others do. So even if someone were to make such a thread, what's to stop people from shitting that one up?

I did not know this! Cool, but source, please, if you remember where you learned that from.

Had to look a while but found a reliable source :)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You've listed three legit examples out of how many music postings in this thread? The problem isn't that no one cares about music Easter eggs or whatnot, it's that the signal:noise ratio on these examples is pretty minimal.

Well for starters, it would be the stated purpose of the thread and not a defacto hijacking of this one.

Why don't you do what I do?

If you see a music post just skip it.

Spending 15 posts whining about music posts is shitting up the thread far more effectively than people actually making the music posts.

Mike M

Nick N
Why don't you do what I do?

If you see a music post just skip it.

Spending 15 posts whining about music posts is shitting up the thread far more effectively than people actually making the music posts.

By and large I do skip it. Doesn't mean I abdicate my right to express my opinion on it once in a blue moon.

thanks for sharing this fact that you cannot possibly prove.

j/k i have shit like that happen to me all the time. local car dealers use all kinds of weird music in their commercials.

Had to look a while but found a reliable source :)

Awesome. :)

Koji Kondo: Yes, as I recall, in the very first Legend of Zelda, in the very opening title screen, we used to use the classical music of "Bolero," because that tempo was perfectly matched with the speed of the opening screen rolling. But I remember it was just before, when we really had to complete the final ROM for reproduction, they told me that unfortunately the copyright of that music hadn't expired yet, so I had to compose a completely new piece of music tthat night. I recall that I did it within one day. You know, "da-da-da-da" -- that was done in just one day.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
We need a moratorium on these types of complaints! If there are people who dig music comparisons, there's no use in complaining about it. Whether it's people complaining about songs sounding nothing alike (meanwhile, I posted a very valid example of a certain Nintendo song being based on a famous children's song a while back), or the inevitable music snobs that swoop in to whine about "common chord progressions" or whatnot, it's getting very, very annoying. I keep saying someone should start a thread just for video game songs that sound like other songs, but maybe I'll have to be the one to do it. Rule #1 would be: "if it sounds like a coincidence to you, don't cry about it".

This is a thread about astounding facts about videogames that people never knew. Quite frankly, 95% of the "this song sounds like this song" are completely ill-founded.

It's the spreading of this misinformation that's sort of irritating to me. I think it's cool that people find small similarities in songs, but there's zero evidence that one composer "copied" another just because someone found a coincidence. The fact is, songs are formulaic, and when you go for a specific genre/style/region in composing, it can sound like something else that was also written under similar influences.

Your example that you provided is one of the worst offenders, in my opinion. But here's the worst part - you refer to people who are knowledgeable in music as "music snobs", scoffing at their proclamations of "chord progressions or whatnot".

Except their claims are based around fact, while yours are based around speculation. You end up sounding stupid by dismissing this.

Again, I don't care that people find similarities between songs - they exist EVERYWHERE. But 95% of the time, it's nothing but a coincidence because of the way that music is composed. I wish people understood this, but it's really hard to "teach" someone about music through a few paragraphs of text.

Clipper

I'm one of the ones that has complained about music comparisons, but only when people try to claim that one is inspired by or ripped off the other. When two songs sound alike and you just never noticed it before, yes that can be mindblowing and may be interesting to others who might not have noticed it. Don't read anything else into that, though.

But also, don't abuse and post similarities when they are extremely minor. It does get boring, like somebody posting an obvious Pokémon naming pun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The GameBoy Camera credits being the Earthbound file select music kind of blew my mind. Mostly because I'd only learn what Earthbound is years later being European and all.

Also marked the first time I saw Pokémon thanks to the stamps.

Mike M

Nick N
No you don't, because you're still complaining about them.
Well actually I'm just responding to people addressing me directly at this point. I think prior to today I've made a whopping three posts or so on the matter in this 11.5K post thread. Maybe half a dozen at the outside. Spaced over months, if not years at this point.

So yeah, for the most part I do ignore it.

mnemovore

Since it's become such a big deal, I'd like to point out that Green, Green was translated into Japanese by a prolific children's song composer and presented on his music show and became quite popular, being absorbed into Japanese musical heritage. Koji Kondo was born in 1960, and the translated song was first presented in the late 60s, so it would have been most prolific around his childhood. It's really not farfetched at all that it was an influence.

LeleSocho

Banned
Seriously the the songs similarities stuff needs to stop, it's not the first time that i enter this thread only to see that a song have a sequence of three notes identical to mario theme...
Seriously... stop.

Seriously the complaining about songs similarities stuff needs to stop, it's not the first time that i enter this thread only to see people crying their eyes out over other people posting things that don't appeal to them personally...
Seriously... stop.

Rufus

And the cycle is almost complete. Let me do the honors:

I don't like people who complain about complainers.

There we go.

Not exactly mind blowing but i've always loved that some of the arcade version of shinobi's art assets.
Shinobi.jpg

were "inspired" by Sonny Chibas character in shadow warriors, one of the best ninja series ever created
kage_no_gundan3.jpg

Not exactly mind blowing but i've always loved that some of the arcade version of shinobi's art assets.
Shinobi.jpg

were "inspired" by Sonny Chibas character in shadow warriors, one of the best ninja series ever created
kage_no_gundan3.jpg

There is no arcade version, Super/Revenge of Shinobi was only developed for the Genesis.

Top Bottom