• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

Gowans

Yeah it's the most reviewy preview I've seen yet.

It's interesting to see something as visually vibrant as this being described as dull and boring to play.

I expect this game will follow the recent trend of releases, with critics being quite divided on it. Some really great and some really mediocre scores.

Cess007

Yeah it's the most reviewy preview I've seen yet.

It's interesting to see something as visually vibrant as this being described as dull and boring to play.

What? I can't see the video at work, but SO looked so good that it makes me consider actually get a XBO in Xmas for this game :(

Gowans

What? I can't see the video at work, but SO looked so good and it made me consider actually get a XBO in Xmas for this game :(
Yeah same for me, I'm itching to preorder it but going to wait on the reviews as this is only one opinion.

The guy may not like the genre as he also didn't like InFamous and described is as similarly dull.

guy finds inFamous dull too

:/

Well Second Son was kinda dull in the diversity department (not powers but gameplay mission) it also had the weakest story

but inFamous 1 and 2 were a blast since they had different things to do compared to Second Son

Einbroch

Banned
Their biggest criticism seems to be that while getting around is fun and the weapons are fun to use, there's nothing interesting to use the mechanics for.

Fetch quests, boring enemies, etc.

Majestad

Banned
Woah, dude says the game almost made him want to sleep.

They call it tremendously dull. Before Sony fanboys get all giddy, dude says Infamous is even duller.

Jaxx

Banned
He compares it to the "dullest of dull games" - inFamous. Can't disagree with him there, because I find inFamous to be a huge bore as well. Doesn't bode well for this game if the gameplay is comparable to inFamous. Ouch. He's the first I've heard call it dull though, so I'll wait to hear more.

oh I get it: they are Resistance 3 players expecting another shooter-

edit:so wierd- calling infamous dull and SO a bore to play- can we take them serious?

Silky

Banned
"The ultimate hipster videogame."

I get his story complaints, because coming off of R3's story you might feel a bit let down.

Hasn't all the other impressions for the game been extremely positive?

Maybe the game as a whole gets a tad stale but that's true for most open world games.

If the load times are fast I could see this game being a good -jump in and have fun in doses kind of game.

Infamous SS did end up beinf rather bland but neon sprinting was one of my favorite traversal techniques ever.

The Llama

oh I get it: they are Resistance 3 players expecting another shooter-

edit:so wierd- calling infamous dull and SO a bore to play- can we take them serious?

Yeah, tbh I kind of get the impression they went into this not wanting to like the game. Its kinda weird, as the video goes on, there are definitely some things they like about it, but seems like they let the negatives really get to them.

The Llama

Completely muting the sound and just watching the video alone, I guess I can see what they're talking about. The entire thing seems to be grind around in circles in the air, shoot enemies on the ground, and grind some more.

Their biggest criticism seems to be that while getting around is fun and the weapons are fun to use, there's nothing interesting to use the mechanics for.

Which is how I can understand them calling Infamous dull as well if that is what they were talking about since it suffered from the same kind of thing. The latest one at least.

Completely muting the sound and just watching the video alone, I guess I can see what they're talking about. The entire thing seems to be grind around in circles in the air, shoot enemies on the ground, and grind some more.

It is pretty much Crackdown where the fun is messing around the OW instead of doing missions. I can understand those complaints. However, they were way too cynical for my tastes.

Sometimes people called the Giant Bomb guy jaded.... these guys seem the epitome of that. Jeff Gerstmann is Barney The Fucking Dinosaur compared to these guys.

I find Jeff's cynicism funny personally. I love his hate for Yoshi.

ah NVM satire youtube channel...

see "american patch for alien isolation'
Yeah, it seems to be a parody channel. I got that vibe from the preview saying it was dull while showing exciting things in the background.

Sometimes people called the Giant Bomb guy jaded.... these guys seem the epitome of that. Jeff Gerstmann is Barney The Fucking Dinosaur compared to these guys.

Wow. I don't know if you could pay someone to rip into something worse than what I'm watching.

Except, if you paid them they'd probably leave out their small disclaimer: "Well this is where we are now. Early days. It *could* become amazing. We should throw that in there. It could. But if it does, *I* will be amazed."

This preview is the polar opposite of GameTrailers gushing about how skill-based the movement and combat is.

So, polarizing previews - which seems about right. Its got an in-your-face art style with over-the-top characters - and that always tends to create more extreme love it or hate it reactions. My biggest worry is that the humor will annoy me more than endear me - its a fine line.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The clip where they are just jumping in place on the same car, no wonder they think it's dull.

Input dull = output dull.

Maybe it's a design fail by Insomniac that they are not forcing you to not do that or making the highscore more important by changing the damage of your weapons or something but you could at least try to emulate the way Insomniac plays it. Maybe it will even be fun that way.

Cess007

ah NVM satire youtube channel...

see "american patch for alien isolation'

They do both.
They have both satirical and serious videos/stuff. This is not satirical it seems.

They aren't.

There are going to be people who don't like this game, on GAF and in the press, you are going to have to come to terms with that.

Pretty much this. I tend to agree to some degree with their views (Mostly Scamell, Bratt and Miller when he was still there) but also disagree strongly with others; but i still enjoy most of their stuff.

That's the impression I've gotten from all the footage and previews I've seen so far. Their comments about how the humor isn't half as clever as it thinks it is, and they don't really subvert the tropes they've made fun of in promotional materials, is another red flag.

As excited as I was when we first saw the game, the more Insomniac has shown the more suspect it's looked.

Top Bottom