• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Stopdoor

In the games themselves, it's usually called a Ground Pound. The link does list Hip Drop as an alt name, but I think most of those are just names the fans use.

Rich's post about DK is interesting, but I'm more surprised that "Donkey Kong 94" isn't a DK64 typo and that there's a Donkey Kong remake/sequel on GB with its own unique elements.

I remember Mario Party continually referred to it as a "Hip Drop", which confused me as a kid who knew it as a Ground Pound.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Rich's post about DK is interesting, but I'm more surprised that "Donkey Kong 94" isn't a DK64 typo and that there's a Donkey Kong remake/sequel on GB with its own unique elements.
...you've never heard of it before?

holy shit, you need to put some time aside to play one of the greatest platformers Nintendo have ever made.
You need to do this. Yes. Donkey Kong '94 is puzzle-platforming perfection.

I always wondered if DK94's final boss battle was original or if it cloned a game that came before it. It's the same style boss battle as you see in
Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Where the battle consists mostly of two fists that stomp down and sometimes slide across the screen and you have to avoid them. Meat Boy had it as World 4's boss. DKCR had it as the final boss. (Tiki Kong) DKCR's was more a mixture of DK94 and the same hand boss type you see in games like Zelda Wind Waker (Temple of the Gods) and Mario 64. (The pyramid boss)
Man, boss battles are cloned so often, aren't they?

Link1110

I always wondered if DK94's final boss battle was original or if it cloned a game that came before it. It's the same style boss battle as you see in
Super Meat Boy and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Where the battle consists mostly of two fists that stomp down and sometimes slide across the screen and you have to avoid them. Meat Boy had it as World 4's boss. DKCR had it as the final boss. (Tiki Kong) DKCR's was more a mixture of DK94 and the same hand boss type you see in games like Zelda Wind Waker (Temple of the Gods) and Mario 64. (The pyramid boss)

That description makes it sound like Mega Man 3 or a boss from Sonic and Knuckles.

UnNamed

Banned
Despite the lack of power, Virtua Racing for Megadrive have some little elements missing in the other ports.

For example, in the Beginner Course, there's a little black bird over the banner on the second checkpoint, and it is in full 3d!
It's strange because more powerful hardware like arcade, 32x and even the PS2 port doesn't have this particular element.

Here's the photo
Ly8cQI7.png

MikeOShay

Neo Member

Whoa, by this boss you wouldn't happen to mean
Bongo-Bongo from Ocarina of Time, or Master/Crazy Hand from Smash Bros., or Wham Bam Rock from Kirby Super Star, would you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like that last one is the first place this boss type showed up. They're not all exactly the same, but they've got a lot of similarities. The last two, both by HAL Laboratories, share a lot of the same attacks, too.

jaypah

I wouldn't recommend doing that. That's a good way to puncture your eardrum. And no it doesn't.

My fingernails are incredibly short so I can put the tip of my finger right against my ear hole and barely move it to get the effect. And yeah, it sounds just like arcade Pac Man.

Edit: Also I've seen this before so it probably was in this thread. Nothing wrong with a refresher though!

Despite the lack of power, Virtua Racing for Megadrive have some little elements missing in the other ports.

For example, in the Beginner Course, there's a little black bird over the banner on the second checkpoint, and it is in full 3d!
It's strange because more powerful hardware like arcade, 32x and even the PS2 port doesn't have this particular element.

Here's the photo
Ly8cQI7.png
as a virtua racing nut who combed over all the beta releases I could find and emulate I never knew about this bird

Sakujou

Banned
I wouldn't recommend doing that. That's a good way to puncture your eardrum. And no it doesn't.

actually i needed a few retries before this worked for me. i have short finger nails and i think if you dont overdo it you will actually "hear" the real thing.

dont know if this was posted here, but i saw this pic in my folder and the jpg was from 2009 so...

:)

So I have played a lot of Dark Souls. Like probably over 500 hours. I have watched a lot of videos like Epic Name Bro's.

I just realized Pinwheel is in a giant coffin/sarcophagus.

I googled it just now so it's known, but it's the first time I've noticed.

Here's the photo
Ly8cQI7.png

Cool little detail!

F-Zero for the SNES is actually a top down racer, but because of mode 7, it looks 3d. So this is actually what you're controlling:
hqdefault.jpg

Here's a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnuCzV7SY-8

I'm pretty sure that's literally what mode 7 is. Mode 7 takes a flat (i.e. top down) image and makes it look like it has perspective by rendering each horizontal line of pixels differently than the previous line. Then the sprites are placed on top of the Mode 7 layer.

Phatcorns

I'm pretty sure that's literally what mode 7 is. Mode 7 takes a flat (i.e. top down) image and makes it look like it has perspective by rendering each horizontal line of pixels differently than the previous line. Then the sprites are placed on top of the Mode 7 layer.

Haha, yeah, I just learned that basically. Been playing that game for literally 24 years and just learned it when I was playing on my 3ds.

Myriadis

I just realized that in A Link To The Past, you can pick the fish that flop around after you drain the water at this place:
1jns0x.jpg

and actually sell it to the merchant (by throwing it at him) for 21 rupees and several bombs and arrows.
23msh4.jpg

I knew that you can pick it up, but selling it?

jaypah

I just realized that in A Link To The Past, you can pick the fish that flop around after you drain the water at this place:
1jns0x.jpg

and actually sell it to the merchant (by throwing it at him) for 21 rupees and several bombs and arrows.
23msh4.jpg

Whoa, never knew this! Thanks for posting 😊

Hycran

Banned
So I have played a lot of Dark Souls. Like probably over 500 hours. I have watched a lot of videos like Epic Name Bro's.

I just realized Pinwheel is in a giant coffin/sarcophagus.

I googled it just now so it's known, but it's the first time I've noticed.

Not to un-necro the pseudo necro, but you do know the place where this guy is found is called "The Tomb of the Giants" right? Seemed pretty obvious...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
1jns0x.jpg

23msh4.jpg

Bombs and Rupees are everywhere.

I prefer to throw him back in the water to get a Heart Piece.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm 99% sure the heart piece is made available just for draining the pond. Think the fish gives you a red rupee or something if you throw him into deep water.
Shit you might be right. Maybe? I could have sworn it gave you something better than a rupee.

I do remember the heart piece in the empty pond now though.

Fake edit: Oop, you're right. It is just a red rupee...
https://youtu.be/PariV-y4JVI?t=9m16s

Damn. Had I known you could sell it as a kid... I only knew about throwing him in the water because of Nintendo Power. They didn't even tell me about selling it. Damn you, Nintendo Power!!!!!

Can I resurect this thought? I always thought Kuribos were named after kuritake! They're an edible brown mushroom, and are reasonably goomba-shaped as far as mushrooms go:

120px-Ziegelrote_Schwefelk%C3%B6pfe.jpg

I thought the times Kuribos have been depicted as more chestnut-like (or as actual chestnuts in Mario World) were just having fun with the kuri/kuritake wordplay. Or at the very least, that kuri/kuritake would be an obvious enough pun to players that the devs felt it would be cute and not confusing to name a mushroom character after a chestnut.

I think I've read that the original intention was for the Goombas to be shiitake mushrooms:
Shiitake-Mushroom.jpg

Trike

1jns0x.jpg

23msh4.jpg

I found a secret in your secret

1G42pR3.jpg

coincidence???

The Adder

Banned
I'm surprised people hadn't heard the word "goomba" before; it's one of those words that people think Italian-Americans say all the time, but really they don't say it that often -- but still often enough that the average person knows it. Being born in Brooklyn, Mario's home, I heard it all the time as a child, and being Italian-American, Mario would naturally use this word.

Do you use the word "compadre" in Spanish? "Goomba" comes from the same word, but in Italian. Many English speakers cannot distinguish unaspirated consonants from voiced consonants (that is, they hear unaspirated "c" as a "g"), so you get words like compa as "goomba" and, lopping the vowel off at the end, stu cazzo as "stugots'" and (va) fan culo as "(va) fan gul'"

(Sorry for the vulgarisms, but I can't think of any "innocent" examples!)

Late on this, but the innocent examples would be food. Capicola becoming Gabagool and Mozzarella being pronounced Mootzarel.

Hylian7

This one recently hit me as I was watching all of Game Grumps' Wind Waker HD playthrough.

In Ocarina of Time, Zelda disguised herself as Sheik, who is basically a ninja.

In Wind Waker, Tetra is actually Zelda, and she is a pirate.

This parallel here is the common trope of pirates vs ninjas.

sugarless

I remember Mario Party continually referred to it as a "Hip Drop", which confused me as a kid who knew it as a Ground Pound.

The Japanese name for the move is Hip Drop, English is Ground Pound, but sometimes the Japanese name must have slipped through localisation as-is. In Japanese they use the loanword hip to mean butt, like saying a girl has 'sexy hip' is to see she has a cute butt, and it causes many people to think Hip can be used in English in the same way. The number of times Japanese kids would tell me I had "big hip" referring to my ass...

MikeOShay

Neo Member

ike_

- Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (DLC) introduces character Lizzy Stride operating a ship named Undine.
- Undertale character Undyne shares a pretty similar design & personality.

Coincidence? Probably.

Apokalyte

Neo Member
I'm amazed that after 30 years, nobody has figured out how to open the pink star box (inside lies an important secret) from Alex the Kidd in Miracle World.

ReyVGM

You know what has really bothered me for a long time about the SNES Star Fox?

The fact that one of the arwings disappears from the scramble intro. Check it out, you see the 4 ships leaving the base, when the camera gets behind the arwings, one of them gets out of the camera's view. When the arwings turn on the thrusts, only 3 of them are shown leaving the base. I thought that maybe the 4th arwing merged with the camera into a 1st person view but no, because otherwise the camera would have followed the other arwings too, and you only hear 3 thrusters anyways.

When the game starts, you also only see 3 ships exiting the base. When the camera gets behind your arwings, the 4th one magically appears on the screen.

Someone discovered unused Spiny egg physics by disassembling the original Super Mario Bros. game code! The eggs were supposed to fall at an angle if you're running and bounce off of obstacles!

The Spiny eggs are thrown by Lakitu in a simple way, with no horizontal movement whatsoever. However, this is not the intended behavior; it's actually the result of a bug! The eggs are supposed to be thrown out relative to the player's speed, Lakitu's speed, the player's position, and a pseudo-random value, as well as bounce off of any blocks or walls that they hit on the way down. The following patch will fix the Spiny egg bug:

A video of it in action.

Source for everything, also download the patch to "fix" your own SMB ROM: The Cutting Room Floor!

MikeOShay

Neo Member
Someone discovered unused Spiny egg physics by disassembling the original Super Mario Bros. game code! The eggs were supposed to fall at an angle if you're running and bounce off of obstacles!

A video of it in action.

Source for everything, also download the patch to "fix" your own SMB ROM: The Cutting Room Floor!

Is this real? Is there YET ANOTHER secret that this friggin' game brings us? Jeez, last year it was the Hammer Bros chasing you after a certain amount of time. I only wonder what 2017 will bring for the original Super Mario Bros.

Hasney

A video of it in action.

Was questioning if it was a bug or something Nintendo just found a way to change quickly because they didn't like it last minute, but looking at the code on the notes page, I think it is actually a bug.

https://tcrf.net/Notes:Super_Mario_Bros.

Time to dust off this thread...

I found this image in a directory on one of my really old PC's:

alexcasey_by_mister_k81-da38lyy.jpg

It is original concept art from Remedy that was created in 1996 featuring a character named Alex Casey. If I remember correctly, Alex Casey was one of the original proposed character designs for Max Payne. The character name was reused in the Alan Wake series as a series of books that were created by Alan Wake himself as not so subtle nod to the Max Payne series:

k7KXekm.png

A few other images that I had along with it:

maxconcept1_by_mister_k81-da38lym.jpg

Redesigned Alex Case from 1997 (though I think they were also playing around with the names Max Heat and Dick Justice as well at this point).

Random thug concepts:

lousypunk_by_mister_k81-da38lyr.jpg

maxconcept2_by_mister_k81-da38lyk.jpg

These have nothing to do with anything. But I will leave them here anyway.

Top Bottom