• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

zoukka

This is what ive been saying all along.

Wii u is basically wii 2. It will have the same problem attracting 3rd party. And the ports from the real next gen console will look atrocious on it.

To be fair, the asset pipeline isn't changing as much as it did when we transitioned to this generation, so 3rd parties have it easier with WiiU than they had with the Wii.

Still disappointing if true.

SykoTech

I cant believe a mod would make a thread title like that when everything we know say it not, why are you feeding the trolls?

...yeah, how dare a mod use a direct quote from people who are actually working with the Wii U's tech. What a troll.

You're only suppose to use POSITIVE quotes about Nintendo stuff mods!

AniHawk

So in June 2011 they assumed it would be more powerful than the current systems, and by November 2011 they realized it was pretty much on the same level as the current system, and they've been saying that ever since.

Or are you saying that it is more likely that statements made earlier are true and that they started lying after that? Because that is not a reasonable outcome.

i think the most likely scenario is that different people have different gauges for what is more powerful than or on par with other devices.

Coolwhip

Banned
The only thing I don't understand is how Nintendo can get parts that are on par with 8 year old tech. Could someone explain that?

How is it technically possible to a make system "on par" with current gen? Can't Nintendo just buy the lowest end stuff off the shelf and automatically have a system stronger than PS3 and 360?

Why is Nintendo spending R&D money with IBM and AMD if the results will be less than what's on the shelf?

udivision

The casual base bought the system for the Wii ___ craze.

They also likely bought Mario Kart and NSMB in large numbers.

That doesn't necessitate that they would all buy a new system in itself for those games.

It's not like the GameCube didn't have Mario Kart or Super Mario.

But I feel like the Wii re-established Mario as a "thing," something he hasn't had since the NES/SNES days. Of course they bought the Wii for the Wii ___ Games, but I think a part of the 50+ million casuals who ended up buying a Mario Kart or Super Mario might be swayed to buy something for the "Mario" next time around, and not just the Wii ____.

The only thing I don't understand is how Nintendo can get parts that are on par with 8 year old tech. Could someone explain that?
There's a difference between something the power of 8 year old tech that fits in in a PS3 and something the power of 8 year old tech that fits in your calculator. Technology isn't just "more power to ya."

confused

Banned
How is it technically possible to a make system "on par" with current gen? Can't Nintendo just buy off the lowest end stuff off the shelf and automatically have a system stronger than PS3 and 360?

Why is Nintendo spending R&D money with IBM and AMD if the results will be less than what's on the shelf?

Mostly to do with power draw. Gaming consoles take less power than most mid-to-high range GPU's do. Also heat issues.

nasos_333

How is it technically possible to a make system "on par" with current gen? Can't Nintendo just buy the lowest end stuff off the shelf and automatically have a system stronger than PS3 and 360?

I think lowest end parts today are not as strong as xbox 360, but i doubt they will use so low end hardware anywway

Wazzim

Banned
I am pretty sure that it's technically superior compared to current generation, at the very least in power efficiency.

So it's going to be a lazy launch period port. Not really surprised, There is going to be a ton of lazy PS360 ports for the first 6 months of Wii U's life I think.

It will have to be a magnitude of 5 times stronger at least to see any leap n graphics.

If you left everything else about 360 exactly the same and simply gave it 512MB more RAM, you'd see noticeably better graphics.

How so? I doubt Nintendo will release specs.

They will show the games though, and that will tell most of the story, Additionally eventually the specs should leak (just like Apple doesnt tell us whats in the iPad, but we find out).

Just wait until e3. There will be no more wiggle room from both sides.
Not necessarily.

I don't think Nintendo have been prone to releasing technical specs with their recent hardware.

Third parties are largely making ports. Nintendo games like Mario Kart don't really have artstyles generally that would show off technical prowess.

We could still be entirely in the dark.

We get one thread from one company about how the Wii U is considerably more powerful that PS360, then we get one thread about how weak the Wii U is.

Man nintendo short sightedness and cheapness is really amusing.

I mean if the wii would have been cheap and low end but still comparable to xbox360/ps3 they would have had this entire gen in the bag, ps2 style. But since they are ultra cheapskates they used completely outdated hardware.

And now apparently they are doing the same shit again.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
On par with 360/PS3 is exactly what I was expecting, and Nintendo pretty much conveyed this by showing clips of current gen 360/PS3 games during the U's unveling.

It was wishful thinking expecting the U to be inbetween PS3/360 and the next round of PS4/Durango consoles.

udivision

I mean if the wii would have been cheap and low end but still comparable to xbox360/ps3 they would have had this entire gen in the bag, ps2 style. But since they are ultra cheapskates they used completely outdated hardware.

I think this time around they're betting that Sony and Microsoft might try to to make some money off the hardware, but the jokes on Nintendo since Sony and Microsoft don't have to do that.

magash

So in June 2011 they assumed it would be more powerful than the current systems, and by November 2011 they realized it was pretty much on the same level as the current system, and they've been saying that ever since.

By June 2011 Colin's team of 3-5 members were able to port the entire game (Darksiders II) to the Wii U in about 5 weeks. I think based on this fact we can accurately conclude that the team was in a unique position of knowing the capabilities of the Wii U in relation to the other HD consoles (i.e. the team concluded Wii U was stronger/more powerful than current HD consoles).

It was after the game was ported to the Wii U that game informer interviewed Colin Bonstead and he made that statement that I sourced earlier.

Or are you saying that it is more likely that statements made earlier are true and that they started lying after that? Because that is not a reasonable outcome.

I don't know why the director is contradicting what the technical director said it could be for a variety of reasons but what I can definitely say is that when it comes to matters of engine strengths and weaknesses or individual console raw power the technical director is in a better position to give you definite answers either way.

orioto

Good Art™
A real problem (not for mainstream but for gamers), is that WiiU will be far early. People will tell you it's a PS2 situation but it's not. PS brand was in the situation we know to begin with, but especially, PS2 was perceived as next gen. It was the first step of the next gen.

WiiU HAS to be perceived as such a thing, by displaying some fresh things. Even the tab thing is not so fresh. It's not like Motion control which could actually be perceived as "next gen" gameplay wise. Using a screen to control things can be cool for sure, but it's not revolutionary at all.

If the graphics seems ps360, even from far away, it will be perceived as nothing new, and worse, like taking a boat to nowhere, like repeating your last 5 school years! In the same time, there will be a graphical update for Nintendo ips for the first time in 10 years, so who knows.

Some early Nintendo fans who were frustrated by their graphic conservatism could be seduced if they see HD Zelda or Metroid with awesome art direction, even if it's far from next gen.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
We get one thread from one company about how the Wii U is considerably more powerful that PS360, then we get one thread about how weak the Wii U is.

If the developer had said the opposite, we'd have one on how powerful it is, and how Nintendo will dominate, brilliant Nintendo, yadda yadda yadda.

confused

Banned
By June 2011 Colin's team of 3-5 members were able to port the entire game (Darksiders II) to the Wii U in about 5 weeks. I think based on this fact we can accurately conclude that the team was in a unique position of knowing the capabilities of the Wii U in relation to the other HD consoles (i.e. the team concluded Wii U was stronger/more powerful than current HD consoles).

It was after the game was ported to the Wii U that game informer interviewed Colin Bonstead and he made that statement that I sourced earlier.

I don't know why the director is contradicting what the technical director said it could be for a variety of reasons but what I can definitely say is that when it comes to matters of engine strengths and weaknesses or individual console raw power the technical director is in a better position to give you definite answers either way.

A year ago a statement was made about expected hardware for the Wii-U, today a statement was made about the current specs of the Wii-U.

Either the expectations were set too high or the specs have been downgraded since then.

AniHawk

something you have to understand about the way they approached the current generation was that they were coming off the gamecube- the lowest-selling nintendo console since the 70s. making the wii a slimmed down gamecube with a peripheral was their way to make a new console while not getting slammed with costs and being able to stay alive in the event they would be unable to make it into a decent success. a lot of their attitude towards the machine made it clear that they did not anticipate the level of success the system reached- stuff like their 12m sales targets for the fiscal year ending in 2008, or how the wii was meant to be an 'and' system.

hindsight's 20/20 and all that, so yeah, if they had an hd machine that would act as the dreamcast to the 360's ps2, then maybe it wouldn't have been so bad.

i don't think just getting wii u approximations show the whole picture though. we don't know how much more powerful the next xbox and playstation are going to be. i think this generation taught all companies a lesson in accessibility that won't go ignored.

Dabanton

So it's going to be a lazy launch period port. Not really surprised, There is going to be a ton of lazy PS360 ports for the first 6 months of Wii U's life I think.

With most third party devs already or about to move onto the new Xbox/PS that's to be expected. I mean the biggest draw that devs who are doing this are saying is they'll use the controller for "extra functions". As much as i love a game like Arkham City, i see little point in paying full price for it again on WiiU so i can use a touchscreen functions that the devs have added. And maybe slightly better graphics.

And seeing how devs struggled with coming up with interesting ways to use the Wii controller, i'm not expecting too much thought being put into third party games touchscreen features.

It's going to be down to Nintendo to really show what this machine can do.

herod

For me, it only needs to be lag-free and get more third party support than Vita. Couch-based handheld gamer yo.

Why would you expect anything better than 360/PS3 performance? Look at the size of the unit and look at that controller. It's smaller than a 360 and the controller is more expensive to build than any current gen controller. Nintendo's not going to lose money on the hardware.

AniHawk

A real problem (not for mainstream but for gamers), is that WiiU will be far early. People will tell you it's a PS2 situation but it's not. PS brand was in the situation we know to begin with, but especially, PS2 was perceived as next gen. It was the first step of the next gen.

WiiU HAS to be perceived as such a thing, by displaying some fresh things. Even the tab thing is not so fresh. It's not like Motion control which could actually be perceived as "next gen" gameplay wise. Using a screen to control things can be cool for sure, but it's not revolutionary at all.

If the graphics seems ps360, even from far away, it will be perceived as nothing new, and worse, like taking a boat to nowhere, like repeating your last 5 school years! In the same time, there will be a graphical update for Nintendo ips for the first time in 10 years, so who knows.

Some early Nintendo fans who were frustrated by their graphic conservatism could be seduced if they see HD Zelda or Metroid with awesome art direction, even if it's far from next gen.

i remember when the 360 came out. it did well, but everyone was anticipating the ps3 more than anything else. lots of comments were made about it being the xbox 1.5 and games that didn't do the hardware justice were constantly made the subject of ridicule. then e306 happened. a combination of the general badness of the conference and the realization that the ps3 would not have games at launch that looked as good as the ones in the e305 trailer soured a lot of people on the machine, and the 360's reputation as the hardcore console of choice began to solidify (at least early on).

i expect people will have similarly high hopes that will be dashed by the reality of the next generation.

Top Bottom