• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

stilgar

jaquette-just-cause-playstation-3-ps3-cover-avant-g-1336575548.jpg
I may be the last person on earth to have noticed this, but the name "Just Cause", aside from being a reference to the plot, could very well be a wordplay refering to the crazy nature of the game.
This was always the ultimate sandbox game, where more than half the fun is to try new things. Why would you tie a cow to a jet plane ? Not for the story, not for anything except fun. Just because. Just cause.

sn00zer

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

bengraven

Two got me today and are both unrelated.

1) Nintendo tried to get the rights to Harry Potter exclusively (which may affected the film versions) back in 1998.

Apparently Nintendo wanted a more manga-look to the games, while JK's group insisted on things looking more like the classic covers. Eventually the bid was thrown out, seems there was a lot of tension.

Have to say I'm glad: the first concept art wasn't too impressive, though it's a bit charming as it reminds me of 80s Zelda art.

2) Many of you probably know this so it's really just mind-blowing for ME, but I just learned today that there are Japanese-only remakes of the Gameboy Final Fantasy Legends II and III for the DS. (yes, I know they're SaGa games)

FFLIII was one of my favorite RPGs of the 90s - and actually my second FF game after VI. I fucking loved it.

I wish these had made it over here. I want to eat some monster flesh.

4lejandro

Not sure if y'all know but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's infamous "miserable pile of secrets" is actually a real quote from French author André Malraux. Guess that Dracula was more well read than we give him credit for.

BUT ENOUGH TALK, HAVE AT YOU!

(I always found that particular line more amusing that the pile of secrets one hehe).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Two got me today and are both unrelated.

1) Nintendo tried to get the rights to Harry Potter exclusively (which may affected the film versions) back in 1998.

Apparently Nintendo wanted a more manga-look to the games, while JK's group insisted on things looking more like the classic covers. Eventually the bid was thrown out, seems there was a lot of tension.

Have to say I'm glad: the first concept art wasn't too impressive, though it's a bit charming as it reminds me of 80s Zelda art.

2) Many of you probably know this so it's really just mind-blowing for ME, but I just learned today that there are Japanese-only remakes of the Gameboy Final Fantasy Legends II and III for the DS. (yes, I know they're SaGa games)

FFLIII was one of my favorite RPGs of the 90s - and actually my second FF game after VI. I fucking loved it.

I wish these had made it over here. I want to eat some monster flesh.

There was also a remake of SaGa 1/FFL1 for the Wonderswan Color. It even managed to get a fan translation.

That Harry Potter concept art doesn't look half bad, though I don't particularly care for the IP at all. Wonder what Nintendo could have done with it...

A few weeks ago my dumb ass realized that Goomba was a play on the word "goombah". I have no idea how I went so long without catching this.

Goombah
an associate or accomplice, especially a senior member of a criminal gang.

I had no clue this word existed (I'm Spanish). Is it commonly used in English? I don't think I've ever heard or read it. Mind blown anyway. :)

sn00zer

From a series of posts
DMC1 had a character named Enzo who as only in the manual. There is a joke in Viewtiful Joe that he stole Dante's clothes and that he is the Dante in DMC2

Basically.

Enzo beating Dante at strip poker:
latest

Also, this is more like trivia or an easter egg and is found in-game, so it doesn't really count, but the Bracelet of Time in Bayonetta is the same item as Time Bangle from DMC1, and its description reads like this:

"Eva, a truly extraordinary witch, entered into a contract with the legendary dark knight, and then faced the amassed armies of Inferno. These bracelets were made by her hand, and those wearing them are said to become true masters of Witch Time at their very will."

Implying that Dante's mother was an Umbra Witch and that she fought with Sparda against Mundus.

aaaaaa

From watching Awesome Games Done Quick, I learned something about Super Mario Kart.

Collecting coins increases your top speed. At 10 coins you reach your maximum speed.

And it was in the manual all along.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
From watching Awesome Games Done Quick, I learned something about Super Mario Kart.

Collecting coins increases your top speed. At 10 coins you reach your maximum speed.

And it was in the manual all along.
What did you think coins were for?

Super Circuit went overboard with this and put coins everywhere on the track so you could easily end up being the fastest in the race.

Link1110

Drooling over that Nintendo Harry Potter art. They could've made HP games with graphics on the level of SaGa Frontier 2 (though Nintendo would have made them fun, which Akitoshi Kawazu forgot when he made SF2)

Myriadis

(I hope I can explain it since English is not my primary language, so bare with me)

There is one small detail in the beginning of 999 - 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors that actually foreshadows a big twist in the end:

VrQa4sF.png

52KBD6F.png

It turns out in the end that
the Narration on the second screen (here on the right) is actually not a normal "voice without a body" like usual but actually done from the viewpoint of Zero communicating in the future with Junpei so she finds a correct path that saves her.
Normally, whenever a person talks, it's shown on the left screen but when it's done on the right side it's always surrounded by quotation marks, like a quote.
So why is the sentence "Huh. That's weird... Did I leave that open...?" not in quotation marks?
Because since it's from the viewpoint of Zero it's her thoughts and therefore it's foreshadowing the fact that the normally "bodyless" narration is actually a person.

A few weeks ago my dumb ass realized that Goomba was a play on the word "goombah". I have no idea how I went so long without catching this.

Goombah
an associate or accomplice, especially a senior member of a criminal gang.

I had no clue this word existed (I'm Spanish). Is it commonly used in English? I don't think I've ever heard or read it. Mind blown anyway. :)

I've never heard this word either (I'm English), but it does make me wonder if that's where the word 'goon' cones from.

Dunan

I'm surprised people hadn't heard the word "goomba" before; it's one of those words that people think Italian-Americans say all the time, but really they don't say it that often -- but still often enough that the average person knows it. Being born in Brooklyn, Mario's home, I heard it all the time as a child, and being Italian-American, Mario would naturally use this word.

Do you use the word "compadre" in Spanish? "Goomba" comes from the same word, but in Italian. Many English speakers cannot distinguish unaspirated consonants from voiced consonants (that is, they hear unaspirated "c" as a "g"), so you get words like compa as "goomba" and, lopping the vowel off at the end, stu cazzo as "stugots'" and (va) fan culo as "(va) fan gul'"

(Sorry for the vulgarisms, but I can't think of any "innocent" examples!)

You can insert cartridges into the NES and play them without pushing them down.

My childhood is a lie.

A-are you telling me that there's no activation going on as you press down and you coul-could simply let the cartridge bay stay open with a game sticking out?

CHILDHOOD FUCKING RUINED!

Not really surprising when I owned a Game Genie. I remember my NES was REALLY finicky and I swear there were times where loading it with the Game Genie, even if the game wasn't compatible (like Tengen games) would work consistently better.

It certainly never occurred to me to try games without pressing it down by itself though.

I fix NESs for people. If it's the 72 pin connector, the boiling method can really clean them up right, and it saves so much money. I always reposition the pins before remounting it. If you do it right - and I always do - I'll tell the person that they no longer need to push the cart down.

The connector itself is angled slightly up. I think the factory default doesn't have the pins so tight, so the act of pushing it down forces the pins to make contact. When you reset the pins manually, you're removing the need to ensure the contact. They'll do it the moment the cart slides in.

I fix NESs for people. If it's the 72 pin connector, the boiling method can really clean them up right, and it saves so much money. I always reposition the pins before remounting it. If you do it right - and I always do - I'll tell the person that they no longer need to push the cart down.

The connector itself is angled slightly up. I think the factory default doesn't have the pins so tight, so the act of pushing it down forces the pins to make contact. When you reset the pins manually, you're removing the need to ensure the contact. They'll do it the moment the cart slides in.

That's how mine is. Between the pins being massively tighter and popping out Pin 4 on the chip to disable the security (my original Ninja Gaiden cart from when I was a kid won't work anymore without doing this) I don't have to push games down anymore.

Cheerilee

See this stuff is way over my head

TASBOT is a modified ROB the Robot for the NES. He can connect to the controller port on an ordinary NES running an ordinary cartridge, and perform tool-assisted speedruns in realtime on real hardware.

And then his creators figured out more. TASBOT can hack games using nothing more than his mad controller skillz.

TASBOT didn't "find" a secret game of color-a-dinosaur that was hidden in Mario 3 by Shigeru Miyamoto, he hacked the game and created a game of color-a-dinosaur and pretended it was left there by Shigeru Miyamoto.

lazygecko

The Super Mario Bros "pick up a mushroom" sound is the "level complete" tune sped up four or five times or so (and cut a bit at the end).

INzRApP.jpg

Noticed it in this video on overclocking (and underclocking) the GBC: https://youtu.be/nwJQxD8LLNY?t=57

It's not that similar. Just the same harmonic scale used, with the mushroom sound being more of a straightforward arpeggio.

I just learned today that the car at the start of Double Dragon is actually a reference to Road Blaster/Road Avenger, which came out earlier as a laserdisc arcade game (and got ported to Sega CD later in the 90's, which is the version most are familiar with). Both games had the same director.

gvasggaragenpoyz.gif

hqdefaultkvozb.jpg

In Kirby 64, one of the planets you visit to collect the crystal shards is a frozen world called Shiver Star.

A couple of the levels are more modern and conventional in theme than any of the other stages in the game, such as a shopping mall and a factory. Many of the enemies in the world are machines, and the boss of the world (also a machine) is fought in the heart of an abandoned city with high-rises and skyscrapers visible in the background. All this suggests that there was once advanced life on the planet, and everybody either died out or left the planet when it became too cold to support civilization.

Here's a picture of the planet from the world select screen:

latest

You can clearly make out North and South America under the ice. It even has a moon that is to the same scale as ours.

Shiver Star is a post-apocalyptic planet Earth.

Some Guy

According to Miyamoto they were called Kuribo because one of the programmers thought they looked like chestnuts. However, according to Takashi Tezuka they are mushrooms.

Can I resurect this thought? I always thought Kuribos were named after kuritake! They're an edible brown mushroom, and are reasonably goomba-shaped as far as mushrooms go:

120px-Ziegelrote_Schwefelk%C3%B6pfe.jpg

I thought the times Kuribos have been depicted as more chestnut-like (or as actual chestnuts in Mario World) were just having fun with the kuri/kuritake wordplay. Or at the very least, that kuri/kuritake would be an obvious enough pun to players that the devs felt it would be cute and not confusing to name a mushroom character after a chestnut.

MikeOShay

Neo Member
Ooh! Some good stuff this week, holy shit about the Kirby 64 post. It looks a bit skewed to me, but the more I look, the more I see Earth on it. Check for Florida, Greenland, and the edge of Europe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_throws#Giant_swing

Everywhere I've read about Mario's throw, they call it this. I am pretty sure Mario's other moves are called by wrestling terminology. Like, the butt stomp is actually a "hip drop"

In the games themselves, it's usually called a Ground Pound. The link does list Hip Drop as an alt name, but I think most of those are just names the fans use.

Rich's post about DK is interesting, but I'm more surprised that "Donkey Kong 94" isn't a DK64 typo and that there's a Donkey Kong remake/sequel on GB with its own unique elements.

Rich!

Rich's post about DK is interesting, but I'm more surprised that "Donkey Kong 94" isn't a DK64 typo and that there's a Donkey Kong remake/sequel on GB with its own unique elements.

...you've never heard of it before?

holy shit, you need to put some time aside to play one of the greatest platformers Nintendo have ever made.

Depending on how you look at it, either last gen or this gen is the first to not get three mainline final fantasy games since the series started

Famicom: ff 1, 2, 3
SFC: 4, 5, 6
PSX: 7, 8, 9
PS2: 10, 11, 12
PS3 13, 14

Though if you don't want to count the online games, but do want to count sequels, you can technically say ps2 had 10, 10-2, and 12, while ps3 has the lightning trilogy

Far from mind blowing, I just thought it was interesting.

Top Bottom