• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Korey said:
I recently finished Apollo Justice so I read up some more on it since the storytelling was so good.

Warning: massive spoilers ahead

In Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, the Troupe Gramarye play an important part in all of the cases although you don't realize it until the end of the final case. Lamiroir for example turns out to be Thalassa Gramarye, the wife of Zak Gramarye and the mother of Trucy and Apollo. There was a small hint earlier in the game: Lamiroir's diamond-shaped brooch was used as an important piece of evidence in the third case.

All of the members of Troupe Gramareye have their capes held by a brooch in a shape of one of the suits in a deck of cards:

• Magnifi Gramarye - Spades
  • Zak Gramarye - Clubs
  • Valant Gramarye - Hearts
  • Thalassa Gramarye - Diamond
    , as Lamiroir:
  • Trucy - Diamond
    image,
    as a kid wearing her dad's colors with her mom's brooch:
  • Of course, while Trucy inherited her mom's symbol, Apollo inherited one of her bracelets.

Totally didn't notice that, nice!!

And wow at the MP3 one!

Kilroy

This blew my mind yesterday, and I'm pretty sure it's nothing special. But on the cover of Resident Evil 5?
residentevil5frontcover.jpg

What I first thought was a wall with "Kijuju" written over and over, is Africa. When I saw it, I just stood and stared at it for ten minutes.

Edit: I can't believe I haven't seen it before. It's SO obvious :O

Isn't much of a mindblow, but I've been replaying Chrono Trigger for the umpteenth time since 1995, and I just noticed these two things:

I noticed that the light green(1000AD) and maroonish red(600AD) rooftops on the overworld are the buildings you can visit the others you cant. Never really caught onto the color separation.
5a6ms.gif

33bp9xs.gif

The 2nd one I can't find a pic for, but if you're on the world map and stand for a few seconds, your characters will go into a little animation. I never noticed that lucca's animation is her sitting and reading a book. It always looked to me like she had some sort of gas mask on.

I just can't believe I never noticed it.

EDIT-Also, I was reading the english/japanese translation differences the other day between the game, and I've always thought that "TitanArmor" was exactly how it was, meaning Titan(like the mythology), but its not. It really stands for Titanium Armor. Pretty cool.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh lawd, I too had no idea. I feel like an idiot.

Rufus

Kilroy said:
What I first thought was a wall with "Kijuju" written over and over, is Africa.
Seriously? With all the controversy over the setting, and now you get it. How is that not the first thing you see?

Kilroy said:
This blew my mind yesterday, and I'm pretty sure it's nothing special. But on the cover of Resident Evil 5?What I first thought was a wall with "Kijuju" written over and over, is Africa. When I saw it, I just stood and stared at it for ten minutes.

:lol

Desiato

Did you guys just sleep your way through geography? How can you not recognise Africa right away? Knowing the game takes place in Africa and all the controversy surrounding this.

MNC

How did people not notice the battery is beyond me. Do you guys get mindfazzled if I say that Samus lowers her armcannon as soon as you turn off the wii with the wiimote (dunno about the button itself)

webrunner

MNC said:
How did people not notice the battery is beyond me. Do you guys get mindfazzled if I say that Samus lowers her armcannon as soon as you turn off the wii with the wiimote (dunno about the button itself)

What's beyond me is how it's considered to be so obvious: People aren't used to looking for the battery in-game when there's other ways to check, and people aren't going to assume that what appears to be UI decoration has any meaning. The only time they'd notice is if that they notice it going down, which happens so slowly that it wouldn't be obvious then either.

eXistor

MNC said:
I don't think it's obvious at all.

MNC

Alright, rephrase: I find it odd that people just start noticing this, but that's probably thanks to the trilogy. Around release of the original MP3 I was baffled as well :D

Clipper

webrunner said:
What's beyond me is how it's considered to be so obvious: People aren't used to looking for the battery in-game when there's other ways to check, and people aren't going to assume that what appears to be UI decoration has any meaning. The only time they'd notice is if that they notice it going down, which happens so slowly that it wouldn't be obvious then either.
IIRC, it also changes colour and starts flashing when there's only one bar left. That's what made me notice it, as it really is quite distracting. I can understand people not noticing if they keep their Wii remotes well charged.

louis89

Kilroy said:
This blew my mind yesterday, and I'm pretty sure it's nothing special. But on the cover of Resident Evil 5?

What I first thought was a wall with "Kijuju" written over and over, is Africa. When I saw it, I just stood and stared at it for ten minutes.

That must have looked like the most boring cover ever to you.

MaxSteel

wow i didn't notice africa on the RE5 cover either. makes the cover just slightly less lame.

and yeah - def never realized that that was your battery life in metroid. that's so unnecessary and pointless. i think i remember being frustrated trying to figure out what those 4 things were.

Kilroy said:

If you think about it, it could also be a skull with the teeth on the lower right, just a little bit over "CAPCOM".

Well how about this?

In SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium (ie the best Handheld fighter ever made) there was a little easter egg featuring various SNK and Capcom cameos whenever you plugged the NeoGeo Pocket color game into an older Black and White NGP

A while back I collected them a LONG time ago hoping that someone could translate the messages. If the game is set to English, you get the same message for every pic about the game being incompatible, but in Japanese it's a little conversation.

or2c8o.jpg
6zq4pl.gif
29zvnsl.gif

idc7px.gif
346ukg5.gif
24w7nk3.gif

20kwqdw.gif
2dioxl1.gif
vsjawy.gif

1qqz4g.gif
ms2fqg.gif
nwhg77.gif

Long time lurker, first post so be nice :p

So there I am playing Heavenly Sword for the first time in months last night, when I decided to take a break. I was watching the dev videos and saw the actress who played Nariko. I thought she was a hottie so I googled her.

Anna Torv (born April 15, 1979) is an Australian actress who plays FBI agent Olivia Dunham on the FOX series Fringe. She is also known for her role as the voice, motion capture performer, and face of the main character Nariko in the Playstation 3 game Heavenly Sword.

fringe_show_anna_torv_heavenly_sword_nariko.jpg

Could just be me and the fact I didn't know this, but

youre-totally-shitting-me.jpg

TheShampion said:
Does anyone know why Aghanim is green? He is red in all the concept art...and in the comic book. He is only green in the game. Is there a deep, dark secret there?

Maybe somebody was color blind

So I'm continuing my Chrono Trigger run and I finished the
rainbow shell
quest. I went down into Guardia's dining room and noticed something that GAF will love.

It's a bit small but here ya go:

2n7gjg7.png

I find it funny that the soldiers hair is the exact same color and his hands are around his back.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lionheart1827 said:
rainbow shell
quest. I went down into Guardia's dining room and noticed something that GAF will love.

2n7gjg7.png

I find it funny that the soldiers hair is the exact same color and his hands are around his back.
Haha, awesome! :lol

Oni Jazar

LLaMa-Tech said:

So there I am playing Heavenly Sword for the first time in months last night, when I decided to take a break. I was watching the dev videos and saw the actress who played Nariko. I thought she was a hottie so I googled her.

Anna Torv (born April 15, 1979) is an Australian actress who plays FBI agent Olivia Dunham on the FOX series Fringe. She is also known for her role as the voice, motion capture performer, and face of the main character Nariko in the Playstation 3 game Heavenly Sword.

Wow cool

Screenboy

Lionheart1827 said:
rainbow shell

2n7gjg7.png

what we looking at

Struct09

LLaMa-Tech said:

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/fringe_show_anna_torv_heavenly_sword_nariko.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://daisyfae.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/youre-totally-shitting-me.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I kind of suspected this the first time I watched Fringe, but never remembered to look it up. Cool to know.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kilroy said:

haha...
just noticed africa as well.....

also, pokemon dont say their names. they are named after what they say.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
LLaMa-Tech said:

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/fringe_show_anna_torv_heavenly_sword_nariko.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://daisyfae.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/youre-totally-shitting-me.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's mindblowing because the two look nothing alike. There, I said it :P

[QUOTE=Screenboy]what we looking at[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/ih8hoy.png

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Choppasmith said:
Well how about this?

In SNK vs Capcom Match of the Millenium (ie the best Handheld fighter ever made) there was a little easter egg featuring various SNK and Capcom cameos whenever you plugged the NeoGeo Pocket color game into an older Black and White NGP

A while back I collected them a LONG time ago hoping that someone could translate the messages. If the game is set to English, you get the same message for every pic about the game being incompatible, but in Japanese it's a little conversation.

or2c8o.jpg
6zq4pl.gif
29zvnsl.gif

idc7px.gif
346ukg5.gif
24w7nk3.gif

20kwqdw.gif
2dioxl1.gif
vsjawy.gif

1qqz4g.gif
ms2fqg.gif
nwhg77.gif

its the best game in the snk vs capcom series(or capcom vs snk if you want to be technical) and part of it is because of little details like this

Kirk

Sigh...the only disadvantage to not watching TV is that all the memes go over your head. I had a hard enough time deciphering "Yo dawg I heard..." and then this comes along... :lol

For those that are in the dark like me, apparently this is something to do with "To Catch a Predator".

Sorry if I spoiled the cachet of the in-joke guys.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Xav said:
The 4 bars on the top of the HUD in Metroid Prime 3 display the battery life of your Wii Remote.

29lo7pw.jpg

I feel like an idiot....I always thought those were your energy tanks.

Edit: nm, I see what your talking about now. On the actual helmet, not the glass.

Zodzilla

Korey said:
I recently finished Apollo Justice so I read up some more on it since the storytelling was so good.

Warning: massive spoilers ahead

In Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, the Troupe Gramarye play an important part in all of the cases although you don't realize it until the end of the final case. Lamiroir for example turns out to be Thalassa Gramarye, the wife of Zak Gramarye and the mother of Trucy and Apollo. There was a small hint earlier in the game: Lamiroir's diamond-shaped brooch was used as an important piece of evidence in the third case.

All of the members of Troupe Gramareye have their capes held by a brooch in a shape of one of the suits in a deck of cards:

• Magnifi Gramarye - Spades
  • Zak Gramarye - Clubs
  • Valant Gramarye - Hearts
  • Thalassa Gramarye - Diamond
    , as Lamiroir:
  • Trucy - Diamond
    image,
    as a kid wearing her dad's colors with her mom's brooch:
  • Of course, while Trucy inherited her mom's symbol, Apollo inherited one of her bracelets.

Wow, I didn't notice that at all! Good one. I guess it also makes sense that
Lamiroir would be blind, as the bracelet she once had on gives Apollo "enhanced" vision.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
MNC said:
Wait, what.
Really?

Heavier, more memory chips
More memory chips, more content
more content, takes longer to finish.

It's not an exact science, but it's a pretty good guess.

MNC

No doubt, but is it really that noticeable? I thought they would just use larger filesize'd chips, not actual size.

Top Bottom