• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Anso

Seda said:
In Pokemon Blue, before you challenge Gary at the Pokemon Tower in Lavender town, he asks if you've ever known what its like to have a Pokemon die.

At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate.

Now THERE's some mind blowing stuff :O

CoilShot

1up said:
skifree.png

I feel like my life is a lie!

Wow! I didn't think it was possible to out run him.

MarkusRJR

Seda said:
In Pokemon Blue, before you challenge Gary at the Pokemon Tower in Lavender town, he asks if you've ever known what its like to have a Pokemon die.

:eek: MIND BLOWN

kai3345

Banned
Seda said:

holy shit

Seda said:

MIND.

BLOWN.

Rogultgot

Seda said:

Get the fuck out of here.

ZAK

Seda said:

WAT

Darklord

Banned
Seda said:

Just when you thought this thread was finished. BOOM.

Seda said:

I think... I think you just changed my perception of life.

Pulgo1

Seda said:

I've played through that part at least ten times and never noticed that. Wow.

Datrio

Seda said:

Mindblown. Remember that the Pokemon Tower is a resting place for dead Pokemon, so it all makes sense.

Seda said:

No he doesn't.

Seda said:
It gets replaced by a growlithe....
No, I mean, he doesn't say that.

From the game script:

Blue :{S} Hey, RED! What brings you here? Your POKEMON don't look dead!
I can at least make them faint! Let's go, pal!

{E} What? You stinker! I took it easy on you too!

How's your POKEDEX coming, pal? I just caught a CUBONE! I can't
find the grown-up MAROWAK yet! I doubt there are any left!
Well, I better get going! I've got a lot to accomplish, pal!
Smell ya later!

[006] : Even we could not identify the wayward GHOSTs! A SILPH SCOPE might
be able to unmask them.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/file/907714/48982

mclem

Blue :{S} Hey, RED! What brings you here? Your POKEMON don't look dead!

It's possibly being charitable, but: What brings *him* there? You could *possibly* extrapolate that one of his *is* dead.

Possibly.

mclem said:
It's possibly being charitable, but: What brings *him* there? You could *possibly* extrapolate that one of his *is* dead.

Possibly.
Snorlax would logically be blocking his path, too. He might have gone up, realized he didn't have the scope, and found some way around.

tenritsu

Banned
Seda said:
Sorry guys, my memory is apparently not what it used to be :(
Honestly, I don't think you were stretching it.

By him even asking why Red was there and that his Pokemon don't look dead, your supposed to make the assumption Raticate died.

My mind is still blown, and I will never look at that section of Red the same again..

mclem

Out of interest, is this phrased differently in the Japanese version? Sounds like something that could get bowdlerised.

BowieZ

Banned
OMG Aero said:
I don't think the fact that Nintendo remixes their old music is mind blowing any more.
Is anything in this thread mind-blowing any more? Geez. Gimme a break. If you knew about this particular musical relationship, or you've never played Mario Kart Wii, then fine. But come on.

I'm a musician ALWAYS with my ears peeled for such "remixes" and I didn't figure this one out for 18 months.

BowieZ

Banned
Souldriver said:
I don't believe that that is an intended remix. We're talking about a segment of 2 seconds which aren't even that alike to begin with...
They're exactly the same notes and nearly the same rhythm. That's pretty striking for 6 notes. In a row. Both incredibly prominently featured. Do you know much about leitmotif?

BowieZ said:
They're exactly the same notes and nearly the same rhythm. That's pretty striking for 6 notes. In a row. Both incredibly prominently featured. Do you know much about leitmotif?
I'm really not trying to make any sort of mean or snide comments here, but it seems pretty clear to me that you do know a hell of a lot more about music composition and theory than most people, so you will have to excuse people when they don't quite get all of the references that you find.

You have to realize that most people aren't going to pick up on songs being an "inversion" of another or repeated patterns in 6 note segments that to the average person don't sound "instrumentally" similar, but may in fact be a similar or even exact note progression.

Not that I don't appreciate what you find (or even create yourself), it's just that it is obvious that most of the things you point out go way over many people's heads. Mine included sometimes.

ImNotLikeThem said:
I'm really not trying to make any sort of mean or snide comments here, but it seems pretty clear to me that you do know a hell of a lot more about music composition and theory than most people, so you will have to excuse people when they don't quite get all of the references that you find.

You have to realize that most people aren't going to pick up on songs being an "inversion" of another or repeated patterns in 6 note segments that to the average person don't sound "instrumentally" similar, but may in fact be a similar or even exact note progression.

Not that I don't appreciate what you find (or even create yourself), it's just that it is obvious that most of the things you point out go way over many people's heads. Mine included sometimes.
Wait, how can what he show go over people's heads when he made an MP3 that made it very clear the note similarity?

RotBot

http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/lets-over-analyze-the-subspace-emissary/
This post is really, really late, seeing as how Super Smash Bros. Brawl has been out for a long time now, but I was thinking about the story mode recently and my theories on it back when the game first came out. As such, I want to record them here for all of you.

Warning, spoilers follow.

The basic plot of the “Subspace Emissary,” or the story mode in Smash Bros. Brawl, is that a mysterious being called the Ancient Minister is detonating Subspace Bombs and destroying parts of the Smash Bros. universe for some diabolical scheme. We later learn that the Ancient Minister is actually the Robot Operating Buddy that was originally released with the Nintendo Entertainment System, and that R.O.B. is being controlled by Master Hand, a gigantic disembodied right hand that is like a “god” of sorts. However, it also turns out that Master Hand is being controlled by a being who rules Subspace named Tabuu, who is also the ultimate opponent in Subspace Emissary.

Looking back at the original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64, the game’s cinematic opening implies to us the true identity of Master Hand (and by extension the left “Crazy Hand” from Melee on). Master Hand’s domain is a room which contains a desk, a chair, and a toy chest from which he pulls out dolls of his favorite Nintendo characters. In other words, Master Hand is a kid who is just having fun with his toys and his video games, and that is why he is the default final boss in the series.

Who is Tabuu, then? Well, he is a being more powerful than Master Hand, who controls and restrains Master Hand against the hand’s will. He is capable of attacking with “Off Waves,” which renders the Nintendo (and Sega and Konami) heroes lifeless. He is described in the game as “having been born in a vastly foreign realm” and also “possess[ing] great leadership powers.” If you look more closely, you will see that the true identity of Tabuu is Master Hand’s father, or specifically the father of the kid playing with his video game toys. He rules subspace as a great leader and he is capable of turning “off” the child’s games.

The greatest evidence towards Tabuu being a child’s imaginary representation of his dad comes in the form of R.O.B. Prior to the start of the Subspace Emissary, Tabuu attacks R.O.B. and forces it and its loyal followers to do his bidding or risk further destruction. Why is R.O.B. of all characters the titular subspace emissary? Why is he the border between the Smash world and Subspace? If you look at what R.O.B. actually is, then the answer becomes clear.

R.O.B. was originally released as a toy to go along with the NES to play R.O.B.-specific games, and was instrumental in tricking convincing parents to buy a video game entertainment system for their kids. R.O.B., to those parents and even some kids, was the most visible part of the NES. More importantly, R.O.B. in his original games exists as both a character on-screen and as a physical object in the real world, making R.O.B.s the ideal messengers between Subspace (the real world) and the Smash world (video games and imagination).

So in actuality, the “Subspace Emissary” is an allegory for a father telling his child to stop playing with toys because they have to go do something away from the realm of video games and fun, like go visit grandma. The child, i.e. “Master Hand,” is thus captured by the evil “Tabuu,” who seeks to turn everything “off” and control everything. The father destroys and enslaves the R.O.B.s first because they are the easiest targets and the only ones to truly be both physical and imaginary. The child/Master Hand in turn must be saved by his own creations, the characters of Smash Bros. Whether the “defeat” of “Tabuu” happened in reality or purely in the mind of the child is sadly unknown.

tl;dr: Master Hand is a child playing with his toys and video games. Tabuu is his father. Subspace is the real world and Smash world is the imaginary video game world. Because R.O.B. exists as both a physical presence in the real world and as a video game character, Tabuu used it as his messenger.

Sagitario

DavidDayton said:
Eh, I don't really see the connection. I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but it seems quite vague and "reaching".

I don't think it's reaching it and the connection looks kind of obvious and not really vague me...

It's really common for companies to do this kind of stuff [looking for random pics on the internet to use]...

I mean, didn't Sony use a PGR picture for a GTHD video banner?

Anyway, more pics, now with more Malo goodness :p ...

nightez

Banned
Farore said:
I don't think it's reaching it and the connection looks kind of obvious and not really vague me...

It's really common for companies to do this kind of stuff [looking for random pics on the internet to use]...

I mean, didn't Sony use a PGR picture for a GTHD video banner?

Anyway, more pics, now with more Malo goodness :p ...

That guy has hair tho

Mak

BowieZ said:
No offense, but I mean, I'm a composer (not saying you're not or anything, but y'know) and I'm aware of the strong relationships,

Nope, I am not! I couldn't tell you if a song were inversed or not, so I shouldn't have worded the reply to the quote as I did. I've heard Saria's Song from OoT might be an inverse of the Lost Woods from ALttP, but don't know how I'd go about seeing that. What I commented on afterwards was something I had been thinking about for a while purely by listening.

reetva said:
So, uh, not sure if this is common knowledge, but you know how
in Wind Waker, Hyrule is underwater
? Well, going by Mak's post on page 80, this has been a long time coming.

Now that's reaching.

Easy_D said:
I bet everyone knows this :(.

The music used in The Minish Cap when the door closes and you have to defeat enemies is the same music as the battle music in the Japanese version of Zelda 2.

When I was playing through The Minish Cap I had that song stuck in my head and it was driving me nuts because it seemed familar until I kept humming it and realized it was from the Japanese version of Zelda 2.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Mak said:
When I was playing through The Minish Cap I had that song stuck in my head and it was driving me nuts because it seemed familar until I kept humming it and realized it was from the Japanese version of Zelda 2.
Oh I know that feeling, I'd randomly whistle the world 1 song from Super Mario Land, this went on for years and I just kept wondering where the hell I picked up such a great catchy tune, then like 2 years ago I played SML and I recognized the song instantly, I was so relieved :lol.

OMG Aero

RotBot said:
http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/lets-over-analyze-the-subspace-emissary/

tl;dr: Master Hand is a child playing with his toys and video games. Tabuu is his father. Subspace is the real world and Smash world is the imaginary video game world. Because R.O.B. exists as both a physical presence in the real world and as a video game character, Tabuu used it as his messenger.
Also Crazy Hand is the child's annoying little brother who wants to break all his toys.

Metal B

RotBot said:

And when Tabuu take all the landmarks with the Subspace Bombs, the father in reality take away the videogames form his child and hide them all together in one place. (Big maze)

ElNarez

Banned
Michael Jackson wrote the music for Sonic 3. Now it's official. From the mouth of Brad Buxer himself :
I've never played the game so I do not know what tracks on which Michael and I have worked the developers have kept, but we did compose music for the game. Michael called me at the time for help on this project, and that's what I did.
And if he is not credited for composing the music, it's because he was not happy with the result sound coming out of the console. At the time, game consoles did not allow an optimal sound reproduction, and Michael found it frustrating. He did not want to be associated with a product that devalued his music...

Holepunch

I forgot about this little gem I found. Remember the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Hot Coffee debacle? Everyone was getting up in arms over a locked minigame of fully clothed sex? How dare this smut make its way into my murder simulator completely inaccessible except by mods?

What people don't realize is that there was actually something already like this in the game.
GTASA.jpg

What you see here is right when CJ and Ryder bust into a crackhouse to kill some dealers. What you probably never noticed was the guy in background getting a blowjob before you so rudely interrupted.

Here is the link to the video I snagged the screencap from. Just jump to 7:10 to see it in its blurry low-grade action.

Yup, somehow nearly everyone failed to notice this:lol

butzopower

proud of his butz
More of an origin story than a fact, but Mike Booth, lead designer of Left 4 Dead just finished a talk at my university and revealed that the basic idea of Left 4 Dead came from testing the Counter Strike bots they were creating and facing off against 30 or so of them only allowing the bots to use knives. Thought that was really interesting, though maybe not mind blowing.

Top Bottom