• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

PSqueak

Banned
That there was a statue of Lavos behind the guy trying to awaken him maybe? Not sure I understand either :p

It's exactly that, but it's interesting because at that point in the game we have absolutely no hints that Lavos might look like that at some point, as far as the player is concerned that's just a generic demon.

As the game advances you get glimpses of Lavo's outer shell form (the one that looks like some sort of shelled tick) so it kinda misleads what the player thinks Lavos is, more reason to think the statue in Magus' shrine is just generic.

The mindblowing part is that it's foreshadowing Lavos' second form and it escapes most people.

And the color of the sprites change to match the name of the town.

sj6XnPf.jpg

Pallet Town.
Cinnabar Island, Viridian City, Pewter City.
Cerulean City, Vermilion City,Lavander Town.
Celadon, Fiuchsia and Saffron City.

Pewter is Rock, Cerulean is Water, Celadon is grass,etc.

Do these color palettes only trigger when played on the Super Game Boy?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do these color palettes only trigger when played on the Super Game Boy?

Yeah, those are the SGB palettes, though Pokémon Yellow did have GameBoy Color support which used the same colour schemes (despite the box art using the old GameBoy banner)

Kandinsky

Speaking of Pokemon, my 5 years old nephew blew my mind with ArticUNO, ZapDOS and MolTRES, granted I dont play the games, so probably everybody knows this, still pretty cool lol

Thatanas

Speaking of Pokemon, my 5 years old nephew blew my mind with ArticUNO, ZapDOS and MolTRES, granted I dont play the games, so probably everybody knows this, still pretty cool lol
Obligatory:

Ekans spelled backwards is Snake.
Arbok spelled backwards is Kobra.
Muk spelled backwards is... Sticky stuff.

It's exactly that, but it's interesting because at that point in the game we have absolutely no hints that Lavos might look like that at some point, as far as the player is concerned that's just a generic demon.

As the game advances you get glimpses of Lavo's outer shell form (the one that looks like some sort of shelled tick) so it kinda misleads what the player thinks Lavos is, more reason to think the statue in Magus' shrine is just generic.

The mindblowing part is that it's foreshadowing Lavos' second form and it escapes most people.

If intentional it's quite interesting. However it's a bit doubtful that that statue is supposed to represent Lavos' second form. For one, what the image marks as "horns" are really more like organic tubes that connect him to the outer shell, of which he has four more going out of his back. Unless (considering where the arrow points) they mean the tiny horns on his head, which look nothing like the statue. The secondary arms come from the elbows in the statue and from the head in the real Lavos, the head and face look nothing alike (down to the statue having a mouth when Lavos has none), etc.

In plot terms Magus has zero reason to know what the inner Lavos looks like at that point, even considering his time-travel shenanigans and previous Lavos encounter. It could be a nod by the devs but it might as well be coincidence.

Cepheus

I just found out that in Mario Kart 8, if you have a Piranha Plant item and get inked, it will eat the squid before it covers your screen.

Also, if you hit a rock in the Animal Crossing course, you will get a coin like you get Bells when you hit rocks with shovels in the AC games.

Speaking of Animal Crossing, you can use different amiibos in New Leaf to have them come to your town as villagers. Using Ganondorf gives you a blue pig named Ganon. His catchphrase is 'he-he', after what he says when you get a game over in Zelda 2.

bjork

Speaking of Animal Crossing, you can use different amiibos in New Leaf to have them come to your town as villagers. Using Ganondorf gives you a blue pig named Ganon. His catchphrase is 'he-he', after what he says when you get a game over in Zelda 2.

Wait, what?

"GAME OVER RETURN OF GANON, he-he"?

devonodev

Remember the old meme that Valve's next big announcement will be Ricochet 2? The whole time it was about some futuristic FPS game.

I ALWAYS assumed it was the old Breakout style game I grew up playing, which I thought must have been Valve since I never looked it up. I'm shocked right now that there are two games called Ricochet.

Ricochet.jpg

2.jpg

Myriadis

Not a straight fact but interesting nonetheless:
In Breath of the Wild, a glitch was discovered not too long ago that strips Link of the shaders applied to him.
All you have to do is get to the southern gate of Lake Hylia Bridge and get into an alcove halfway up.
One explaination is that the game thinks that Link is behind a wall, and if "not seen by the camera" it removes the shaders to save processing power.
Pics from the vg247 article. Credit where it's due.

In Breath of the Wild, a glitch was discovered not too long ago that strips Link of the shaders applied to him.
All you have to do is get to the southern gate of Lake Hylia Bridge and get into an alcove halfway up.
One explaination is that the game thinks that Link is behind a wall, and if "not seen by the camera" it removes the shaders to save processing power.

That's a cool discovery but man does Link look creepy in that last pic. Like some weird shiny plastic barbie doll.

aaaaaa

some good stuff here: https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/2/16247112/video-game-developer-secrets

my faves:
Hi Octane (PS1) displayed different stats for vehicles without ever actually changing them under the hood

BioShock: first shots from an enemy always missed

SH: Shattered Memories: in a nightmare chase, if you respawn, the AI loses a sense (smell -> hearing -> sight)

Suikoden's world map: If players walk in a straight line, less enemies will appear, bc they're clearly trying to go SOMEWHERE and don't want to waste time. If players zig-zag around, more enemies will attack, to help them grind.

In Jak and Dexter the player would "for no reason" trip and fall to give enough time to load the next section off disc.

In F.E.A,R, we would bend bullets towards things that exploded. Cuz explosions are cool.

When you use the wrong portal in key moments of Portal 2 the portal on the other end will secretly change colour so you don't mess it up.

Zant's health in Zelda TP is measured by sword combos instead of damage taken. Means he'll only die at end of cool combo

SuomiDude

And now I can't unsee the mushroom house by the pipe that was clearly meant to be a clue to this shortcut. But we still missed it.
Next you're going to tell me you didn't know the secret area in world 2 that can only be reached by using the hammer on the upper right corner of the map? I mean as a kid, when I got the hammer, I used it basically on every rock that could lead to somewhere, I though everyone would be like that :D

cireza

Next you're going to tell me you didn't know the secret area in world 2 that can only be reached by using the hammer on the upper right corner of the map? I mean as a kid, when I got the hammer, I used it basically on every rock that could lead to somewhere, I though everyone would be like that :D
In World 2 there is a hint anyway, as you still hear the sound of the turtle moving on the map, while you technically have beaten all of them. That's because the last one is in the hidden part. Clever game-design.

SuomiDude

In World 2 there is a hint anyway, as you still hear the sound of the turtle moving on the map, while you technically have beaten all of them. That's because the last one is in the hidden part. Clever game-design.
Yeah, but like in world 6 (halfway through the world), that's pretty obvious place to at least try the hammer. I'm just honestly surprised to see couple of people in a row to never see that shortcut before :O

:eek:
That's pretty interesting. I'd think material flag(s) in the G-Buffer were getting accidentally overwritten by something, but until now I wasn't sure he was being drawn like that.

Supper Mario Broth again on SMB3:

tumblr_obygcmYmBA1rrftcdo1_500.gif

Defeating a Boom Boom with an Invincibility Star results in the Magic Ball immediatly appearing upside down. This can be done, without cheating, in the first fortress of World 6.

tumblr_ov92oa5vWp1rrftcdo1_500.gif

A glitch allows Mario to remain unharmed in the battle against Bowser as long as he is either Small Mario or ducking, but only while he is standing or moving on the breakable red bricks.

IIRC the World 2 secret was mentioned in the Nintendo Power strategy guide, so that one is more well known.

Boem

Yeah I agree with the guy who tried to use the hammer on every block. That's what me and my brothers did back when we had oceans of time and 1 game to play for months. I thought that was pretty well known (although not particularly useful).

Airola

Yeah I agree with the guy who tried to use the hammer on every block. That's what me and my brothers did back when we had oceans of time and 1 game to play for months. I thought that was pretty well known (although not particularly useful).

This is something I always wanted to try. I wanted to know what each rock might have hidden, but I never got myself trying that. I always ended up using the hammers with the same rocks over and over again. I think I thought that "if I use it on this rock right now, then I'm not able to use it on other rocks anymore" and continued playing the way I always played.

In Mega Man X3, if you got the four blue capsules, and none of the pink capsules, you can get a gold armor in the second part of the final stage.

Also, killing Vile before the final stage gets you Zero's saber.

I think those are very common secrets by now, but I finished that game more times than I care to remember, and it wasn't until last year that I found out about this, and it was such a treat.

In Metal Gear Solid, there's an incredibly missable codec talk near the second
Sniper Wolf
fight that foreshadows
Liquid's being alive.

Liquid's
Parachute
Holy shit I thought I knew the game inside out but this is a first for me.

I'm tempted to fire it up again just to see how the conversation goes in French.

Supper Mario Broth again on SMB3:

tumblr_obygcmYmBA1rrftcdo1_500.gif

Defeating a Boom Boom with an Invincibility Star results in the Magic Ball immediatly appearing upside down. This can be done, without cheating, in the first fortress of World 6.

tumblr_ov92oa5vWp1rrftcdo1_500.gif

A glitch allows Mario to remain unharmed in the battle against Bowser as long as he is either Small Mario or ducking, but only while he is standing or moving on the breakable red bricks.

Wow :eek:

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry if posted already, but there's a secret shortcut in World 4 of SMB 3. (as seen on Supermariobroth)

tumblr_ovjo02LBkY1rrftcdo1_400.gif
Are you fucking kidding me?

Though was that castle really that hard? Not really. You'd be better off just using that hammer to get that mushroom house by the pipe or using it on world 2 to get the warp whistle in the oasis. (Did anyone ever find that on their own without seeing it in Nintendo Power?)

Top Bottom