• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

NTom64

Dunno if this was posted already, but it got a decent reception in the Unleashed thread:

Big the Cat is played by Jon St. John...who also plays Duke Nukem.

Other Sonic related stuff:

In Sonic Heroes, Espio is voiced by Bill Corkery. His wife Emily and son William play Charmy and Tails respectively.

In Unleashed, the Day Stage theme of Mazuri is a remix of the credits theme from Sonic 1 (Master System/Game Gear version).

Again, in Unleashed (like someone above pointed out), there is also a Dreamcast in the cutscene before the final boss. Next to it, apparently, is a copy of Sonic Adventure, only with Eggman's picture on it and renamed to 'Eggman Adventure'.

Fuu said:
This just in from the latest Sonic Unleashed thread. When you see it...

1juatv.png

That is seriously the coolest thing ever.

big_z

B.K. said:
I was reading about Mega Man 7 and it mentions that Mega Man tries to kill Dr. Wily and Wily reminds him of the First Law of Robotics. That blew my mind. I never knew Mega Man was an Asimovian robot and was bound to the Three Laws of Robotics.

would have been awesome if when you finally arrive at wily expecting an epic battle he mentions that instead, a couple seconds of silence go by and then megaman just explodes.

Kilroy

Now, having my mind blown on several occasions, I wanted to return the favour.
You might have seen these, though:
In Street Fighter, there's several cases of sexual innuendo.
Like this:
guile1.jpg

She's clearly... giving him a massage.

And here:
women1.jpg

Well, behind Chun-Li's powerful thighs, you can perhaps see a man choking a chicken. And that does sound rather saucy.

Kilroy said:
Like this:
guile1.jpg

And here:
women1.jpg

Well, behind Chun-Li's powerful thighs, you can perhaps see a man choking a chicken. And that does sound rather saucy.

Hehe, awesome. :) The man in the background - the one who is being 'massaged' - looks rather happy, too.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Baiano19 said:
That guy was banned because everyone posting there couldn't see it and he used the weekend gaf argument...

Anyway, yeah at first I though it was just E.Honda´s attack, but it´s clearly Dhalsim.
I kinda think that its a guy painted on the wall behind. I know h isn't in the game's version of the level, but thats what it looks like.

Cheerilee

Chairhome said:
on the nes version, its actually "Edrick", which is a misspelling of the Dragon Warrior hero, but i just read that later remakes of the game changed it to Link.
Actually, in the original Japanese Famicom version, it was the grave of Link. Then in the English NES version it was the (misspelled) grave of Erdrick. Most likely having something to do with Nintendo of America being the one to translate and publish both Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on the NES.

It's remained Link in Japan through all the other releases of the game, and all of those versions that were brought over were translated faithfully enough to keep that reference intact, even on non-Nintendo systems.

Kirk

Kilroy said:
Like this:
guile1.jpg

Um, no she's not. Her left elbow is resting on his thigh, and her right hand is resting on her own left forearm. I don't know what you're looking at.

Although the pose is incredibly awkward.

Zohdom said:
The melody played when you use the flute in Legend of Zelda was reused for the flute in SMB3. In both cases, playing the flute summons a tornado that carries you away.

LOZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgMf3w8f4M& @ 5.52
SMB3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixK7FfFAkw @ 0.10

The same flute theme was used in the opening of Ocarina of Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMN0wRP0ZN4

That's not mind-blowing. That's pretty obvious.

Seems to me like this thread is dead.

wRATH2x

Banned
Holy shit this thread was mind blowing!!

Anyway I got something to add,I dont know if this is common videogaming knowledge or whatnot,but it seems Nintendo are fans of ridley scott,metroid was inspired by alien obviously,they even named the purple dragon ridley.

But what might not have known was another Nintendo game was inspired by one of scotts films,zelda was inspired by the movie legend,from what I heard miyamoto wanted to make zelda after watching Legend.

And no Im not bullshitting,it was in this history of gaming book I think,I remember a news story on gamespot mentioning this.

Forkball

If you've played Pokemon, you know that each Pokemon is numbered in the Pokedex (the encyclopedia that has basic Pokemon information). Bulbasaur is 1, Ivysaur 2, Venusaur 3 etc.

Anyways, Pikachu's number is 25:

PokemonElectronic25Pikachu.JPG

And Meowth's number is 52:

PokemonElectronic52Meowth.JPG

THE NUMBERS ARE REVERSE OF EACH OTHER. CAT AND MOUSE. FRIEND AND FOE.

Screenboy

Forkball said:
If you've played Pokemon, you know that each Pokemon is numbered in the Pokedex (the encyclopedia that has basic Pokemon information). Bulbasaur is 1, Ivysaur 2, Venusaur 3 etc.

*commits suicide

Shiggie

Forkball said:

:O

rpmurphy

Some Mother 3 stuff:
- The Pig Mask Army theme (the one that plays in the training grounds and whenever the army makes a debut) is a variation of Frere Jacques.

- マジプシー = Magypsy... or Magi-pussy? :p

Pokemon sprites that can't be unseen:
1223074111271s.jpg

Togekiss staring down Doduo

1220047642097.png

S1lentTwo

Banned
Philanthropist said:
I beat ICO twice and I didn't see this: Watermelon ending!

Oh, and the lightsaber.

Haha, that's awesome. Do you have the PAL version? If not, that explains why you didn't see that stuff. Soo not fair. I don't think that puzzle in the second clip is in the US version at all...I don't even recognize that ball thing that he threw.

Trevor360

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Some Mother 3 stuff:
- The Pig Mask Army theme (the one that plays in the training grounds and whenever the army makes a debut) is a variation of Frere Jacques.
That always bugged me.

Also, you might be reaching with those sprites.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The song that plays in the options menu of Snk vs Capcom - Millenium Fight 2000 has a sample of a Brazillian Beer TV AD Commercial.

While at the options menu, you can hear somebody say "Kaiser, uma grande cerveja, a cerveja dos momentos felizes" sampled in the middle of the music, meaning "Kaiser, a great beer, the beer of the happy moments" during the music, which was the beer's cathphrase at the time.

I couldn't find any good copies of the video online, so i made my own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJKuv_k7e60

I couldn't find the actual beer commercial anywhere, but you can totally hear it in the background.

I've always wondered how the hell that showed up there, but nobody knew back then.

Searching for the video on the web today to post it here, I found that, apparently, that music was made by a Brazillian DJ and that song used to play a lot in a Brazillian Radio Station in Japan. Apparently, it was a very successful song and capcom, somehow, got a hold of a copy and put it in the game. The person that said that went saying that the actual DJ emailed capcom to ask for a explanation and that's what they gave him.

I never heard that song before (I live in Brazil) and why did the DJ mail Capcom, instead of suing their asses? That's a very debatable answer but hey.. at least it makes sense.

The Hermit

rpmurphy said:
Some Mother 3 stuff:

It has similar beat but it´s not mind blowing...

drizzle said:
The song that plays in the options menu of Snk vs Capcom - Millenium Fight 2000 has a sample of a Brazillian Beer TV AD Commercial.

While at the options menu, you can hear somebody say "Kaiser, uma grande cerveja, a cerveja dos momentos felizes" sampled in the middle of the music, meaning "Kaiser, a great beer, the beer of the happy moments" during the music, which was the beer's cathphrase at the time.

I couldn't find the actual beer commercial anywhere, but you can totally hear it in the background.

Like this! :OO

Jazzem said:
Here's something I found out recently through youtube that amazed me...

Donkey Kong Land boss theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoy77U_hs4k

Blast Corps 'Jade Plateau' theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn96ZhC7Mj4&

These are both games I played prominently in my childhood and yet I never noticed :O

I love that theme!!

I want Blast Corps 2 now... :(

NotWii

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Heh. Here's one that's supposed to be pretty debated, since nobody can tell if it's just a coincidence or not.

From the end of Earthbound:

The Devil's Machine that seals in Giygas, found at the end of a long organic tunnel:
devilcervix488.jpg

Giygas himself, if you look closely:
giygasbaby310.gif

...Yeah. So, apparently Ness and friends were actually performing a cosmic abortion.
Subconsciously I felt this when playing... but WOW

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Tieno said:
IslandCompare.jpg

Left: silent cartagropher from Halo 1
Right: last level in Halo 3 "Halo".

Gaffer Cocopojo from ascendant justice blog found this one.
http://blog.ascendantjustice.com/halo-3/hindsight-halo-3/halo/

This honestly blew my mind, seeing as I knew they said that this was a remake of Installation 04, but to the point actually remaking the island? Wow man.

I was so busy trying to get the hell off of that thing to even realize that...

Bungie's incredible with this kind of stuff that they leave to the fans to find out...

Clipper

Wrath2X said:
But what might not have known was another Nintendo game was inspired by one of scotts films,zelda was inspired by the movie legend,from what I heard miyamoto wanted to make zelda after watching Legend.

And no Im not bullshitting,it was in this history of gaming book I think,I remember a news story on gamespot mentioning this.

You may have legitimately read this, but it is definitely a myth. Legend first screened in the UK in December 1985 (and not in the US until 1986). Legend of Zelda was released in Japan in February 1986. Are we to believe LoZ only took three months to make?:lol

Clipper said:
You may have legitimately read this, but it is definitely a myth. Legend first screened in the UK in December 1985 (and not in the US until 1986). Legend of Zelda was released in Japan in February 1986. Are we to believe LoZ only took three months to make?:lol

IMDB says France,28 August 1985 (if you dig deeper than the first page).
I think the game was in development for much longer, but it could easily have been an inspiration to the final design.

More Golden Axe fun.
In the arcade-only Revenge of Death Adder you fight a number of Amazonian soldiers that fight with their bare hands.

Their yell is ripped directly from a yell Grace Jones's character does in the movie Conan The Destroyer(sounds something like "YEAHHHHHH"). Also the Amazons wear gauntlets that were pulled from another character late in the movie.

drizzle said:

I've always wondered how the hell that showed up there, but nobody knew back then.

Searching for the video on the web today to post it here, I found that, apparently, that music was made by a Brazillian DJ and that song used to play a lot in a Brazillian Radio Station in Japan. Apparently, it was a very successful song and capcom, somehow, got a hold of a copy and put it in the game. The person that said that went saying that the actual DJ emailed capcom to ask for a explanation and that's what they gave him.

I never heard that song before (I live in Brazil) and why did the DJ mail Capcom, instead of suing their asses? That's a very debatable answer but hey.. at least it makes sense.

Mind blown

wRATH2x

Banned
Clipper said:
:lol I swear I read it on gamespot,but I didnt realize when it was released.

Thanks I guess.

IMDB says France,28 August 1985 (if you dig deeper than the first page).
I think the game was in development for much longer, but it could easily have been an inspiration to the final design.

So Im either right or wrong about something I read on the internet,go figure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Top Bottom