• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

mclem

Don't know if that's been posted yet but...

This boss:

27082-super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-snes-screenshot-boss-battles.jpg

Its feet and nose are the exact same sprite, but mirrored. I... I just noticed. :S

Cloudbush level.

Id be willing to bet that is a sword from whatever game they are working on next....doesnt look like the master sword, and WAY too elaborate for window dressing

There's a fake MMO in the game that I'm pretty sure that sword is supposed to be from. You can see the game disc off to the side.

Roto13

It looks like it could very well be a Zelda reference, even if they didn't just stick the Master Sword in there. It's definitely not the exact same sword, though.

Haunted

Id be willing to bet that is a sword from whatever game they are working on next....doesnt look like the master sword, and WAY too elaborate for window dressing
One of the attacks in the game uses a version of that sword model and some enemies have these swords equipped, so it's not windowdressing.

It's a section in a nerd's basement with a lot of generic epic fantasy references for a fictional game.

Mike M

Nick N
The hilt (or whatever it's called. Cross guard? I dunno) looks kinda but not really like an inverted version of the wings on the Hylian shield

oot_hylian_shield_by_blueamnesiac-d4jypro.png

But really, outside that bulge part it's not at all shaped anything like the Master Sword.

They probably couldn't get permission to pay heaps of money to use the Master Sword's likeness on a competing console if they wanted, so yeah the individual details are completely different but they somehow manage to as the sum of all parts manage to invoke familiarity without it being a legal nightmare.

Mista Koo

From Hunter The Vigil book:

XnGQvLL.jpg

Not really a video game fact since the book copied the game. I was kinda hoping it would be the other way around :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I knew about the basic Dream stuff (Blackeye the pirate), but it wasn't till today I found out how ambitious it was set-up to be, and probably would've been even better than Banjo was.

No, better than that magnificient game? The same quality at best, which would make it (one of) the best RPG(s) anyway. More ambitious does not mean better though, sadly, it most of the time even means the opposite, because the developers spend so much time on different gameplay mechanics and settings that nothing is polished in the end.

Great find @Yoshi's Island :). And I agree that the Infamous sword is probably meant to be a Zelda-reminiscence, not exactly the Master sword, but it has many details that invoke a Zelda-feeling.

There's actually a really good article on Grantland about the development hell that this movie fell into. Definitely worth the read:

http://grantland.com/features/the-strange-case-super-mario-bros-movie/
This was a great read. I still like the movie for how spectacularly awful and deviating it was from the video game formula, but the question remains-- how do you make an accurate live action Mario Bros? I would have loved to read the first set of scripts, though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
just found this on reddit

infamous_master_sword.jpg

Infamous Second Son has a Master Sword(?) cameo. Cool!

As others pointed out, it doesn't really look like the real thing, but goddamn I thought this was a photography while browsing this thread. Dat nextgen.

Alright, carry on and sorry for the offtopic.

Towels

Banned
So the secret is Super FX and Star Fox both have an F and X? That's not really well hidden.

Or are we just making up a fact that the FX chip is named is named after the fox? Or making up a fact that the game features a fox because fox has the letters F and X?

You can't just post a photoshopped picture and claim a secret found

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm not sure the curtain calls directly relate to the shadows and rigging on platforms and the end of levels, it was all just a bit of flourish IMO. Particularly the end of level blackness, since in the NES version, the plants and platforms in that area were just white outlines. Then in world 8, you got to a level where everything was like that. So the end of level is like Mario journeying into the encroaching darkness from Bowser's kingdom. (It was strange, poor decision on their part to normalize the levels for All-Stars and beyond.)

smb3_level_end.png
smas-smb3_level_end.png

smb3_w8-1_a.png
smas-smb3_w8-1_a.png

smb3_w8-1_b.png
smas-smb3_w8-1_b.png

Shots from here: http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_nes2smas.shtml
I mistakenly went to page 70 instead of post 70 - which is the one about the bushes being recolored clouds - but this post blew my mind more. I never saw the end of level/World 8 darkness connection before, and it makes me a little upset that they changed it for All-Stars.

SolVanderlyn: Glad you found it interesting. Was only an idea, of course.

It's making a connection between the FX in Star Fox, and it using the Super FX chip.

Maybe if the name was SuperFox or something, but for now it seems pretty weak.

I don't think it's that weak. It seems like a name specifically picked based on the technology it was showcasing.

It's not just the FX part.
Super FX
Star Fox

The beginning and end of both words match "Super FX".

It seems like a possibility to me. I mean, one of the following titles was "Stunt Race FX". They were clearly happy to include the chip's name there.

Top Bottom