• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Cheerilee

RevenantKioku said:
I still standby my claim that you're crazy! I played Twilight Princess for a few hours left handed and as a righty I had no issues whatsoever!
Seriously, this is a really hard issue to grasp for a lot of us. Some of us have even tried! I guess I try to sympathize with you, but I can't! I just can't wrap my mind around the problem. It's a shame, maybe? Or it would be if TP didn't suck donkey dongs anyway.
The effect was real enough among right-handed people for Nintendo to go through the trouble of inverting the entire game.

OnPoint

RevenantKioku said:
I still standby my claim that you're crazy! I played Twilight Princess for a few hours left handed and as a righty I had no issues whatsoever!
Seriously, this is a really hard issue to grasp for a lot of us. Some of us have even tried! I guess I try to sympathize with you, but I can't! I just can't wrap my mind around the problem. It's a shame, maybe? Or it would be if TP didn't suck donkey dongs anyway.

RevenantKioku
PEINS PEINS PEINS
PEINS PEINS PEINS
PEINS PEINS PEINS
PEINS PEINS PEINS
oh god i am drowning in them

(Today, 02:54 AM)
Reply | Quote

And there are those who disagree. But hey, opinions are a wonderful thing.

Orison

Neo Member
As Castor Krieg pointed out, Ōkami is built heavily around Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess of Shinto mythology. Amaterasu is also central to the Shinto creation myth of the Japanese archipelago. In Okami, you play Amaterasu's terrestrial avatar in the form of a wolf. In-game, most NPCs assume or treat Ammy to be a male in a mostly-neutral way; the manual states that the wolf is deliberately written to be neuter to the player, although Amaterasu is considered female.

Also, the title is a slight pun in Japanese. Note that I spelled it "Ōkami" and not "Okami" above. The NTSC box art for both Wii and PS2 have the Ō. Quick Japanese lesson: When writing in Roman characters, a macron (that flat line on top of the O) on a vowel indicates that the vowel is long, and it's shorthand for writing Oo.

oo-kami (大神) would be the correct word for "great [or big, mighty, etc] god/goddess". This is also the kanji used on the box art/etc in Japan.

ookami (狼) simply is the Japanese word for "wolf." You know, Ammy.

Don't hurt me. I took two years of Japanese in uni and I've got to do something to show for it. Bonus: Be glad it's not "okama." That's slang for "drag queen."

oracrest

SovanJedi said:
tarasque.jpg

neat!

and here I thought it was just a made up DnD thing.

tarrasque.png

I always thought Bowser was a normal Koopa, just older and stronger.

it blows my mind that those fucking moron toads in super mario bros 3 don't just give you all the items in their toad house to help you get the princess back. don't they want her found? and furthermore, why don't the toads that run the matching games just give you as many 1ups as you need instead of making you play some stupid game? do they not get the seriousness of it all?? the whole world is against mario, i swear.

oracrest

Did anyone else notice that the Boss death sound in Golden Axe was taken from an audio clip of Conan the Barbarian?

Golden Axe (1:40)

I can't find the clip from conan the barbarian, but it's right when Rexor gets impaled by the trap at the end.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
oracrest said:
I always thought Bowser was a normal Koopa, just older and stronger.
that's one scary thought... Every one of the millions of koopas I've jumped on would have gone on to become a huge princess nabbing piece of shit? The world desperately needs Mario then...

Talladega Knight said:
it blows my mind that those fucking moron toads in super mario bros 3 don't just give you all the items in their toad house to help you get the princess back. don't they want her found? and furthermore, why don't the toads that run the matching games just give you as many 1ups as you need instead of making you play some stupid game? do they not get the seriousness of it all?? the whole world is against mario, i swear.
Good points, but Peach wasn't kidnapped until near the end of the game.

Didn't the flipnote studio Iwata asks (part 2, the bit with the animator) reveal Miyamoto originally designed Bowser as an Ox (based off a certain Toei animation character) which explains the horns and the blue skin seen in the SMB1 boxart posted a few pages back but when some people looked at it they were like "Oh, a turtle".

oracrest

Fimbulvetr said:
Most monsters in RPGs are mythology based.

Right, but I thought that one was one they just invented, like a beholder (which I suppose is just a half medusa, half cyclops sort of thing itself.) Sometimes they really miss the mark on their mythology references (gorgon)

iidesuyo

Now you can all laugh at me. As a kid, I thougt the Gumbas were actually the heads of an eagle, with their bodies being a bark.

mario_und_zwei_gumbas.gif

I know it made zero sense, but question marks floating in the air did not make sense either.

This has annoyed me in Secret of Mana. The entire world is going down, the Mana Fortress is in the air, yet those stupid salesmen charge you big time for a decent armor. They could at least give hero a chocolate for free :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OnPoint said:
Alright, I noticed something.

33ot9g4.jpg

The shape of the Wii when not on the stand is the same as the part of the wrist strap toward the bottom of the picture. The strap even comes out from the same place you put the discs in. Spooky.

2qxvxnd.jpg
Noticed before the system came out, but I guess some people may of missed it. A very nice touch.

Most of the game takes place in Kingdoms that aren't the Mushroom Kingdom (Or maybe are Principalities under the Mushroom Kingdom), so they most likely don't care that much about a foreign nations princess.

Drkirby said:
Noticed before the system came out, but I guess some people may of missed it. A very nice touch.

Most of the game takes place in Kingdoms that aren't the Mushroom Kingdom (Or maybe are Principalities under the Mushroom Kingdom), so they most likely don't care that much about a foreign nations princess.
SMB3 took place in the Mushroom World.

whitehawk

Banned
OnPoint said:

33ot9g4.jpg

The shape of the Wii when not on the stand is the same as the part of the wrist strap toward the bottom of the picture. The strap even comes out from the same place you put the discs in. Spooky.

2qxvxnd.jpg
Wait I don't get it. What are you talking about?

bengraven

OnPoint said:

33ot9g4.jpg

2qxvxnd.jpg

Didn't everyone notice this? I meant to post this way earlier in the thread, but was worried I'd be laughed out of here.

OnPoint

bengraven said:
Didn't everyone notice this? I meant to post this way earlier in the thread, but was worried I'd be laughed out of here.

bengraven
too mature for this board
(Today, 08:22 PM)
Reply | Quote

But honestly, I just wanted to participate haha Maybe it's not mind blowing, but it is fun. And in the end, isn't that what video games are all about?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Talladega Knight said:
It doesn't matter, Peach wasn't really in danger. The whole game was a play :p

iidesuyo said:
This has annoyed me in Secret of Mana. The entire world is going down, the Mana Fortress is in the air, yet those stupid salesmen charge you big time for a decent armor. They could at least give hero a chocolate for free :D

Wasn't there an early Final Fantasy that addressed this? Shop keepers gave you heavy discounts later in the game because they figured out your group of heroes were actually the ones getting things done.

I mean, think of the opposite. How many groups of unlikely, plucky adventurers stroll in to the shop after barging into someone's house next door to check it for errant gold, telling you that they're the ones going to stop the great evil if you'd just give them the best sword in your shop for free. :lol

SOLDIER

There's an NPC in Dark Cloud that is a dead ringer for Yuffie, in both appearance and clothing. She's in the 2nd town, I believe her name is Momo. I can't find a picture though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jaded Alyx said:
I hope to God that people know this already. If not, then...
I haven't played MP3 yet so my mind is blown. It's a cool touch!

From the "OK, I admit it, Miyamoto is a friggin genius" thread:
ElFly said:
I am not sure if Miyamoto should be credited for this, but I realized that the guys at Nintendo were genius when I reached Ganon's Tower in aLttP.

From the moment you get the pegasus boots, you notice something weird. Everytime you run and hit and obstacle, you bounce back a little. It doesn't really damage you, but it looks like you were hit. It's kind of annoying, but you deal.

BUT, in the very last dungeon, there is a platform that you can only reach by abusing the bounce from the boots. Every other method that the game has trained you to use (hookshot, the staff that makes blocks) to jump over pits fails.

Zelda_ALttP_bounce_back.png

When I realized this, my mind was blown. The bounce back was useless through the whole game, yet, you can use it there to reach a couple of extra faeries.
That blew my mind. I'll have to try it the next time I have access to my GBA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Xav said:
The 4 bars on the top of the HUD in Metroid Prime 3 display the battery life of your Wii Remote.

29lo7pw.jpg

Common knowledge, but a good reminder as to how awesome the
Pirate Homeworld
is.

Korey

I recently finished Apollo Justice so I read up some more on it since the storytelling was so good.

Warning: massive spoilers ahead

In Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, the Troupe Gramarye play an important part in all of the cases although you don't realize it until the end of the final case. Lamiroir for example turns out to be Thalassa Gramarye, the wife of Zak Gramarye and the mother of Trucy and Apollo. There was a small hint earlier in the game: Lamiroir's diamond-shaped brooch was used as an important piece of evidence in the third case.

All of the members of Troupe Gramareye have their capes held by a brooch in a shape of one of the suits in a deck of cards:

• Magnifi Gramarye - Spades
  • Zak Gramarye - Clubs
  • Valant Gramarye - Hearts
  • Thalassa Gramarye - Diamond
    , as Lamiroir:
  • Trucy - Diamond
    image,
    as a kid wearing her dad's colors with her mom's brooch:
  • Of course, while Trucy inherited her mom's symbol, Apollo inherited one of her bracelets.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
OMG Aero said:
Wait is this real?
Is this added to the other Prime games in Metroid Prime Trilogy?

Iono about the Trilogy, but yes it is real. I thought it was common knowledge :/.

Diglet

Neo Member
Talladega Knight said:

Haha I never even thought about that. It's entirley true though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think you guys may have missed that SMB3 is a play. I didn't believe it at first either but was eventually convinced.

But how come the Cube games have them also? Do they act as a battery meter for the Wavebird or something?

Well, that makes sense, I guess, thanks for clearing that up!
\/\/\/

magicalsoundshower said:
But how come the Cube games have them also? Do they act as a battery meter for the Wavebird or something?
Originally it was just there for visual look, but in 3 they turned it into a battery meter for fun :p

Top Bottom