• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

BowieZ

Banned
Ezduo said:
The bushes in Super Mario Bros. were just recolored clouds.

smb.jpg

Ekans backwards is snake.
Girafarig backwards is girafarig.
EVERY time I think of 2D Mario, I think of this:

15cc4sl.jpg

CastleVania is a portmanteau of "castle" and "Transylvania".

That never occurred to me before, somehow I was thinking of "veins" or "vain".

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Prime Blue said:

Sorry for being a douche, but my mind is blown by the fact that you didn't realize this sooner. :lol Seriously.

Woodsy

Banned
Prime Blue said:

LOL WTF :lol How could you not know this.

webrunner

Prime Blue said:

I always thought they should make one starring Hulk Hogan called Wrestlevania.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the record the Castlevania thing was news to me, too. I'd just never thought about it.

Clearly I noticed the "Castlevania --> Transylvania" connection... it's impossible not to. But I'd just never thought about how it was CASTLEvania.

It's not that it's some secret. It had just never entered my mind. (Similar to biggoron sword... you either notice or you don't).

ITA84

EmCeeGramr said:
Because when you're an American kid or early teen with an N64, you've probably only heard of "Joan of Arc," not "Jeanne d'Arc."

I'm not American, and I certainly knew Jeanne d'Arc, but maybe I didn't get it because I had never played the game.

HUELEN10

Count Dookkake said:
How does someone not see this?

It's almost as bad as not getting Alucard's or GATTACA's etymology.
Holy fuck, I just noticed it! :O How could I have been so blind? Not trolling here, I seriously missed it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
DrEvil said:
Can you explain? I don't get it. :(

Gattaca is all about genes and genetic manipulation. The name of the movie could also double as a string of DNA (the letters G, A, & T are used to represent DNA).

So "GATTACA," in addition to being the name of the flick, is also representative of a pretty standard DNA sequence.

I don't think this is an "omfg you're stupid if you don't see it" thing, though. I only learned about DNA once, in sophomore biology.

Wizpig

mjc said:
The cubone thing is depressing. He/she is supposedly wearing the skull of their mother right?
omg :(

It's not canon though, because in Pokémon Blue & Red at the graveyard you are told that Cubone mother is dead and he wears her skull, but his mother is probably a
105_Marowak.png

Woodsy said:
LOL WTF :lol How could you not know this.
I honestly never made the connection to the setting of the games. I still wouldn't know if I hadn't read the German manual of Castlevania: The Adventure which translated the term to "Castlevanien" (Transylvania is referred to as "Transsilvanien" in German). I was so mind-blown when I found out that I figured there would be people that didn't know either.

OnPoint

Prime Blue said:

Wow really? Here's one for you:

Member of Star Wolf Leon Powalski's first name is short for chameleon.

Yeah, archive this thread lol

Echoes

I just found this by playing the stage for the millionth time.

You can actually kill these (the dildo and the summoning monster) by using the wood shield.

Mind-fucking-blown because I always always jump on them. I thought "hey let's try a new thing" and BAM. What's mind blowing is that I play Mega Man 2 since my early childhood and just found about this.

Best 8-bit game ever created.

Edit: the dildo can be killed with the mega buster, but I never knew that you could kill the summoning monster.

RetroMG

I thought the Castlevania thing was a no-brainer, but I also thought everyone knew about the Cloudbush thing, so go figure.

TheJollyCorner said:
WHICH ALSO CONNECTS TO THE FUTURE TEAMING OF FINAL FANTASY & DISNEY!~!~!!! HOLY COCKLE, WHAT HAVE WE STUMBLED UPON?!?!

So that's why Square made Super Mario RPG.

It was an inside job, they wanted to find his weakness. :eek:

Neoriceisgood said:
Wait ... people dislike SMB3 all-stars? I did not know this.

SMB2 and 3 are good, but SMB1 feels like it has significantly different physics, that sucks. I like the new graphics... not better than the old, but they're pretty interesting.

jett

D-Member
BowieZ said:
I know you're "Mr Negativity" and everything, but I *sincerely* hope you were kidding with that post.

I have the fondest memories of reaching the Dark World in SMB3, finally getting up to Level "1" :)lol ) and seeing the epically creepy dark forest backdrop, complete with echoey old-school underworld theme.

Amirite, people?

No, you are not right, you fucking infidel.

The Hermit

HUELEN10 said:
Holy fuck, I just noticed it! :O How could I have been so blind? Not trolling here, I seriously missed it.

GDJustin said:
Gattaca is all about genes and genetic manipulation. The name of the movie could also double as a string of DNA (the letters G, A, & T are used to represent DNA).

So "GATTACA," in addition to being the name of the flick, is also representative of a pretty standard DNA sequence.

I don't think this is an "omfg you're stupid if you don't see it" thing, though. I only learned about DNA once, in sophomore biology.

Mind blow... I was like Huelen whe he said it was as obvious as Joanna Dark, cause I couldn´t see before...

ReyVGM

Here's a bit of Order of Ecclesia trivia brought by Kurt from HG101:

The boss battle themes contain a bit of wordplay in their names alluding to past Castlevania titles. They are even in the exact same order of release:

Symphony of Battle (Boss Fight A) = Symphony of The Night
Dissonant Courage (Boss Fight B) = Harmony of Dissonance
Chamber of Ruin (Boss Fight C) = Portrait of Ruin
Sorrow's Distortion (Albus Battle) = Aria & Dawn of Sorrow
Lament To The Master (Barlowe Battle) = Lament of Innocence
Order of The Demon (Dracula Battle) = Order of Ecclesia

The PS2 Castlevania Curse of Darkness was oddly left out. The Japanese names for the songs are totally different, so the wordplay easter egg is not present on them.

UraMallas

GDJustin said:

DID NOT REALIZE THIS.

ReyVGM said:
Here's a bit of Order of Ecclesia trivia brought by Kurt from HG101:

The boss battle themes contain a bit of wordplay in their names alluding to past Castlevania titles. They are even in the exact same order of release:

Symphony of Battle (Boss Fight A) = Symphony of The Night
Dissonant Courage (Boss Fight B) = Harmony of Dissonance
Chamber of Ruin (Boss Fight C) = Portrait of Ruin
Sorrow's Distortion (Albus Battle) = Aria & Dawn of Sorrow
Lament To The Master (Barlowe Battle) = Lament of Innocence
Order of The Demon (Dracula Battle) = Order of Ecclesia

The PS2 Castlevania Curse of Darkness was oddly left out. The Japanese names for the songs are totally different, so the wordplay easter egg is not present on them.

Thanks Rey :)

- Ixthus

oracrest

Prime Blue said:

And here I am thinking the whole series takes place in Pennsylvania......

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GameplayWhore said:
TheJollyCorner said:
In Super Mario World Mickey Mouse is trying to kill Mario, ala Torpedo Ted.
mysteriousTHREEfingeredhand.jpg

Metroid Killer said:
No! It must be Luigi! Look at the hand!
LuigiwithFOURfingeredhand.jpg

Regulus Tera said:
FOURfingeredmasterhand.jpg

Math. It's what's for dinner.

Master Hand has five fingers. Luigi too. And Torpedo Ted has four.

Thumbs are fingers too!

Regulus Tera said:
Master Hand has five fingers.

Counting the thumb? I meant without. I was just pointing out that people were associating the SMW picture with characters that have more fingers than the hand in the picture.

I just got back from the dmv, sorry if I have extra snark built up

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
According to the magazine he intended to use the Sean Barker name for MGS until he realised how big it was going to be and decided to use his real name - at this point the game manual had been finalised and the correction was never made.

I recall there was an union strike at the time, so most of the actors used alias in order to keep working and not getting caught.

Top Bottom