• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I reserve the right to make conclusive determinations on Wii U at E3. I think it is probably fair to say there is little evidence that it will be significantly more powerful than PS360, but I do not believe the "evidence" that it is only on par is very conclusive.

udivision

What i know is that there will be a problem, mark my word, with a Wii product not being based on motion control. Ask someone in the street what's a "WII". It's waving arms to play tennis, it's just that and nothing else. I'm talking about extreme mainstream here of course.

The tablet does have motion control though... I guess they should still market that. Considering how well MKWii and NSMBWii sold and considering how they use motion control, I think there is a good chunk of people who could accept the uPad's type of motion.

Come on low price point!

Still not buying until there is a Mario platformer though.
You mean a 3D Mario platformer?

Yes, it probably will. That tablet will allow people to game away from the TV. Mom comes in and wants to watch her shitty TV-programme but lil Jmmy is playing Nintendo. No problem, lil Jimmy can continue playing his game on the tablet while mom watches Desperate Housewives or whatever.

For families where the kids don't have their own entertainment centre this thing will be a glorious solution.

Or they could just tell him to go play on his handheld/iPhone.

Unless Wii U has some spectacular features we don't know about yet, I just don't see it taking off the same way Wii did.

So unless Nintendo failed to reach their targets that contradicts quotes from Epic late last year(which seem to be fairly logical):

"They're aiming for a point beyond the current generation – they're just not leapfrogging it. One can certainly envision a future a couple years down the road where we have some significantly leapfrogged generation and then the Wii U again becomes a system that's not easily portable between the other platforms."

I think Nintendo has learned that it's not about catering to the dedicated gamer. Leave that nonsense to Sony and Microsoft. It's all about creating the next "Wii". Something that will get people talking, and sell units to those who normally wouldn't purchase a gaming system. It doesn't matter if third parties aren't fully behind it. All that matters is the machine and their games are selling.

agree. &, until this approach doesn't work, why would they change course?...

while i have pretty much no personal interest in nintendo anymore, i just can't see how their 'non-cutting edge' approach doesn't make sense financially. the wii's success clearly demonstrates that the general public just doesn't really care all that much. so why should they?...

orioto

Good Art™
Is the tablet the new wii-mote?

it's not, and there is no doubt about that.
People really forget what was the wiimote... It was something You've never ever in your life seen before!!!

Tactile tech is as old as smartphones. It's the most common thing in the world. There is absolutly NOTHING of the attraction motion control could have before.

Maybe, maybe Nintendo will find a success based on smart understanding of how a modern family works and how they share entertainment. Maybe, but it's a wayyyy more complicated process.

I've said it before. Nintendo used something simple for their past success. A tech that you had to try cause it was something new and untouched by mainstreams. Now they can't have that anymore, so they try to built something from a philosophy based on known techs and how they interact together. That's, way less easy to show off and impress with. (See the fiasco of the first unveiling).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You mean I will not have my *hand on chest* 8xMSAA? ._.

It's not about meaningless spec-whoring. It's about content access that follows from what the system will or won't be capable of.

i.e. The key question is whether you'll have next gen games. Or if you'll have 'just' a subset of current generation releases + Nintendo games + no several year back catalog + a higher price (vs PS3/360).

If the latter, Nintendo had better hope the tablet controller and their own software around that catches fire among the wider public.

People really forget what was the wiimote... It was something You've never ever in your life seen before!!!

Tactile tech is as old as smartphones. It's the most common thing in the world. There is absolutly NOTHING of the attraction motion control could have before.

Maybe, maybe Nintendo will find a success based on smart understanding of how a modern family works and how they share entertainment. Maybe, but it's a wayyyy more complicated process.
Those are good points, but the only thing that really matters is whether people say "Wow, I gotta get one of these" after they hold it in their hands and play a game that best uses its unique features. Which means it is absolutely crucial for Nintendo to have a game like Wii Sports at launch that justifies the design of the product.

1-D_FTW

Honestly you would be surprised how many do.

Especially since they're ridiculously cheap and a great baby sitter to keep them out of Mom's hair.

So much about the Wii U seems designed with Japan in mind.
The streaming feature will be the biggest draw in a market with cramped living spaces, where a dedicated TV for gaming in the kid's room is a rarity.
The low spec hardware is perfect for third parties that have struggled to adjust to the technical leap posed by this generation. It gives them a pathway to releasing games internationally on a fresh console without having to go through hardware upgrades they're not ready for.
I think Wii U has a great chance of cleaning up the home console market in Japan. What's interesting is that the very qualities that should help it over there make it a risky proposition for the west. Really illustrates how much the markets have changed over the past generation.

Of course. It's all designed with Japan in mind. That some people can ignore such basic trends and constantly be surprised (when it's a well established pattern by now) is puzzling. This is their MO.

I personally think the pad is much more interesting idea than the motion controller. I can actually see it being used in games in cool ways.

Unlike the wiimote wich was shit for the most part.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What's the point? It's a vague statement, second hand information, and it contradicts an earlier statement by a more knowledgeable member of the same development team.

If we are going to be making new threads based on vague statements by developers, this board is going to be a cesspool the next 2 months. YAY.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What i know is that there will be a problem, mark my word, with a Wii product not being based on motion control. Ask someone in the street what's a "WII". It's waving arms to play tennis, it's just that and nothing else. I'm talking about extreme mainstream here of course.
This is one of the main reasons I keep going back and forward over whether or not they should rename it. Tying yourself to a widely recognised and successful brand is theoretically a good thing, but people could look at it and fail to see the connection. Kinect likely looks more of a Wii successor to these consumers, and Microsoft could go in for the kill with a great marketing boost and a price drop.
I think Nintendo should reveal a new branding that plays to the strengths of the system and gels with their new marketing strategy.
The tablet does have motion control though... I guess they should still market that. Considering how well MKWii and NSMBWii sold and considering how they use motion control, I think there is a good chunk of people who could accept the uPad's type of motion.
It doesn't lend itself to the motion control novelty the Wii brand was built on, which is the 'get off the couch and get active' style. People looking silly and making wide motions. Motion is also going to be far down the list of bullet points; making it a priority in marketing would mean directing the attention of the masses away from the main qualities of the tablet.

Precisely. It's a market frought with competition - it's more directly competing with the iPad and Apple, than consoles before it. They will need to pull a rabbit out of their hat to make the idea of touch gaming awe inspiring, relative to the novelty of motion control.

I'm not sure why people are assuming emulating the success of the Wii is an easy feat.

The assumption that the success of the Wii dictates that the Wii U have similar success is really no better than predictions made about the PS3, based on the success of the PS2.

orioto

Good Art™
Those are good points, but the only thing that really matters is whether people say "Wow, I gotta get one of these" after they hold it in their hands and play a game that best uses its unique features. Which means it is absolutely crucial for Nintendo to have a game like Wii Sports at launch that justifies the design of the product.

Why "but", that's exactly what i'm saying will be difficult to have :)

shinra-bansho said:
The assumption that the success of the Wii dictates that the Wii U have similar success is really no better than predictions made about the PS3, based on the success of the PS2.

Indeed, and that's not even regarding the fact that PS2 was still hype as fuck when PS3 was released, where Wii is deeply faded into mainstream minds.

If true I'll wait untill it's 199$ and has enough Nintendo games I care about, like Mario 128, Wave Race and a Zelda like in the E3 demo. Touchscreen doesn't hype me at all, WiiRemote did, but really disappointed me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And that's the billion dollar question: Will a tablet controller really get people talking?

It's not really a blue ocean like motion control was.

I really don't think it will. Motion control invited a lot of people to the party, who normally would've never showed up. Those nongamers, curiosity types, and weight loss hopefuls propelled the Wii to huge sales. The tablet isn't going have the impact that motion controls did, when they were introduced. Gaming on a tablet is nothing new. Oh, so this has buttons? Cool, does it have Facebook? Can I send messages with it while playing? Can I take pictures and share them with my friends?

I just don't see the big hook that's going to convince a lot of casual Wii purchasers to invest in a U.

pestul

This system better be $199 tops. Seriously.. you have to go out of your way to make a system nowadays that is on par with PS360. :S

Wouldn't surprise me, but the price has to be LOW.

Another Wii/DS/3DS situation where Nintendo throws out the weakest and least innovative hardware they can find, provide lackluster software and support, and lower their heads in shame as they finish in last place for the umpteenth time.

... They finished last this generation? :lol

Surely the Wii ran out of steam earlier on, but damn... if the DS, 3DS and Wii are finishing in last, I sure want to finish in last more often :p

DarkChild

Banned
I've been saying this all along...I guess Wii U will have more RAM, and somewhat better GPU and CPU than this gens HD consoles, but running another screen on controller should make it pretty close on the big screen. I know there are alot of naysayers and fanboys hoping for miracles, but if it were considerably stronger than HD twins Nintendo wouldn't avoid on commenting on it.

I really don't think it will. Motion control invited a lot of people to the party, who normally would've never showed up. Those nongamers, curiosity types, and weight loss hopefuls propelled the Wii to huge sales. The tablet isn't going have the impact that motion controls did, when they were introduced. Gaming on a tablet is nothing new. Oh, so this has buttons? Cool, does it have Facebook? Can I send messages with it while playing? Can I take pictures and share them with my friends?

I just don't see the big hook that's going to convince a lot of casual Wii purchasers to invest in a U.

completely agree. & it's pretty much exactly in the same way that the 3ds doesn't feature the degree of innovation that the ds did - much more a variation on something that's already there, as opposed to something intrinsically new...

When I commented that Miyamoto said it was only slightly more powerful than current gen consoles people tore me apart. But I guess a famous Nintendo developer and a third party developer must be wrong?

Too many disillusioned fanboys. I just hope that this means that the price doesn't top the £200-250 region. Tablet or not, 360 is already around £150-200.

The thing is, too expensive and it could flop, but a nice cheap price could mean lots of lost money for Nintendo if the thing takes off big time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because he can't play the same games he can as on Wii-U ? Why don't gamers still spend all their time on NES ?

You created a situation that handheld systems have been the solution for for generations.

Oh no, Jimmy wants to play TV, but mom's watching Desperate Housewives! What is Jimmy to do?

Unless Jimmy's a dumbass he's going to play his 3DS, or his mom's iPad. He doesn't need a U to solve this problem.

IrishNinja

pretty depressing if true - 1st party, as usual, will be built around the specs, but it's certainly not gonna be a lead platform to develop for, and i can't see myself buying many 3rd party titles for it unless the controller is used well for it (hoping for Aliens game, for example!).

Anyone shocked by this has had their head buried in the sand when it comes to Nintendo over the past decade.

decade? i thought the Gamecube had some pretty good specs for its time.
wait, i think that's right outside of a decade, though. ne'ermind.

D.O.A., poor little guy never had a chance.

What's the point? It's a vague statement, second hand information, and it contradicts an earlier statement by a more knowledgeable member of the same development team.

GAF wants to jump to conclusions and speculate and argue about nothing. This thread is getting a ton of activity just because the out of context title validates many users' thoughts

DarkFlow

Banned
Well, that's a shame.
I hope this won't result in diminished 3rd party support like with the Wii.

Also, I'm amazed by how Nintendo manages to release a console 5-6 years after their competitor, and yet only make it only "on-par".
That's because Nintendo is all about the hardware margin. While Sony and Microsoft are fine taking a loss on the system to make it up in game sales, Nintendo is not.

The only way for Nintendo to make money out the gate on the system is to use old tech, mainly because It's cheaper. So until Nintendo gets over the margin, they are always going to be a gen behind.

EDarkness

Too many disillusioned fanboys. I just hope that this means that the price doesn't top the £200-250 region. Tablet or not, 360 is already around £150-200.

The thing is, too expensive and it could flop, but a nice cheap price could mean lots of lost money for Nintendo if the thing takes off big time.

People just want to believe what they want to believe. How anyone can find what this guy said as any testament of the Wii U's power is beyond me. His statement is obviously about their own game and how much work they're going to do to improve the visual. They reached the same level of the 360/PS3 and that's what they're going to go with. The extra work on the Wii U version will be spent on making the controller function in different ways. It doesn't say the Wii U is weak or strong.

LCGeek

formerly sane
If nintendo has no interest in courting third parties and only themselves I refuse to buy this system. I get my fill of their stuff with casual types I hangout with. I want a real console that doesn't give me bs in inputs, online, or hardware design seems none of the 3 are getting my business next gen unless there are some products I really need and can't be without.

StuBurns

Banned
People just want to believe what they want to believe. How anyone can find what this guy said as any testament of the Wii U's power is beyond me. His statement is obviously about their own game and how much work they're going to do to improve the visual. They reached the same level of the 360/PS3 and that's what they're going to go with. The extra work on the Wii U version will be spent on making the controller function in different ways. It doesn't say the Wii U is weak or strong.
Seriously?

the hardware's been on par with what we have with the current generation's

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Most people won't even read the OP. The quote in the title is completely out of context.

Top Bottom