• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Street Fighter series total sales: 27 mil
Mortal Kombat series total sales: 26 mil

With the way some people act, you'd think the disparity would be a lot bigger.

jaypah

Lost Fragment said:
Street Fighter series total sales: 27 mil
Mortal Kombat series total sales: 26 mil

With the way some people act, you'd think the disparity would be a lot bigger.

no, with the way people act i would think that Street Fighter was the better series by a landslide and that there's just a bunch of people out there that value things other than gameplay......like blood and guts mainly.

and i would be right.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The fact that there're so many people who actually think people who enjoy the MK series only play it for the blood and guts blows my mind too.

jaypah

Lost Fragment said:
The fact that there're so many people who actually think people who enjoy the MK series only play it for the blood and guts blows my mind too.

well obviously not everybody plays for blood and guts. i know a few people that just really likes the way the more recent games play. though i don't know anyone that got into MK because of the gameplay. part 2 played decently enough i guess but part one was horrible. most franchises that start with a game of that quality don't stick around for long so.....i guess that's an achievement.

but this is all horribly off topic. i just meant that while they both sold well, one series used an obvious gimmick while the other relied on great gameplay. while i'm sure there are MK tournaments....you know, let's just be honest.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
jaypah said:
well obviously not everybody plays for blood and guts. i know a few people that just really likes the way the more recent games play. though i don't know anyone that got into MK because of the gameplay. part 2 played decently enough i guess but part one was horrible. most franchises that start with a game of that quality don't stick around for long so.....i guess that's an achievement.

but this is all horribly off topic. i just meant that while they both sold well, one series used an obvious gimmick while the other relied on great gameplay. while i'm sure there are MK tournaments....you know, let's just be honest.

The competitive scene for UMK3 is still pretty active for such an old fighter that isn't Super Turbo. There was a pretty big tournament just a few weeks ago, actually.

And while I can't really argue that the original is a great game that didn't get most of its notoriety from the gore and the digitized actors, the game was decent and a whoooole heck of a lot better than the first Street Fighter :p

jaypah

Lost Fragment said:
The competitive scene for UMK3 is still pretty active for such an old fighter that isn't Super Turbo. There was a pretty big tournament just a few weeks ago, actually.

And while I can't really argue that the original is a great game that didn't get most of its notoriety from the gore and the digitized actors, the game was decent and a whoooole heck of a lot better than the first Street Fighter :p

well i stand corrected on the topic of MK tourneys. ya learn something new every day!

EmSeta

Lost Fragment said:

Street Fighter 1? Seriously? That isn't saying much.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
zoom.gif

BowieZ

Banned
MNC said:
Gusty Garden =/= Good Egg
Gusty Garden > Good Egg

=)
I agree. Hopefully the comparison thing demonstrated that, and hopefully Mahito Yokota gets given the opportunity to write a massive sequel score rather than the half-hearted remixes and reworkings present in the NSMB "sequel".

Kirk

BowieZ said:

Well, it's pretty common in Mario games, and in many other games, to have songs that are different arrangements of the same theme. They are not "the same song" exactly; they are rearrangements of the same melody or chord progression.

For example, listen to the first two themes in Super Mario World. Or the first two themes in Super Mario 3. Or just about every tune in Super Mario Sunshine.

BowieZ

Banned
Kirk said:
Well, it's pretty common in Mario games, and in many other games, to have songs that are different arrangements of the same theme. They are not "the same song" exactly; they are rearrangements of the same melody or chord progression.

For example, listen to the first two themes in Super Mario World. Or the first two themes in Super Mario 3. Or just about every tune in Super Mario Sunshine.
I think you must be listening to the first two bars of the "Melody C" of both Good Egg and Gusty Garden and, because these two particular bars have the same rhythm, you're generalizing that the entire songs are basically rearrangements of each other.

It's only true if you consider basically any two pieces of diatonic thematic music as being essential rearrangements of each other, whether notes, or chords, or instruments. That's the fundamental nature of music. By this definition, any two rock songs are rearrangements of each other. Any two folk songs are. Of course there are similarities between two orchestral Mario tunes. I demonstrated that above.

But apart from two bars of similar rhythm, your specific example of equivalence is musically unfair.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
BowieZ said:
I think you must be listening to the first two bars of the "Melody C" of both Good Egg and Gusty Garden and, because these two particular bars have the same rhythm, you're generalizing that the entire songs are basically rearrangements of each other.

It's only true if you consider basically any two pieces of diatonic thematic music as being essential rearrangements of each other, whether notes, or chords, or instruments. That's the fundamental nature of music. By this definition, any two rock songs are rearrangements of each other. Any two folk songs are. Of course there are similarities between two orchestral Mario tunes. I demonstrated that above.

But apart from two bars of similar rhythm, your specific example of equivalence is musically unfair.
Therefore the hypotenuse of your pressumptuation is presposterous!

bjork

Need more shocking facts in here. There hasn't been a "whoa" one for awhile now. Come on... there's gotta be something like "Link's outfit was originally pink until Miyamoto played Gauntlet and liked the elf's colors" or something that we haven't listed yet.

bjork said:
Need more shocking facts in here. There hasn't been a "whoa" one for awhile now. Come on... there's gotta be something like "Link's outfit was originally pink until Miyamoto played Gauntlet and liked the elf's colors" or something that we haven't listed yet.

i have something for you:
Link is modeled after Tom Cruise!!!

and? mind blown?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
iamaustrian said:
i have something for you:
Link is modeled after Tom Cruise!!!

and? mind blown?
No, because we all know he's modeled after David Bowie.

bjork said:
Did anybody do the Devil World -> Legend of Zelda/Mario World similarities yet?

If not... then, in Devil/Demon World, the Devil looks kind of like Gannon from Zelda 1, and the bibles from Devil World that made their way in Legend of Zelda (but in America changed to "Book of Magic"). Also, the sound that the Tamagon makes when he hatches from the egg is the same Yoshi makes when he hatches from his egg.

That's all I can think of now...

HUELEN10

Linkzg said:
There is a joke to be made about Naughty Dog, Epic Games, and the idea of copying.
I wouldn't know, I don't like Gears or Jak. What would the joke be? Honestly clueless here.

KillerAJD

HUELEN10 said:
I wouldn't know, I don't like Gears or Jak. What would the joke be? Honestly clueless here.
Uncharted is pretty similar to Gears in that it's a 3rd person shooter with really awesome cover mechanics? :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2lvhklu.jpg[/QUOTE]

[B]D[/B]om = [B]D[/B]axter and they are both useless sidekicks and dump.

:O

[QUOTE=Boerseun]Didn't Gears just rip off Rebellion's Rogue Trooper game?[/QUOTE]

no , but if you are talking about cover-based shooters , then Namco's Kill.Switch was there before Gears and Rogue Trooper

Top Bottom