• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Mike M

Nick N
I would need a comparison as to what people actually saw for that.
This, apparently

This is what I saw:

094d0e813d1283d06d31651301226ce5.jpg

Peagles

I'm not really sure if this belongs in this thread, but I was watching The Amazing World of Gumball (it's a Cartoon Network show, for those who haven't heard of it) and spotted a pretty cool nod to the Shadow of the Colossus. The episode is actually called "The Colossus," so maybe it wasn't just a subtle reference.

Here are some screencaps of the scene in both the game and the show:

Nice spotting, love that show!

TheOGB

Banned
I'm not really sure if this belongs in this thread, but I was watching The Amazing World of Gumball (it's a Cartoon Network show, for those who haven't heard of it) and spotted a pretty cool nod to the Shadow of the Colossus. The episode is actually called "The Colossus," so maybe it wasn't just a subtle reference.

Oh wow, is that why I had déjà vu when I saw Game Grumps beat that guy in their playthrough?!

I'm still realing from Metapod.
I'm only just now remembering that I used to think Metapod looked like a fucked up green bean. Actually I think I caught one in FireRed and named it Peapod.

Since Metapod came up...

Something else that lends itself to the "Venomoth was the original Butterfree" myth;

Caterpie and Metapod are both based on the caterpillar and cocoon of the Tiger Swallowtail butterfly, which has the 'swallowtail' seen in Venomoth.

Myriadis

Do you remember the Golemech fight in Starfox 64, when you take the easy route to venom, the one in the tunnel?
1368291-golemech060sjx6.png

I always thought that the tunnel is endless, just using the same trick as the endless staircase in Super Mario 64.

Turns out this tunnel is not endless. That boss fight is timed.

After about 6-7 minutes, you will get an extra life and then crash into multiple walls that you won't survive no matter what.
See it here (Bad quality). And what happens if you use a infinite shield cheat (Good Quality)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
At least they give you the extra life. But why bother? Might as well make it infinite. That makes me wonder about the Venom robot boss from the original game that also had an "endless" track. I can't see that one ending as none of the battles end. Galactic Rider. (I always wondered what was up with the road rendering on the left side.)

I guess if you manage to get the life and then immediately kill the boss you could keep it?

iidesuyo

And in true USSR fashion it flew one unmanned mission then spent the rest of its life grounded until its hangar collapsed and destroyed it.

Not exactly true. The one that was destroyed was unfinished.

The one that flew was bought by the Technik Museum Speyer in Germany and is on permanent display.

BURAN_Speyer_7.jpg

drexplora

I don't know if this belongs here, I was watching the movie Pompeii(2014) and noticed the Stable sound from Age of Empires being played at about 00:04:15 sec.
The part where the little boy?! is walking through the middle of the battle, and as that lady goes to grab him and gets knocked down you hear it in all its glory :D

Had to verify by hearing the stable's sound, its been a while :D

Vlade

I think that more of a theory that just fits very well, with curtains and props and stuff. Would be awesome if Miyamoto was confirming it though.

Does anybody know if something happens if you finish Mario 3 with either a frog or hammer bros. suit? I did it once with a Tanooki suit but cant remember if anything happened, I think you just turn into Super Mario once you enter the room the princess is held captive.

Edit: should have googled it beforehand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qrvL6UZwzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN217X462g

Nothing special happens though its cool you can kill Bowser with 4 hammers

Uuuuh, at the end of that frog vid, he says mario has been transformed :eek:

Santiako

Yeah, Using the DS as subtitle was pretty popular during the first years of the console, some examples:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Bleach: Dark Souls
Lunar: Dragon Song
Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits
Tenchu: Dark Secret
Bubble Bobble: Double Shot
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Dig Dug: Digging Strike
Fullmetal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy
Guilty Gear Dust Strikers
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Peggle Dual Shot
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

georly

Yeah, Using the DS as subtitle was pretty popular during the first years of the console, some examples:

Peggle Dual Shot

Bleach was the original dark souls!?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think that more of a theory that just fits very well, with curtains and props and stuff. Would be awesome if Miyamoto was confirming it though.

Does anybody know if something happens if you finish Mario 3 with either a frog or hammer bros. suit? I did it once with a Tanooki suit but cant remember if anything happened, I think you just turn into Super Mario once you enter the room the princess is held captive.

Edit: should have googled it beforehand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qrvL6UZwzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN217X462g

Nothing special happens though its cool you can kill Bowser with 4 hammers
Yep. You just lose your suit. When I was a kid I had a Game Genie and the code that let you keep the suits forever would cause the game to lock up and get stuck in a pause loop when you entered the final door. (And it mentioned this in the code book too.) At the time I had no idea why. Now I know it's because the game is trying to "damage" you through scripting in order to let you in but since the code is "Mario turns into Hammer Mario when damaged" the game gets stuck in a logic loop.

If Mario > Super Mario then Damage --> If Mario > Super Mario then Damage --> If Mario > Super Mario then Damage...

Uuuuh, at the end of that frog vid, he says mario has been transformed :eek:
Nah. That's just the King's ignorance. It's a suit. But since he doesn't understand he assumes it's magic.

It's like if you brought a cave man or some other person from history before technology existed, the first thing they'd think when seeing your cell phone, laptop, TV and car is "MAGIC! YOU'RE A GOD OR THE DEVIL!"

So he offers to help Mario turn back to human. It's all just a little comic relief. For the frog suit he thinks you're transformed. For the hammer suit he asks if you'd mind lending him your suit. I forget if and what he says for the Tanooki suit.

Nah. That's just the King's ignorance. It's a suit. But since he doesn't understand he assumes it's magic.

It's like if you brought a cave man or some other person from history before technology existed, the first thing they'd think when seeing your cell phone, laptop, TV and car is "MAGIC! YOU'RE A GOD OR THE DEVIL!"

So he offers to help Mario turn back to human. It's all just a little comic relief. For the frog suit he thinks you're transformed. For the hammer suit he asks if you'd mind lending him your suit. I forget if and what he says for the Tanooki suit.

Well that and the king himself (each of the seven of them) was just transformed back to his proper self from an animal curse seconds earlier using that wand.

LGom09

This might be common knowledge but, 22 years after its release, I just now realized that the soundtrack to Super Mario Kart wasn't composed by Koji Kondo.

Dunan

Drag-On Dragoon 3 (Drakegard 3) has the following world map:

DD3_Midgard_Map.png

They seem to be using the Hebrew-like alphabet that these same producers also used in Nier, and the names of the locations, when read in that font, match the names used in the Japanese game.

But on the compass at the bottom, the letter shin (S in the font they used in Nier) is at the top, and the letter nun (N) is at the bottom.

Why would they reverse south and north like that?

Perhaps it's because if the map were flipped upside-down, people would notice that
it's a map of Europe

sn00zer

Drag-On Dragoon 3 (Drakegard 3) has the following world map:

DD3_Midgard_Map.png

They seem to be using the Hebrew-like alphabet that these same producers also used in Nier, and the names of the locations, when read in that font, match the names used in the Japanese game.

But on the compass at the bottom, the letter shin (S in the font they used in Nier) is at the top, and the letter nun (N) is at the bottom.

Why would they reverse south and north like that?

Perhaps it's because if the map were flipped upside-down, people would notice that
it's a map of Europe

Both of these were interesting... good posts

Nemesis_

Peggle Dual Shot

Haha, I remember all of those rumours that were obviously fake came out many of them employed the DS acronym. Devil May Cry: Dance of Sparda was the one that stood out the most. Still laughing at that. Surprised netiher DMC PSP or DS ever came to fruition, really.

Chopper

Haha, I remember all of those rumours that were obviously fake came out many of them employed the DS acronym. Devil May Cry: Dance of Sparda was the one that stood out the most. Still laughing at that. Surprised netiher DMC PSP or DS ever came to fruition, really.
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle was an awesome troll.

Top Bottom