• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

theluma

Jocchan said:
Nothing even remotely mindblowing. Interiors (be them buildings, caves, or - in this case - rooms inside planetoids) are rarely actually inside or below what you see from the outside.
It's not practical. They're usually either really far in the same map or in a separated one (like most pipes do in Super Mario World, you get warped to completely different maps most of the time).

Well duh...but isn't just a little bit cool that these separate locations in Galaxy are the planets you see in this distance? I would have though most people would just think the planets were flat art in the distance, and that very few would realise they were places the pipes lead to.

Holepunch

I was just listening to some classical music when I instantly recognized piece's opening being used as Bottle's Theme from Banjo Kazooie.

Funiculi Funicula by Luigi Denza (Just listen to the opening)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAlAEg1cyjA

Bottle's House (Dear God don't watch the whole thing, just skip to 6:24)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78Cd68H9ws

That was the best I could get of an comparison on youtube. I recognized it listening to a collection known as A Masterpiece Collection.

The Hermit

1up said:
skifree.png

I feel like my life is a lie!

link.jpg

Jocchan said:
Nothing even remotely mindblowing. Interiors (be them buildings, caves, or - in this case - rooms inside planetoids) are rarely actually inside or below what you see from the outside.
It's not practical. They're usually either really far in the same map or in a separated one (like most pipes do in Super Mario World, you get warped to completely different maps most of the time).

looooooool

NaviLink

ReyVGM said:
The vast majority of people don't know how much Link's Awakening shares from other games.

The first one is how the Link's Awakening engine seems to be based on a previous Game Boy game called Kaeru no Tameni Kaneha Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls). This game was made by Intelligent Systems and here are some pics.

KaerunoTameniJ_05.png
KaerunoTameniJ_06.png
KaerunoTameniJ_27.png

KaerunoTameniJ_28.png
KaerunoTameniJ_29.png

Funny thing about that game is that when you engage with an enemy (by ramming into it, like Ys), your character gets into a brawl with the enemy cartoon style.
KaerunoTameniJ_21.png

And if you have a more powerful sword, they quickly run away from you scared like hell.

Also, your rival in this game is none other than Richard from Richard's Villa in Link's Awakening. And the Richard's Villa theme is a remix of the over world theme from Kaeru no Tameni Kaneha Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls).
KaerunoTameniJ_02.png
Zeldadx_06.png

Awesome post. Didn't know that at all. All the foundations are there, it's crazy. Thanks for those bits of info.

lopaz

Banned
theluma said:
Actually posted by GAF's very own Huelen10 on youtube but I couldn't find it in this thread

Basically it turns out that in Galaxy (and it seems, Sunshine) when you go through a pipe and end up in some random little room you are actually getting transported to one of the little planets you see in the distance in that particular galaxy which can be reached with the Flying Suit!

So here is the video showing this off for Good Egg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxvaZ8S6nA

I know it's pretty old but it certainly blew my mind. Again, I fail at searching if this has already been posted.

Wha? How do you get the flying suit in levels?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Farore said:
pope-john-paul-ii-2005-3lyadzsr.jpg
john_paul_ii_wit_49abf91de8429-0kjvujs0.jpg

Obviously it's mostly because of the head...
It does have resemblances IMO...

Eh, I don't really see the connection. I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but it seems quite vague and "reaching".

thomaser

ReyVGM said:
Nintendo's OTHER handheld

Anyway, color me ignorant, but I never knew Nintendo had another handheld: The Pokemon Mini.

We still have four or five Pokémon Minis in our store, along with a couple of games. It's actually a cool little thing, with surprisingly many features.

ReyVGM

Super Metroid's title screen music is the same title screen music used in Metroid, except without the second part.

I just noticed that :(

Grimm Fandango said:
Not sure if posted but I took this photo in Dark Cloud 2. The wanted guy seems somewhat familiar...

DSCN0548.jpg

likeness.jpg

I dunno, the eyepatch, goatee, and smile seem too coincidental.

I realize now that the poster says "Wanted!" but when I quick glanced at it, I thought it said "Kanyed!":lol

Ulthwe said:
Having just replayed it yesterday, here's something I noticed years ago but maybe some of you didn't: there's practically no AI in the opponents, as they all follow the exact same path, only moving out of it when hit from a shell or else. That's why, if you want to throw a banana, simply put behind another character and let it go, it's a sure shot.
Articate said:
There was one way change this. If you hit someone very close to goal, they wouldn't have time to catch up. If that lead to, say, Luigi ending up in 4th in the overall ranking, that would be his new spot from there on out.

In the last race in mushroom cup, the one if the ramp that makes you jump over the track, just lay the banana between the 2nd and 4rd arrow from the left. 2nd character will hit it, and have to go around the loop again. In any other lap, theyll just catch up, but in the final lap it screws them over.

Ditto in the ghost house with the jump over a hole. I know these locations by heart and never miss.

Mak

BowieZ said:
SMB Overworld theme is SM64 Overworld theme upside down:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6908786928b853fc/

I think you're on the right track, but I don't think it's upside down.

If you listen carefully to Koji Kondo's music, the first ground theme to Super Mario Bros. 3 (World 1-1), Super Mario World (Yoshi's Island 1), Super Mario 64's main theme (first stage with Bo-bomb's), and New Super Mario Bros.'s main theme, they all follow a very similar sequence to the original Super Mario Bros. theme. There's that opening rift that the SMB theme has, and each of the following themes has a similar opening riff, the other themes kinda play notes around it, like if someone were playing Wii Music.

The same could be said with The Legend of Zelda, with some form or variation of the main theme appearing in each game. The overworld theme from The Legend of Zelda (NES) was the original theme and the title screen theme was based on that. I believe the Hyrule Field theme in Ocarina of Time is just a long arranged and rearranged version of the Legend of Zelda theme.

I think it was made to last 5 minutes instead of 1 minute, because like Super Mario Bros., Zelda's music was made based on the action on the screen. As Link was going scrolling from screen to screen on the NES, the music would match Link's various actions as it played. I don't think we got the original theme in Ocarina of Time because it woudn't have matched the wide open spaces of the world. Even the theme in Majora's Mask reflects the size of the overworld and the weird world it takes place in, and The Wind Waker's Great Sea theme reflects Link sailing on a boat over long distances.

(If you can notice that the Ballad of the Wind Fish theme in Majora's Mask actually is a jazz arrangement of the theme from Link's Awakening, and not a different song entirely, then you might see what I'm getting at.)

Here's one about Zelda and music.

Most people notice that the title screen of Ocarina of Time contains that recorder theme from The Legend of Zelda. But what isn't usually mentioned is that the title theme is actually the first part of the credits theme to A Link to the Past with the recorder theme from The Legend of Zelda played over top of it. (The first part of the credits theme to A Link to the Past also appears as the title screen for Four Sword Adventures.)

theluma said:
Actually posted by GAF's very own Huelen10 on youtube but I couldn't find it in this thread

Basically it turns out that in Galaxy (and it seems, Sunshine) when you go through a pipe and end up in some random little room you are actually getting transported to one of the little planets you see in the distance in that particular galaxy which can be reached with the Flying Suit!

I saw a Youtube of someone messing with Ocarina codes in Galaxy, and it surprised me that the little water bubble planets (like the floating water bubbles in New SMB Wii) work perfectly, even though they're just window dressing you fly by normally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAyn_YZ9OD4#t=3m25s

Metalmurphy said:
What really blows my mind is that fact that she's not even attractive but gets all sort of attention just cause she's in the gaming industry.

I mean
jade-raymond-pic.jpg
jade-raymond-21b.jpg

Ugh...
Well she looked hot when she was promoting Assassin's Creed...

BowieZ

Banned
Mak said:
I think you're on the right track, but I don't think it's upside down.

If you listen carefully to Koji Kondo's music, the first ground theme to Super Mario Bros. 3 (World 1-1), Super Mario World (Yoshi's Island 1), Super Mario 64's main theme (first stage with Bo-bomb's), and New Super Mario Bros.'s main theme, they all follow a very similar sequence to the original Super Mario Bros. theme. There's that opening rift that the SMB theme has, and each of the following themes has a similar opening riff, the other themes kinda play notes around it, like if someone were playing Wii Music.
No offense, but I mean, I'm a composer (not saying you're not or anything, but y'know) and I'm aware of the strong relationships, but I was trying to come up with a brand new theme to the Newer Mario hack, and I said "hey why don't I invert the classic SMB intro riff?" then after I whistled it a few times, to try and lock it into its own memorable pattern, I realised it was very very familiar. So I racked my brains for what it reminded me of, and sure enough, it was Bob-Omb Battlefield (SM64 Main Theme).

Not only are the notes themselves an incredible coincidence, but the fact that I tried to do the exact same thing (come up with a new theme based off of SMB1-1) and computed out Bob-Omb Battlefield, is an even weirder coincidence, if a coincidence at all.

I'm telling you, that, speaking from a composer's point of view, the relationship I highlighted is much, much, much stronger than any other you listed. The rhythm (without anacrusis) is essentially 1:1, and the contour of the melody is inverted almost perfectly (i.e. beginning on the third note, going up to the 6th note and ending on the 1st note; as opposed to beginning on the third note but then going down to the 1st note and ending on the 5th note). Go and play the single notes on the piano, without the harmony and chords, and you'll see what I mean.

Meanwhile, this is what I came up with: http://www.mediafire.com/?l2qjma​yvdyn

DNF

OnPoint said:
She's hot there too. What the hell kind of ridiculous standards does GAF have anyway?

pff
just like how sharp her teeths are in this pics.
that's way below my standards.

OnPoint said:
She's hot there too. What the hell kind of ridiculous standards does GAF have anyway?
Her oversized smile makes her look terrible. But I do admit that she is hot...on video. Dear God what am I saying?

reetva

Banned
So, uh, not sure if this is common knowledge, but you know how
in Wind Waker, Hyrule is underwater
? Well, going by Mak's post on page 80, this has been a long time coming.

losthills.jpg

Notice that it's a barren area here, lacking any green.

hebrahillt.jpg

But in Four Swords, suddenly there is plentiful grass, plus some flowers and bushes.

alttpcatfish.gif

Link's just dipping his toes here, but when Link's Awakening rolls around...

lacatfishmaw.gif

This is a bit of a stretch, but there could be water in OoT where there was previously none.

z2elevator.png

elevatorride2.jpg

reetva said:
So, uh, not sure if this is common knowledge, but you know how
in Wind Waker, Hyrule is underwater
? Well, going by Mak's post on page 80, this has been a long time coming.
Well no, because the Goddesses flooded Hyrule to ward off Ganon.

And also, Link's Awakening didn't take place in Hyrule.

RoryDropkick said:
I realize now that the poster says "Wanted!" but when I quick glanced at it, I thought it said "Kanyed!":lol
Now Rogue Galaxy Imma let you finish but Dark Cloud 2 has the best eyepatch goatee guy of all time. OF ALL TIME

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Easy_D said:
I bet everyone knows this :(.

The music used in The Minish Cap when the door closes and you have to defeat enemies is the same music as the battle music in the Japanese version of Zelda 2.

Zelda 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY_p57zWYHM

Minish Cap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIr_-xp1uvw
Well I didn't know this.. I don't know if it's "mind blown" exactly since it's pretty common for Zelda games to reference previous titles musically... but what is probably mind blowing to many people (even if I already knew it) is the fact that the Japanese Zelda II even has different encounter music!

It can mostly be chalked up to the fact that Zelda II: Link No Bouken is a Famicom Disk System game, while Adventure of Link comes on a NES cart. The title screen has extra instruments playing which changes the effect, the water on the overworld moves, and there are load times to enter locations. It also has cosmetic differences such as a lighter brown on Link, different style of overworld monsters, and the townspeople make this "Charlie Brown adult talking" noise as the text appears! They also feature different "battle" music as shown above.

I love our battle music so I'm happy for the change!

Here are some Youtubes which show the Japanese version.

Japans intro for Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link

Japanese Zelda 2 gameplay

Zelda 2 Japanese Boss fight

Top Bottom