• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

duckroll

Interview with Colin Bonstead, the technical director, from November 29, 2011. He doesn't say anything about Wii U hardware being more powerful than the current gen here. He said they got the game to the point that it was "at parity with other platforms" in time for E3.

Then general manager David Adams says "It's all the same assests from the normal build, we didn't really do much to it".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tl3HGOsAlx0#!

magash owned so hard.

SykoTech

OP and first two posts goes to mods.....

Fight the nepotism!

Lol.

No surprises here though. Anyone thinking that the Wii U is going to be miles ahead of the PS3 and 360 is delusional. I definitely think it will be more powerful then the HD twins (it damn better be), but the gap certainly won't be that big.

Can't say I'm too concerned about the tech though. Just hope it has lots of good games this time, that lookgood and don't revolve completely around gimmicks/novelty.

big_z

If that happened, we'd know.

no you wont because the specs were never out there. last year when nintendo started giving developers an idea what to aim for it was close to current gen. now that the specs are close to being finalised, if they havent been already, nothing has really changed.

its possible they cut back on ram or speed to save money as nintendo has a history of dumbing down specs late in developement but they're plan to offer yet another last gen system has never changed.

it's a shame nintendo is screwing themselves over yet again. it's okay to offer a new idea or gimmick but you need to cater to the 3rd parties that want to release multiplatform games without having to create a b-team to dumb down their software to get it to run on inferior hardware.

Darksiders 2 will be on par with current generation how many times do have have to put up with this BS all time we already know it not just current generation

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pfft what you guys don't understand is that Nintendo has a secret core that will be unlocked for UE4 graphics just you want I believe in Big N.

confused

Banned
Then why does Nintendo keep saying they want the Wii U to have a bigger market share than Wii? Or to even match Wii's market share?

Nintendo will need more than Mario and Zelda to grab a market outside of Nintendo fans. And there's no guarantee that all the casual gamers who made Wii a giant success story will buy a Wii U.

Wii was successful because it attracted more than just Nintendo fans. When they only attract Nintendo fans, they get GameCube sales.

And which games attracted these non-Nintendo people ? Wii sports and Wii sports Resort. 2 Nintendo games. 3rd party did nothing for the Wii's succes.

Like the novelty of 3D sold the 3DS? Past console success doesn't automatically transfer over, Nintendo of all companies should realize that. And whether or not the tablet screen proves to be a big hardware mover, having significant 3rd party support (ever if it's just ports) is important.

The novelty of 3D does sell the 3DS. Nintendo just totally mispriced the thing from the get go, once they adjusted the price sales skyrocketed.

And if it doesn't?

And on that note how novel do you think the mass market considers tablet/touch gaming?

If it doesn't Nintendo will pannick and release great software for it to try and convince people it's great. The mass-market loves tablets. How many tabs have been sold since the first Ipad ?

magash

Interview with Colin Bonstead, the technical director, from November 29, 2011. He doesn't say anything about Wii U hardware being more powerful than the current gen here. He said they got the game to the point that it was "at parity with other platforms" in time for E3.

Then general manager David Adams says "It's all the same assests from the normal build, we didn't really do much to it".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tl3HGOsAlx0#!

At the very least, Vigil believes that gamers can look forward to ports to Nintendo’s new console that are not inferior to every other version of the game. When we asked Bonstead if he thought it was possible that the Wii U version of Darksiders II would be the best version of the game, he said, "Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/07/could-project-caf-233-be-the-best-platform-for-darksiders-ii.aspx

This was said back in June 2011

Regardless of what he said last year, the lead designer is saying today its the same as the current gen, only difference being the unique controller.

Maybe the hardware specs from last year have been downgraded to reduce the price of the system?

Too be fair, there is a little bit of wiggle room there, and I'm sure some will seize on it.

Which is that, "on par" could mean lets say, it's 50% better than current gen, but as Alstrong on B3D stated, to Vigil Wii U is just another platform to support as inexpensively as possible. Therefore they do not make any alterations to the game on Wii U (for that matter, they dont make many on PC, presumably much more powerful than Wii U!).

The fact the guy stated the hardware is on par and not just the Wii U version of the game, though, does lessen the wiggle room.

My expectations on the Wii U should be well known, of course. I've never expected a lot. To me about the only drama left is, is it only equal or even slightly below PS360, or is it say, a solid 30% more powerful? At this point I'd expect Wii U fans should be happy with anything that's actually clearly more powerful than current gen, even if it's not a ton.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
With all the devs working on WiiU kits, even if there is a media or even some features embargo, i don't get why we can't just have one of them telling clearly if the thing can at least handle 1080p/60 where PS360 are stuck at 720P-/30-. That would be enough.

If not, it's the same ever and ever again. Nintendo game will look great, Nintendo fans will buy them. Mainstream market will, or will not embrace the family aspect, which will result in a phenomenon again, or a GameCube.
Regardless of its specs, I'd be very surprised by a significant amount of games running at 1080p/60fps.

no you wont because the specs were never out there. last year when nintendo started giving developers an idea what to aim for it was close to current gen. now that the specs are close to being finalised, if they havent been already, nothing has really changed.

its possible they cut back on ram or speed to save money as nintendo has a history of dumbing down specs late in developement but they're plan to offer yet another last gen system has never changed.
In case of a significant downgrade, rumor would get out. This is what I meant.

Pfft what you guys don't understand is that Nintendo has a secret core that will be unlocked for UE4 graphics just you want I believe in Big N.
I hear you connect it through the yellow port. The orange port, this time around, is reserved to Steam.

TheOddOne

2811246957_OhYOU_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Mr Swine

Banned
Are people really this disappointed that the Wii U can already produce graphics on par with the best looking Xbox360/PS3 this late in the consoles life? I'm more than happy to get this kind of visuals for first gen Wii U games than what we got with the Xbox360/PS3 *shudder*

Fredrik

In other words; Nintendo will win again.
New gameplay mechanics (gimmicks if you like), less powerful hardware that can eventually go down a lot i price and push the others off the cliff, plus Nintendo's creativity and AAA games that never fails combined with better third party support. Perfect.

Oddduck

And which games attracted these non-Nintendo people ? Wii sports and Wii sports Resort. 2 Nintendo games. 3rd party did nothing for the Wii's succes.

The novelty of 3D does sell the 3DS. Nintendo just totally mispriced the thing from the get go, once they adjusted the price sales skyrocketed.

Go look at the sales.

Just Dance 2 sold 5 million copies.
Michael Jackson: The Experience (2 million)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2 million)
Deca Sports (2 million shipped)
Game Party (2 million shipped)
Monster Hunter Tri (1.9 million)
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (1.9 million)

Just Dance 2 sold more than every Zelda and Metroid game released on Wii. Mario games are the only ones that can still get over 5 million copies sold.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
to me, is not so surprising that a late port of a ps360 game that obviously will not have the wiiu version as a main focus due to the release date, will have on the tv screen the same visual quality of the ps360 version.
you know, to manage the Upad "unique" use keeping the same quality of other consoles, means that the HW is more powerful than other consoles.
they are focusing on the uses of the Upad and not in the better graphics, for this multiplatform port.
nothing "stunning" in my opinion.

How useful is this statement? I don't think there is anyone doubting that the WiiU is more powerful than the current gen, just the degree.

Tell that to Just Dance.

confused

Banned
Go look at the sales. Just Dance 2 sold 5 million copies. That's more than every Zelda and Metroid game released on Wii. Mario games are the only ones that can still get over 5 million copies sold.

Wii series sold more with each iteration except Music, I guess. Just dance sales came from the installed userbase, it probably didn't sell that many Wii's.

Wii sports did more for the Wii's succes than Just dance did.

Go look at the sales.

Just Dance 2 sold 5 million copies.
Michael Jackson: The Experience (2 million)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2 million)
Deca Sports (2 million shipped)
Game Party (2 million shipped)
Monster Hunter Tri (1.9 million)
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (1.9 million)

Just Dance 2 sold more than every Zelda and Metroid game released on Wii. Mario games are the only ones that can still get over 5 million copies sold.

I'm looking at these sales and not a single one of those games shifted a significant amount of hardware.

I suspect the large price cut, two Marios and a Monster Hunter with the promise of more to come is what's selling the 3DS far more than the 3D itself. Coupled with a lot of third party support.

The 3D USP was highly me-too at a time when 3D was seen as the next big thing. The public mood has subsequently soured on the 3D gimmick in general.
If it doesn't Nintendo will pannick and release great software for it to try and convince people it's great. The mass-market loves tablets. How many tabs have been sold since the first Ipad ?
That was what I was getting at. It's not a novelty.

Are people really this disappointed that the Wii U can already produce graphics on par with the best looking Xbox360/PS3 this late in the consoles life? I'm more than happy to get this kind of visuals for first gen Wii U games than what we got with the Xbox360/PS3 *shudder*

I'm expecting the games to look better than PS360 games for sure, but this far down the road I am expecting a little more.

We got games like PGR3, Kameo and Condemned with the 360 launch, they still look good by today's standards and were a considerable leap above the previous gen at the time. I guess it's up to Nintendo to deliver launch software that doesn't look like a port.

udivision

I'm beginning to doubt the notion that only diehard Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles for first party games. Considering the sales of Mario Kart Wii/DS and NSMB(W), I'm willing to bet that a chunk of casuals will do the same.

orioto

Good Art™
To be purely objective, we know something. Back when 3ds was released, Nintendo was into "We're the king, we can aim for higher price than before cause people love us". WiiU was developped in that spirit probably. After what we know happened, they now know they can't afford to raise the prices too much. I really wouldn't be surprise if they downgraded the thing a little at this point.

Durante

Well, I've been convinced since the first rumours (and stated so on this board) that Wii U will be closer to current-gen than next-gen in terms of hardware. If even one developer states that it's similar in overall power then this is the only conclusion you can draw -- if it were a true generational leap then such a statement simply wouldn't happen, the difference would be too large.

'More powerful' doesn't even begin to counter 'on par'. The PS3 is arguably more powerful than the 360, it is without question on par however.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying.

To be purely objective, we know something. Back when 3ds was released, Nintendo was into "We're the king, we can aim for higher price than before cause people love us". WiiU was develop in that spirit probably. After what we know happened, they now know they can't afford to raise the prices too much. I really wouldn't surprise if they downgraded the thing a little at this point.
I think the only thing they'd downgrade in such a scenario would be the price.

Oddduck

Wii series sold more with each iteration except Music, I guess. Just dance sales came from the installed userbase, it probably didn't sell that many Wii's.

Wii sports did more for the Wii's succes than Just dance did.

Also Wii sold 94.97 million...Did Mario, Zelda, and Metroid sell 94.97 million Wii's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

It doesn't look like the 94 million people who bought Wii's bought 94 million copies of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, or Donkey Kong.

Wii Sports did more for Wii's success but it started the casual craze beyond Nintendo franchises.

Wii U needs something beyond just Nintendo franchises to do Wii numbers.

Vorg

Banned
Didn't we know about this already? I mean, Nintendo did pitch the hardware to developers as being easy to port stuff from 360 IIRC.

It really is sounding like the early 3rd party stuff is shaping up to be current gen ports with bolted on WiiU functionality. Even if the WiiU is marginally more powerful than 360/PS3, how is getting a bunch of ports and tacked on tablet stuff going to really show that off? I fully expect the bulk of 3rd party lead development to move from 360 to it's successor. If that happens, what is WiiU's place in the market going to be, especially if they stumble at all with the mainstream?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone shocked by this has had their head buried in the sand when it comes to Nintendo over the past decade.

Sorc3r3r

If you are going to have an expensive controller, you are going to have less money for silicon
on a fixed budget.

I know is a simple statement, but it seems most do not realize it.

Social

Why did anyone think otherwise again? They have been quite clear about this ever since the unveil. It's an Xbox 360 in a smaller box. It will have low power consumption, reliable hardware and succeed because of amazing first party support and ports.

duckroll

So in June 2011 they assumed it would be more powerful than the current systems, and by November 2011 they realized it was pretty much on the same level as the current system, and they've been saying that ever since.

Or are you saying that it is more likely that statements made earlier are true and that they started lying after that? Because that is not a reasonable outcome.

confused

Banned
Also Wii sold 94.97 million...Did Mario, Zelda, and Metroid sell 94.97 million Wii's?

It doesn't look like the 94 million people who bought Wii's bought 94 million copies of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, or Donkey Kong.

Stop being Obtuse, NSMBwii sold like gazillion copies, so did MKwii. Those games actually sold hardware, too.

Wii..... series sold millions too, and also shifted hardware.

Resident evil, Michael Jackson etc. did nothing for Wii hardware sales.

How can you possibly know? Just Dance has been the most important title/series on the Wii for several years now.

Spikes in hardware sales during the release of those games. Look at Wii hardware charts for MKwii/NSMBwii release. They sold tons of consoles on those two titles alone. You really think people went out and bought a Wii for RE4 or Micheal Jackson ?

Wii Sports did more for Wii's success but it started the casual craze beyond Nintendo franchises.

Wii U needs something beyond just Nintendo franchises to do Wii numbers.
orly.jpg

nasos_333

So basically a PS360 + more RAM + different controller.
- more RAM could bring better textures
- different controller could bring interesting experiences

But the question is: will 3rd parties jump on this, especially 2-3 years down the road?

I dont think the hardware will be so weak, i mean it has been 6+ years since xbox 360 launch, how can they possibly have so weak hardware in there ?

My guess is that will be like mid range PC today, maybe not at launch, but after optimization will definatly perform near that

Also WiiU is not competing with PS4/720 and it is evident since it is releasing far before those systems and packs a very expensive screen in the box, which will definalty take away from the graphics hardware, in order for the whole package have a competitive price

Nintendo is doing what they did with Wii again and i cant blame them since they made some huge profit with that strategy

Averon

They are packing in a tablet controller with a decent/good screen. That will undoubtedly affect the budget for high tech silicon. Like the Wii Nintendo is sacrificing power for a unique player experience via the controller. This was pretty obvious from the get go. i don't see why there should be surprise.

With recent rumors of the PS4/720 being powerful enough to run Samaritan (albeit likely a bit downgraded), this could be Wii and PS360 all over again.

Spikes in hardware sales during the release of those games. Look at Wii hardware charts for MKwii/NSMBwii release. They sold tons of consoles on those two titles alone.

The Just Dance titles are released in the holiday season during the Wii's sales spikes as well, you can't disqualify it with that criteria. I'd say that post NSMB Wii they have been the most important titles for the console.

I'm beginning to doubt the notion that only diehard Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles for first party games. Considering the sales of Mario Kart Wii/DS and NSMB(W), I'm willing to bet that a chunk of casuals will do the same.
The casual base bought the system for the Wii ___ craze.

They also likely bought Mario Kart and NSMB in large numbers.

That doesn't necessitate that they would all buy a new system in itself for those games.

It's not like the GameCube didn't have Mario Kart or Super Mario.

This is what ive been saying all along.

Wii u is basically wii 2. It will have the same problem attracting 3rd party. And the ports from the real next gen console will look atrocious on it.

I guess the real question is whether the gimmick can attract non gaming masses this time around.

If not, it's the same ever and ever again. Nintendo game will look great, Nintendo fans will buy them. Mainstream market will, or will not embrace the family aspect, which will result in a phenomenon again, or a GameCube.

So it's a win-win scenario.

Don't see the problem with that.

Durante

They are packing in a tablet controller with a decent/good screen. That will undoubtedly affect the budget for high tech silicon. Like the Wii Nintendo is sacrificing power for a unique player experience via the controller.
It seems like a slightly worse deal for Nintendo though, a screen will always be at least $15 in production costs or so, while the sensors in the Wii remote are completely negligible in terms of costs.

confused

Banned
The Just Dance titles are released in the holiday season during the Wii's sales spikes as well, you can't disqualify it with that criteria. I'd say that post NSMB Wii they have been the most important titles for the console.

Ok, then I'll admit that Just Dance probably could've been a system seller. The rest of that list is just laughable.

MonHun might've sold some, too. The rest are pretty safe to say did nothing for hardware sales.

orioto

Good Art™
I dont think the hardware will be so weak, i mean it has been 6+ years since xbox 360 launch, how can they possibly have so weak hardware in there ?

My guess is that will be like mid range PC today, maybe not at launch, but after optimization will definatly perform near that

Let's imagine they realized 350, or even 300 euros would be too much and they want to stay at 250€.
Now, we don't know how much cost the tab.
We don't know if they want to put a wiimote in the box (cause let's remember that if they don't, they shouldn't even call that thing a Wii to begin with...)
We know they want something small and not energy heavy.

Honestly i think there isn't that much room for them in that case.

nasos_333

This is what ive been saying all along.

Wii u is basically wii 2. It will have the same problem attracting 3rd party. And the ports from the real next gen console will look atrocious on it.

I guess the real question is whether the gimmick can attract non gaming masses this time around.

In its defence, it will get the best ports than any console for at least a year, until xbox 720 arrives

Top Bottom